Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Deadpool posted:

I loved Sleepy Hollow so much. Every episode was just great. It has exactly the perfect tone to make every wacky thing it throws into the show work.

I just hope season 2 getting an extended episode order doesn't gently caress with the pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't think five additional episodes is that big of a deal. By the end of the first season I was wishing it had a few more episodes anyway.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Holy gently caress at the Hannibal finale what the gently caress did I just watch

Red Wedding ain't got poo poo on that

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hannibal season 2 finale: then everybody died, except Hannibal who gets away scott free. That's a hell of a way to end a season.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

Hannibal season 2 finale: then everybody died, except Hannibal who gets away scott free. That's a hell of a way to end a season.

I would be ok with the show if it just ended like that period. Would be a nice change of pace.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's an interview up with Fuller on AV Club where he jokes about how much of a depressing series finale this would have been.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I'm sure Fuller has his share of fanboys/fangirls but seriously if he doesn't I'd like to stake a claim in being one

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

zoux posted:

I did just watch the Bates Motel season s2 finale, which was excellent. Bates Motel is a good show you guys!

I have not seen any of season two, but ehhhh. I watched the first season and the most I could say of Bates Motel is that it's not nearly as bad as you would expect it to be.

Maybe its because it was introduced to me in the same context of Hannibal that my expectations were raised higher than appropriate, or maybe its because I've seen Psycho 4 which did similar things and sometimes better, but I constantly struggled with the question of why I kept watching it.

But, depending on your own viewing habits, take my recommendation with a grain of salt. Unlike a lot of people here that keep up with dozens of shows, I pretty much only follow shows I'd call top tier (Boardwalk Empire, Mad Men, Hannibal, True Detective etc) or below it but interesting enough to keep my attention (Game of Thrones, House of Cards, American Horror Story etc). With all the new stuff that gets talked up a lot I give it a few episodes (if not a whole season when possible) and move on. So I guess you could say I'm pretty picky about what shows I keep up with.

Maybe the second season of Bates does push it into that second category for me, but it'd probably have to be one hell of a season.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I just want to make sure I got this all straight:

During the revolutionary war, former British officer turned American spy, Ichabod crane, has been given a secret mission by general Washington to kill a mercenary with a bow on his hand

The mercenary with a bow on his hand is actually one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse, specifically Death, summoned by the redcoats to win the war

Ichabod has to kill him cause if the redcoats win then the end of days happens

He beheads Death, making the headless horseman, and Ichabod and Death fall and their blood mingles and they're bound by blood so their dates are intertwined or whatever

Ichabod's wife, who is a witch in a secret coven of good guy witches finds this so has to put Ichabod to sleep and bury him so they can entomb the headless horseman

At some point later on she, herself, is imprisoned in a dream world by the demon who wants to summon the four horsemen of the apocalypse

Ichabod wakes up in 2013 because someone revived the headless horseman for whatever reason, then has to find and keep the horseman's skull away from him because if he finds his skull then the rest of the apocalypse riders can be summoned

Also priests can use chain magic

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Hannibal.

I was not prepared.

I thought I was.

(This after shotgunning the last 3 episodes of Shameless. I'm going to curl into a fetal ball now, maybe I'll be functional in a few days)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I have not seen any of season two, but ehhhh. I watched the first season and the most I could say of Bates Motel is that it's not nearly as bad as you would expect it to be.

Maybe its because it was introduced to me in the same context of Hannibal that my expectations were raised higher than appropriate, or maybe its because I've seen Psycho 4 which did similar things and sometimes better, but I constantly struggled with the question of why I kept watching it.

But, depending on your own viewing habits, take my recommendation with a grain of salt. Unlike a lot of people here that keep up with dozens of shows, I pretty much only follow shows I'd call top tier (Boardwalk Empire, Mad Men, Hannibal, True Detective etc) or below it but interesting enough to keep my attention (Game of Thrones, House of Cards, American Horror Story etc). With all the new stuff that gets talked up a lot I give it a few episodes (if not a whole season when possible) and move on. So I guess you could say I'm pretty picky about what shows I keep up with.

Maybe the second season of Bates does push it into that second category for me, but it'd probably have to be one hell of a season.

Season 2 is quite a bit better.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

During the revolutionary war, former British officer turned American spy, Ichabod crane, has been given a secret mission by general Washington to kill a mercenary with a bow on his hand

The mercenary with a bow on his hand is actually one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse, specifically Death, summoned by the redcoats to win the war

He beheads Death, making the headless horseman, and Ichabod and Death fall and their blood mingles and they're bound by blood so their dates are intertwined or whatever

Ichabod's wife, who is a witch in a secret coven of good guy witches finds this so has to put Ichabod to sleep and bury him so they can entomb the headless horseman

At some point later on she, herself, is imprisoned in a dream world by the demon who wants to summon the four horsemen of the apocalypse

Ichabod wakes up in 2013 because someone revived the headless horseman for whatever reason, then has to find and keep the horseman's skull away from him because if he finds his skull then the rest of the apocalypse riders can be summoned

Yes, that sums it up nicely.

