Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
I won the tutorial election with 63% - I didn't do anything special, just built a clinic to improve health care, a couple of entertainment buildings, and issued all the +approval edicts. I did restrict voting to the rich in my constitution; that might have made the difference since the tax cut edict gave me a 20% or so boost.

Edit: There's nothing after you win, just a message from Penultimo and then it kicks you back to the main menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Davincie posted:

Are there actual interactive invasions now or is it still just a game over screen?

Invasions are basically rebel attacks, but bigger. As in rebels aren't nearly as likely to have armor, or as much armor.

Also, there's really no reason to rush through the colonial period. I just got the most awesome trade deal setup thanks to event: I can import half-priced gold from the pirates then sell it at an inflated price alongside well as the normal gold I get from my mine to the smugglers. I am going to milk this deal until the 11th hour of my royal mandate.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

It's pretty good so far. A few things I like are the way they structured up wealth levels as broke, poor, well-off, rich and filthy rich. This lets you control to some extent where people live, for example by creating a cluster of houses and increasing the budget to set the wealth requirement to rich. This lets me create quarters where the wealthy übermenschen live, with their collges and luxury entertainment, while the poories live in farm towns with a clinic and a bar. This actually works because you can set it so that only the wealthy vote and this way you'll only have to worry about their happiness (and beat down the poor rebels with your middle class soldiers).

This game is fun :D

Wow, a capitalist plutocracy! Now that's opression!

Still can't play this game until they release the Mac version of it…but it sounds fun!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
What forces the ability to declare independence? I researched constitution and have extended the colonial era a bunch of times now but I still have a gently caress ton of loyalists annoying me. Now I'm down to a year left until the crown replaces me and I'm swimming in cash and happy citizens but I can't figure out how to declare independence.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

What forces the ability to declare independence? I researched constitution and have extended the colonial era a bunch of times now but I still have a gently caress ton of loyalists annoying me. Now I'm down to a year left until the crown replaces me and I'm swimming in cash and happy citizens but I can't figure out how to declare independence.

Constitution and >51% supporters. At least that's what the game says.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

You need 50% approval. The way to do it is to do quests that increase your revolutionary support and the amount of revolutionaries since royalists all have a very low opinion of you and revolutionaries have a very high opinion.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I guess it's a classic Tropico problem/bug, but I just can't get rid of these shacks. I have all kinds of housing at every level of pricing sitting empty and these fuckers wander in and build a shack right next to an empty apartment block set to their wealth level. Very frustrating.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

You need 50% approval. The way to do it is to do quests that increase your revolutionary support and the amount of revolutionaries since royalists all have a very low opinion of you and revolutionaries have a very high opinion.

Thanks, I eventually got it. It was just that every time I got over 50% another boat full of 10+ loyalists would arrive and push me right back below the threshold.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Oh no! You can't choose the first name of your dictator anymore. How am I supposed to find it amusing to name myself a Spanish-ized version of my name now? :ohdear:

ETA: Hilariously, Catalina is actually a choosable name, as is a name that's close to a shortened version of my RL name.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 24, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah there is an absurd list of names but why take out the option to enter your own name to begin with?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

loving gently caress gently caress...I finally managed to get myself more or less stable on WW era. You desperately need to get your highschool up ASAP. Make sure you have 7K in the bank before you switch eras so you can plop it down immediately, then give it all the money to make sure it fills up and stays filled up. You need highschool education to work anything profitable in WW era.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Catalina posted:

Oh no! You can't choose the first name of your dictator anymore. How am I supposed to find it amusing to name myself a Spanish-ized version of my name now? :ohdear:
My El Presidentes have always been Sleazy Martinez. I was really looking forward to having him in the dynasty mechanic so he could have an assortment of evil octuplets.

