Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Something I've realized I'm a sucker for at all times is "handsome, eloquent, very powerful sociopath calmly monologues about their weird scary philosophy". There's no shortage of ankles that feature these, of course, but who are some all-time greats that I need to get in on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Johan from Monster, for starters.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Jonny Angel posted:

Something I've realized I'm a sucker for at all times is "handsome, eloquent, very powerful sociopath calmly monologues about their weird scary philosophy". There's no shortage of ankles that feature these, of course, but who are some all-time greats that I need to get in on?

Fate/Zero or Psycho-Pass both work pretty well for that.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Johan and Gilgamesh I'm already familiar with, but from that post and the talk about it on the last page, it sounds like I need to watch some Psycho Pass!

vvv You'll never believe these 7 epic autocorrect fails!

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 24, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Jonny Angel posted:

I know mine do, it gets old after a while.
:rimshot:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I've posted here before, most of you know me. I have a problem. I've mostly run into the best anime has to offer and according to the few friends I have who watch this poo poo I'm pretty picky. I'm looking for more great stuff but it's not easy.

Even typing a list of things I've seen may not be the best route here. Let's just say I've watched at least a few of the top 10 of every year since ADTRW started doing the lists and the wiki got rolling.

I like real robot mecha, good drama, psychotic characters, general insanity, and I love cheesy poo poo as long as it's got some sort of base in at least a skewed reality (for example I loved TTGL but could not watch FLCL)

I know this is vague and I know it's dumb, but I just want more good poo poo to watch and my tastes seem to be too broad to ask for any certain thing, I just want something GOOD.

I'll answer any questions that can help me narrow things down, because I think that would really help.

e: I've seen all the classic good stuff, like Cowboy Bebop and Lain and Trigun and GitS and Steins'Gate and Tiger & Bunny and Death Note and Code Geass and blah blah blah. If it's really good and over 10 years old I've probably seen it. I've watched Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I don't know if anything will ever be that good but where do we go from here?

e2: To help a little as far as taste goes, my 3 favorite animes are Chihayafuru, Code Geass and Trigun. Macross Frontier is probably the closest 4th. I don't even know if that helps at all, though.

e3: VVV drat this is difficult. Seen Utena, and yes it was good.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 24, 2014

coathat
May 21, 2007

Watch Utena as it is the best anime.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Have you watched House of Five Leaves?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Everything Burrito posted:

Never heard of it, looking it up now.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
You mentioned 13 shows in your post, most of which are very popular and aired on TV, that doesn't come close to scratching the surface of "all the classic good stuff". If there's one thing I've gotten from watching Japanese cartoons in the last 10 years, it's that there's always plenty of great stuff out there, and you're never going to run out of things to watch.

If you haven't checked out the shows in the wiki's new page, check them out. Most of the shows from the Simulwatch threads (archives are down, so you can't read the threads) have been excellent.

Most people are going to just list out their favorite/what they think is the 'best'. Almost everything I'd universally recommend is on those two pages.

edit: I'd also recommend skimming this thread, and if you see a show mentioned two or three times (and not from the same poster), take a look at it.

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 24, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

You mentioned Macross Frontier, have you delved into any other Macross stuff? Besides Macross Zero it's all worth watching.

And heck if you have, have you given Votoms a shot?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Keyboard Kid posted:

You mentioned 13 shows in your post, most of which are very popular and aired on TV, that doesn't come close to scratching the surface of "all the classic good stuff". If there's one thing I've gotten from watching Japanese cartoons in the last 10 years, it's that there's always plenty of great stuff out there, and you're never going to run out of things to watch.

If you haven't checked out the shows in the wiki's new page, check them out. Most of the shows from the Simulwatch threads (archives are down, so you can't read the threads) have been excellent.

Most people are going to just list out their favorite/what they think is the 'best'. Almost everything I'd universally recommend is on those two pages.

That's the problem. I've been here forever and I've watched almost all of that. I only listed the 13 shows that first came to mind. I've read and even contributed to the wiki and it found me a lot of shows that I really enjoyed, but I'm running out. I will admit my one huge problem is that I just don't read manga and just won't do it. The only exceptions I've ever made are for Chihayafuru and Berserk because I just have to loving know how those stories go. Otherwise I want to see anime.

That's why I don't know exactly where to go from here. I'm sort of hoping there is something new that I haven't heard of (I am about to watch the first episode of House of Five Leaves since Burrito recommended it) or something I should know about that I just don't... or just missed.

