Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Honestly this isn't that far from your average Winnie the Pooh strip.

Funny you say that. This one is completely unedited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

RandomFerret posted:

Funny you say that. This one is completely unedited.

Pooh is stoned out of his loving gourd.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

:ohdear:

Hmph. <:mad:>

Big Ben Bolt

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh and while I am doin' some postin' I would like to say I enjoy the 1940s-1950s drama/comedy/adventure strips. Buz Sawyer is my favorite. The art's got life to it. Much encouragement to posters to continue posting.

Pogo may or may not make me laugh with the swamp talk foolishness but -every- -single- -strip- blows me away with the quality of illustration. That man was a comics god.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Pooh is stoned out of his loving gourd.

Seriously, that's one high rear end bear.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

He's on that honey pot again.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

It's impossible to overstate how lazy I am so I don't always read all the legacy strips, but I just tuned back into the Phantom and it's really, really good.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I saw the Phantom movie on TV last night. It was really bad and I kind of regret watching it.

Billy Zane makes an okay Phantom though.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I saw the Phantom movie on TV last night. It was really bad and I kind of regret watching it.

Billy Zane makes an okay Phantom though.

He was up against Bruce Campbell for the part.

Bruce would've been a loving amazing Phantom.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The Chin Who Walks

Mark Trail

Buz Sawyer

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Hey Goonsters! I've been gone for a while, stuffing envelopes and licking stamps (I didn't realize they were self-adhesive until I'd licked about eighteen hundred of 'em), all to fulfill my obligations to the people who ordered Weapon Brown through my Kickstarter, which you bastards made possible! I'M EXHAUSTED!!

As a weeny little "thank you" I thought I'd share one of my favorite features of the finished graphic novel, that being my chapter break artwork--each done to resemble the front page of a newspaper chronicling the events of the Last War. I will post all six over the next few days, and they are as stuffed with gags as Pizza Hut crusts are stuffed with cheese-flavored rubber cement!

I hope you enjoy these! Here's the first:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

The thrill that comes once in a lifetime. :allears:

SuperKlaus posted:

Pogo may or may not make me laugh with the swamp talk foolishness but -every- -single- -strip- blows me away with the quality of illustration. That man was a comics god.

Hey, thanks for reminding me! Because speaking of presidential disasters, Pogo instinctively knows that a candidate doesn't win if people think he's short. (May 25, 1956)

Droodles (February 25, 1956)

Out Our Way (January 9-10, 1925)

And because I feel like I owe you all a little something extra today, here's The Upside Downs of Little Lady Lovekins and Old Man Muffaroo, the most famous strip of Gustave Verbeek, and there's a hell of a gimmick attached to it, too. It's a twelve panel strip done in six, and when you get to the end of the strip, you would turn it upside down and finish the story (just like the caption says). He did 64 of these over the course of a year and a half. This pre-flipped one was prepared for GoComics's Origins of the Sunday Comics, and while the feature is on break, they went back and made all of bigger...y'know, in case you actually wanted to read them. (October 4, 1903; click to read)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 24, 2014

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Death Ray posted:

Hey Goonsters! I've been gone for a while, stuffing envelopes and licking stamps (I didn't realize they were self-adhesive until I'd licked about eighteen hundred of 'em), all to fulfill my obligations to the people who ordered Weapon Brown through my Kickstarter, which you bastards made possible! I'M EXHAUSTED!!
As a backer, can I just say you ran a loving fantastic kickstarter, and I'm really looking forward to my hardcover.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Props to Eipstein here, the woman does seem appropriately smashed.

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Pretend I edited something from that Clarissa comic into this.

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

:drat:

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Oh, Brother

Pretty sure it's a repeat, but Oh Brother continues to be the best comic.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Mark Trail looked way too easy-going about being told 'That giant monster that almost killed you? Yeah, I knew about it. I could have called you to warn you, but I felt up for a hike.'

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

VictorGrunn posted:

Mark Trail looked way too easy-going about being told 'That giant monster that almost killed you? Yeah, I knew about it. I could have called you to warn you, but I felt up for a hike.'