Ah well, there's always mods.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Man, I was killing poo poo in the WW era. Everything was going my way. Finished researching the stuff to make an alliance with the allies and as soon as I clicked on it I see Conditions: Survive Invasion...

gently caress

There's no cancelling the treaty at that point. No material support form the allies. Suddenly there's tanks on my goddam island. Whatever, this is gonna suck, but maybe I can make it out of this alive if I sacrifice a ton of buildings?

WRONG

"El Presidente, A huge wave is approaching!" *insert cutscene of a giant rear end tsunami hitting my island* When I regain control all my troops are gone and all of my military installations are flattened.

Well, I guess my most recent autosave was only two years back
:suicide:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

Man, I was killing poo poo in the WW era. Everything was going my way. Finished researching the stuff to make an alliance with the allies and as soon as I clicked on it I see Conditions: Survive Invasion...

gently caress

There's no cancelling the treaty at that point. No material support form the allies. Suddenly there's tanks on my goddam island. Whatever, this is gonna suck, but maybe I can make it out of this alive if I sacrifice a ton of buildings?

WRONG

"El Presidente, A huge wave is approaching!" *insert cutscene of a giant rear end tsunami hitting my island* When I regain control all my troops are gone and all of my military installations are flattened.

Well, I guess my most recent autosave was only two years back
:suicide:

Yeah, I wanna say any reviewer who bitched about this game being too easy to fail like 3/4 had to be playing the campaign or something, or the devs really upped difficulty in a very late patch. I gotta say I approve though because now you actually have to care about popularity and military beyond a token effort. It just takes a little getting used to.

Edit: Also a draught just hit. I'm so loving glad I just bought firetrucks for my police stations.

Edit 2: And 5's Penultimo demonstrates he is way more competent in this game. "We can make our army work better by putting the most incompetent offecers on the front lines and give them the brightest, most ornate uniforms we can."

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 24, 2014

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, I wanna say any reviewer who bitched about this game being too easy to fail like 3/4 had to be playing the campaign or something, or the devs really upped difficulty in a very late patch. I gotta say I approve though because now you actually have to care about popularity and military beyond a token effort. It just takes a little getting used to.

Edit: Also a draught just hit. I'm so loving glad I just bought firetrucks for my police stations.

Yeah, I can see what the reviewers are saying about difficulty because it's not hard to get to a point where you're making obscene amounts of cash. If I researched and deployed tanks before establishing that treaty I probably would have been just fine under normal conditions. I just hit the absolute extreme of RNG bad luck when a natural disaster hit at the worst possible time and wiped out the exact buildings I needed to maybe make it out of that situation alive.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

Yeah, I can see what the reviewers are saying about difficulty because it's not hard to get to a point where you're making obscene amounts of cash. If I researched and deployed tanks before establishing that treaty I probably would have been just fine under normal conditions. I just hit the absolute extreme of RNG bad luck when a natural disaster hit at the worst possible time and wiped out the exact buildings I needed to maybe make it out of that situation alive.

Yeah, that's a pretty nasty combination. But yeah, there are some nasty pitfalls we now have to learn the hard way.

Personally I've been reeling from switching to WW era with professional army (soldiers must have high school education) after building up a nice army to give His Magesty the finger. It took me way too long to realize why I my factories weren't filling up: I hadn't built a highschool and all my highschool educated folks were busy filling out my bloated (for colonial) military.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Personally I've been reeling from switching to WW era with professional army (soldiers must have high school education) after building up a nice army to give His Magesty the finger. It took me way too long to realize why I my factories weren't filling up: I hadn't built a highschool and all my highschool educated folks were busy filling out my bloated (for colonial) military.

I was actually ready for that hurdle since I was used to rushing to cigar factories in T3 and 4 (requires HS) and was planning to do the same thing here. So I built a HS immediately after the transition and set the wage rate to max, and as soon as I saw a problem developing with my military/factories I built a second one.

