Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

People are telling me that Troops confer the Objective Secured rule to the dedicated transport that they're riding in. Has anyone found this in the rulebook and can give me a page number? I've looked under transports, objective secured, and scoring objectives and see it nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

ijyt posted:

I'd love to hear the reasoning for some of the changes in 7th.

Incompetence?

Serious answer, the guy who said they're just throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks would be the other likely answer

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

DO IT TO IT posted:

People are telling me that Troops confer the Objective Secured rule to the dedicated transport that they're riding in. Has anyone found this in the rulebook and can give me a page number? I've looked under transports, objective secured, and scoring objectives and see it nowhere.

'All Troops units from this Detachment have the Objective Secured special rule' in conjunction with the fact that a Troops choice's DT is considered a Troop.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

DO IT TO IT posted:

I think it's more that transports have the same type as the unit they are bought for, so a dedicated Rhino will be a troop unit in its own right.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ijyt posted:

Honestly so much poo poo just seems totally arbitrary. Not even bad just... why?

Did the game need a psychic phase? Does it fix something?

Why is cover 5+ now? Was cover too good, despite all the 'ignores cover' being thrown around?

Random stuff.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Lungboy posted:

I think it's more that transports have the same type as the unit they are bought for, so a dedicated Rhino will be a troop unit in its own right.

Ahh poo poo right, I hadn't even realized this.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

ijyt posted:

Because, "gently caress you." That's why.

Realpost, the cynical side of me thinks that most of these changes are just meeting a corporate mandated minimum quota of changes to justify the new edition. Psychic phase aside, there doesn't seem to be anything groundbreaking or inspired here (and the psychic phase really does feel like a poor imitation of Fantasy's magic.)

I deal with underclassmen college students a lot, and this really does feel like finding a wikipedia copy/paste in a paper with a bunch of random changes made in order to make it look like original work.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Tadhg posted:

Because, "gently caress you." That's why.

Realpost, the cynical side of me thinks that most of these changes are just meeting a corporate mandated minimum quota of changes to justify the new edition. Psychic phase aside, there doesn't seem to be anything groundbreaking or inspired here (and the psychic phase really does feel like a poor imitation of Fantasy's magic.)

I deal with underclassmen college students a lot, and this really does feel like finding a wikipedia copy/paste in a paper with a bunch of random changes made in order to make it look like original work.

One of my professors said to go to Wikipedia first. :v:

Some of the rules I didn't understand, like template weapons scattering on to LOS blocked units not wounding, until a friend explained that the LOS blocker would intercept the shot (which made me feel pretty dumb).

Vector strike nerf I kind of understand, but I feel that the smash reduction is just a little bit rude to monstrous creatures.

E:

Psychic phase I get, as it'll hopefully reduce power spam, but my Tau's best method of denying the witch remains to shoot the witch deas first.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

ijyt posted:

Because :20bux:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The smash attack reduction is directly a result of the flying circus daemon prince lists. Same for Swooping MC's being unable to charge on the turn they land.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

The smash attack reduction is directly a result of the flying circus daemon prince lists. Same for Swooping MC's being unable to charge on the turn they land.

Yeah the swooping is a fine change in my opinion, and I guess walkers might get some more use maybe?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I have a feeling the jink changes were a response to how all around awesome scatter serpents were.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

PeterWeller posted:

I have a feeling the jink changes were a response to how all around awesome scatter serpents were.

There's a couple of changes like that, I think. ICs not being able to join MCs seems to be there to stop O'Vesastar shenanigans, for instance.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

PeterWeller posted:

*hides behind part of a ruin, has a holo-field, has 3+ cover*

So much for that.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

ijyt posted:

Imperium forces summoning demons is still so dumb. Narrative my rear end.

Yeah, it's pretty dumb.

Lungboy posted:

Wait, so if I get a Transport for my Troops, and you confer special rules to troops, does that go to reason my rhinos can get tank hunters etc if my troops have that? If not this, how about global rules "all troops get X special rule?"

