Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Royal W posted:

Good on the pilot for riding it out though.
"I got this. I got this *CRASH*
... I got this."

He ejected just before the plane came to a stop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfuw0PXlRn0

Supposedly, according to this website at least (and a video that I saw long ago), there are times where you might want to hit the gas in an emergency:
http://tkolb.net/tra_sch/SafeDriving/control.html

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

So, uh, how do they handle pilot reprimands in that situation? Grats son you just cost your country half a billion dollars. :stare:

Well, if your dad is someone important in the navy, you basically get to fly and crash 2 more and then run for president while inflicting weird white trash folksy brain dead abominations of smarm into the political theater.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

It's everything I ever wanted

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

american_presidents.gif
glorious

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I just managed to take a dip in the hot tub - with the company iPhone in my pocket. :bang:

On one hand, I hope my boss (the owner of the company) doesn't read his email this late since I don't want to ruin his Friday night. On the other hand, I want him to reply back to me so I can stop freaking out about it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

KillHour posted:

I just managed to take a dip in the hot tub - with the company iPhone in my pocket. :bang:

On one hand, I hope my boss (the owner of the company) doesn't read his email this late since I don't want to ruin his Friday night. On the other hand, I want him to reply back to me so I can stop freaking out about it.

After I lost a copy of Mega Man Battle Network and several Yu-Gi-Oh! cards to the water (on seperate occasions) as a child, I learned to compulsively multi-check my pockets before going anywhere near deep water.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who the hell intentionally gets into water wearing things with pockets? :psyduck: (swimming trunks with pockets don't count for this purpose)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Orange Mage posted:

Who the hell intentionally gets into water wearing things with pockets? :psyduck: (swimming trunks with pockets don't count for this purpose)

My swimming trunks have pockets. :suicide:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Yeah, I've read about pilots ejecting at the last possible second because they stuck with the plane to guide it away from a crowd, a house, whatever. Playing chicken with a planet is a level of ballsy I could never, ever be.

But no pilot wants to look like these guys who ejected just before the last possible second...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=122_1308793725

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

A bus driver boiling his passengers by attempting to drive through a geyser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRAqIXZkH7Y

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Palpek posted:

A bus driver boiling his passengers by attempting to drive through a geyser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRAqIXZkH7Y

The bus driver is still less of an rear end in a top hat than whoever filmed it :colbert:

edit: with the crumbling soviet infrastructure, and russia's love for dashcams, expect to see more of this stuff. In a lot of cities there, every building is heated by hot water piped throughout the city.

Powershift has a new favorite as of 09:15 on May 24, 2014

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Powershift posted:

The bus driver is still less of an rear end in a top hat than whoever filmed it :colbert:

edit: with the crumbling soviet infrastructure, and russia's love for dashcams, expect to see more of this stuff. In a lot of cities there, every building is heated by hot water piped throughout the city.

The bus driver ran out of the bus without opening the passenger doors.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Nipponophile posted:

But no pilot wants to look like these guys who ejected just before the last possible second...

If they HADN'T ejected, could their extra weight have caused what they were afraid of happening, to happen?

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

thespaceinvader posted:

If they HADN'T ejected, could their extra weight have caused what they were afraid of happening, to happen?

That looks like an A-6 Intruder. The Intruder has an empty weight in the neighborhood of 25,000 lbs and a maximum takeoff weight of something like 55,000 lbs. Those two guys probably weigh in at 350ish pounds. The margin didn't look anywhere near that narrow, to me. I am going to say, "no."

Edit: There's also the weight of the seats to be considered, but that's offset by the fact that I checked, and the A-6 actually has a takeoff weight of over 60,000 pounds.

Centripetal Horse has a new favorite as of 10:08 on May 24, 2014

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

Ejecting isn't even very safe, and it's EXTREMELY uncomfortable, to the point that you end up several inches shorter and can have a bunch of broken bones. I mean, it beats dying in a horrible explosive fireball, but not by a large amount.

Yeah, I think as a pilot you can go through two, maybe three ejections, and then your spine and legs are just so hosed up that your flying career is basically over.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Speaking of Harrier fuckups:

quote:

That is a TAV-8B assigned to VMAT-203 in Cherry Point. They experienced hung landing gear (repeat gripe on that jet) and contacted base for troubleshooting. The EP involves cycling some circuit breakers, cycling the gear, and requesting visual inspection. If none of that works (which it didn't), you blow down the gear.

