Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

ovaries posted:

Is anyone running this on a low-end CPU? I've got a lovely FX-4100 (overclocked to 4.4 ghz) and it's the only thing I fear would hold me back in playing this game. Will I likely be all right on low/medium settings or should I cancel my preorder?

I'd quite like to know this as well but I have an i5 3570k and a gtx660ti. I also have a ps4 and am totally torn about what to play it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tuberjedi
Jul 3, 2007

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...

The most uber of the Jedi

DiabloStarCraft posted:

I'd quite like to know this as well but I have an i5 3570k and a gtx660ti. I also have a ps4 and am totally torn about what to play it on.

I have an i5 2500k and a 560ti. It runs at a smooth 50-60 fps at medium settings. I get occasional slow downs during cut scenes though.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
What about tearing? That was a big problem with AC 4 for me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Biggest human being Ever posted:

What about tearing? That was a big problem with AC 4 for me.
There's a fuckload of screen tearing for me, which is a huge bummer. I tried turning vsync on to combat that but for some reason vsync lowers the framerate to the point where the game isn't even playable for me? :ughh:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
That's a bummer, looks like I'll play this locked to 30fps, as I really can't stand tearing.

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

w00tuberjedi posted:

I have an i5 2500k and a 560ti. It runs at a smooth 50-60 fps at medium settings. I get occasional slow downs during cut scenes though.

I got that in AC4 as well, I suspect they're doing some loading during the cutscenes, as that's what was happening in AC. Do you have an SSD?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

I wonder how much side content (And what kind of things it unlocks) there will be? AssCreed 3 style where it's Side-Missions: The Game?

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

IchGestalt posted:

I wonder how much side content (And what kind of things it unlocks) there will be? AssCreed 3 style where it's Side-Missions: The Game?

I hear the digital trips are pretty expansive but don't unlock anything outside of the trips themselves. They're fun though, which is the point of playing a game.

w00tuberjedi
Jul 3, 2007

IchGestalt posted:

There is a lot of side quests and most of them seem to confer some sort of unlock, be it a weapon, skill or vehicle. I really do like the side-quest/unlock/skill system.

DiabloStarCraft posted:

I got that in AC4 as well, I suspect they're doing some loading during the cutscenes, as that's what was happening in AC. Do you have an SSD?

Ahh that makes sense. I experienced that as well in AC4. I do have an SSD, but only have my OS installed on it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I may be a bit late here but it appears someone go their hands on the game and is giving answers to questions. Seeing as how journalists will completely forget to compare expectations vs delivery I'm going to ask you about all the expectations I had when this game premiered at E3 with a live game demonstration. The following is a list of things which were in the demo that piqued my, and probably everyone else's, interest in the game. I fully expected all of these things to be in the final game.

• Trash and debris get blown by wind and strewn about the streets. Trees and umbrellas sway in the wind.
  • Conversations and interactions between NPCs happen all around you as you walk down a sidewalk.
  • A weather report on the news accurately predicts the night's weather.
  • Phone jamming as a hack causes disruptions.
  • dot connexion digital gallery has about 100 NPCs inside it.
  • There is realtime profiling as you walk around.
  • There exists a "violence probability" variable number as people spot you and react.
  • There are gorgeous weather effects.
  • Causing a traffic accident at an intersection equates to a 10 car pile-up.
  • An NPC walking on the sidewalk asks an accident victim if they are OK and helps them out of car.
  • Slow-motion causes rain droplets and bullet casings to float in the air.
  • If an NPC driver gets shot, an NPC passenger will freak out talking to the dead driver. Aiden can rescue the living NPC from the gunfight.
  • There is an ability to leap over cover while shooting an enemy, followed by picking up the enemy's weapon. It's done as one smooth, cinematic action.
  • A gas station that's been burning for about 60 seconds will finally explode.
  • A large explosion causes short-term ear ringing.
  • Light from helicopters causes Aiden to shield his eyes.

