Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
That is stunning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Incredible work, bringing back something from a time when things were built to last.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I just got a new (old) turntable :woop:

It's nice but it's having some speed issues. Sometimes (irregularly, like once or twice per side edit: but it seems slightly worse on 45) its speed will drop pretty significantly for a couple of seconds. Is this something that can be fixed by "cleaning the pots" or whatever? I've never had a DD table before so I have no idea what I'm doing.

edit 2: also, the pitch control knobs seem, like, incredibly touchy. I adjust them a little bit and it does a lot of pitch shifting.

edit 3: and does anyone in Australia know any actual stores that sell ground cables?

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 21, 2014

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Go out to the shed, cut off a metre of retic wire, strip both ends.

Ground wire.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

strap on revenge posted:

edit 2: also, the pitch control knobs seem, like, incredibly touchy. I adjust them a little bit and it does a lot of pitch shifting.

This is probably good news in that it means yes probably cleaning the speed and pitch adjustment pots will fix it. Also clean the speed selector switch.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

strap on revenge posted:

I just got a new (old) turntable :woop:

It's nice but it's having some speed issues. Sometimes (irregularly, like once or twice per side edit: but it seems slightly worse on 45) its speed will drop pretty significantly for a couple of seconds. Is this something that can be fixed by "cleaning the pots" or whatever? I've never had a DD table before so I have no idea what I'm doing.

edit 3: and does anyone in Australia know any actual stores that sell ground cables?

I had a problem like that on a Technics SL-1500, and it turned out to be a obviously bad capacitor. It was leaking and was pretty obvious something was amiss. You could try looking inside and picking up a soldering iron if that's your forte.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Behold!

2014-82 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Now I just need to find some knobs and finish a few details.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

That's beautiful. I kind of liked the original style fabric, but obviously you had to replace it. The wood looks amazing considering what it looked like originally.

edit: I just downloaded the high-res pic and now I can see the pattern on the screen. It looks nicer when you can see the detail.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 22, 2014

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Thanks. I liked the original fabric too. The unit looks really nice in person now though. I have a few details I want to clean up but overall I'm really happy. I even found the search term to find the same style know on ebay. They are pinwheel or propeller radio knobs. Apparently generic stuff from the 40s used all over and not worth very much.

I just spent a while playing with it. I can pick up the normal AM band. A sport radio station sounds clear as a bell. Two of the short wave bands have stuff on them too. I listened to what I think was a soccer game and then some music in a language I didn't recognize.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

help me goons :(

I just cleaned it based on this video (I didn't spray anything on the circuit board because it didn't have the same stuff though) and it seems to have worked fine for 45rpm but now it won't spin at all on 33rpm. Have I broken it :negative:

The strobe still turns on and stuff the motor just doesn't spin.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

strap on revenge posted:

help me goons :(

I just cleaned it based on this video (I didn't spray anything on the circuit board because it didn't have the same stuff though) and it seems to have worked fine for 45rpm but now it won't spin at all on 33rpm. Have I broken it :negative:

The strobe still turns on and stuff the motor just doesn't spin.

Keep trying. Sometimes it takes several applications. Do the power switch too. You probably loosened some gunk and now its breaking the circuit somewhere. Just gotta keep at it.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

BANME.sh posted:

Keep trying. Sometimes it takes several applications. Do the power switch too. You probably loosened some gunk and now its breaking the circuit somewhere. Just gotta keep at it.

Yeah I just left it for a while and it's working now. Whew

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

My 11-year-old NAD CD player finally died :( The motor driving the laser assembly has gone out, and repairing it would take more time/money/skill than I have or am willing to pay for.I was really hoping to get a few more years out of it, but I guess it's finally time to get the computer-based playback system up and running.

Ugh, and I just looked. Only about half of my CD collection has been ripped properly. This is going to suck.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 24, 2014

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

TomR posted:

Behold!

this turned out really nice :)

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

TomR posted:

Behold!

Nice! I love the hell out of this.

I've got an old 1940s radio/78 player that was my great grandmothers, and I'd really like to restore it and get it running eventually. It's in fairly nice shape it just needs some wiring work and likely fixing up the turntable in it. I know the power chord is nearly shredded, so I don't wanna risk plugging it in.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
With anything that age even if the cloth of the cord looks good the rubber inside will have perished. Always best to replaced all brittle wiring and anything covered in cloth.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Might have a line on an Technics sl-1650 turntable for $75, any opinions?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Veeb0rg posted:

Might have a line on an Technics sl-1650 turntable for $75, any opinions?

Price seems 'about right'-to-bargain territory, especially if it comes with a cartridge, dust cover is in good shape, etc.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

BigFactory posted:

Price seems 'about right'-to-bargain territory, especially if it comes with a cartridge, dust cover is in good shape, etc.

Dust cover looks in good shape, there is a head on the tone arm, no idea on cart condition though.

Would be considered an upgrade to my current Kenwood kd-42rb, right?

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 24, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Veeb0rg posted:

Dust cover looks in good shape, there is a head on the tone arm, no idea on cart condition though.

