Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

strap on revenge posted:

I finally moved off my piece of poo poo first turntable with vibrating tonearm :c00lbert: and got this the other day:

It was having some speed issues but it seems to be all good now after some thorough cleaning. Sounds so much better, but I'll probably upgrade the cartridge when I've got some more money in the bank too

Necessary for full BBBBWWWOOOOMMMMMMPPPP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

edit: ^^^ drat

Is there just a BWAHHH track on that record?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

strap on revenge posted:

I finally moved off my piece of poo poo first turntable with vibrating tonearm :c00lbert: and got this the other day:

It was having some speed issues but it seems to be all good now after some thorough cleaning. Sounds so much better, but I'll probably upgrade the cartridge when I've got some more money in the bank too

e: also a high priority: new furniture

Wood turntable supremacy

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Necessary for full BBBBWWWOOOOMMMMMMPPPP

I was actually ripping it because apparently a lot of copies sound like poo poo but mine actually owns. I have no idea what to do with the files now though

eggsovereasy posted:

Wood turntable supremacy

noice

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Citizen Zee posted:

...but I can't find any reasonable bookshelf speakers...

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/a-great-bookshelf-speaker/

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Would be a fine choice if he had a stereo. He needs active speakers.

dalaamprince
Jul 16, 2008

BigFactory posted:

Would be a fine choice if he had a stereo. He needs active speakers.

He could get those (they're great) and spend the additional $35 for these: http://amzn.com/B0029HHIDY ; http://amzn.com/B0049P6OTI ; http://amzn.com/B003Z6ZR5O

That's what I did and it suit my needs fine for 6 months until I got the itch to buy a vintage receiver. Of course now we're at double the budget but that's record collecting~

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

dalaamprince posted:

He could get those (they're great) and spend the additional $35 for these: http://amzn.com/B0029HHIDY ; http://amzn.com/B0049P6OTI ; http://amzn.com/B003Z6ZR5O

That's what I did and it suit my needs fine for 6 months until I got the itch to buy a vintage receiver. Of course now we're at double the budget but that's record collecting~

Yeah, why wouldn't you just spend the money on a used stereo in the first place? There's overpriced gear out there but a lot of cheap stuff, too. It is yard sale season after all.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

strap on revenge posted:

e: also a high priority: new furniture

Looks great. Glad the cleaning helped.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
And did you end up getting it properly grounded?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Ron Burgundy posted:

And did you end up getting it properly grounded?

Yeah I did, without buying wire too :c00lbutt:

It's missing its cueing arm though which is something I'd like to fix also. I looked around eBay for cueing arms and it seems like there's a couple of different types so I'm not sure what kind I'd need

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Guess who just made bank on a cult record that was impulse puuurchased?

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

I bet you're this guy!

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

No, that's not me. But I saw that and wondered if the music on that is anything special other than being RARE+++++++++++.

But I made bank off of selling my first pressing of Plains of the Purple Buffalo. Am stoked cause I really need money for food. I'm living discog sale to discog sale.

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

Hmph, now that I think about it I don't have any particularly rare records. My Sgt. Peppers is a '67 press, but I hardly ever listen to it anymore.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I own a test copy of "The Bird" by Morris Day & The Time.

The label is handwritten with pencil. No I don't know why I own this.

It's because Prince wrote it

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I think my rarests are As Tall As Lions' S/T on pink, Passion Pit's Manners, and both Dear and the Headlights albums... all of which were just random grabs. Hell, I got the As Tall As Lions album for $6 from some auction.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

WASDF posted:

No, that's not me. But I saw that and wondered if the music on that is anything special other than being RARE+++++++++++.

It was an alternate version of the debut album that contained different takes and/or mixes. It's been available as a bootleg for years and recently got an official release.

This is the official release of that material: http://www.discogs.com/Velvet-Underground-Scepter-Studios-Sessions/release/5120880

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 24, 2014

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

One of my favourite contemporary folk Canadian acts Megan Bonnell finally pressed some vinyl. :)

(edit: oops looks like she already pressed some last october, and i missed it then, and this is a repress)

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 24, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ernie. posted:

One of my favourite contemporary folk Canadian acts Megan Bonnell finally pressed some vinyl. :)

(edit: oops looks like she already pressed some last october, and i missed it then, and this is a repress)

Pretty far removed from what I normally listen to, but I kinda dig this. Thanks for the link. Cheap, too.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Another batch of records came in the mail that once belonged to my late mother-in-law. I'll take pictures and list them later, but my initial :woop: at finding a copy of Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew" in the pile turned to :sigh: when I discovered the first record was missing.

