Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Powershift posted:

That's only 12, 2 of those are rocker swiches.

This, however.

16, with room for 4 more.

Get used to it, too, as this appears to be the new "standard chrysler button pod, stick it in everything!", and again, if you don't get all the features, you just get blanked out buttons.

I am a literal child and would put stickers on them that said "rockets" "guns" "missiles" etc. Or just reverse engineer the control logic (it's probably either resistive multiplexed, matrix encoded, or simply poo poo onto the CAN bus like everything else in a modern Chrysler) and bend it to my will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Sappo569 posted:

Touchscreen chat;

I had the opportunity to drive a Tesla around for a day or two

Impressions of the touch screen were good, it was super easy to use while driving combined with the voice commands and steering wheel controls.

The bad... everything is driven by the computer/MFD, they've already started to release software patches for things like the suspension being stuck in 'high' ride height and refusing to lower at all.

Combine the noiselessness (it's a word I swear) of the car, with the focus on the center console for all your information aside from the speedo, it' wont be long until a Tesla drive plows into a pile of people at a crosswalk or some such, while checking their facebook from the MFD

This is good stuff. The boyfriend and I will be test driving a Model S next weekend. He's not the type to check his phone/Facebook in the car at all, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for how the touchscreen performs.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I blame the 1984 300zx. It was the first car i saw that had steering wheel controls.

1986 upped the stakes.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 24, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Steering wheel controls are fine, but the buttons need to do something sensible which I haven't yet seen a manufacturer pull off.

Like Toyota gave me two buttons to adjust the temperature when there's an enormous dial 6 inches away that is easier to use. Or a button to set the air to recirculate which is a function I change maybe twice a year.

Yet they didn't think to put in a mute button or power button for the radio, which might have actually been useful. There's volume controls but who the gently caress wants to hold the button for 10 seconds as it slowly ticks down to zero?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I have a sneaking suspicion re: the touchscreens that at least on the low end / domestic market the push didn't come from the carmakers, it came from the ICE companies themselves. Notice how much of your early batch of touchscreen systems were cross-branded with, for example, Microsoft. I think the original intent was to create yet another closed ecosystem to eventually sell apps for, something Blackberry, Microsoft etc have been desperate but mostly unsuccessful to do ever since Apple and Google established theirs. The car manufacturers needed to offer integrated nav systems and I'm sure these options were offered at compelling prices to gain market share.

We've got enough people in AI that work in this general area of the industry that they could probably provide some background on the actual evolution.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I really want apple airplay in my car but in some manner that I still have tactile control over volume and changing the track as well as button / knob based hvac. That seems like the most reasonable mix to me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Not sure about the tracks, but if it's wired into your aux-in, you'd have volume control.

My preference is for an adaptor cable, so you are also charging your phone etc while controlling it. You can get adaptors for a lot of factory systems, which let the head unit treat it as a CD changer.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I only want an audio rig that just does Bluetooth, has adjustable volume on the faceplate, and a car charger and mount that supports Qi. Yet, this is impossible to find.

That's right. Just Bluetooth. No radio, no CD player, no tape deck, no aux in. It's all a waste of money to me.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Exit Strategy posted:

I only want an audio rig that just does Bluetooth, has adjustable volume on the faceplate, and a car charger and mount that supports Qi. Yet, this is impossible to find.

That's right. Just Bluetooth. No radio, no CD player, no tape deck, no aux in. It's all a waste of money to me.

Yup. USB port & Bluetooth are all I need. Someday I'll post the overly complex setup I have in my S4 because of Audi's stupid proprietary port.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

In relation to dealership talk, I took my car to a different Toyota dealership than I normally do for an alignment because it was close to work. I get a call the next day by some dweeb from the used car sales trying to buy my car. It's one thing to receive unsolicited emails and junk mail but to straight up get called on the contact # you left at the service department really pissed me off.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Back on the Tesla topic again, but they have a cloud service built into the car.