Oh well, when I get back from vacation in a week I'll know to research tanks and then save before clicking on that treaty.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

I was actually ready for that hurdle since I was used to rushing to cigar factories in T3 and 4 (requires HS) and was planning to do the same thing here. So I built a HS immediately after the transition and set the wage rate to max, and as soon as I saw a problem developing with my military/factories I built a second one.

Oh well, when I get back from vacation in a week I'll know to research tanks and then save before clicking on that treaty.

That's probably a good idea.

As someone who managed to scrape through the alliance battle though, I have to say it's totally worth it. Your allied faction starts dropping about $20K on you a year once you fight off the invasion.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What is the benefit of male citzizen only vote?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
:negative: I could have sworn my graphics card was DX11 capable but it isn't. Why god, why!?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So cheapskate is a thing again. -% building costs are amazing and I will always get as many of them as humanly possible. Is it possible to get multiple cheapskates in the same dynasty? If so, that would be absurd.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Well my friend and I started a co-op multiplayer game, we're both kind of slow-and-steady builder types when it comes to these games. Turns out multiplayer is permanently locked at double speed and doesn't allow saving. :butt:

Here's to hoping we at least get the option for those things in patches.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Iowa posted:

Well my friend and I started a co-op multiplayer game, we're both kind of slow-and-steady builder types when it comes to these games. Turns out multiplayer is permanently locked at double speed and doesn't allow saving. :butt:

Here's to hoping we at least get the option for those things in patches.

Seriously? You can't save multiplayer sessions? That's something major to not leave in. I understand not having the ability to change speed, but no saving?

If you two are building an amazing island together, I doubt you want to marathon it.

Besides that issue, how does multiplayer work anyways? How do you win?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Gah, could they make finding oil any more frustrating? I scoured my island after I got the tech for it, couldn't find any, then tripped over a geyser next to one of my mine hubs. I've since scoured my island and the ocean and still can't find anymore. I miss 3 and 4 where you could hit a button and have oil deposits (as well as any and all other mineral deposits) shown easily. Having an option to light up and color code any and all revealed deposits were would be great.

Edit: Also it's really annoying that while the ore deposit disappears when used up, you still can't build on the spot.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 24, 2014

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
What on earth is with the menus lagging? Anyone found a way to stop this happening? It's taking a good 45 seconds to a minute to display the next menu after I click on a button. Ingame it's fine, but yeesh.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Gah, could they make finding oil any more frustrating? I scoured my island after I got the tech for it, couldn't find any, then tripped over a geyser next to one of my mine hubs. I've since scoured my island and the ocean and still can't find anymore. I miss 3 and 4 where you could hit a button and have oil deposits (as well as any and all other mineral deposits) shown easily. Having an option to light up and color code any and all revealed deposits were would be great.

Doesn't researching the compass reveal everything?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

Doesn't researching the compass reveal everything?

It reveals everything, but there's no easy map highlight. There's just white dots on the map for deposits. No indication what those white dots (that easily blend into the trapezoid showing your camera coverage) actually are.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
For those struggling with the tutorial remember you have infinite money during it. Just put down everything that makes people happy. I replayed it when I redownloaded it and got something like 80% of the vote just by spamming everything.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How long is it until the campaign puts me somewhere other than those two islands? I'm getting sick of them.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 24, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

How long is it until the campaign puts me somewhere other than those two islands? I'm getting sick of them.

As soon as you put down the campaign and go play sandbox.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Started a sandbox game, around 1938 or so right now.

Game is fun, harder than the previous one which is good. I've actually lost an election and had to go back a couple years and give the drat people a church. Graphics look good.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alkydere posted:

As soon as you put down the campaign and go play sandbox.

Seriously? They have the same amount of maps as Tropico 4 and the Campaign uses only 2 of them? Jeez.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Seriously? They have the same amount of maps as Tropico 4 and the Campaign uses only 2 of them? Jeez.