So umm, if anyone has a spare side 1/2 of Bitches Brew lying around, let me know. Original pressing, circa 1970.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 2, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ballz posted:

Another batch of records came in the mail that once belonged to my late mother-in-law. I'll take pictures and list them later, but my initial :woop: at finding a copy of Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew" in the pile turned to :sigh: when I discovered the second record was missing.

So umm, if anyone has a spare side 3/4 of Bitches Brew lying around, let me know. Original pressing, circa 1970.

It might be in another jacket.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Pretty good day for street purchases. I got ten $1 records at a stoop sale. Mostly techno/electronic/whatever with some corny house in there, oh well. I was just taking some chances on cheap vinyl.

Acme-Crystal Clear-no label?-1994. I like this one a lot so far! It will be great for when I'm raving my face off at home, which happens never.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz3cEIwW9LQ

Audion-Just loving- Ghostly Intermational 2005

Roman Flugel-Geht's Noch-Cocoon Recordings 2004

Acronym City-Powermoves Test Press- Sub Freq Recordings 1996

Thomas Schumacher-Ficken?-Bush Music 1996

Eureeka! Presents Mental Lockdown- DJAX UP BEATS 1995

And on the corny side imo,these two house records
Green Velvet-The Bathroom-Relief Records 2005

Cajmere-Testified-Powered-Gem 2004

And for variety, Prodigy from Mobb Deep-Young Black Entrepreneurs-Loud 2000

e- I need to find a better way to post pictures from my phone, those are huge.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 24, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Here's some of my yardsale/thrift store pickups from the past week or so. That delta blues compilation was a buck and seems to be worth in the 40-50 range, so that helps me justify my record hoarding for a little bit longer.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
I recently started up buying on ebay again, first I wanted just the Disc Tote, couldn't convince the guy to take out the records to make shipping to Canada cheaper but there ended up being a few interesting ones.

This morning I bought a Uni collection, 158 Uni mostly promo 45s. Don't even really have any names or artists just yet but should be interesting. Shipping and import for the whole 158 record collection to Canada is 50 bucks, for the other 5 45s I bought with names(The Dell Kings/The Nice/Kinks/Buffalo Springfield/Crazy Horse) shipping and import is 20 bucks. Hoping to sort something out with the seller.
Here are the most recent 3 records I've picked up locally, hopefully the last before I head to Montreal and check out some stuff there. I guess I'm digging Orange vibes

The new Swans isn't available in Canada on vinyl yet but he had just got Burning World in so I grabbed it(originally released on Uni),Channel Orange is a bootleg but at least now I have both, I just played it once but I wasn't so stoked on how it sounds but it's got one coloured orange record. In den Gärten Pharaos is ridiculously good and a great package, I really wanted a Florian Fricke record and wasn't sure which one, the owner of the shop said this was his favourite so I stopped there.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
My Tonetta records are going to be worth so much someday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3ygGJBhUjo

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Snowy posted:

And for variety, Prodigy from Mobb Deep-Young Black Entrepreneurs-Loud 2000

You've been killing the Hip Hop singles lately, that Stetsasonic score was tight and I'm super jealous of this, I bought HNIC on cassette years ago at Ameoba in Berkeley and have loved it ever since. That's a fav track off of that album, would love to hear the instrumental. What's on the flip side?
That blues comp looks really wicked, do you mind me asking what the 12"HotBiscuit underneath yr Costello is? I love those 12" singles.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

My Tonetta records are going to be worth so much someday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3ygGJBhUjo

Do you have the 81 Inch Prime rear end single on cassette though? :smuggo:

edit: ah christ this guy actually had records pressed.

alg fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 24, 2014

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

alg posted:

i have all 3 LP's and the "Get it Going" 7". Modern classics.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

alg posted:

That song has always been in my top list of feel good tracks. I catch myself singing it a lot when I'm doing dishes.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

That song has always been in my top list of feel good tracks. I catch myself singing it a lot when I'm doing dishes.

