Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Jastiger posted:

I agree except the novelty of the pet isn't like running triathlons, rock climbing, or video games. Your running shoes don't directly impact the rest of the family. Your rock climbing membership doesn't try to run away every chance it gets and tracks mud into your house. Your video games don't cause damage to a place you're renting for no reason at all.

Pets are a novelty, but I feel like they are a bit more than a simple hobby like what you describe. Maybe that is why it bugs me so much. We all have hobbies, mine just doesn't cost everyone around me money or mess up the house when I'm away. My wifes does and its still my house >:(

Any hobby can mess up a family, just by the virtue of spending way too much time and money on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Computer Widows are a thing for a reason :eng101: I don't know that there's a goon out there who doesn't personally know someone who has ruined their career/education/relationships/life in general over a video game they couldn't put down :(

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

An aside: While I very much think gaming addiction is real, most times I hear about a relationship suffering "because of videogames" it's really a case of someone not wanting to have that relationship and taking the path of least resistance. Most people act according to their desires if not their best interests; addiction is not rare, but spending time on something you enjoy instead of placating a nagging spouse isn't exactly a pathological affliction.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Jam posted:

Any hobby can mess up a family, just by the virtue of spending way too much time and money on it.

This seems fair and true.

I should clarify as far as the bad with money part, its not like my cat is some huge financial drain on our household and we're in dire straits like the person who quits their job when she discovered she was pregnant. Its just frustrating to have an extra financial hit because little kitty decided to chew on the blinds while we're at work.

I also brought it up because many folks DO spend a lot of extra money on pets because just love animals, and it puts them in terrible financial positions. I know folks that are barely keeping the lights on because they need the high quality mega organic food from Petsmart and they require only the best stylist for their fur coat. Its even worse if the animal gets really sick and all the money goes to vet bills.

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone
Some of you have disturbing opinions. Is the meaning of life to make 100% financially sound decisions or is it to experience things that life has to offer? children, pets, hobbies, travel, etc. Is eating out a financially sound decision? Usually not if you can cook it yourself, yet it's common because it's usually an enjoyable experience and that's worth paying more.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lava Lamp posted:

Some of you have disturbing opinions. Is the meaning of life to make 100% financially sound decisions or is it to experience things that life has to offer? children, pets, hobbies, travel, etc.

Both. If you can't afford a luxury, it's irresponsible to buy it.

I would never bring kids into the world if I couldn't afford to raise them. But they're God's Little Blessings and blah blah blah :911:

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

I would never bring kids into the world if I couldn't afford to raise them. But they're God's Little Blessings and blah blah blah :911:

It's almost impossible to "afford" children. Besides the obvious costs associated with them, the sheer time you spend with then is ridiculous. I have a 7 week old and is literally a second full time job. That pays in kisses instead of lame rear end dollars.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Lava Lamp posted:

it's usually an enjoyable experience and that's worth paying more.
America.txt.. people work themselves to the bone to eat chicken parm at Olive Garden and takeout for lunch every day and complain about their credit card debt.

If you have to spend shitloads of money to experience what life has to offer you're probably doing it wrong. Being financially responsible for creatures whose lives depend on you - that's a disturbing opinion? Come on, now..

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dollars can buy you kisses while the kisses are none transferable.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Inudeku posted:

It's almost impossible to "afford" children. Besides the obvious costs associated with them, the sheer time you spend with then is ridiculous. I have a 7 week old and is literally a second full time job. That pays in kisses instead of lame rear end dollars.

Well if you have 1k a month of income you could do away with and meet your other savings goals I'd say that's a good benchmark for whether you can afford a child.

And sacrificing your own retirement to pay for a kid just ensures they'll have to feel obligated to spend lots of money taking care of you when they're trying to start their own family. So yes...it's important to take the financial realities seriously.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 24, 2014

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

Well if you have 1k a month of income you could do away with and meet your other savings goals I'd say that's a good benchmark for whether you can afford a child.

To an extent. You have to value your time and freedom too

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

moana posted:

America.txt.. people work themselves to the bone to eat chicken parm at Olive Garden and takeout for lunch every day and complain about their credit card debt.

If you have to spend shitloads of money to experience what life has to offer you're probably doing it wrong. Being financially responsible for creatures whose lives depend on you - that's a disturbing opinion? Come on, now..

You are attacking an argument no one made.

He said that life is not about who can make their bank account grow faster. He is absolutely right. What is the point of "working yourself to the bone" if you only have bank statements to show for it? There is a trend in this thread to call any expenditure of money "bad with money" if it isn't 1. necessary to live or 2. something that the poster would do with their own money.