At some point, the squadron let the MAG CO know what was going on (for what reason, I have no idea). He was worried that if they blew the gear down and the nose gear still hung up, it would crack the frame of one of the scarce T-birds. He directed that the pilot do a gear up vertical landing. It would crush the strakes and probably FOD the motor, but it's better than cracking the frame. He directed the mattresses to be placed under the nose.

When the pilot heard about all of this, he refused to do it unless he heard it directly from the MAG CO. The MAG CO got on the radio and told him to do it. The landing was pretty unremarkable, despite the photos. The damage was limited to the engine (Fodded), and the strakes (crushed). Expensive, but not the end of the world. When they jacked it up, they we able to blow the gear down with no problems.

This is when the story gets even weirder. Once the jet was in the hangar, relatively undamaged, an EZ-go golf cart came flying into the hangar and smashed into the jet, causing some D-level repair damage.

It turns out that LCpl. Schmuckatelli was huffing keyboard cleaner before making his parts run in the EZ-go. He got really dizzy, lost consciousness, and the cart went out of control. It drove directly into the hangar at full speed through a gap in the hangar doors and smashed the jet. Like I said, the truth is sometimes stranger than fiction. You couldn't make up something that bizarre.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DNova posted:

The bus driver ran out of the bus without opening the passenger doors.

Well, then let's call it a wash.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Powershift posted:

Well, then let's call it a wash.

They were a bunch of dirty commies, after all.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kruller posted:

They were a bunch of dirty commies, after all.

For most of them, that probably wasn't the worst part of their day.

In this video, a guy on a motorcycle with a side car learns that adding a sidecar to a motorcycle doesn't turn it into a real car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lx66aI5QAU

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Centripetal Horse posted:

That looks like an A-6 Intruder. The Intruder has an empty weight in the neighborhood of 25,000 lbs and a maximum takeoff weight [MTOW] of something like 55,000 lbs. Those two guys probably weigh in at 350ish pounds. The margin didn't look anywhere near that narrow, to me. I am going to say, "no."

Edit: There's also the weight of the seats to be considered, but that's offset by the fact that I checked, and the A-6 actually has a takeoff weight of over 60,000 pounds.

It could have potentially had an effect because it was landing and likely notably lower in weight than it was at MTOW. Also, it's not so much weight that affects it, but the center of gravity change. The further away a weight is from the CG, the more it can affect changes (weight x arm = moment). A sudden loss of (a guess) ~700lbs of the pilots, seats, canopy, etc at the forward side of the plane would shift the CG aft a good bit. Coupled with the reduction in weight, the plane would find it much easier to fly up.

No idea what all was working in this incident, though, and whether or not it was still flyable.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

C.M. Kruger posted:

They had mattresses ready for such an incident?!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Ok now avatar sized?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Three-Phase posted:

They had mattresses ready for such an incident?!

Military installations tend to have very good logistics. And a lot of mattresses.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

AzureSkys posted:

It could have potentially had an effect because it was landing and likely notably lower in weight than it was at MTOW. Also, it's not so much weight that affects it, but the center of gravity change. The further away a weight is from the CG, the more it can affect changes (weight x arm = moment). A sudden loss of (a guess) ~700lbs of the pilots, seats, canopy, etc at the forward side of the plane would shift the CG aft a good bit. Coupled with the reduction in weight, the plane would find it much easier to fly up.

No idea what all was working in this incident, though, and whether or not it was still flyable.

I'm obviously guessing, since I don't know what else was at play, either. If the vehicle was dead empty except for the passengers, their ejection would have had more of an effect. Bailing out still looks premature to me, but I am not a fighter pilot. I'm just someone who loves aircraft.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nipponophile posted:

'I must go now. My planet needs me.'

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

C.M. Kruger posted:

The best part of that is that fodding out the engine like that is a ridiculously more expensive repair than if he'd just gently belly-landed it. The guy who came up with the idea for the mattresses was a fuckwit.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Phanatic posted:

The best part of that is that fodding out the engine like that is a ridiculously more expensive repair than if he'd just gently belly-landed it. The guy who came up with the idea for the mattresses was a fuckwit.

Did they not essentially belly land it but at a much slower velocity? Also, the repair may have been expensive but it sounds like they were trying to avoid total airframe loss, which would be much more expensive.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

6675636b20796f75 posted:

Did they not essentially belly land it but at a much slower velocity? Also, the repair may have been expensive but it sounds like they were trying to avoid total airframe loss, which would be much more expensive.

