Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cicero posted:

Looked at her Wikipedia bio, she has an even more recent show that sounds right up our alley: Money Moron

I'm digging her blog:

http://gailvazoxlade.com/blog/?p=604

quote:

The percentages are:

35% for housing (mortgage/taxes, rent, utilities, insurance, maintenance),
15% for transportation (car payments, gas, repairs, insurance, parking, transit),
10% for saving (long-term saving),
15% for debt repayment, and
25% for life (everything from groceries to entertainment, medical to childcare… In fact, everything that’s not in the other four categories.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'm not really a fan of throwing medical and groceries in with entertainment and stupid poo poo, but it's a start for someone who can't handle a bunch of categories I suppose.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nail Rat posted:

I'm not really a fan of throwing medical and groceries in with entertainment and stupid poo poo, but it's a start for someone who can't handle a bunch of categories I suppose.

She's Canadian, so health care would be a minimal cost in her world

triwolf
May 9, 2008

Folly posted:

Disappointing. But it's still pretty entertaining as fiction. I'd bet that most of us have known a guy who was "totally going to open his own bar." A few of us probably know somebody who entertained the idea even after he sobered up. I shouldn't mind the idea of completing the storytelling on those disasters.

Well if it makes you feel better the owners are every bit as crazy as the show portrays!

axeil posted:

I live in Arlington and there's a lot of talk here at the office of going there at some point just for the novelty factor. Every bar in the DC area near offices goes with the corporate theme and it's boring as hell. While "pirate theme" may be dumb, at least it's something unique and probably gets some novelty traffic.

The bar did hire a new chef, installed taps, and upgraded the theme from "plastic Halloween pirates" to a more nautical decor, so the bar has been improved from the attention the show brought. Try to go on a night when they have a band or performer, it's definitely a more entertaining experience when there are more people there. Don't drink the grog unless you want alcohol poisoning and diabetes.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

EugeneJ posted:

She's Canadian, so health care would be a minimal cost in her world

Yeah healthcare is a footnote in a Canadian budget. OTC meds and uh... Dental I guess?

Prince$$ is on one of the French women's channel that's on free preview this month, I've caught a few episode. It's this thread in easily digested 30 minutes portion, although it does get repetitive.

The amount of people who are amazed - AMAZED - to find out that if they didn't spend 3000 a month on clothes, on 35k a year income, they could move out from their parents basements...

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

ranbo das posted:

He's actually less of a dick than he used to be. M used to be part of my corporation in eve but got banned because his forum signature was removed for almost giving a guy a seizure, so he managed to figure out who got it removed and baited them into clicking a link to a picture that did give them a seizure.

Holy poo poo. Please keep us up to date on this guy, especially if it turns out horribly.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Cicero posted:

Looked at her Wikipedia bio, she has an even more recent show that sounds right up our alley: Money Moron

This show is great. Some dude wrote a cheque for $13.30 and it bounced. His excuse: "Poor timing."

Though to be fair he was the much better one in the relationship with money. It was her that was mostly dropping them into debt.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Lord Tywin posted:

We have this show here in Sweden that essentially is this thread, it's about people who have hosed up their economy and are on the verge of bankruptcy. The premise is that two economic advisers first go through how much debt the people they help have, how much they make each month and are given power of attorney over their finances. After that they get the budget board up where they show how much the chucklefucks spend each month which always shocks them.

Then the advisers sell things they don't use , help them get jobs if they don't have any and try to help them adapt a more frugal lifestyle. It's a real shame that it doesn't seem to be available with English subtitles because it's always one hour of hilarious schadenfreude.

We have the same show in Denmark. They did an episode with Frederik Fetterlein, the former Danish pro tennis player, who has squandered all his money, and is now deeply in debt. He happily stated that he had done some math, and he expected to be debt free in two years. The host asked him if he realized that he had to pay taxes on his income. "....well, four years, then!"

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
We have several shows like that in Germany, the most well-known has been going on since 2007 and is called Raus aus den Schulden (Let's get out of debt) with professional debt advisor Peter Zwegat (who started his career path after having an epiphany when he absolutely had to buy a particular wallpaper for 630 DM and needed to go into debt for it).

The worst case of bad with money I remember him having was a family with kids, no jobs, no education, and 17k Euros of debt. During the course of the episode the wife decided to stop being bad with money by taking the children and emigrating to Switzerland, leaving the soon-after-divorced husband with nothing but the debt. He then promptly refused any further help (and went into bankrupty later on I believe).

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Bad with money story: My sister :sigh:

My sister is the sole owner of a house, which also has a small 2 bedroom unit under it she uses to supplement the mortgage payments. The house has three bedrooms, so her and her son used two and she rented the third room out to a friend, giving her two rental streams to pay the mortgage off even faster. Ugh IT STARTS SO PROMISINGLY...