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 24, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Actually, if I remember correctly in Rogue Trader you could in fact summon Daemons with normal Psykers. I think that was the case so I think it's a really odd throwback.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

Actually, if I remember correctly in Rogue Trader you could in fact summon Daemons with normal Psykers. I think that was the case so I think it's a really odd throwback.

Going back to Rogue Trader is the best idea obviously. A sneak preview of an upcoming special Inquisition character:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh, so Bryan Ansell wrote the rules?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Going back to Rogue Trader is the best idea obviously. A sneak preview of an upcoming special Inquisition character:

My point EXACTLY.

Rogue Trader was awesome, except the rules were complete and utter poo poo.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

Oh, so Bryan Ansell wrote the rules?

The funny thing is the mullet and vest. The less funny is that that army would probably be about 500 points in WHFB by now. Number of models in an 'average' game has multiplied in both 40k and Fantasy.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Genghis Cohen posted:

The funny thing is the mullet and vest. The less funny is that that army would probably be about 500 points in WHFB by now. Number of models in an 'average' game has multiplied in both 40k and Fantasy.

In a few years when Warhammer 40,000 13th Edition drops everyone will be playing Apocalypse like it aint no thang.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ChrisAsmadi posted:

ICs not being able to join MCs

So I can't stick Shadowsun into a unit with a Riptide to confer Stealth and Shrouded?

e: Also, is nightfight really just "everyone has stealth!"?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I like how they have mighty and avenging twice each to make sure everyone notes the adjectives correctly. Sort of the spiritual ancestor to today's Blood Wolf Fists :v:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

So much for take aim

So much for what? It's an amazing ability to use on, for instance, the flavor of the year giant Conscript blobs, especially since it means half of what they would already hit anyway becomes a Precision Shot. If you played Take Aim to mean that all wounds are allocated as you please you, just ... well, as bad as when I misread the Force rule last week! :shepface:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It does mean that The Emperor's Benediction is completely useless, however, as the only things that can take it can already allocate on a 6-unless, of course, they changed if Characters automatically get Precision Shot.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

One of the buffs that people seem to miss is that with Dark Eldar and Eldar, battle brothers can now ride in each others transports. So Banshees and Scorpions got a nice boost. You have to take the Transport for something else but who cares, Dark Eldar are cheap.

So I guess like Banshees are alright as they can ride in a assault vehicle now.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It does mean that The Emperor's Benediction is completely useless, however, as the only things that can take it can already allocate on a 6-unless, of course, they changed if Characters automatically get Precision Shot.

Characters and Shooting: Characters shoot just like ordinary models of their type.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Characters and Shooting: Characters shoot just like ordinary models of their type.

And so they did! Well, it's not like I ever remembered to invoke Precision Shots anyway.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

So can someone explain to me what Forgeworld is? It sounds like its a semi-independent branch of Games Workshop catering to people who find the game too straightforward and inexpensive, but that literally doesn't make any sense to me.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It does mean that The Emperor's Benediction is completely useless, however

Fine example of a properly forged narrative, IMO :devil:

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Well, I ended up buying this dumb book while I was out to lunch. I've already planned to play a few 7th edition games tonight and one tomorrow, so I figured I should probably read some of the rules ahead of time.

If nothing else, this rules book is well organized.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Aren't DE transports open-topped? Can you cast fortune on units in vehicles?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

drgnvale posted:

Well, I ended up buying this dumb book while I was out to lunch. I've already planned to play a few 7th edition games tonight and one tomorrow, so I figured I should probably read some of the rules ahead of time.

If nothing else, this rules book is well organized.

I don't have it yet but everything I've read leads me to believe that it's not a bad edition, it's just too iterative to demand a new book.

The book itself is more clearly worded, cleans up some nagging inconsistencies, nerfs a few abusive combinations, and introduces the psychic phase (jury is out) and tactical objectives (everyone seems to love).

It *could* be worse.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

P-Mack posted:

So can someone explain to me what Forgeworld is? It sounds like its a semi-independent branch of Games Workshop catering to people who find the game too straightforward and inexpensive, but that literally doesn't make any sense to me.

You're kinda correct. Forgeworld make premium resin models for fantasy and 40k and models and rules for the Horus Heresy game (often referred to as 30k) they also make supplements for 40k and Fantasy with rules for their models.