There are a lot of little technical things that happened in that demo that I haven't seen hide nor hair of since that demo. Would the current game owners care to tell me how much of this has been removed or toned down for the final game?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

w00tuberjedi posted:

There is a lot of side quests and most of them seem to confer some sort of unlock, be it a weapon, skill or vehicle. I really do like the side-quest/unlock/skill system.

Good to know. Does the character get a hub(Base, hideout, hat shop) in this game, out of interest?

w00tuberjedi
Jul 3, 2007

IchGestalt posted:

Good to know. Does the character get a hub(Base, hideout, hat shop) in this game, out of interest?

Yup, multiple actually.

DaveKap posted:

I may be a bit late here but it appears someone go their hands on the game and is giving answers to questions. Seeing as how journalists will completely forget to compare expectations vs delivery I'm going to ask you about all the expectations I had when this game premiered at E3 with a live game demonstration. The following is a list of things which were in the demo that piqued my, and probably everyone else's, interest in the game. I fully expected all of these things to be in the final game.

• Trash and debris get blown by wind and strewn about the streets. Trees and umbrellas sway in the wind.
  • Conversations and interactions between NPCs happen all around you as you walk down a sidewalk.
  • A weather report on the news accurately predicts the night's weather.
  • Phone jamming as a hack causes disruptions.
  • dot connexion digital gallery has about 100 NPCs inside it.
  • There is realtime profiling as you walk around.
  • There exists a "violence probability" variable number as people spot you and react.
  • There are gorgeous weather effects.
  • Causing a traffic accident at an intersection equates to a 10 car pile-up.
  • An NPC walking on the sidewalk asks an accident victim if they are OK and helps them out of car.
  • If an NPC driver gets shot, an NPC passenger will freak out talking to the dead driver. Aiden can rescue the living NPC from the gunfight.
  • There is an ability to leap over cover while shooting an enemy, followed by picking up the enemy's weapon. It's done as one smooth, cinematic action.
  • A gas station that's been burning for about 60 seconds will finally explode.
  • A large explosion causes short-term ear ringing.
  • Light from helicopters causes Aiden to shield his eyes.

There are a lot of little technical things that happened in that demo that I haven't seen hide nor hair of since that demo. Would the current game owners care to tell me how much of this has been removed or toned down for the final game?

No trash or debris, but that could be because of my medium graphics settings...same with the tree and umbrellas swaying.

Conversations do happen, interactions seem more limited.

Have not experienced weather reports predicting weather.

Definitely is real time profiling. Doesn't serve much purpose other than finding money, quests, and fluff.

Haven't experienced violence probability, but I'm kind of confused as to what you're asking here.

Weather does look pretty drat good, even at medium. It also seems to effect driving as well.

I have hacked so many traffic lights it's not even funny. I have yet to see more than 4-5 cars involved in accidents and I have yet to see any NPC bystanders interact with those accidents other than a gasp or something inconsequential.

Slo-mo hasn't caused those effects for me, but I would guess because of graphics settings.

NPC driver/passenger situation hasn't occurred for me.

Haven't performed the leap over cover.

Gas stations will explode after being on fire for a bit.

Haven't noticed the last two either.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I like the Dark Souls-esque multiplayer thing but hacking another player seems to be a very unlikely prospect!

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

w00tuberjedi posted:

I have hacked so many traffic lights it's not even funny. I have yet to see more than 4-5 cars involved in accidents and I have yet to see any NPC bystanders interact with those accidents other than a gasp or something inconsequential.

Realistic NPC AI that has the Bystander Effect built in.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

w00tuberjedi posted:

Haven't experienced violence probability, but I'm kind of confused as to what you're asking here.
Watch the E3 demo from 2012 to see what I mean, it occurs towards the end of him being inside the club. Not a big deal that it's out as it seemed like more of a "timer" for how long it would take for an NPC to shoot at you. Can you bump up your quality just to see if those other things are in or not? Windblown debris and rain droplets, despite being rather minor, were really important "next gen" upgrades.

Also let me clarify about the gas stations. If they catch on fire, would it take a while for them to eventually blow up into a rather giant column of fire and smoke as seen in the demo video.