The only problem is spending beyond your means, not specifically dogs or shoes or new cars. If someone has positive cash flow you really have no right to call them bad with money for spending on magic cards or vintage cabbage patch kids or whatever.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

EugeneJ posted:

I worked in a pharmacy and we made $200 compounded IV's for 20-year old cats who were crippled and could no longer move.

Euthanasia is always the best option, but God wants kitty to still be here and blah blah blah :911:

EugeneJ posted:

You sure don't like God and blah blah blah.

But back onto the topic of bad with money,

EugeneJ posted:

Trying to decide what to do here. The only black hole in my finances is my car lease. I'm leasing a 2012 Honda Civic for $195/month and have a year left on the lease.

I paid $2000 down, so over the course of 3 years I will have paid $9,000 (not including insurance or maintenance) :psyduck:

So my options now are:

-Ride out the rest of the lease

-Take whatever the dealer's offering to turn the car in early (I think the car has 2-3k worth of equity compared with the current market value) and get something used

-Take whatever the dealer's offering to turn the car in early (I think the car has 2-3k worth of equity compared with the current market value) and get a cheaper leased car like a Smart Fortwo ($999 down and $99/month for 3 years = $4563 for a Smart Car over 3 years)

-Buy the car outright after the lease is over (the buyout price is $10,000)

What would you do, goons?

I live in an area that gets snow, so the Smart Car probably isn't wise. But god drat is it cheap.

EugeneJ posted:

I think I found a new option:

http://www.scion.com/promotions/purelease/#model=iQ

$3129 down - $1000 bonus cash - $750 college grad bonus = $1379 down

$1379 down + $99/month for 36 months = $4945 for a 3-year lease

And the iQ has good reviews compared to the Smart ForTwo.

EugeneJ posted:

My savings are only $13,000 or so, and I only make about 25k/year, so parting with all of the money I have to payoff the Civic would be a big risk.

I also have $27k in student loan debt that I'd like to pay down as soon as I have more money saved up. A lower monthly car payment would help me achieve that by letting me save more money that I can use towards the debt. Dumping $10k into a new car or financing the $10k with a loan isn't appealing to me.

gently caress loans, basically. The Civic's fine, but realizing you could have paid off your student loan debt by now if you were just smarter with car selection is a harsh pill to swallow.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

a worthy uhh posted:

I've never leased before, but "Take whatever the dealer's offering to turn the car in early" sounds wrong. He thinks the dealer will give him money to return his lease early? That can't be right.
I applaud him for saving $13k on a $25k salary, but drat he really needs to forget that new cars even exist, they aren't an option for him. He can get a solid used car for $5k. Saves on insurance too.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

a worthy uhh posted:

I just got a nice raise.

God doesn't exist, but my newfound money does :dance:

Nice try, though.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Magic Underwear posted:

I've never leased before, but "Take whatever the dealer's offering to turn the car in early" sounds wrong. He thinks the dealer will give him money to return his lease early? That can't be right.

I have obscenely low mileage and my car has higher Blue Book value than the end-of-lease buyout. There's equity there.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

EugeneJ posted:

I have obscenely low mileage and my car has higher Blue Book value than the end-of-lease buyout. There's equity there.

If you get to the end of the lease and pay the residual, yes. But on a quick search, the dealership is going to assess a penalty for breaking the lease early. You should probably look at the text of your contract before you go any further down that road.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Magic Underwear posted:

He said that life is not about who can make their bank account grow faster.
No, he said that the meaning of life was to experience what life has to offer, and said that eating out was worth it because it was enjoyable. Which can be said about any luxury. And is the rationale that drives people into massive debt for crap they don't need. I don't disagree with anything else in your post, btw, I just don't like people who throw around idea that being financially responsible means not enjoying life to the fullest. The false dichotomy, here, let me quote it for you:

"Is the meaning of life to make 100% financially sound decisions or is it to experience things that life has to offer?"

is total bullshit. I like to think I do both, and most people CAN do both, and the first leads to the second pretty handily, they're not in opposition. People can live within their means and have kids and pets and travel and all that stuff that makes life worth living, and having kids and pets and travel in fact is easier once you start making good financial decisions.

But here's a fun story to make up for this idiot debate:

I have a friend who quit work to be a stay at home mom, which, good for her. But she continues to spend as though they were on two incomes, complete with fancy baby toys, organic premium food for her and baby, including going to a health shop every day to get a smoothie or wheatgrass shot or whatever for $5 a pop, leasing a new SUV even though the husband already has a new SUV of his own. She asked me what I thought she could do to make their finances better.