It allows you to play basically any song you could think of, with no licensing issues or whatever. Just ZAP there's the song

I think the one I drove came with 6 months or a year 'free' access, including the cars hotspot. Probably $20/month after that or something

:Steering wheel buttons:

I just counted mine, 18. But they are mostly all for a good reason.

Volume, track change, cruise control options, nav system, and bluetooth for handsfree.

They're also laid out quite well, and have never had them in the way or occidentally hit a button while driving.

By far the best I've seen is the Mercedes version, with the big clickable scroll wheel thingy. After a few hours getting used to it you can do anything you want without taking your eyes off the road except quick glances

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 24, 2014

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

If you're thinking of the same one I'm thinking of, it was this one for the Fisker Karma and not for the Tesla Model S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK8MqjagHu8

Yes, that's totally it. No wonder I couldn't find it with "Tesla" in the search string. What utter crap. Searching for it wrong though did tell me that just about everybody loves Tesla's implementation of it, even UI designers.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Slavvy posted:

It also makes driving most modern manual cars an excersise in agony and looking like you can't drive for poo poo. They are terrible and 90% of the time so unpleasant that I'd rather have an auto on DBW cars.

This is the most infuriating thing about newer Subarus, trying to get perfect downshifts or heel/toeing is impossible.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

Raluek posted:

If you're thinking of the same one I'm thinking of, it was this one for the Fisker Karma and not for the Tesla Model S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK8MqjagHu8

Our store was a Fisker dealership, and having driven a couple of them, I can vouch for the fact that the touchscreen was awful. non-responsive, I felt like I had to mash my fingers into it to do anything, and unintuitive.

Really nice car to drive otherwise, and kind of a shame that it went tits up. A theoretical Karma 2.0 could have been a really amazing car if they worked a bunch of the design problems out.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

AirRaid posted:

When I was buying my current car I test drove a Honda Accord with this steering wheel (or one very similar)

14 buttons on that. I think it was a 2008 model?

It's loving Yoshi

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

Altimeter fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 24, 2014

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

MetaJew posted:

Don't stop fighting. I hate touch screens. The touch sensitive buttons for the HVAC in the Chevy sonic were especially frustrating while driving.

:allears:

Funny you say this as my car is a Chevy Sonic that I posted about liking just a couple posts above yours. The HVAC is NOT on the touch screen on any model, there are 3 knobs below it and buttons for defrost and all that.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
So is there a thriving aftermarket for DBW remapping or is it one of those things that's so far buried in the ECU functions that you can't really mess with it?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Larrymer posted:

Funny you say this as my car is a Chevy Sonic that I posted about liking just a couple posts above yours. The HVAC is NOT on the touch screen on any model, there are 3 knobs below it and buttons for defrost and all that.

I just had a rental Sonic and the HVAC controls were by far the most intuitive thing about it. At least once I took the few seconds to realize the snowflake was A/C and not defrost. The trip computer confused me because it's apparently missing half the features you would expect from the most basic of trip computers (it does average MPG but not instantaneous, for example) and the MP3 playback at least on the stripper rental version was barely more than theoretical. And screw you if you don't like DRLs, I guess, you can turn them off but they just pop right back on next time.

Those were minor annoyances compared to the steering which seemed connected to the tires via several sets of rubber bands, but all in all I've had much worse rentals.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Panty Saluter posted:

So is there a thriving aftermarket for DBW remapping or is it one of those things that's so far buried in the ECU functions that you can't really mess with it?

I'm pretty sure that DBW mapping is very messwithable. It's what you're doing when you put a car into "sport" mode.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

http://www.sprintboostersales.com/index.htm

I in no way endorse or know anything about this product, other than that it exists.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
New for 2014 from GM: "Quality Control".

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

American foundation for the blind approved paintings
National association of the deaf approved music

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Why exclude corvettes? Surely they can afford to still throw in a $300 TV on a sale like that. How many people are buying 2014 corvettes anyway?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What qualifies them as "Quality Control" cars anyways? Is that like when a dude shits his pants during a test drive and it seeps into the seat?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Rhyno posted:

What qualifies them as "Quality Control" cars anyways? Is that like when a dude shits his pants during a test drive and it seeps into the seat?