Too bad about the traffic and NPC AI being dumbed down. Those were some breathtaking scenarios they played out in the demo and knowing they're gone just makes me give much less of a poo poo about this game. To add to that, this makes me fear The Division just won't look, or be, as good as it did at E3 2013.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Re: Driving problems. Are you guys using keyboard on PC or a gamepad?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ShineDog posted:

I've tried both. One isn't better than the other. They both suck.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.
The opinions about the driving model sound so conflicting to me. One person claims they went a bit too sim, someone thinks nothing has any weight nor grip. I can't fathom what it would be like if the driving feels like both of these. If it's a bit realistic and even done reasonably well, I'll be quite happy.

FWIW, I had nothing against GTA IV's driving. It's been years since I played it, but I remember the driving mostly just a bit slide-happy, which could be tamed. I have also encountered a plenty of arcade racers with way worse handling than any GTA. Also, I didn't find anything wrong in the way cars handled in Mafia 1 either. The driving mission was needlessly difficult though.

The worst driving model I personally remember was in Saints Row 2. That poo poo was just clunky beyond any belief.

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

Follow That Fish! posted:

The worst driving model I personally remember was in Saints Row 2. That poo poo was just clunky beyond any belief.

Did you play on PC? SR2 links a whole bunch of things to the speed of the processor, and assumes your processor is going to be running at 2.4ghz (The speed of the Xbox 360's processor). The further away from that you are in either direction the more wonky things will seem, especially the handling. I am sure there will never be a port as bad as SR2 on PC.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

ShineDog posted:

360 controller. The bumper and in-cab views are somewhat better than the two third-person camera angles. Motorcycles are also slightly better than cars. The city is pretty fun to just walk around in anyway; I've only really used cars if the missions require it.

The initial response to a turning input is just too long. Nothing happens for a split second and then it lurches over so hard that you're counter-steering just to get back on course. It's like driving a real car with no power steering and the tires half deflated (or riding the horse from rear end Creed.) First-person view is much more manageable, but you lose some contextual stuff with the narrower FOV.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Follow That Fish! posted:

If it's a bit realistic and even done reasonably well, I'll be quite happy.
From whichever angle you cut the opinions, this doesn't seem to be the case and also you should read futher posts from the person who "claims they went a bit too sim" where it's calrified. It seems you just hear what you want to hear so you'll have to see for yourself anyway.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010
If i liked GTA4'S driving but hated saint's row 2's, will i like the driving here?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The driving is really great and feels a lot like driver: san fran to me but maybe that's because I'm not a terrible person so I use the dash cam?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

hopterque posted:

The driving is really great and feels a lot like driver: san fran to me but maybe that's because I'm not a terrible person so I use the dash cam?

Driver was god awful if you were in chase, and amazing in car, but tbh the balance of opinnion is definately leaning towards lovely here.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

ShineDog posted:

Driver was god awful if you were in chase, and amazing in car, but tbh the balance of opinnion is definately leaning towards lovely here.

Some people are just bad at videogames I guess.

e: Anyway I'm pretty confused by people's reactions for the most part, isn't the bit everyone is waiting for the rad multiplayer stuff that isn't gonna be playable in most cases until tuesday? Like the open world stuff is fun and cool and the game seems fun but the part that really has me interested is the multiplayer, both the invading hackers and the actual free roam.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 11:39 on May 24, 2014

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

Palpek posted:

From whichever angle you cut the opinions, this doesn't seem to be the case and also you should read futher posts from the person who "claims they went a bit too sim" where it's calrified. It seems you just hear what you want to hear so you'll have to see for yourself anyway.

Nah, I wasn't really wanting to hear anything, just was wondering how people had such different opinions. My expectations for this game have been dampened pretty well already. :)

There's still enough that interests me that I'll get it.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
When I first saw a commercial for this with the guy walking around droning on about how he controls the city, I told my brother they're making a sequel to The Dungeonmaster* movie, which also starts with a nerd jogging through town and using his advanced computer (X-CaliBR8) to manipulate traffic lights and steal money from the ATM.

