Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lostconfused posted:

You have something against planes?

Potsticker posted:

Planes, Trains & Automobiles.

Planes means there would be a villainous Precure character who was a Stealth Bomber and the world's not ready for something that cool yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Planes means there would be a villainous Precure character who was a Stealth Bomber and the world's not ready for something that cool yet.

We already had Cure Beat, the character who was a guitar!

Actually, the closest thing to Magical Girl Planes I can think of includes Strike Witches and Vividred so-- you're right, the world isn't ready yet.

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I've got a soft spot for karate bugmen, and the only one I couldn't actually get any enjoyment out of was Faiz (10 eps in, I just dropped it.)

Luck you! Faiz was the second series I watched after Kabuto brought me back into Kamen Rider, despite me not liking how both of those ended. I stuck with Faiz because of a bizzare fascination with how "off" it seemed and then the "ending" happened and took that mild sense of amusement away leaving only resentment.

Now I've made the mistake of re-remembering I pretty much don't like any of the resolutions to Heisei KR plots. Even Fourze which was my favorite was a let down. Climax helped a little.

In Sentai even if the endings are usually sugar-coated & wrapped in pretty packaging at least I usually feel satisfied.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
If we get a car themed rider, that means he can team up with Turboranger, Carranger, and Go-on the next SHT

I zpprove :colbert:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Some people say that his Rider Kick is banned in 10 US states.

Others still say that his driver is actually a bottle opener belt buckle.

All we know is, he's called Kamen Rider Drive!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Kuso Meriken posted:

Luck you! Faiz was the second series I watched after Kabuto brought me back into Kamen Rider, despite me not liking how both of those ended. I stuck with Faiz because of a bizzare fascination with how "off" it seemed and then the "ending" happened and took that mild sense of amusement away leaving only resentment.

Faiz was my first Rider series and I'm surprised it didn't turn me off to the series entirely, but the suits and monsters were cool even if the plot was stupid and terrible. And that ending was just the worst. Even Hibiki had a better ending than Faiz did.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Faiz was my first Rider series and I'm surprised it didn't turn me off to the series entirely, but the suits and monsters were cool even if the plot was stupid and terrible. And that ending was just the worst. Even Hibiki had a better ending than Faiz did.

Faiz didn't end it just stopped airing

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Twistys Rapture posted:

Faiz didn't end it just stopped airing

It didn't even make a full season. So very sad. :smith:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Potsticker posted:

It didn't even make a full season. So very sad. :smith:

Seems like it was the Ginga of its time.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Faiz is my favorite suit now you guys have me fearful of when it's time to watch. :(

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

RBX posted:

Faiz is my favorite suit now you guys have me fearful of when it's time to watch. :(

Faiz is a really enjoyable with great suits, an interesting plot and really memorable characters

for about thirty episodes. The final twenty is spent completely falling apart. I love Faiz, but it has a lot of problems.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Drive can refer to a lot of things, it's not just vehicles. It could also be a hard drive.
Or it could be golf.

I'd watch the poo poo out of a golf Rider.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

TerminusEst13 posted:

Drive can refer to a lot of things, it's not just vehicles. It could also be a hard drive.
Or it could be golf.

OH poo poo. I think I would love a Golf Rider. I don't know how it would work, but it would be (hopefully) interesting.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

TerminusEst13 posted:

Or it could be golf.

Cattle drive, which would give us cowboy Riders which I need. The rival Rider would have a well-groomed handlebar moustache on his helmet and we would get giant energy spurs for the kicks.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Oh my god I never knew how much I wanted an Iron Chef parody in a Rider show until I saw it. This is the most fantastic episode.

Edit: Also I don't know where to find this, so I thought I'd ask. Is Kabuto's suit actor the same as Double's? The way he fights reminds me of Extreme, lots of deflections and simple hits. It might just be similar choreography.

Darksaber fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 23, 2014

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Darksaber posted:

Edit: Also I don't know where to find this, so I thought I'd ask. Is Kabuto's suit actor the same as Double's? The way he fights reminds me of Extreme, lots of deflections and simple hits. It might just be similar choreography.

It's the same guy but the fighting style has nothing to do with it really, it's because Seiji Takaiwa has been the main Rider suit actor for practically every Heisei series (Kuuga and Hibiki are the exceptions).

