Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

PriorMarcus posted:

Holy poo poo this bothered me too, in fact the entire way that scene played out unfortunately seemed less like Hannibal out smarting FBI agents and more like Hannibal out smarting a bunch of mentally challenged children.

What's this bullshit. One had the bullets removed (Which is quickly replaced AND fired before being blindsided), the other is facing a culmination of nearly two seasons worth of story where this weird, pseudo sexual game is finally playing out, and then gets gutted before he can react. It's not like Hannibal overpowers a SWAT team.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hey, uh, spoilers?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

Hey, uh, spoilers?
They're right above your post, try looking there.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

MrAristocrates posted:

Hey, uh, spoilers?

Hah, it always starts the same with one person coming into this thread just to go "HOLY poo poo, tonight's Hannibal/GOT/Fargo/Sesame Street" (that's always a red, flashing "EVACUATE!" sign) until inevitably someone mistakes which thread they're in and lets loose.

Its like forums law of nature. I just keep out of this thread until I catch up to [show I care about].

FactsAreUseless posted:

They're right above your post, try looking there.

lol

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Hah, it always starts the same with one person coming into this thread just to go "HOLY poo poo, tonight's Hannibal/GOT/Fargo/Sesame Street" (that's always a red, flashing "EVACUATE!" sign) until inevitably someone mistakes which thread they're in and lets loose.

Luckily, that hasn't happened with The Americans.

Because nobody watches The Americans. :smith:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

JohnSherman posted:

Luckily, that hasn't happened with The Americans.

Spoiler alert: America wins.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Well, poo poo

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Irish Joe posted:

Spoiler alert: America wins.

thats what they want you to think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFf9eNYLEFw

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

So, with the rapidly approaching death of the forums is there any good alternatives or successors out there?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

PriorMarcus posted:

So, with the rapidly approaching death of the forums is there any good alternatives or successors out there?

Twop is p good

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Reddit is quite popular.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

Real life friends?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

After the walls of SomethingAwful fell, we were forced to break into small, mobile Facebook groups in order to avoid the patrols.

Haven't heard from Marvel Avengers Alliance Goons in 3 weeks now. They were making a run for Tumblr. I hope they made it.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Vincent posted:

Real life friends?

They do not watch enough tv!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't really like Animaniacs all that much. That or Tiny Toons.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

Reddit is quite popular.
Reddit is garbage for actual discussions. It's really just an internet content aggregator.

I find SA to be quite invaluable in a number of ways: megathreads are great for getting (nuanced) answers to questions for which Google is woefully inept, browsing random threads exposes you to things you never knew you'd be interested in, and SA Mart is immensely preferable to Ebay or Craigslist. I, for one, would struggle to replace it.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 25, 2014

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Oh hey, I didn't know this until just now but there was a Middleman reunion today, where they did a table read of a new comic, in which the comic book Middleman cast meets the TV show Middleman cast. Amber Benson as comic book Wendy. I think they said they'd be putting it up on the internet soon.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

muscles like this? posted:

Get out.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this? posted:

They're really not great outside of nostalgia, but they made that one "finger prince" joke so for the rest of our lives kids who grew up on it are going to be praising it as mature and subversive.

Josh Lyman posted:

Reddit is garbage for actual discussions. It's really just an internet content advertising aggregator.

Most of the media-focused reddits are just straight-up advertising punctuated by Top X linkbait lists and endless overrated/underrated arguments.

TVIV doesn't really have that problem. Aside from the thread for Fox ADHD that was composed almost entirely of its animators, and that got taken off the air so :byewhore:.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I didn't think this place was in trouble but I saw there's like a 15 page thread in Questions/Comments of people making GBS threads on the forums.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I didn't think this place was in trouble but I saw there's like a 15 page thread in Questions/Comments of people making GBS threads on the forums.

90% of the posters here are psychotic shut-ins or Let's Play losers, the goon rape, suicide and murder count is reaching critical numbers, and it seems like every few weeks another mod or admin is revealed to be a broken criminal. Add this to the rapidly decreasing relevance of message boards and it becomes pretty obvious that this place died a long time ago and we're all in Internet Posting Hell

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Those same people are the ones keeping it afloat because they keep spending money.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

We're not in hell, we are simply in a place with all of the people that mean the most to us. After we die, we will all be reunited in a church and then take the journey to the afterlife together.