She ends up dating the friend renting the 3rd room. He has severe depression, anxiety and extreme OCD, but is unmedicated and is not interested in therapy. He ends up losing his job and goes into a depressive tailspin, paying no rent for a while, then starts paying a token amount from his unemployment benefit. Eventually she ends their relationship, but says he can keep renting the room. He embarks on a series of embarrassing attempts to win her back.

Eventually it gets so awkward she realises they can't keep living together. So clearly the best way forward is for her to move out of the house and back with our parents, leaving him in her home, because she couldn't bear kicking him out and it was easier to move home than have that discussion. She only made him pay the cost of the room rather than the rental for the entire house, and he was meant to find roommates to share the house with. He of course made no effort to find roommates so she was down thousands of dollars of missed rent when the house was finally fully tenanted.

The other aggravating part is that she's living rent/expense free with my parents, so her disposable income has skyrocketed now that her mortgage is (finally) covered by the rental payments. Her plan was to use this chance to pour thousands of dollars into the principal of the mortgage to pay the house off much faster, since my parents will probably only let her stay for 1-2 years. Instead, she has gone on out of town trips at least twice a month, burned hundreds on new expensive hobbies, spent $3,500 on a glamour photography session and is now going to Europe for three weeks.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Your sister is bad at money AND relationships.

Someone make a BFC/EN Venn diagram (zaurg goes in the middle).

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tamarillo posted:

$3,500 on a glamour photography session

What is up with these exactly - is it just a scam to make unattractive girls feel like they're a model?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
^^^^
Yes, pretty much. The pictures always end up as nothing more than expensive profile pictures on Facebook.

Atrayonis posted:

We have several shows like that in Germany, the most well-known has been going on since 2007 and is called Raus aus den Schulden (Let's get out of debt) with professional debt advisor Peter Zwegat (who started his career path after having an epiphany when he absolutely had to buy a particular wallpaper for 630 DM and needed to go into debt for it).

The worst case of bad with money I remember him having was a family with kids, no jobs, no education, and 17k Euros of debt. During the course of the episode the wife decided to stop being bad with money by taking the children and emigrating to Switzerland, leaving the soon-after-divorced husband with nothing but the debt. He then promptly refused any further help (and went into bankrupty later on I believe).

17k Euros of debt? Pfft that's nothing. I'd stop watching for an amount that small. I only watch the juicy ones where the family has 100k+ Euros on consumption loans. Those are the fun ones, because they never ever have anything to show for it. poo poo car, poo poo house/apartment (rented) that is furnished like poo poo. Everything is just poo poo. then you find out that they spent all the money on loans to pay older loans as well as insane tobacco/eating out/going out habits.

Actually it's pretty sad, but that's what happens when easy loans are just an SMS away.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 23, 2014

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

17k Euros of debt? Pfft that's nothing. I'd stop watching for an amount that small. I only watch the juicy ones where the family has 100k+ Euros on consumption loans. Those are the fun ones, because they never ever have anything to show for it. poo poo car, poo poo house/apartment (rented) that is furnished like poo poo. Everything is just poo poo. then you find out that they spent all the money on loans to pay older loans as well as insane tobacco/eating out/going out habits.

Actually it's pretty sad, but that's what happens when easy loans are just an SMS away.

The people on that Money Moron show literally didn't know they were spending twice what they earn each month.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Your sister is bad at money AND relationships.

Someone make a BFC/EN Venn diagram (zaurg goes in the middle).

BFC is E/N with a quantitative approach.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

It's funny because it's so true

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Hahaha, this is amazing.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

FrozenVent posted:

Business, Finance, and Careers › Bad with Money: E/N with a quantitative approach.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Thank you, /r/personalfinance. Bolding is mine.

quote:

Hello there: we are a family of 5. 3 kids and us. My weekly take home is $1393. We have $20K in unsecured debt, but low interest which I'm paying off monthly. 2 Car payments $220 ($6000 left) and $360($18000 left). My wife does not work full time, but she has an amazon book store which brings in on an average $300 a month. My IRA is at $44000, out of which $10000 is Roth. We want to add an extension to our house. The contractor bid $35000. We will negotiate it down to $30000. Based on the interest rate and my credit score, If I borrow $30000 as home improvement loan, my monthly payment is going to be ~ $275 a month. I forgot to mention, our Mortgage payment is $1867. I was wondering how should I manage the cost of borrowing the $30000 with my current salary. a) Take money out from IRA and pay off the car. This will free the $220 a month to pay for the Home Improvement loan Monthly installment. b) Withdraw everything from the IRA and use that to finance the construction? c) Hybrid: Withdraw half from the IRA and remaining from the bank and use that to fund the construction?

I could really use some help here!

Thanks a bunch!