Like I said, this is difficult. I've watched a whole lot and I am kinda just fishing for anything great that I've not seen at this point.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Srice posted:

You mentioned Macross Frontier, have you delved into any other Macross stuff? Besides Macross Zero it's all worth watching.

And heck if you have, have you given Votoms a shot?

I liked Votoms but I haven't gone much into the Macross library aside from Frontier because I was sternly warned away from it. Was that a mistake?

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Jowj posted:

Hey so, I've enjoying my halfway summer vacation and watching netflix. Stumbled across Attack on Titan! which OWNS, finished it and read the manga which ALSO OWNS and I'm sorta feeling an anime itch, but I've got some questions:

1) How do I know what series to watch in sub vs dub? The only anime stuff i've watched dubbed are like Pokemon and Yugioh, back when they aired on saturday mornings. The subbed stuff is enjoyable to me in the series I've watched so far, which are mostly stuff like:
-black lagoon
-Cowboy Bebop
-AoT
-5 CM per second
-FMA/FMAB
-Beserk
-most of the miyazaki stuff, although i've seen these dubbed too and they were fine, but they all had Big Name Actors which I assume aren't present in other dubs.

Since so far I've stuck with mostly actiony stuff (minus 5CM per second) I'm worried that there's like depth of expression i'm not getting that makes comedic/more serious shows less impactful if i were to watch them subbed or whatever. Any advice on this kinda thing?

2) Stuff I want to watch, based on some reading in this thread
-LGH
-Baccano
-Jojo's Bizzare adventure

Any other recommendations? I've heard good things about Sword Art Online but the premise has scared me off a bit. I like the action type stuff I've posted, but i'm not opposed to branching out at all, and that might be fun :3

3) I'd like a separate recommendations for watching Anime with other people who aren't particularly into anime. My gf and roommates have seen stuff like miyazaki films and the odd series here or there when they were younger (Bebop mostly, that show is loving everywhere), but haven't really dipped their toe into other stuff. I'd like for this to be lighter and more fun for groups to enjoy than something like Berserk which i'm sure would convince them to "never watch this poo poo again".

Thanks y'all.

You wanna watch Tiger & Bunny for sure. I think it's still available on hulu? Aging super hero in a world where people develop powers and get sponsored by corporations gets paired with a younger batman archetype by his sponsors to try and reinvigorate their "product" basically. Really good character interactions and world-building, and just a real fun show all around it progresses. And if anything about Sword Art Online interests you, as in the 'trapped in a video game' concept, give Log Horizon a shot since it's a much more enjoyable take on the concept.

Chalupa Picada fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 24, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fenrir posted:

I liked Votoms but I haven't gone much into the Macross library aside from Frontier because I was sternly warned away from it. Was that a mistake?

Whoever warned you is a clown, and you should watch Macross Plus ASAP. It's the best Macross thing out there and it's only 4 episodes long so you can easily get through it in an afternoon! Heck, the Cowboy Bebop director was one of the directors on it, and it has a Yoko Kanno soundtrack to boot.

The original is also very much worth watching. The animation is quite inconsistent from episode to episode but I feel like the writing still holds up quite well.

Macross II is okay. Not good, not bad, just kinda there.

Macross 7 is really strange but in a fun way. You'll know pretty fast if it's up your alley or not after a few episodes.

Also the Frontier movies are neat if you've only seen the TV series. It's almost entirely new content.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Srice posted:

Whoever warned you is a clown, and you should watch Macross Plus ASAP. It's the best Macross thing out there and it's only 4 episodes long so you can easily get through it in an afternoon! Heck, the Cowboy Bebop director was one of the directors on it, and it has a Yoko Kanno soundtrack to boot.

The original is also very much worth watching. The animation is quite inconsistent from episode to episode but I feel like the writing still holds up quite well.

Macross II is okay. Not good, not bad, just kinda there.

Macross 7 is really strange but in a fun way. You'll know pretty fast if it's up your alley or not after a few episodes.

Also the Frontier movies are neat if you've only seen the TV series. It's almost entirely new content.

This is exactly what I was looking for with that post, thank you. I'll start up on Macross Plus and go from there :)
Although "better than Macross Frontier" is a huge huge standard and I might sass you later about that.