The comments on Jalopnik seem to indicate that they are vehicles pulled off the line for QC checks, which include some driving around a track or some such, so they have a few miles on the clock already.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
That gas grill / TV offer is gimmicky as poo poo and that kind of stuff would make me avoid that dealership like the plague

Well I mean the huge lot full of Chevrolet products would've probably accomplished that already but I mean

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Frankly after paying $40K for a brand new Corvette (with no argument whatsoever, that was the advertised price) I struggle to imagine how much more there is to cut out of the car's purchase price.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Das Volk posted:

Frankly after paying $40K for a brand new Corvette (with no argument whatsoever, that was the advertised price) I struggle to imagine how much more there is to cut out of the car's purchase price.

They probably only have one at that price and it's already been sold, but come take a look at these babies over here, with just a few extra options!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

That gas grill / TV offer is gimmicky as poo poo and that kind of stuff would make me avoid that dealership like the plague

Well I mean the huge lot full of Chevrolet products would've probably accomplished that already but I mean

The wording on that ad would lead me to believe someone in their sales department is going to have a huge headache

Namely 'comes equipped with'

Some poo poo disturber is going to buy a car, and raise hell when it doesn't have a gas grill installed in the trunk ... "AS ADVERTISED!"

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Neptr posted:

I'm pretty sure that DBW mapping is very messwithable. It's what you're doing when you put a car into "sport" mode.

Well, mostly it's transmission shift mapping changes.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Sappo569 posted:

Some poo poo disturber is going to buy a car, and raise hell when it doesn't have a gas grill installed in the trunk ... "AS ADVERTISED!"
Clearly what they really mean is this:

For the record, I personally believe that belongs in the awesome thread

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Crotch Fruit posted:

Clearly what they really mean is this:

For the record, I personally believe that belongs in the awesome thread

Done this on more than one occasion during long road trips. Getting a bit hungry and you're somewhere in BFE Texas with no sign of civlization? Pop those leftover breakfast tacos on the manifold for 15 miles. Boom, a nice warm meal with notes of exhaust and engine coolant.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

I don't remember what car it was, but back when my parents were shopping for a car in the late 90s, the pre touchscreen era, there was one car that had 17 buttons on the steering wheel.

Was it a Poncho?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

angryhampster posted:

Was it a Poncho?

That picture is so GM it hurts

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

angryhampster posted:

Was it a Poncho?

My buddy had one of those for a few months, a '89 Grand Prix 2 door that had literally every single option available from the factory (including the HUD and digital-dash :whatup:). The first owner was apparently UVA's head basketball coach at the time, according to the paperwork that came with the car. I have never seen so many loving buttons and switches in a car in my life, it was like driving a space-ship.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Kill-9 posted:

Done this on more than one occasion during long road trips. Getting a bit hungry and you're somewhere in BFE Texas with no sign of civlization? Pop those leftover breakfast tacos on the manifold for 15 miles. Boom, a nice warm meal with notes of exhaust and engine coolant.
It's standard procedure during off-roading, too ... Mid to late morning you throw something wrapped in foil on your manifold, when you pull up to lunch everyone looks at you cross eyed because you just got there and your car smells more like food that whatever they're eating out of a plastic.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

mustard_tiger posted:

This is the most infuriating thing about newer Subarus, trying to get perfect downshifts or heel/toeing is impossible.

I've found it easier to make smooth downshifts in DBW subarus, especially the STi, but it could just be because of the closer, more evenly spaced ratios.

Also you can re-map the throttle on those really easily.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

angryhampster posted:

Was it a Poncho?

Balance and fade control? On the steering wheel?! :derp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

angryhampster posted:

Was it a Poncho?

You don't have PM's enabled - if you took that photo do you mind if I use it in an article I'm writing please?