Then it gets really crazy. :kiddo:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like Hannibal and The Americans. Hey TV is pretty cool right now.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

It gets even crazier, trust us.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

I binged review today

That was...that was p great

everyone should do this it's on Hulu and probably other things. Andy Daly is a genius and this is one of the best comedy shows of the last few years (and considering how good comedy is right now that is really saying a lot). At least watch the first 3 episodes.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
A $100 million dollar Netflix original series based on Queen Elizabeth II? Sure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27539739

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Echoing the sheer "Jesus Christ"ness of that Hannibal finale. I tried catching up on a bunch of Parks and Rec episodes to cheer myself up but still feel like I've been punched in the gut.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I thought I'd be able to watch review, but I don't have Hulu Plus, and its not on demand at all.

I can't watch Review. Or PoI.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Fooz posted:

I thought I'd be able to watch review, but I don't have Hulu Plus, and its not on demand at all.

I can't watch Review. Or PoI.

It looks like CC are being weird are pushing their full episodes to only the CC App. If you have a smartphone/tablet you should be able to watch it on that, inconvenient I know but better than nothing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I thought I read a few dozen pages back that they put all of Review up on Youtube. I could be mistaken.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Sleepy Hollow is so wonderfully audacious. But it also works because it has a great character dynamic at its center. Puts me in mind of the movie Time After Time.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Maxwell Lord posted:

Sleepy Hollow is so wonderfully audacious. But it also works because it has a great character dynamic at its center. Puts me in mind of the movie Time After Time.

That's it! Thank you thank you thank you. I was going nuts trying to figure out what movie it reminded me of.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

http://www.13hourbrisket.com/#/

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh ok, so Abby and Ichabod are dream warriors now huh

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sober posted:

Red Wedding ain't got poo poo on that

Yeah, no. The Red Wedding was impactful because it was a hopeless situation. The Hannibal finale is just a bunch of people too stupid to fire a gun right.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raditts posted:

I thought I read a few dozen pages back that they put all of Review up on Youtube. I could be mistaken.

They did but who knows if its still up.

Edit: Just looked and yeah, they're down.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 24, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Steven DeKnight will be the new showrunner on Daredevil. I wonder how many Spartacus alums he'll snatch away from other shows.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Deadpool posted:

Steven DeKnight will be the new showrunner on Daredevil. I wonder how many Spartacus alums he'll snatch away from other shows.

Whatever DC doesn't steal first for Arrow, I guess.

radlum
May 13, 2013
That's good right? I mean, I never saw Spartacus, but all I've seen about it was that its audience really liked it, so maybe it's better to give the show to someone who knows how to keep a show going

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kingpin right here

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Kingpin right here

That's clearly Johnny Storm.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

radlum posted:

That's good right? I mean, I never saw Spartacus, but all I've seen about it was that its audience really liked it, so maybe it's better to give the show to someone who knows how to keep a show going

Spartacus is a very particular acquired taste, but those that liked it loved it. It's not something for everyone though. It's completely over the top ridiculous and gloriously so.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I was not expecting to like Sleepy Hollow as much as I did. It fully commits to the premise and goes for broke almost right away. By the end of Season 1 I was genuinely impressed.

Ah. 24, what to make of you. I forgot how BAD the writing can be. It's strange because I think the stuff with the President and his condition are generally handled well, maybe it's because of William Devane, but holy poo poo they love telling you that Kate HAS SOMETHING TO PROVE. I think that gets said at least 3 times. There's so much telling instead of showing, it's like the first rule of writing.

Other than that I'm perplexed at the idea of getting Brits to play Americans and then Americans playing Brits or Australians playing Americans. Why is Michael Wincott English? Who knows.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, no. The Red Wedding was impactful because it was a hopeless situation. The Hannibal finale is just a bunch of people too stupid to fire a gun right.

Holy poo poo this bothered me too, in fact the entire way that scene played out unfortunately seemed less like Hannibal out smarting FBI agents and more like Hannibal out smarting a bunch of mentally challenged children.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DrVenkman posted:

I was not expecting to like Sleepy Hollow as much as I did. It fully commits to the premise and goes for broke almost right away. By the end of Season 1 I was genuinely impressed.

Ah. 24, what to make of you. I forgot how BAD the writing can be. It's strange because I think the stuff with the President and his condition are generally handled well, maybe it's because of William Devane, but holy poo poo they love telling you that Kate HAS SOMETHING TO PROVE. I think that gets said at least 3 times. There's so much telling instead of showing, it's like the first rule of writing.

Other than that I'm perplexed at the idea of getting Brits to play Americans and then Americans playing Brits or Australians playing Americans. Why is Michael Wincott English? Who knows.

He does the British accent in everything else I've seen him in. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and Count of Monte Cristo.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh the boston tea party was, in fact, a ruse to steal some ancient occult weapon from the British? Well, all right

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Oh the boston tea party was, in fact, a ruse to steal some ancient occult weapon from the British? Well, all right

Great show, yes?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Deadpool posted:

Is he still doing that drugdealer crime show for Starz?

PriorMarcus posted:

Holy poo poo this bothered me too, in fact the entire way that scene played out unfortunately seemed less like Hannibal out smarting FBI agents and more like Hannibal out smarting a bunch of mentally challenged children.

I didn't like the finale either.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

hcreight posted:

Great show, yes?

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DrVenkman posted:

I actually think the current season of 24, 12, is pretty good so far, in spite of such things as Chloe being an angsty 15 year old goth for some reason. 24 always had huge pacing problems between the first and second halfs, so a half season seems to be doing well for them.

• Locked thread