Keep in mind I'm a huge pussy and the "emo" scenes in Frontier drat near made me cry, so yeah. There you go.

e: But I'm still looking for any other solid recommendations, so hit me with all you have, ADTRW.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 24, 2014

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Fenrir posted:

That's the problem. I've been here forever and I've watched almost all of that. I only listed the 13 shows that first came to mind. I've read and even contributed to the wiki and it found me a lot of shows that I really enjoyed, but I'm running out. I will admit my one huge problem is that I just don't read manga and just won't do it. The only exceptions I've ever made are for Chihayafuru and Berserk because I just have to loving know how those stories go. Otherwise I want to see anime.

That's why I don't know exactly where to go from here. I'm sort of hoping there is something new that I haven't heard of (I am about to watch the first episode of House of Five Leaves since Burrito recommended it) or something I should know about that I just don't... or just missed.

Like I said, this is difficult. I've watched a whole lot and I am kinda just fishing for anything great that I've not seen at this point.

It is difficult to find new shows, since most online anime communities are garbage, and ratings mean absolutely nothing on them. With not much to go on, 'good' is just going to get you shotgun answers. A lot of the Manga suggestions on the New page have great anime adaptations -- Planetes, Kaiji, FMA to name a few.

Have you ever considered making a MyAnimeList or something similar? (Don't bother with the site's rankings / social stuff.) You could give ratings and add comments (use the Tags field), and I've found it very helpful in sharing recommendations with friends.

edit: Speaking of myanimelist, there's an ADTRW group on there, so you could look at individual lists and sort by score to see what people think is good?

(beaten, of course) I'm not really into Macross, but I'd recommend Macross Plus since it's short, self-contained, and rather good.

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 24, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Keyboard Kid posted:

It is difficult to find new shows, since most online anime communities are garbage, and ratings mean absolutely nothing on them. With not much to go on, 'good' is just going to get you shotgun answers. A lot of the Manga suggestions on the New page have great anime adaptations -- Planetes, Kaiji, FMA to name a few.

Have you ever considered making a MyAnimeList or something similar? (Don't bother with the site's rankings / social stuff.) You could give ratings and add comments (use the Tags field), and I've found it very helpful in sharing recommendations with friends.

(edit: beaten, of course) I'm not really into Macross, but I'd recommend Macross Plus since it's short, self-contained, and rather good.

Hmm, I have a myanimelist but at this point it's probably several years out of date, I guess I need to update that poo poo.. Also yeah I've seen Planetes, FMA/Brotherhood, etc. Good stuff.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Seirei No Moribito is a really drat good series that I don't see get enough praise, nothing groundbreaking but everything about it is very well executed, I found it extremely watchable and badass female leads are always cool.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fenrir posted:

I've posted here before, most of you know me. I have a problem. I've mostly run into the best anime has to offer and according to the few friends I have who watch this poo poo I'm pretty picky. I'm looking for more great stuff but it's not easy.
If you liked TTGL you should watch its inspiration and the originator of Gainax, Gunbuster. Then watch Diebuster at some point after Gunbuster.

Also I want to see someone like you who only seems to want actioney shows to watch this one and report back, it's only 11 episodes long: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3540263&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=92#post430086082 :allears:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Already seen Gunbuster, Diebuster and Usagi Drop. Great stuff :)

Like I said, making a list of everything I've seen would just be too much. Great recommendation though. I'd make the same post to anyone else.

RabidWeasel posted:

Seirei No Moribito is a really drat good series that I don't see get enough praise, nothing groundbreaking but everything about it is very well executed, I found it extremely watchable and badass female leads are always cool.

This, I haven't seen, and I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I think clearly the answer is you should watch Kiddy Grade.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Drifter posted:

I think clearly the answer is you should watch Kiddy Grade.

Just, uh, stay away from the sequel.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Fenrir posted:

Although "better than Macross Frontier" is a huge huge standard and I might sass you later about that.
For the rest of us the opposite it will be true, you better like Plus way more than Frontier or you got some explaining to do :colbert:

I also can't imagine you not enjoying the original a decent amount if you liked Frontier.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Nate RFB posted:

For the rest of us the opposite it will be true, you better like Plus way more than Frontier or you got some explaining to do :colbert:

I also can't imagine you not enjoying the original a decent amount if you liked Frontier.

drat, seriously? Alright, you got me with that. I'm going to watch it this week.