Basically, if you want to put sculpted shoulder pads on your dudes or doors on your rhinos, with your chapter logo on them, You'd buy them from forgeworld. Or if you wanted a squad to be wearing MKIII power armour. Or you wanted a thunder hawk or squiggoth.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

P-Mack posted:

Some of us are masochists who shovel money into huge models in return for receiving increasingly bad rules for them every few years.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Honestly, I'm really liking what I see now that I have the book. I mean I'm a little disappointed in a few changes that should have been made but overall it just seems like it's a cleaned up 6th edition which is a good and a bad thing, because I mean they could have made this an expansion.

Favorite new change, Barrage totally works differently now and you just add up how many hits you got with all of them then treat the hits as if their coming from the first initial blast instead of each individual blast. SO much cleaner. Makes dealing with multiple barrages waaaay less of a headache.

Now to just wait for their FAQ to see what all that fixes. I assume it's going to be massive. Or not at all.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 24, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Tried our first 6.5/7th edition game...overall I liked it. I used an unbound Nids force with a couple of CSM models I had handy:

Flyrant with 2x T-L Devourer with brainleeches
Walking Hive Tyrant with the same weapons
2 Tervigons with Termigaunts
Tyrannofex
2x Venomthropes
3x Biovores
Mawloc

plus Heldrake with Baleflamer and Forgefiend with 3 Ectoplasma cannons

I just grabbed a bunch of models I had handy and didn't really try to optimize anything.

Our DA player wanted to use his Shadowsword I just did for him (I posted it earlier), so he made that his Warlord and his Lord of War and used a bunch of Deathwing:

Belial + 5 Deathwing
Librarian + 8 or so Deathwing
5 Deathwing
Shadowsword (Warlord)

Tyranid deployment (Mawloc and Heldrake in reserve)

Dark Angel deployment (Belial and his guard in reserve)

Objective cards were interesting - you'll want a set per player if you get them

We only did a couple of turns because of time constraints, but overall I enjoyed the game! It was interesting to do an Unbound 1849 pt list against a Battle Forged list. Unbound was cool, and it seems to work OK against a normal FOC list.

Best part was the randomness of the Objectives – you can’t discard the ones you can never achieve, but you get new ones when you’ve accomplished any of the objective cards you’ve got. So your objectives can change from turn to turn.

Psyker phase was interesting – Tyranids are going to dominate with plenty of dice to counter attacks and blessings, or for their own attacks, but they’re psyker-heavy after all. I think it goes quickly enough but our DA player will have to get used to it.

It'd be nice if more was changed for the edition (assaults, etc., ad nauseum) but what they've changed and what I've seen in-game looks alright so far.

e: we treated the cover areas as 5+ cover, my ruined building as 4+ cover, the cathedral windows as difficult terrain and 4+ cover...basically the same as how we used them in 6th.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Hollismason posted:

One of the buffs that people seem to miss is that with Dark Eldar and Eldar, battle brothers can now ride in each others transports. So Banshees and Scorpions got a nice boost. You have to take the Transport for something else but who cares, Dark Eldar are cheap.

I think I'll prefer to grab some Guardians to lurk back home near an objective and let some Trueborn ride arund in their Wave Serpent. All n all, Scorpions are still better than banshees on most situations due to having grenades and an Exarch that can hit at S7 Ap2 at initiative, plus better armor.

Sephyr fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 25, 2014

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

krushgroove posted:

Tried our first 6.5/7th edition game...overall I liked it. I used an unbound Nids force with a couple of CSM models I had handy:

Posts like this overall reassure me about 7th, but my main issue with it is still the price. Guess I'll be waiting for the minibook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Genghis Cohen posted:

What? That's easily 1500 points, even if you assume one of the blocks are marauders (and are 6x3), and the knights are marauder horsemen. The only illegal thing in the list is you need a minimum of three ogres/trolls in a unit.

US PLAYERS are the ones that insist on huge point games. 1500 works fine. It's just like fantasy when every butt-hurt daemon player had to up the points from 2000 to 2400 to fit in the most broken mage in the game.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 25, 2014

• Locked thread