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I've been watching Bioman with portuguese subs. I had to switch to english due to a desync problem with one episode, and drat if you guys don't get much better video and audio quality. The portuguese translation is way better, though, so I'm switching back to it and just have to deal with washed-out colors and tin can soundtrack for that authentic 80's old TV-set feel.

e: Speaking of which, that one moment that someone alluded to earlier in the thread? When the villains are winning, but out of nowhere comes the pink ranger, untransformed, walking very slowly toward the battlefield, playing the theme song on her flute while the villains look at each other with a look of pure "what the gently caress" on their faces? Completely grandiose :allears:

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 23, 2014

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cyphoderus posted:

I've been watching Bioman with portuguese subs. I had to switch to english due to a desync problem with one episode, and drat if you guys don't get much better video and audio quality. The portuguese translation is way better, though, so I'm switching back to it and just have to deal with washed-out colors and tin can soundtrack for that authentic 80's old TV-set feel.

e: Speaking of which, that one moment that someone alluded to earlier in the thread? When the villains are winning, but out of nowhere comes the pink ranger, untransformed, walking very slowly toward the battlefield, playing the theme song on her flute while the villains look at each other with a look of pure "what the gently caress" on their faces? Completely grandiose :allears:

Bioman is the best sentai.

It's full of great little moments like those.

(That was me, obviously)

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Darksaber posted:

Oh my god I never knew how much I wanted an Iron Chef parody in a Rider show until I saw it. This is the most fantastic episode.

Have you not seen the Kamen Rider W Hyper Battle?

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

V-Men posted:

Have you not seen the Kamen Rider W Hyper Battle?

No I haven't, apparently I need to track that down and watch it. I'm on like episode 38 or something of Kabuto and I don't even know what the gently caress happened to this show. Like the plot got straight up nonsensical as far as I can tell.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Darksaber posted:

No I haven't, apparently I need to track that down and watch it. I'm on like episode 38 or something of Kabuto and I don't even know what the gently caress happened to this show. Like the plot got straight up nonsensical as far as I can tell.

Yep, that's Kabuto.

What're people's opinions on Kiva? It seems like it has everything I'd want. Fantasy, secret organizations fighting monsters, and parallel stories. So what's the catch?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Kiva's bizarre because on paper it's really interesting but it's also where Rider goes into a heavy swing pushing a toyline to the point where things just show up once, look cool, and then disappear forever.

The main Rider design is totally badass, the SECONDARY Rider design is probably one of my favourites out of all of Heisei Rider. But the two-party arcs in Kiva are really poorly handled and Wataru is a big weenie.

Also there's Otoya. Who is wonderful.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 24, 2014

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

V-Men posted:

Yep, that's Kabuto.

What're people's opinions on Kiva? It seems like it has everything I'd want. Fantasy, secret organizations fighting monsters, and parallel stories. So what's the catch?

If you compare it to Twilight, it's good.

Really though? It's not terrible, it of course, comes off the rails but it does have some gorgeous designs and great fights. The fangire suits are INCREDIBLY detailed and just gorgeous to look at, mostly, save for a few that are ridiculously over-designed.

There are one or two moments of "WE'RE JUST DOING THIS FOR THE TOYS" where something gets used for maybe one or two episodes and then never again.

I agree with Rei, IXA is an awesome suit, and Kiva's base form is also excellent. The fights are good, have a sense of feral brutality.

So, the catch is: It's a Rider show, it's kinda goofy with good fights and great costumes, but the characters are doofuses.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Burkion posted:

Bioman is the best sentai.

It's full of great little moments like those.

(That was me, obviously)

Was it also you who suggested Metalder, then? Because I'm on episode 18 and that poo poo's been great.

The coolest thing the series does is present the evil empire of villains not as an evil empire of villains, but as a meritocratic bureaucracy of many individuals with distinct personalities, ruled by a charismatic emperor. The moment a worthy foe comes along (Metalder), the entire thing just starts falling apart under the weight of internal rivalries, dissidents, and the emperor's creepy obsession with Metalder. The show also does a good job of showing the main character as this one dude who's very lost at the idea of fighting this evil empire, but just the fact that he's there and having his own opinion about things instead of blindly listening to a higher-up is enough to shake the empire's very foundations.

And there's a battle he wins by yanking his own right arm off and flinging it at the enemy :allears:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I am indeed the guy who promoted Metalder, because it's literally one of the best TOKU ever made, regardless of franchise or era.