That's also the movie where the Mythbusters guy got "I reject your reality and substitute my own!" from.

*Does not contain dungeons or mastery there-of.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I watched a video where the dude said Aim Assist affects the driving. That sounds ridiculous but if it's indeed the case the difference in opinions might be at least in part be down to that?

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 24, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

DiabloStarCraft posted:

Did you play on PC? SR2 links a whole bunch of things to the speed of the processor, and assumes your processor is going to be running at 2.4ghz (The speed of the Xbox 360's processor). The further away from that you are in either direction the more wonky things will seem, especially the handling. I am sure there will never be a port as bad as SR2 on PC.

It actually links it to a program that only is present on Vista/7. If you are running XP/8 SR2 works fine, no need for the limiter.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
For those who are playing, are the online servers working yet? If so, how does the online stuff work?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

DaveKap posted:

• There is realtime profiling as you walk around. (There is a skill you can unlock that will automatically profile high-value NPC's)

Can confirm all of these. I hadn't really been looking for the rest, but I will now that I know what to look for.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Exactly what is so terrible about the driving? What would you compare it to?

The only open-world driving I would call crap was GTAIV's (not counting joke entries like Deadly Premonition), so I don't have much basis of comparison.

A little late but I loved GTA IVs driving.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I don't really care about nextgenness, or story ( outside of making sure I don't know what happens ). As long as it wraps up properly and has some good moments, I'll probably enjoy it.

What I want to know is.

- Does the shooting/gameplay sequences feel fun. What does the hacking offer when it comes to combat.
- How is the mission variety when it comes to main story stuff. Are you finding yourself doing a wide variety of stuff, or is it mainly tailing/shooting.
- How varied is the side content. Are we talking SR style activities, Sleepy Dogs gang wars, or AssCreeds forts/towers/assassinations/leonardo missions? Or is it more GTAs "random ped quests".
- How big is the city, do the districts feel distinct?

The hacking could literally just be Sleepy Dogs p2, where you have to hack a camera before you can beat the people up, and it just shows them from above and I'd still not care. I'm looking for a good open world game, not a hyped up "next gen!" experience.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
One small neat detail I've noticed while watching streams is that if you scan the people you see working, they usually have that activity as their occupation. Like, you scan someone painting a wall or washing a window, and they have "Occupation: Painter" and "Occupation: Window Cleaner".

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ah gently caress it, cancelled my £29 pre-order and I'll just wait for a cheap key or something.

Like, infamous SS was fun but there really wasn't any point in paying full price day 1. I just hope there's still some multiplayer activity in a few months.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ijyt posted:

Ah gently caress it, cancelled my £29 pre-order and I'll just wait for a cheap key or something.

Like, infamous SS was fun but there really wasn't any point in paying full price day 1. I just hope there's still some multiplayer activity in a few months.

I've decided that's what I'm going to do this console generation for anything except a GTA. I've just picked up AssCreed 4 cheap and intend to do the same thing with this game in a couple of months.

I finally figured out games don't get any less fun when you don't buy them at launch.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

w00tuberjedi posted:

I have an i5 3750k @ 4.2 and a 750ti. This sounds expected, but I'm not 100% pleased.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ijyt posted:

Yeah same. I felt kind of burned by buying infamous. But I wasn't too excited about watch dogs to start but now I'll definitely wait to purchase it when it gets cheaper.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah same. I felt kind of burned by buying infamous. But I wasn't too excited about watch dogs to start but now I'll definitely wait to purchase it when it gets cheaper.

It's a shame, because I've been looking forward to the game since it was announced. I hope The Division doesn't end up in a similar situation. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

ijyt posted:

A little late but I loved GTA IVs driving.

Same. The cars felt like they had actual weight and physics to them, grounding them in the same world as the on foot game. People who complained it was too drifty either never slowed down for corners or never mastered the handbrake, which was a joy.

I'm still looking forward to watch dogs a lot. Just hoping I can play it on fairly high graphics with an i3570k, 770 at 1440p.

• Locked thread