"Get a job? There are lots of work from home things you can do, here are a few..."

"Oh, I can't, I'm going to be a stay at home mom for a few years."

"Then sell the car."

"BUT WHAT ABOUT IF I GET A JOB? HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO GET TO WORK?"

I stopped trying to give her advice after that.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

EugeneJ posted:

I just got a nice raise.

God doesn't exist, but my newfound money does :dance:

Nice try, though.

So you are just a jerk then? Cool man.

Go get the smart car everyone told you was s dumb idea.

Folly
May 26, 2010
My favorite bad with money stories are about people making decisions that are automatically contrary to the very goal of that decision. Stuff like "I'll get rich through MLM" or "I'm going to law school! "

The second best are those where people spend or waste a stupid amount of money on something of relatively known value, like the $45k Altima. Our maybe breaking into your IRA (and paying the penalty) to buy a big truck for your commute to an office job.

The least best, and most common, are those where people spend too much money on something relative to other aspects of their financial situation. Like spending more than you earn each month and just not knowing it? Or how about spending $2k on clothes each month while you live in your mom's basement? Or maybe, taking out loans to buy 3 Harleys when you only have 1 rear end?

The problem is that the last category crosses the line at different points for different people. And it usually requires a lot of additional information about the financial situation that makes the problem clear. Like a $10k vacation? Meh. The same trip when it's credit card financed and you're unemployed and broke? Bad! But what about when you're employed at $100k per year but still broke and you still debt finance it? It depends. We're going skip rope with that line throughout this thread. It's probably not worth fighting over.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

spwrozek posted:

Go get the smart car everyone told you was s dumb idea.

Waiting to see what the new models look like when they're unveiled in July.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Folly posted:

The problem is that the last category crosses the line at different points for different people

There's also the issue of personal values; I value going on a three week safari to Africa more than I value retiring what... Six months earlier? But then I really enjoy the industry I work in. Some people in this forum would probably consider spending ah... Might have been 10% of my yearly gross at the time, on a trip to be excessive in any circumstances; I don't feel that it was that bad. Didn't increase my net worth, for sure, but life's not a video game where the only thing that matters is your high score.

(Of course, I don't do that every year; that'd be being bad with money.)

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'd totally drive a smart car. If like, I didn't have to pay for it. i can't even tell you the last time I had more than one passenger in my car.

Probably why I try to drive the motorcycle everywhere I possibly can.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Smart cars are great for Car2Go but owning one? For $14,000? gently caress that noise. Those cars are horrible to drive. Any American who buys a Smart Fortwo is straight up bad with money.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Speaking of people who buy cars for dumb reasons -

http://sohochampagne.com/

Pay 299k for a 1 bedroom condo, get a 3 year least on a Mercedes. There are people buying this. Not enough, I guess, cause the last time I saw these condos advertised they were giving free hotel stays in Toronto.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

EugeneJ posted:

You are considering paying real money on a riding lawnmower that doesn't have a cutting deck while you have an existing good car that isn't garbage.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
A friend of mine decided that because he moved to a new rental he absolutely had to have a new lawnmower. He knew he'd have to maintain the grounds and said lawnmower would come in handy. Instead of cruising craigslist for an older Honda mower or fixing up a busted one, he bought a cheapo wal mart one on credit. I will be sad when it breaks in six months.

I'm fairly sure this is normal operating procedure for a lot of people. Which is very sad.

Lobsty
Aug 26, 2007

He's a rockin' lobster!

Inudeku posted:

To an extent. You have to value your time and freedom too

Or not value it, because you will be severely short of both after having a baby.

For content, my sister has been asked to be maid-of-honour for a friend, and she is pressuring all her bridal party to do all sorts of overly extravagant things paid out of their own pockets, such as matching dresses for the engagement party AND wedding, destination hen's weekend including stripper, alcohol, accommodation and travel costs of approximately $400 per person (plus a little extra to cover the bride's share), and numerous meals out at fine-dining establishments (eg., rehearsal dinners, meet & greets).

The bride covers none of these costs and gets upset with her friends if they can't attend all the events at their own cost. Needless to say, she is wasting lots of her parents' and own money on crazy expensive venues, music and catering and other wedding stuff. It's going the be easily ~$75k all up, quite possibly more.

Lobsty fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 25, 2014

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Lobsty posted:

Or not value it, because you will be severely short of both after having a baby.