Edit: Here is the monthly budget: Yearly Gross: $98000. Weekly take home: 1393

Expenses: Mortgage: $1867
Car 1: 220
Car 2: 360
Loan payment : $430
Cable: 75 (basic + internet)
Netflix: $12:00
Car insurance : 175
Heating bill : 300 (Budget plan)
Student loan : 204
Phone bill: (3 lines) $160 (ATT)
Grocery: $400
Gas: $200
And yes, I'm interviewing for a side job. I'm an Engineer at a premier electronics device manufacturer.

Reason for upgrade: Another baby coming in. I know, I know ! But being from a very small family, when my parents died early, us two brothers had tough time. So I wanted a larger family.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I like that he has what appears to be a full time engineering job and is looking to get a night job on the side too. It's just like that one episode of The Office when Michael Scott works at the telemarketing firm at night.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is this the right thread for people that have little to no money, yet insist upon spending tons of money on pet food, pet deposits, and other poo poo for animals?

I like animals, but goddam, I see and hear of so many people that go into much more expensive places with higher deposits because they just HAAAAAAAAAVVVEE to have fluffy in the house.

I mean poo poo, we're bad with money, and I say we because I let my wife do it. Our freakin cat. Seriously, the deposit wasn't bad, but we've literally lost a lot of our deposits from all our places specifically because of our cat. He looks out the window through the venetian blinds and breaks them off. Now when I look out my window, I can see through the blinds because of so many have been broken off. Combine that with him trying to eat them, clawing at the floorboard moulding, his nasty-rear end pet smell in the bathroom...

I'll be surprised if we get ANY of our deposit back. Not to mention all the food we have to buy him and stuff. Ugh.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014
^^

We have a dog and that automatically makes us bad with money too. My wife spends hundreds per year on treats, bully sticks, and toys for the little poo poo machine. Not to mention the countless glasses/sun glasses, bags, shoes, clothing, carpets, table legs, tv remotes, CAT-5 cables, headset cables, and couch cushions he's chewed up.

We got the little fucker a year ago and he's probably cost me $3,000 all said and done up until this point including medical bills (neutering, rabies vacs, heartworm pills, etc). He's cute but jesus christ...I feel like the dog runs my life.

The things we do for women.

fruition fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 24, 2014

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Jastiger posted:

Is this the right thread for people that have little to no money, yet insist upon spending tons of money on pet food, pet deposits, and other poo poo for animals?

I like animals, but goddam, I see and hear of so many people that go into much more expensive places with higher deposits because they just HAAAAAAAAAVVVEE to have fluffy in the house.

I mean poo poo, we're bad with money, and I say we because I let my wife do it. Our freakin cat. Seriously, the deposit wasn't bad, but we've literally lost a lot of our deposits from all our places specifically because of our cat. He looks out the window through the venetian blinds and breaks them off. Now when I look out my window, I can see through the blinds because of so many have been broken off. Combine that with him trying to eat them, clawing at the floorboard moulding, his nasty-rear end pet smell in the bathroom...

I'll be surprised if we get ANY of our deposit back. Not to mention all the food we have to buy him and stuff. Ugh.

Seems like I'd just keep the blinds raised if I were you? Doesn't fix everything but it'd fix the obvious problem.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

IllegallySober posted:

Seems like I'd just keep the blinds raised if I were you? Doesn't fix everything but it'd fix the obvious problem.

Well the place we're in there is easy accessibility to sit in front of the window and get at them. So the blinds are actually broken at the eye level and not down low.

Plus, gently caress that. He's a cat. Little fucker can just NOT destroy my poo poo. I shouldn't have to give up having privacy because he's an idiot.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Bird crew best crew :parrot:

Our budgie costs us about 6000 yen (about 60 US) every half year in food and that's it. It would be cheaper still but the little gourmet insists on the top-shelf pellets. Greens and treats are insignificant. No vet bills because he never gets sick :smug:

Perhaps you should trade in your cat for a nice budgie or cockatiel?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Or get a scratching post or softpaws, and clean the litter box regularly??

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Weatherman posted:

Our budgie costs us about 6000 yen (about 60 US) every half year in food and that's it. It would be cheaper still but the little gourmet insists on the top-shelf pellets. Greens and treats are insignificant. No vet bills because he never gets sick :smug:

You'll get yours when he catches one of those bird flus and starts an epidemic.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Weatherman posted:

You could replace him with a hermit crab and cut that cost down to about 3 bucks a month after startup costs, a 70% savings! :colbert:

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I budget $300/month for vet visits, medicine and special food for my sick cat. She has lymphoma but it's well managed so hopefully she'll live for a few more years. I don't feel that it's bad with money. My retirement contributions are maxed out, I save some on the side, and my priorities are consciously set.