Basically here's my short list of The Best Things:

UltraSeven
Kamen Rider V3
Bioman
Metalder

The few flaws I can bring up about any of them are usually things beyond their control, up to and including when they were made, and they all exceed what they are apart of. These are the shows that do the best and surpass expectations. Ignore the fact that the newest one is from the late 80s.

For what it's worth, the last 8 or so episodes of Kikaider also fall in this group. But, well, that's 8 out of...40 plus episodes. So, you know.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Can confirm, Kamen Rider V3 is amazing as hell. The only real flaw that stood out to me a lot is its tendency to introduce recurring characters who then disappear from the rest of the series without a trace (including Riders 1 and 2, which is the most jarring one).

Hiroshi Miyauchi is great at playing smug dick protagonists though, and the series just constantly oozes charm; it's really amazing how hard they knocked it out of the park with only their second series.

Gotenks0053
Sep 2, 2011
Apparently this is some Drive leaks?

Facebook posted:

1. KR Drive Chassis Mode (1st Mode) colored is White, has no weapon, not too speed, but has a good stamina so he can running in a long time, and then he can climbing like a parkour.
2. The main character of KR Drive name is Takuya Anji.
3. DRIVER ON is a tool that serves as a steering wheel (Close Mode), and when opened (Open Mode) then it can make the car into a Push Off mode (kind of Cast Off), PUSH OFF is useful to transform the car into bike mode. Possible DRIVER ON can also be attached to a belt KR drivers turn into the next form.
4. There is a tool called LIMITER, useful to calculate how fast the speed of monsters, monsters possibility to directly move quickly (NOS Mode) without Melt Down like a worm in KR Kabuto series.
*LIMITER tool is mounted on the left hand (like using Watches).
5. Opening KR Drive OST titled "With a Stars", sung directly by the main character himself KR Drive (Takuya Anji).

I was joking to my friends that the belt would be a steering wheel, but if this is legit, then it doesn't look half bad. What do you guys think? Fake? Real? It's probably fake, but hey, something I just found a minute ago.

Gotenks0053 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 25, 2014

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really, really want this to be true-but it's too good to be true. And WAY too soon.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Burkion posted:

I really, really want this to be true-but it's too good to be true. And WAY too soon.

Agreed. That looks amazing, but it's too early for any real info.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Wizard and Gaim both didn't start shooting until June, and that page spread is advertising a DVD set already

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A translator friend of mine said the text is from an Akumaizer 3 release so fake.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

ImpAtom posted:

A translator friend of mine said the text is from an Akumaizer 3 release so fake.

I think the real reason it's fake is that it's cleanly designed and organized, and doesn't have bright multicolored text of varying sizes scattered all over the place.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

The idea reminds be of that Winspector robot who had a wheel on its chest and two sword handles protruding from either shoulder. He'd lie face-down on the floor and steer itself with the handles like an anthropomorphic bike. It was amazing.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That episode of ToQger was... huh. I really don't know what to think, other than that Ticket continues to be amazing.

What are you people doing?!

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
The last two episodes of ToQ were written by one Akatsuki Yamatoya, who wrote the Shinken Brown episode, among others. All his episodes on Shinkenger seem to be goofy comedy asides, and these two certainly didn't break from that (whether you actually find them funny is a separate issue).

Next week's script is penned by Sho Aikawa. Buckle your seatbelts.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDNshF06Hk4

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I'm giving Faiz another try. Wish me luck.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Well, I did it. I finished Kabuto. Holy poo poo that should have stopped around episode 30 or so. The movie was kinda neat, but man that was almost like two different series.

So now I'm going to watch OOOs, because for some reason I never have.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Darksaber posted:

Well, I did it. I finished Kabuto. Holy poo poo that should have stopped around episode 30 or so. The movie was kinda neat, but man that was almost like two different series.

So now I'm going to watch OOOs, because for some reason I never have.

OOO and Kabuto have almost the exact opposite problem. Kabuto's middle is a great stopping point but OOO's middle is enormously boring. Thankfully Date is such a fun character you may not even notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That episode of ToQger was... huh. I really don't know what to think, other than that Ticket continues to be amazing.

What are you people doing?!

That giant wine glass at the end filled with tea.

• Locked thread