For content, my sister has been asked to be maid-of-honour for a friend, and she is pressuring all her bridal party to do all sorts of overly extravagant things paid out of their own pockets, such as matching dresses for the engagement party AND wedding, destination hen's weekend including stripper, alcohol, accommodation and travel costs of approximately $400 per person (plus a little extra to cover the bride's share), and numerous meals out at fine-dining establishments (eg., rehearsal dinners, meet & greets).

The bride covers none of these costs and gets upset with her friends if they can't attend all the events at their own cost. Needless to say, she is wasting lots of her parents' and own money on crazy expensive venues, music and catering and other wedding stuff. It's going the be easily ~$75k all up, quite possibly more.
I have this hunch that people who spend ridiculous amounts of money on their wedding are subconsciously trying to compensate for a weak relationship with the spouse-to-be by covering it up with cash. But maybe I just want to believe that people who are bad with money are bad at everything else too.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 25, 2014

Butt Wizard
Nov 3, 2005

It was a pornography store. I was buying pornography.
Unless there's something unique or interesting about the car you're after, I'm not sure why anyone would buy anything other than a Corolla or whatever is the cheapest thing to run/most reliable thing you can get hold of in your area.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Butt Wizard posted:

Unless there's something unique or interesting about the car you're after, I'm not sure why anyone would buy anything other than a Corolla or whatever is the cheapest thing to run/most reliable thing you can get hold of in your area.

This is something a child would say. Like asking why anyone would eat anything but pizza, because pizza tastes so good.

Butt Wizard
Nov 3, 2005

Magic Underwear posted:

This is something a child would say. Like asking why anyone would eat anything but pizza, because pizza tastes so good.

Yea, under no circumstances could it be a considered opinion from experience or anything.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

EugeneJ posted:

Like every other smart car, they'll look like a lunch box made of ugly.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Magic Underwear posted:

Pizza makes you fat. Owning the minimum viable product car makes you lean and mean. This is a bad analogy, in that what is silly and unhealthy about the pizza statement does not transfer at all to the car statement.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

No Wave posted:

Pizza makes you fat. Owning the minimum viable product car makes you lean and mean. This is a bad analogy, in that what is silly and unhealthy about the pizza statement does not transfer at all to the car statement.

Ok....the point is that, like a child, he doesn't understand the wide variety of reasons that people buy cars, and because he doesn't understand it, implies that the only acceptable car is a Corolla.

Unless of course you are genuinely " not sure why anyone would buy anything other than a Corolla". If that's the case I can explain it for you in a later post. Just let me know.

Butt Wizard
Nov 3, 2005

Magic Underwear posted:

Unless of course you are genuinely " not sure why anyone would buy anything other than a Corolla". If that's the case I can explain it for you in a later post. Just let me know.

Yea, obviously I'm not talking about tradies or anyone else who needs space to carry poo poo around all day. But if you're purely using it to get from point A to B then I don't see anything wrong with buying the cheapest/most reliable thing you can find, unless either your Point A or your Point B is on the side of a mountain or something.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

People buy expensive cars because how else will you know I am amazing and definitely not poor and if I can buy this car, what other amazing things do I own? MONEYYYYY$$$$

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ehhhh. I think we can all agree that its important to be smart with your money and having the latest newest model doesn't' mean much.

But, I think it would be wrong to ignore the social power that your buying choices have. I think its a lot of the reason why people buy stuff in the first place. They over estimate how much social status it gives them to buy stuff, but its an over estimation, not made up out of thin air.

Is buying the newest car/clothing/electronic super important? No. But people DO notice, and depending on what you do and who you're around, these things can make a difference in your life in other ways.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah, no poo poo. My job involves a lot of convincing people that I know what I'm talking about more than they do and holy poo poo does a decent suit make a difference. It won't make up for not actually knowing dick, but it gets you those first few minutes of attention with people who wouldn't give you the time of day otherwise. People are weird like that, you can't change it, exploit it.

(Get your suits tailored, it's not that expensive, and learn how to tie a loving tie, it's not that hard.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

MC Hawking posted:

A friend of mine decided that because he moved to a new rental he absolutely had to have a new lawnmower. He knew he'd have to maintain the grounds and said lawnmower would come in handy. Instead of cruising craigslist for an older Honda mower or fixing up a busted one, he bought a cheapo wal mart one on credit. I will be sad when it breaks in six months.

I'm fairly sure this is normal operating procedure for a lot of people. Which is very sad.

As long as he got the one with the briggs and stratton motor and does basic maintenance, it'll probably last him a life time. The expensive lawn mowers mostly just have more things to break and parts that are harder to find.

• Locked thread