Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

So that's how it works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

bilperkins2 posted:

How are they going to enforce that?

Judon't.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 48 minutes!

Beach Bum posted:

I see your watermelon man and raise you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebh6x6Bze_0

Yeah, I remember seeing Petey Greene's Washington on TV years ago.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

beato posted:

Is that Robert Webb?
It's ALWAYS Robert Webb.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

Martial law.

:rimshot:

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

cheerfullydrab posted:

It's ALWAYS Robert Webb.

I think it might be Paterson Joseph actually.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

bilperkins2 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voeID5w8hxw

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

bilperkins2 posted:

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Martial law.

Yeah, he'll take care of it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
Fun fact: that is the same guy who played Darth Maul.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ewan posted:

Wait, really?

Edit: Huh, I tried out this "google" thing and that's right.

RoyKeen has a new favorite as of 01:57 on May 24, 2014

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Kanfy posted:

You could at least post some funny pictures or something.

He has crazy eyes. Every time I've met like, extremely deranged people, they always have that same look to their eyes. I wonder why?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Ewan posted:

Well, voiced, but not acted.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Toriori posted:

He has crazy eyes. Every time I've met like, extremely deranged people, they always have that same look to their eyes. I wonder why?

dudes who want to project an aura of intensity tend to overdo the stare. notice how his right eye crosses too far inwards, hes not focusing on anything in particular. manson does the same thing in 70s photos.

jgrrr
Oct 3, 2007

&

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Well, voiced, but not acted.

Well the actor was also night crawler in one of them xmans movies

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl

jgrrr posted:

Well the actor was also night crawler in one of them xmans movies

Alan Cumming? :confused:

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Darth Maul was Ray Park.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Park, ironically, was in X-Men, as Toad.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

Let's ask noted African-American G.K. Butterfield.

It's a catcher's mitt with eyes!

"What a small face."

One of my favourite quips from MST3K was comparing Mitchell to "a middle-aged Chucky."

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Mezzanine posted:

Yeah, he'll take care of it.

Goddamnit I was going to make the same joke last night but I was too tired. :negative:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Kanfy posted:

Goddamnit I was going to make the same joke last night but I was too tired. :negative:

I really want to read those comments.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

I can't believe that song came out in 1999.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Beach Bum posted:

God-drat. The underlying tune has become one of those fanciful things you hear everywhere, but I never knew it had lyrics, or what they were. You here that tune all the time as a sort of barnyard theme, or blaring from the speakers of ice-cream trucks.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That underlying song is called Turkey in the Straw, dates from the 1820s or so, and probably has an ancestor older than that. And like anything produced in 1820s America, it was indeed racist as gently caress.

e: That youtube link also includes an amazing line in the description:

At first glance that link appears racist as gently caress what with it's title "The Coon Obsession with Chicken & Watermelon", but upon closer inspection it appears to be a genuinely non-racist exploration of where that particular stereotype comes from.

PittTheElder has a new favorite as of 09:32 on May 24, 2014

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

PittTheElder posted:

That underlying song is called Turkey in the Straw, dates from the 1820s or so, and probably has an ancestor older than that. And like anything produced in 1820s America, it was indeed racist as gently caress.

Turkey in the Straw is not racist and has nothing to do with the lovely watermelon version. The version in that Youtube video came a hundred years after Turkey in the Straw, and Turkey in the Straw descends from an even older Irish folk song which also had nothing to do with the nasty racist lyrics attached to it by Harry Browne.

Centripetal Horse has a new favorite as of 10:36 on May 24, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Centripetal Horse posted:

Turkey in the Straw is not racist and has nothing to do with the lovely watermelon version. The version in that Youtube video came a hundred years after Turkey in the Straw, and Turkey in the Straw descends from an even older Irish folk song which also had nothing to do with the nasty racist lyrics attached to it by Harry Browne.
Yeah I was pretty sure Turkey in the Straw was much older than that and people just reused the melody for other things because copyright laws never existed anywhere in the world until like radio or something came along and then they HAD to make them. Cuz anyone could just walk anywhere, make a song, attribute and bam.

Anyways

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FinalGamer posted:

copyright laws never existed anywhere in the world until like radio or something came along

Copyright pre-dates radio by well over 100 years.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Copyright pre-dates radio by well over 100 years.

Nobody gave a poo poo about it until around the same time radio hit the scene and printing records became a profitable thing. Well, people gave a poo poo if you were selling the sheet music to a copywritten song without the proper attribution, but most of these songs passed from person to person without sheet music.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Nobody gave a poo poo about it until around the same time radio hit the scene and printing records became a profitable thing. Well, people gave a poo poo if you were selling the sheet music to a copywritten song without the proper attribution, but most of these songs passed from person to person without sheet music.

Yeah, it's not like things like books had copyright and that there was extensive litigation on them.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Centripetal Horse posted:

Turkey in the Straw is not racist

Looks pretty racist to me. :shrug:

Of course it wasn't originally associated with racist caricatures but there was a 100 year period where it was popularized by minstrel acts where it definitely did gain that association since most people during that period associated it with blackface performances. After minstrelsy lost popularity it gradually lost that racist connotation and pretty much no one these days had any idea about it until that "The icecream truck tune is racist!" article appeared earlier this year.

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Someone's probably going to dub over Wakko's America with the racist lyrics, aren't they?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

FinalGamer posted:

Yeah I was pretty sure Turkey in the Straw was much older than that and people just reused the melody for other things because copyright laws never existed anywhere in the world until like radio or something came along and then they HAD to make them. Cuz anyone could just walk anywhere, make a song, attribute and bam.

Anyways

Every time I've seen a variation of this sign I wanna run full steam toward the door and punt the gently caress out of that goose

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ozz81 posted:

Every time I've seen a variation of this sign I wanna run full steam toward the door and punt the gently caress out of that goose

I would stand back and take your picture.

It probably wouldn't end the way you are imagining.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Would probably just call animal control and have them shoot the loving goose or whatever.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Ozz81 posted:

You've never been around an agressive bird, have you? Y'all may laugh but I assume you a rooster can be a vicious animal and believe me punting them doesn't do much good. I'm fairly sure geese can be a hell of a lot worse than them even.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Set this dude go for he is obviously a god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

And so began the Thousand Year Darkness...

• Locked thread