Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I think we all know what the solution here is.

Play a mythic synthesist summoner with the Archmage path instead and be Captain Marvel, complete with your own Rock of Eternity once you hit mythic tier 6 and pick up the Sanctum ability.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Don't forget to get dual path so you can also have speed of Mercury.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I would join if the ACG was acceptable if only to see how off the loving wall a mythic arcanist gets

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Arivia posted:

Since they don't come up that often, I'm posting it here: I'm running the Wrath of the Righteous AP on Tuesday nights EST over roll20. Recruitment's up, if anyone's interested in getting in on the vanishingly small amount of real-time Pathfinder recruits on SA (I don't even know if there has been another one since my last recruitment a year ago.)

I won't be able to play, but I'm curious: Are you married to roll20 as your VTT?

I'm working on a project that related to MapTool and the PFRPG, and I'm interested in talking to people who run games like these online.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Inverse Icarus posted:

I won't be able to play, but I'm curious: Are you married to roll20 as your VTT?

I'm working on a project that related to MapTool and the PFRPG, and I'm interested in talking to people who run games like these online.

I guess not? I used to use maptool but I found it really finicky and a pain to coordinate with, logging onto the roll20 website is a lot easier. Roll20 has some issues - bugs with refreshes, some server downtime problems, and sliding and transforming drawings is a massive pain - but any replacement would have to have a really good reason for me to try it instead.

Almostpanda
Apr 25, 2014
I have two questions;
firstly, what's the general consensus on the wounds and vigor system, I'm not that familiar with it myself and a friend of mine is starting a game using a houseruled version of it.
and second, what about the armor as damage reduction rules?
houserules are: strenuous actions cost vigor points, if no vigor points are left, they cost wounds. and damage prevented by the damage reduction is done to the armor itself.
I don't know much about either of these alternate rules, any helpful tips would be appreciated, TIA.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Almostpanda posted:

I have two questions;
firstly, what's the general consensus on the wounds and vigor system, I'm not that familiar with it myself and a friend of mine is starting a game using a houseruled version of it.
and second, what about the armor as damage reduction rules?
houserules are: strenuous actions cost vigor points, if no vigor points are left, they cost wounds. and damage prevented by the damage reduction is done to the armor itself.
I don't know much about either of these alternate rules, any helpful tips would be appreciated, TIA.

Those rules mean: suck it, noncasters.

Almostpanda
Apr 25, 2014

Piell posted:

Those rules mean: suck it, noncasters.

oh, I forgot to mention, casting a spell drains a number of vigor points equal to the level of the spell. (it's also illegal and punishable by death)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Wound and Vigor points aren't bad (though having to spend vigor to do cool stuff is dumb as gently caress), but armor as damage reduction is really loving dumb. It fucks over TWF even more than normal, and the DR is basically worthless at anything above level 6 or so for even the heaviest armors. I mean, think about power attack in this system. Your armor bonus converts straight over to DR, but Power attack gives a much better attack bonus to damage ratio.

Piell fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 24, 2014

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
That and PF's Armor DR system is DR/adamantine for magic armor, so after the early levels you give everyone an adamantine weapon and it's like you're hitting close to touch AC forever. If you don't have a way to bypass DR then it just becomes a slog, especially if you favor spamming weak attacks as opposed to slamming dudes with one big attack.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I'm building an Arcane Savant as a new character for a high-level, anything-goes campaign. I'm not sure what to grab with all 6 of my Esoteric Magic slots, though. Current levels are wizard (Void) 6 / Arcane Savant 7. I'm considering switching to Conjuration (teleportation), though.

Here's what I've got so far:
- Death Ward, Level 5 spell
- Freedom of Movement, level 5
- Summon Monster VIII, level 6
- Greater Planar Binding, level 6
- Silence, level 3
- [last slot]

I've got overpowered summoned and bound monsters, plus the ability to toggle on immunity to various hindrances. Not so sure about Silence, since my UMD and Scroll Mastery abilities would let me be just as effective casting from scrolls. Any tips?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Arivia posted:

Since they don't come up that often, I'm posting it here: I'm running the Wrath of the Righteous AP on Tuesday nights EST over roll20. Recruitment's up, if anyone's interested in getting in on the vanishingly small amount of real-time Pathfinder recruits on SA (I don't even know if there has been another one since my last recruitment a year ago.)