Would be considered an upgrade to my current Kenwood kd-42rb, right?

Not necessarily. The technics is probably more collectable but that Kenny seems like a halfway decent deck. Not winning any beauty contests for sure.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
My old radio has an RCA jack that I assume is for a turntable. I measured 1 or so volts AC across it though. I'm afraid to try and plug anything into it to see if I can use an external source with it. Any ideas?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

TomR posted:

My old radio has an RCA jack that I assume is for a turntable. I measured 1 or so volts AC across it though. I'm afraid to try and plug anything into it to see if I can use an external source with it. Any ideas?

Just do it. Nothing bad can happen to my gear.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

TomR posted:

Not a single indication whether it's even an input or an output? A symbol?

If it's an input, the radio needs a button for choosing between playing radio or input, right? Find something like that?

I've had portable radios with outputs to record from them to tape, though that were DIN plugs.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
If its an RCA jack then it's a very good chance it's an input for a turntable as this is actually what the connector was invented for. The voltage may be to sense when a jack is plugged in. Try plugging any old RCA cable in and see if the radio cuts out. It's probably expecting a crystal cartridge so not quite line level but close enough. I have measured a volt or so across the jack when I hacked it into my tube radio from the ground cable and just after the tuning gang. I never had an issue.

:siren:This all depends on whether it is a isolated transformer design or a transformer-less AA5 live chassis type deal. For a live chassis radio YMMV, maybe try a line level device you don't care about.:siren:

I measured about a volt across these points when I plugged cable in, the iPod didn't seem to mind. This is however a fairly late tube radio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvDsE7JNR2A

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 25, 2014

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
The band selector has one more position below standard broadcast which was labeled P/T. I only get the voltage on the RCA when its in that position. I'm looking around for an old mp3 player or something here to test it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It's for party time, obviously.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Ha ha, I just found an old AM/FM tuner and plugged it in and it works great. I guess I'll tuck it away inside the cabinet so I can listen to FM stations on it.

rratnip
Oct 5, 2004
I've never had any vinyl albums, but a few weeks ago I was having lunch with my aunt when she said her car was full of old albums that she was going to drop off at Half Priced Books. Remembering how big a Beatles fan my uncle is I quickly offered to take them off her hands. All in all I got about 70 albums including some classic Beatles and Hendrix. Unfortunately she had already given away her turntable so I had to shop for some equipment. After doing some research I found a Technics SL-23 with a cut power and audio cords. After soldering in replacements, it still wasn't getting enough juice to maintain speed. I'm thinking about trying to replace the power board components.

I also picked up a Toshibia SR-355 that only needed a new headshell and cartridge.

I found a good deal on a Marantz 2220 with a scratchy volume pot and burned out lamps. A bit of deoxit later its running great.

Well I finally got it all set up and hooked into a pair of Polk Monitor 50's from my home theater setup tonight and I'm addicted. I've got a whole list of albums I want to pick up.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Uh, unless you ended up using like 25AWG wire, you're almost certainly getting enough power.

The SL-23 is a nice table for the price (I have one), but the pots are notorious for getting gummed up and messing with the platter's speed. Hit em all with de-oxit a few times.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I took a better photo of the radio when it's on.

2014-128 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Love love LOVE magic eye tuner tubes!!!

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
That's so awesome. The megacycles and kilocycles labeling is rad.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

TomR posted:

I took a better photo of the radio when it's on.

2014-128 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

That is awesome.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I think I have a problem.

2014-129 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

This was $5 so I couldn't leave it there. It's in pretty bad shape and the radio has been messed with so I think it will need a lot of work.

I also got this for free.

2014-130 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Edit: The Sanyo "Didn't work" and it seemed like one channel was out. I put some cleaner on the volume pot and turned it for a minute and now it works fine. It just has about a half dozen burned out lights inside.

TomR fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 1, 2014

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I got my hands on this just the other day:

1972 Sony STR-6055

Cost me just $100

The thing was in absolute pristine condition, not a scratch or spec of dust, or even a fingerprint on it. Spent it's whole life in a box until the guy I picked it up from took it out of the box and took pictures of it to put on craigslist.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
It came from PHIZ. Perhaps a solution for what to do with all those thrift store turntables you've picked up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5haFnmvCIzE

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

The thing was in absolute pristine condition, not a scratch or spec of dust, or even a fingerprint on it. Spent it's whole life in a box until the guy I picked it up from took it out of the box and took pictures of it to put on craigslist.

That owns.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

1972 Sony STR-6055

Cost me just $100

That's amazing. I wonder how things like that happen.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

1972 Sony STR-6055

Cost me just $100

Does it have the wooden casing for it? Because those are always awesome. Also, while that's a beautiful receiver that probably sounds great, that switching system is awful. In order to switch inputs you have to navigate both the knob and two switches, even though the knob should have been enough. What the hell were they thinking there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Jadius posted:

that switching system is awful. In order to switch inputs you have to navigate both the knob and two switches, even though the knob should have been enough. What the hell were they thinking there?

I've seen this system on a few different receivers before. Not sure why they did it like that back then.