I get a weird feel that you guys are loving with me or I just liked Macross Frontier more than my dumb rear end should have, but I can't ignore a recommendation this strong. Either way this is pretty much exactly what I asked for, so here we go.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 25, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Macross Plus isn't just the best Macross series it's one of the best anime series, period.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's more like Frontier was good, but also a bit trashy and divisive for some people. For a lot of us it was buoyed simply by being the first new Macross TV series in over a decade.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I loved Macross Frontier, but i think that feeling was helped along a huge amount because it hit all my nostalgia buttons for the original series hard.

Plus is great, but I think it's a lot more consistently serious in tone than SDF Macross and Frontier are, so it's kind of different. But hey, it's also short, so you should definitely give it a watch.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 25, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I loved Macross Frontier, then again it was both my first Macross series and I have a huge boner for shows/games/whatever that integrates music as well as Macross series tend to.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

TARDISman posted:

I loved Macross Frontier, then again it was both my first Macross series and I have a huge boner for shows/games/whatever that integrates music as well as Macross series tend to.

Same here. I never saw any of the older ones, but the thread has convinced me to do so.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Fenrir posted:

drat, seriously? Alright, you got me with that. I'm going to watch it this week.

I get a weird feel that you guys are loving with me or I just liked Macross Frontier more than my dumb rear end should have, but I can't ignore a recommendation this strong. Either way this is pretty much exactly what I asked for, so here we go.

It's the second one. Frontier was a weird amalgamation of bog-standard Macross stuff with ideas lifted from other sci-fi works jammed in the middle of it. It wasn't bad, per say, but exhaustingly derivative. Also I'm remembering a bunch of reused animation, but it has been quite a while since the show aired.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Fenrir posted:

e: But I'm still looking for any other solid recommendations, so hit me with all you have, ADTRW.

You mentioned a lot of action/mecha stuff but you also mentioned that you just want something good and that your tastes are broad. So I'll go outside your specified genres for a couple recommendations that get a lot of good press here.

Lovely Complex, which is a high school romance about a really tall girl and a really short dude. It's hilarious, the facial animation is some of the best in the business (not most realistic, just best), and it's got great voice acting. Also every character speaks in the Kansai dialect, which I found to be cool since usually you just get the one token "southerner" character. The story is nothing too notable but the presentation is great. This one is on the "new" page of the wiki but I figured I'd mention it just in case.

Princess Tutu, which is the best anime featuring a ballet-dancing duck that you'll ever see. It's a magical girl show that little kids can enjoy, with a meta-plot about the nature of storytelling and fate that adults can get a lot out of at the same time. The score is mostly (all?) classical ballet pieces or adaptations of the same (I dare you not to get Waltz of Flowers stuck in your head for a week after you watch the whole show, I loving DARE you). Every member of the supporting cast is a single joke that gets driven into the core of the Earth by the end, and the pacing could be a little tighter, but the essence of the show is quite good and pretty unique compared to anime as a whole. The title and art put me off at a glance, but I was really quite surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Che Delilas posted:

Lovely Complex, which is a high school romance about a really tall girl and a really short dude. It's hilarious, the facial animation is some of the best in the business (not most realistic, just best), and it's got great voice acting. Also every character speaks in the Kansai dialect, which I found to be cool since usually you just get the one token "southerner" character. The story is nothing too notable but the presentation is great. This one is on the "new" page of the wiki but I figured I'd mention it just in case.

You do a very good job at selling him the show, but I can't quite forgive you for forgetting to mention how the leads share, as all dumb teenagers do, a love for possibly the silliest musician ever. :allears:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

Seconding, this is good stuff. My only (rather minor) gripe is that the flashbacks aren't made obvious enough.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Wark Say posted:

You do a very good job at selling him the show, but I can't quite forgive you for forgetting to mention how the leads share, as all dumb teenagers do, a love for possibly the silliest musician ever. :allears:

He didn't do a good job because he didn't post gifs of the amazing faces

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wark Say posted:

Captain Invictus posted:

The obvious answer is to combine the two:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Captain Invictus posted:

I didn't want to usurp your prerogative. I'm nearly certain that you and that exact same set of animated gifs are what got me to watch the show in the first place.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Can somebody recommend me some cool mecha manga. Space stuff or more low-tech, w/e

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

muike posted:

Can somebody recommend me some cool mecha manga. Space stuff or more low-tech, w/e

Turn A Gundam.

e: Whoops, manga. I guess Turn A has a manga, too. I just haven't read it.

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muike posted:

Patlabor: The Early Days OVA or just plain old 50-ep Patlabor.

• Locked thread