I'd totally be interested, since Pathfinder's been catching my eye lately (I'm pretty much completely new to tabletop games, save for one 4e session over Skype and a PBP SW:EotE game). Unfortunately, I'm UTC+1, so that makes scheduling a bitch unless it's a weekend game or is hosted by someone here in Europe.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Piell posted:

Wound and Vigor points aren't bad (though having to spend vigor to do cool stuff is dumb as gently caress), but armor as damage reduction is really loving dumb. It fucks over TWF even more than normal, and the DR is basically worthless at anything above level 6 or so for even the heaviest armors. I mean, think about power attack in this system. Your armor bonus converts straight over to DR, but Power attack gives a much better attack bonus to damage ratio.

Armor as DR as presented is a stupid and under thought system. However it is possible to make armor as DR work. You basically need to either give scaling AC bonuses by level to keep scale with increasing attack bonuses, or make to hit bonus particularly of monsters scale off dex instead of strength.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
So I bought Fantasy Grounds 2 this weekend, and two Pathfinder starter modules this weekend, have to say I'm very impressed with the software and its presentation, it seems that Roll20 is pretty widely use, are there any PF groups here running on FG2?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Goons I am sort of in a bad predicament, and I need your help.

I have told a white lie about my experience with pathfinder, and ended up in someones 12th level one-shot starting this saturday. As a Gunslinger non the less. My experience with Pathfinder is VERY SMALL but it is the only tabletop rpg I have experience with. I have to create a 12th level pc with 108,000 gp of equipment. There will be one new player aboard, as it is a " teaching" one shot but also a hard one shot. Can anyone tell me what Feats, and skills to take? And maybe some tips that won't make me look like a newb. I have the core rulebook shipping to me on Wednesday.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

lemonslol posted:

I have told a white lie about my experience with pathfinder, and ended up in someones 12th level one-shot starting this saturday. As a Gunslinger non the less. My experience with Pathfinder is VERY SMALL but it is the only tabletop rpg I have experience with. I have to create a 12th level pc with 108,000 gp of equipment. There will be one new player aboard, as it is a " teaching" one shot but also a hard one shot. Can anyone tell me what Feats, and skills to take? And maybe some tips that won't make me look like a newb. I have the core rulebook shipping to me on Wednesday.

Teaching one shot. With a level 12 character. What.

Your playing a gunslinger, so shoot everything constantly, give zero fucks about AC.

Have a look at this guide. Take what it tells you to take.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?213035-PF-The-Gunslinger-s-Handbook

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
At level 12? Someone can probably point you towards the insane single-target damage build, but that's not the kind of thing you really want to be using in a game where people aren't expecting it. If it really is a teaching game, going full min-max completely ruins things for the new person.

I hope they're not going to make them a caster.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

lemonslol posted:

You've suddenly come down with a 3-day flu and won't be able to make it.

That's pretty much the only way this can end well.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Also, add a magic bandolier of abundant ammunition (there's no preexisting item for it but it's only 4,000 gp by the pricing guidelines) and fill it with a dozen alchemical cartridges, so you never need to actually bother with tracking or crafting ammo.

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

You've suddenly come down with a 3-day flu and won't be able to make it.

That's pretty much the only way this can end well.

This is the best answer, though.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Fake him out and play a wizard with the Spellslinger archetype. Congrats you're useful with minimal minmaxy bullshit.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Why do you have to play a gunslinger in the first place?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

How the hell are you meant to actually have a game at high levels? We just finished a campaign at level 11 / mythic tier 1, and the GM was having trouble designing encounters we wouldn't just curb-stomp without pulling out CR20+ outsiders. Admittedly it was a party of 6, but none of us were optimized, our only "arcane caster" was an alchemist, and we had a monk. How are you meant to keep a game going once you reach the two-digit levels?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Most monsters need to be in groups. The one of the biggest issues(among many) is that action economy becomes more important than CR by a wide margin. He needs to make sure you're always outnumbered by equivalent CR enemies.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

How the hell are you meant to actually have a game at high levels? We just finished a campaign at level 11 / mythic tier 1, and the GM was having trouble designing encounters we wouldn't just curb-stomp without pulling out CR20+ outsiders. Admittedly it was a party of 6, but none of us were optimized, our only "arcane caster" was an alchemist, and we had a monk. How are you meant to keep a game going once you reach the two-digit levels?

You aren't. The game is just outright going to get in the way at those levels.

DarckRedd
Oct 11, 2009
d20 disintegrates at high levels in just about all incarnations. At that point, you pretty much have to house rule it into something like functionality or accept that the game's going to get more gummy and unbalanced as time goes on.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

PresidentBeard posted:

Most monsters need to be in groups. The one of the biggest issues(among many) is that action economy becomes more important than CR by a wide margin. He needs to make sure you're always outnumbered by equivalent CR enemies.