The Harrier's got an emergency system of pressurized nitrogen to blow the gear down in the event of an emergency where they won't extend on their own, and that's actually the written procedure (NATOPS) for what to do in that situation, but the pilot was ordered not to do it and instead to land his plane on a bunch of metal springs; the MAG CO had apparently seen this procedure used with a CH-53, but that's an enormously and obviously different aircraft. The fact that the downdraft of a vertically-descending Harrier would, you know, blow the mattresses around right by its enormous engine intakes, was entirely foreseeable by anyone with a clue. And the only reason that stack of mattresses didn't catch on fire could be termed "luck." The guy who decided NATOPS was wrong shouldn't be an O-6 anymore, and I don't think he is; this was hashed over in one of the SA aviation threads.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Bulls win! Bulls win! Bulls win!

quote:

A prestigious bullfighting event in Spain ended in a very unusual way—with a knockout victory for the bulls. The first bull of the evening at Madrid's Las Ventas stadium badly gored bullfighter David Mora in the leg, tossed him in the air, and pummeled him into the ground, reports the Telegraph. The evening's second bull injured the knee of the next bullfighter and gored the thigh and hip of a third, forcing organizers of the San Isidro bullfighting festival to call off the event for the first time since 1979.

Mora suffered the worst injuries (including a severed femoral artery) of the three bullfighters and the 33-year-old is now in a serious but no longer life-threatening condition after blood transfusions and two hours of surgery, the BBC reports. The other two bullfighters suffered less serious injuries. Some 2,000 bullfights are still held in Spain every year but the numbers are falling—and in 2010, Catalonia became the first region in mainland Spain to ban the tradition.

I know that saying bullfighting is horrible and barbaric isn't exactly a groundbreaking statement, but I'm seriously happy for the bulls in this one. Also, it's kind of funny that there were NO deaths as a result of a bullfight. I think that's my favourite part of this story because it's like schadenfreude on the audience, too.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elendil004 posted:

Ok now avatar sized?

I think this should work:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

"A man paid hundreds of dollars to go on an "e-date" with a World of Warcraft streamer and then complained about the friend zone and cried at the end of the date."

Already skipped to the most relevant part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r71l-ajiuHA&t=1783s

Although the part where they "dance" at 28:00 is also "great".

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Palpek posted:

"A man paid hundreds of dollars to go on an "e-date" with a World of Warcraft streamer and then complained about the friend zone and cried at the end of the date."

You sure he paid money to go on the date? If so, that'd make it even better.

Anyways, I was curious about the paying thing, and so I started googling. Didn't find anything about paying, but I did find this video where the girl watches the guy's stream while he "reviews" the date with another girl who was apparently advising him on what to do during the date.

http://www.twitch.tv/alinity/b/395390743

-edit- oh, she only watches it for a few minutes

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Phanatic posted:

The Harrier's got an emergency system of pressurized nitrogen to blow the gear down in the event of an emergency where they won't extend on their own, and that's actually the written procedure (NATOPS) for what to do in that situation, but the pilot was ordered not to do it and instead to land his plane on a bunch of metal springs; the MAG CO had apparently seen this procedure used with a CH-53, but that's an enormously and obviously different aircraft. The fact that the downdraft of a vertically-descending Harrier would, you know, blow the mattresses around right by its enormous engine intakes, was entirely foreseeable by anyone with a clue. And the only reason that stack of mattresses didn't catch on fire could be termed "luck." The guy who decided NATOPS was wrong shouldn't be an O-6 anymore, and I don't think he is; this was hashed over in one of the SA aviation threads.

But he did he not belly land it :confused:

Agreed that the mattresses were a dumb idea.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

Palpek posted:

The whole thing is relevant. About 10 minutes into that he whips out the lasagna that he actually made for their "date", a few minutes after that he shows her the flowers that he "forgot" to give her and then the speech at about 14:30.

This is absolutely awful.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Palpek posted:

I... I can't watch this, it's too awful.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
The "Operation American Spring" Facebook page was hijacked, apparently.
https://www.facebook.com/OperationAmericanSpringbackup

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't see it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novak
Aug 8, 2006

Turnin' on the screw

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't see it?

The Finnish national team drunkenly stumbles onto a IIHF championship finals spot after a disaster of a tournament, beating the Czech Republic. Jaromir Jagr isn't too happy about the loss.

• Locked thread