It's for continuity reasons. Your campaign maps save, so when you come back to your island in a new era you keep everything you built already. If they let you play the campaign on 10 maps you would end up starting pretty much over or skipping entire era's on some maps.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

It's for continuity reasons. Your campaign maps save, so when you come back to your island in a new era you keep everything you built already. If they let you play the campaign on 10 maps you would end up starting pretty much over or skipping entire era's on some maps.

What's wrong with skipping an era? Modern Times started different missions at different dates, it was fine.
If they wanted continuity they could've switched the island every 4 missions or so.
The way they done it right now I see no reason to play the campaign anymore. I'm already sick of those islands.

Well, there's Sandbox and Multiplayer.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

What's wrong with skipping an era? Modern Times started different missions at different dates, it was fine.
If they wanted continuity they could've switched the island every 4 missions or so.
The way they done it right now I see no reason to play the campaign anymore. I'm already sick of those islands.

Well, there's Sandbox and Multiplayer.

The way it works is that there are two missions per era. You build on the islands and get past the colonial era on both, then you pick which one you want to play on first in the great wars era and you continue your old island with all the stuff you've already built. If you skipped era's then you'd start the modern era on a lovely island with a couple of farms, some guard towers and a fort that you used to beat off the king, but with none of the infrastructure you'd expect to have like highschools, factories etc.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The game doesn't tell you this expect rarely in a semi-monthly event listing, but if you're in the red you accumulate in the unrest.

Which explains why I kept getting coups.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

The game doesn't tell you this expect rarely in a semi-monthly event listing, but if you're in the red you accumulate in the unrest.

Which explains why I kept getting coups.

That really helps push you to get out of colonial as quick as possible too then. Because those random colonial taxes were always putting me back in the red. And that was after refusing a bunch of times while trying to get the colony truly going.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

If you skipped era's then you'd start the modern era on a lovely island with a couple of farms, some guard towers and a fort that you used to beat off the king, but with none of the infrastructure you'd expect to have like highschools, factories etc.

They could place pre-built building already on the map, like they did in the previous game.

I suppose it's a matter of taste but personally I don't like the way they did it in this one. There's no opportunity to try anything new.
If i was building a massive agricultural industry on an island I won't be able to change that, It'll always be focused on agriculture. Obviously I could level everything and start from scratch but that will probably make me lose the scenario.

In Tropico 4 you had to make an island that has a giant army to detriment of everything else, next mission you had to mine a million gold while getting earthquakes constantly, after that you had to build everything around radar dishes, which you could only build 5 of, while trying to build a huge healthcare system as fast as possible. Every time you got to start a new + some bonus building usually, so there was a lot of room for experimentation.
It was somewhat more fun if you ask me.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

IAmTheRad posted:

Seriously? You can't save multiplayer sessions? That's something major to not leave in. I understand not having the ability to change speed, but no saving?

If you two are building an amazing island together, I doubt you want to marathon it.

Besides that issue, how does multiplayer work anyways? How do you win?

Yeah, this pretty much kills any desire for us to actually do multiplayer. Conflicting schedules mean we only have a few hours every few days to play together, and the way we play games like this means it'd take longer than a couple of hours to wrap a game up. I think for us, the ideal situation would be fully functional multiplayer (IE: Saves), and with speed being handled like Shogun: Total War. The way it worked there was one of us would click the speed we want and it would show a little "1" over that speed, and then if the other person clicked that speed it would change to it.

We didn't see the point in getting too deep into it as it stands right now, but we set up a multiplayer game with both of us on the same team. Winning seems to be controlled by the same options you have access to in sandbox mode. We had access to a new diplomacy menu which let us do things like send cash to each other, share our teamsters, share resources, share electricity, and a few other things.

I really do hope these things get patched in, as we spent a great deal of time messing around in Anno 2070 multiplayer, and multiplayer Tropico sounded right up our alley.

Coeurl Marx fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flamingdawg
May 25, 2006
I dunno, I can't get over the hurdle to spend full price on this having played 4 to death. Perhaps when it is cheap.

Hopefully it is better than Omerta.

• Locked thread