Straight up. Some of my favorite LP's to jam on a sunny day.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Elrobot posted:

That blues comp looks really wicked, do you mind me asking what the 12"HotBiscuit underneath yr Costello is? I love those 12" singles.

Lene Lovitch - Say When

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Elrobot posted:

That's a fav track off of that album, would love to hear the instrumental. What's on the flip side?

Unfortunately, it's the same on both sides :smith:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

BigFactory posted:

It might be in another jacket.

It's possible, although unfortunately I still may not have it, as we only took approximately half of my mother-in-law's collection with us (she deemed the rest of the music as being terrible and not worth taking). I also unfortunately discovered tonight that the Gabor Szabo double LP I included in my last haul is actually two copies of the second record. The first record is nowhere to be found. My mother-in-law may have had awesome taste in music, but she wasn't really one to take good care of her stuff, unfortunately.

But hey, with that in mind, here's a pic of the last box shipped to us:

Steppenwolf - For Ladies Only
James Gang - Live in Concert
James Gang - Rides Again
Bob Dylan - Another Side of Bob Dylan
The Allman Brothers - Reach for the Sky
Miles Davis - Live Evil
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (missing second record)
Ry Cooder - Chicken Skin Music
The Fugs - The Belle of Avenue A
Chick Corea and Return to Forever - Light as a Feather
Billie Holiday - Volume II
Billie Holiday - The Original Recordings
Billie Holiday - A Rare "Live" Recording of Billie Holiday
Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters and Bo Diddley - The Super Blues Band
Muddy Waters - After the Rain
John Abercrombie and Ralph Towner - Sargasso Sea
Les McCann - New From the Big City
Julian Priester - Keep Swingin'
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland
Aretha Franklin - Greatest Hits
Leon Russell - Carney
Leon Russell - And the Shelter People
Mountain - Climbing
Jackson Browne - For Everyman
Jackson Browne - Running on Empty
Jackson Browne - The Pretender
George Carlin - Take-Offs and Put-Ons
Norman Connors - Love From the Sun
"How to Enjoy College on Impulse" - Impulse Records Sampler (January 1967)
Arlo Guthrie - Alice's Restaurant
The Kinks - Sleepwalker
The Kinks - Misfits
Gerry Mulligan and Chet Baker/Buddy DeFranco Quartet
Frank Strozier Quartet - March of the Siamese Children
Herbie Mann - Live at Whiskey A Go Go

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Wow she even liked The Fugs, must have been a fun lady. Glad that stuff found a good home with you.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ is having a buy 2 get 1 free on LP's. I scored Led Zeppelin 1-3 remasters for $44. Overpaying obv but worth it for me.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I got a few things on a quick trip to Philadelphia, which I have to say is a fantastic town for vinyl. There were so many good stores it was a real treat coming from NYC. Cheapskate that I am, I only spent $7 on these hip hop 12"s.

Just Ice, The Desolate One LP-1989. I had high hopes for this since I'm a big fan of his debut, "Back to the Old School", which has great production by Mantronik. KRS-1 produced this one and so far it seems like he really dropped the ball. Still not the worst dollar I've spent.

Bounty Killer w. Jeru, Suicide Murder-1995. I love a good dancehall/hip hop combo, and this one has mixes in both styles.

This is the really exciting one, Paris- The Devil Made Me Do It-1990. I've loved this track since it came out! It's just like Rakim doing Microphone Fiend with the politics and bombast of Public Enemy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKRAFPHD8W4

And a free 7" I have no clue about.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 26, 2014

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Snowy posted:

I got a few things on a quick trip to Philadelphia, which I have to say is a fantastic town for vinyl. There were so many good stores it was a real treat coming from NYC. Cheapskate that I am, I only spent $7 on these hip hop 12"s.

What stores did you hit? Philly is a great vinyl town.. I might be bit biased though.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Philadelphia is the second best vinyl city to me, after Nashville.

Not counting Chicago, because of my home city biases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Philadelphia is the second best vinyl city to me, after Nashville.

Not counting Chicago, because of my home city biases.

What all is there in Nashville? I've only been to one or two record stores there.

Hometown bias but I'm from Knoxville and we have some awesome stores.