Advice for the frustrated car owner: spend some more money on toys and extra litter boxes so the cat won't destroy your apartment. I have no trouble leaving a place cleaner that I found it when moving.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
We just got a little schnauzer mix ourselves. $150 for the dog from the rescue place, roughly $300 for the crate, toys, initial food, pet bed, etc. $250 for the pet deposit, and $25 a month for the pet rent.

Expensive, but I love the little guy. It was worth it.

Edit: oh, and the groomers. gently caress, that poo poo is expensive. $45 a pop.

blackmet fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 24, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Pets are a novelty. So are hobbies like running triathlons, rock climbing memberships, video games and subscriptions, and so on. Pick your novelty, stay within your means, be happy.

The only caveat is that pets are like, able to feel pain, so there's a moral aspect to the life you make for them. Some people can't afford, for whatever reason, to fulfill their obligations to their pets. That's loving bad with money and also disgusting. The compulsive animal owners we hear about here all the time are an example of that, losing like $500 a year in deposits because your hobby is destructive to your home is not really bad with money.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I worked in a pharmacy and we made $200 compounded IV's for 20-year old cats who were crippled and could no longer move.

Euthanasia is always the best option, but God wants kitty to still be here and blah blah blah :911:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Pretty sure The Church and The Conservatives don't have much to say about euthanizing pets; it's not a political or religious thing - it's just emotional on the part of the pet owner.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FrozenVent posted:

Pretty sure The Church and The Conservatives don't have much to say about euthanizing pets; it's not a political or religious thing - it's just emotional on the part of the pet owner.

I watched my cousin let her dog get to the point where it couldn't walk, its kidneys failed and it started vomiting blood while simultaneously making GBS threads itself.

At some point you have to realize that you have the option of *not* seeing that happen and you can let the poor thing die as peacefully as possible.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
Just heard a great one for this thread.

My barber just informed me that her man-child husband pays for both a Verizon and Comcast Internet account so that he can use Comcast Internet, but maintain his Verizon email account, because he set that one up for his work stuff. They're gonna pay install fees to both companies because he doesn't want to figure out how to hook up his modem(s?) himself.

He also spends upward of $2000 annually on M:TG cards for tournament play, which he never makes any money from. I remember her telling me a while ago that he buys a new pair of expensive sneakers every month or so.

They have a ~2 year old daughter and they jump from family rental to family rental because they can't afford to actually strike out on their own.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

tuyop posted:

Pets are a novelty. So are hobbies like running triathlons, rock climbing memberships, video games and subscriptions, and so on. Pick your novelty, stay within your means, be happy.

The only caveat is that pets are like, able to feel pain, so there's a moral aspect to the life you make for them. Some people can't afford, for whatever reason, to fulfill their obligations to their pets. That's loving bad with money and also disgusting. The compulsive animal owners we hear about here all the time are an example of that, losing like $500 a year in deposits because your hobby is destructive to your home is not really bad with money.

I agree except the novelty of the pet isn't like running triathlons, rock climbing, or video games. Your running shoes don't directly impact the rest of the family. Your rock climbing membership doesn't try to run away every chance it gets and tracks mud into your house. Your video games don't cause damage to a place you're renting for no reason at all.

Pets are a novelty, but I feel like they are a bit more than a simple hobby like what you describe. Maybe that is why it bugs me so much. We all have hobbies, mine just doesn't cost everyone around me money or mess up the house when I'm away. My wifes does and its still my house >:(

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
It sounds like you really don't like animals so maybe rather than complain about it here, you should have (or should have had) a serious conversation with your wife.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I disagree about the video games/movies not ruining your deposit.

There was a reviewer version of The Wolf of Wall Street that was made on an eco-friendly disc that was notorious for catching fire after getting to a certain temperature. So technically.... :colbert:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Training your pet is a good option and it's not exactly expensive. My family has had five cats (only two at a time) and a German shepherd, and my parents' house has never been destroyed like you're talking about. It's doable in almost all situations if you just give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fruition
Feb 1, 2014
Yeah I feel like I should've clarified my thoughts better. Getting a dog is bad with money in the same way that having a baby is bad with money. The pet becomes another member of your family that is completely dependent on you until it dies, and well, you do love the thing...so you make emotional decisions, in the best interest of the animals' health/happiness, which ultimately are bad financial decisions.

Bad with money OR bad for money? As long as you can afford to take care of the pet and meet all other financial obligations I guess it's more "bad for money".

New bad with money story:

My sister just found out she's pregnant. She's in her mid twenties and has no education, no career, and was living paycheck to paycheck as a waitress before this happened. As soon as she found out she was pregnant, like THAT day, she quit her waitressing job so she could stay home and be a stay-at-home-soon-to-be-mother...

She didn't realize the baby wont be arriving for another nine months!? Good Christ, she's so irresponsible I feel like her baby will be my responsibility to get through college, and god forbid poo poo went south with her less-than-a-year-old relationship (that she's now completely dependent on this dude).

• Locked thread