I still think "you rear end in a top hat in a hat" is one of the greatest insult lines ever spoken.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Uh, they sure do. You don't want your rotting flesh falling off your reanimated corpse prematurely.

Retail

Oh man, Cooper should totally get rid of Marla so Arthur can be manager instead. He's basically a clone of Marla anyway but less lame. Now he'd let you do whatever you want.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Idiot!!! That was actually the sound of infrastructural ruins collapsing!

Dustin

If there's one state you don't want to show pride for it's Florida.

On the Fastrack

And if a kidnapper ever does store a hostage in the trunk of your car you'll assume it's your recording and not know to open the trunk and save him.

Safe Havens

Wow Sam aren't you a little young to be telling kids to get off your lawn?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Okay if she's this casual about finding murdered family members lying around why did she hire the PI to investigate her murder?

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

Why didn't she just... turn them into not-flowers after moving them? Or just let them be disposed of in case of them spreading some sort of unforeseen long-term side effect of whatever they were used to test? This woman is wayyyyy to casual about throwing around her mad science creations like this.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mark Trail, Beefcake

Buz Sawyer, Antbait

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

The loving tarot cards :lol:

LSoS is a treasure.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

This is horrifying. why did the crazy lady turn sentient beings into plants?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Because plants have a much longer life-span that mice. I actually like that strip, I think the little scientist running in the background of the 3rd panel has a lot of charm.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Oh man, I'm hoping they're going to newspaperify the Superior Spider-Man arc. :allears:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

e: grammar

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So this jerk dragged his wife off to an uninhabited island without telling her that they'd be building their own home. You'd think he'd bring some carpenters or something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

If there's one state you don't want to show pride for it's Florida.
Now I'm sad that Ed might be a fellow UF grad. :(

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (March 5, 1927)

Peanuts gives us Lucy's secret shame. (May 27, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean gives us Les Moore and the Curse of the First Timer.

Popeye

He seems pretty mellow having one of his mortal enemies crashing in his garden shed.

Rip Haywire

:drat: That's a fickle electorate.

Pogo (May 26, 1956)

Droodles (August 1, 1955)

Out Our Way (January 12-13, 1925)

The lighter side of beating up your dad!

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Non Sequitur

Bleh.

Heavenly Nostrils

9 Chickweed Lane

My cats slobber on there new ones every time. Enough to cause them to turn green. :barf:

Zits

Your bathroom? drat son.

Kevin & Kell

Ah, it's cooked. No blood spattered walls or anything.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Zits

Your bathroom? drat son.

There's probably a master bedroom with attached bath, so they let him have the other one. House seems like it'd be big enough to have done that.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

A storied history.

But who could resist the translucent casing?

Calvin And Hobbes

Today's DOGG is spoilered, for viewers of a sensitive constitution.

Ripley's

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Non Sequitur

Zits

Your bathroom? drat son.

Light years is a measurement of distance not of time goddamit :argh:
If he he had just left the "Light" part out of that sentence it would have been right!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I have only two things to share today:
Cul-de-sac

and

Broom Hilda

is so bad that imgur won't let me upload it automatically and I honestly can't be arsed.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

A big white horse might get a second look! Let's go, gigantic wolf!

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

I may have missed it, but what story is the rat a reference to? Googling "nick the rat" doesn't turn anything up.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Mustapukuinen Mies - A Man in Black

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set

Wait, there are still video rental stores? :confused:

StarPilot87
Dec 31, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Dinette Set

There's a local chain (if 3 stores makes a chain) in my birthtown still. I remember that you could actually rent a Genesis along with your game too, they probably don't do that anymore though. Blockbuster has completely moved out though, because Netflix.

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

Here's the 2nd newspaper/chapter break from Weapon Brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Dinette Set

Okay I don't quite… get it… wait! there's something about the homeless… are our values being mocked? I… I think I detect a joke...

Death Ray fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 24, 2014

• Locked thread