Usually there were as many significant enemies as party members, plus a handful of weaker enemies that basically didn't matter because they couldn't hit anything. Our last "balanced" encounter was the six of us (level 11 + MT 1) against 6 CR20 devils and 6 weaker devils that the barbarian barely noticed as he swatted them with AoO's.

I knew the game would break down eventually but I figured that without optimizing, without wizards, it wouldn't happen so quickly.

e: Mythic was mainly used for getting full-attacks and for out-of-combat stuff like not needing to hire an NPC to cast Remove Curse for us/

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 27, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Most of the other forum members covered the basics, but it really comes down to action economy and fight gimmicks in most cases to keep things functional.

CR as a system is largely useless in my experience since so much of D&D or pathfinder has more to do with the where and how than the actual stat bashing. The best example I have of this is the level 19 Artemis Entreri from forgotten realms loses in a straight up open plains battle with a T-Rex, a CR 8 creature because the specific combination of abilities it has completely outweighs all of his advantages.

The same works in reverse, a group of decently statted mid level pc's can mop the floor with creatures far higher than their CR should indicate, particularly if the encounter doesn't play to the strengths of the creature they are fighting. CR20 outsiders are probably one of the worst offenders of this because a lot of their stuff relies on sudden death abilities like vorpal whips and implosions that a lot of DM's will be very tentative about using on PC's.

Best suggestion is to hit the PC's with a good number of close to CR monsters or just above CR along with environmental effects that favor the enemy. That or grind them down by forcing them to fight multiple trash battles before throwing them at something legitimately threatening.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Are centaurs considered mounted while attacking? For instance would a centaur need to take mounted archery as a feat to not incure the mounted penalty while using a bow?

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Are centaurs considered mounted while attacking? For instance would a centaur need to take mounted archery as a feat to not incure the mounted penalty while using a bow?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/natural-jouster-combat

This feat would imply that they do not, as they cannot take double damage when charging with a Lance without the feat.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

grah posted:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/natural-jouster-combat

This feat would imply that they do not, as they cannot take double damage when charging with a Lance without the feat.

Did you just happen to know about this obscure feat I've never heard of, did you run that AP, or do you have really good search fu?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
For those of you who care about Paizo's ~*fanfictions*~, they've started releasing character information on their new iconics starting with the swashbuckler. At least it's a step up from the time where it took the better part of 3 years to get some of the previous character bios out.

Also, from the comments.

James Jacobs posted:

Dragon78 posted:

Didn't we already have a female half-elf iconic? I wish she was a catfolk and I wish some of the human iconics were other non-core races.

Well interesting back story and good artwork.
Non-core races, not being core, aren't appropriate to be iconic characters.

:smith:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

LightWarden posted:

Also, from the comments.

Non-core races, not being core, aren't appropriate to be iconic characters.

So non-core races can't get iconics, but non-core classes can? I think we need a :paizo: smiley.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Why is Paizo's art always so busy? It's really ugly to look at, for me.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Because Wayne Reynolds is Paizo's biggest art star and gets to do the cover art for every major release and many of the moderate ones as well. He rose to prominence back in WotC's day, and did a bunch of work for the Dungeon and Dragon magazines under Paizo's staff and got a reputation for a sort of "dungeon punk" aesthetic where dudes had about as much poo poo on them as the average adventurer had.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I feel like the dude set the art direction for 4E, PF, and Eberron; he's alright, but having his specific oeuvre in your face all the loving time is getting really tiresome.

Makes you yearn for those halcyon days of Todd Lockwood.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

His art bugs me because he draws really nice looking fancy statues. About half of his characters don't look like they could walk in a straight line with the stuff they are wearing, a quarter look like they might be able to walk but probably sound like a one-man band every time they move slightly, the rest are ok if a bit hyper-fancy for someone meant to be poking around in dusty tombs.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
The biggest thing that bugs me about Paizo art is the coloring/shading. It's just so flat.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

About half of his characters don't look like they could walk in a straight line with the stuff they are wearing, a quarter look like they might be able to walk but probably sound like a one-man band every time they move slightly, the rest are ok if a bit hyper-fancy for someone meant to be poking around in dusty tombs.

That pretty much just reflects D&D character equipment lists, though.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

New houserule: If everything isn't packed into bags of holding there is a 25% chance that when moving through the square of an ally you both gain the entangled condition anchored to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Roadie posted:

That pretty much just reflects D&D character equipment lists, though.

What?

Who the gently caress are you playing with who has a character like that? Nobody does that. It's a move action to draw any of those things. It costs a literal tonne of gold bouillon to enchant one of them to level-appropriate standards. And most importantly of all, writing all that crap down on a sheet is super loving boring and makes your hand hurt.