Also, John Locke will get to walk again.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wait....Drew Goddard left the Daredevil show? Well, that's the two Marvel projects I was most excited for gone down the toilet in as many days.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

PriorMarcus posted:

This is the only discussion board I've posted on in several years. I don't actually spend a ton of time on the internet anyway but from what I gather message boards like this are kind of considered relics these days. I imagine the majority of the people posting here these days are, like myself, just here because they got into the site when they were younger for various reasons. I was never really a prolific poster here anyways and I've actually probably posted more in the last year than the five preceding it just because someone decided to make me a moderator one day. If this place were to go away I'm sure I'd miss it just because it's a site I've visited for years, but I wouldn't be looking to find a replacement or anything. I visit very few of the subforums as it is anyway. There's three I check pretty regularly including this one and two more I check in on every once in a while. If I'm being honest there's maybe about 15 or so threads between all those forums that I actually follow and post in with any regularity. It seems that the larger percentage of the users are gamers and frequent that forum, but I am decidedly not a gamer and I rarely ever go in there at all. But if I were to guess that would be my guess for what is keeping the forum going as long as it has.

I think a lot of the posters here that started here around the time I did just kind of don't have the time or energy or desire to post on the internet about things anymore. I personally don't even really bother with social media stuff either. I had a Facebook page several years ago for a few months but grew tired of it. I have a Twitter that I've never actually posted anything on and used to follow comedians and other people I found interesting but I've not really opened it up in months. There's just less and less time to do things like that. With the free time I do have I like watching TV, reading, and playing basketball so the internet has gotten less and less of my time these days. I pretty much only get on the internet while I'm watching TV as I am right now. It's been almost five years since I even owned a regular computer this point. I have one HTPC in my den, another in my bedroom (because I use cable cards), and an iPad that I use for all my internet stuff. My job provides me with a laptop but it stays at work.

Basically what I'm trying to say that if the forum is dying or whatever (and contrary to popular belief being a mod doesn't magically give me inside info on the health of the forum or if it does I guess I'm not on the mailing list) as so many of you think I would wager it's because there's a lot of people just moving on and doing other things with their life. I do realize there's a lot of turmoil going on in some subforums here but I intentionally avoid all that stuff. I honestly don't care about the wars between whatever factions are at each others throats because in the end it's all just silly. I've always come here just to talk about the few subjects I enjoy posting about and that's it. None of the other stuff going on really matters to me. So if the forum were to disappear I'd just probably put the iPad down during TV time and that's about it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
This forum is my life and if it dies I'll kill myself and everyone around me.

edit: Not in that order, obviously.

Slamhound fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 25, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bown posted:

Wait....Drew Goddard left the Daredevil show? Well, that's the two Marvel projects I was most excited for gone down the toilet in as many days.

Sony lured him away with sweet Spider-Man movie money. He's staying on as a consultant and I believe wrote the pilot, he just doesn't have time to be showrunner. DeKnight is a excellent replacement.

Slamhound posted:

This forum is my life and if it dies I'll kill myself and everyone around me.

Well, that's unfortunate.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Message boards are still really big for (mostly illegal) file sharing, but one that just exists to be a forum is pretty rare now.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Deadpool posted:

Sony lured him away with sweet Spider-Man movie money. He's staying on as a consultant and I believe wrote the pilot, he just doesn't have time to be showrunner. DeKnight is a excellent replacement.

Well, that's unfortunate.

Both of them are former Whedon folks so it doesn't surprise me in the least. I'm sure it'll be amazing either way.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The thread title made me look at cartoons' from around this period, and I found some sort of hosed up Felix the Cat revival :stare:

The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQIQDDixrhI

This opening is so 90's and so absurd.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Deadpool posted:

This is the only discussion board I've posted on in several years. I don't actually spend a ton of time on the internet anyway but from what I gather message boards like this are kind of considered relics these days. I imagine the majority of the people posting here these days are, like myself, just here because they got into the site when they were younger for various reasons. I was never really a prolific poster here anyways and I've actually probably posted more in the last year than the five preceding it just because someone decided to make me a moderator one day. If this place were to go away I'm sure I'd miss it just because it's a site I've visited for years, but I wouldn't be looking to find a replacement or anything. I visit very few of the subforums as it is anyway. There's three I check pretty regularly including this one and two more I check in on every once in a while. If I'm being honest there's maybe about 15 or so threads between all those forums that I actually follow and post in with any regularity. It seems that the larger percentage of the users are gamers and frequent that forum, but I am decidedly not a gamer and I rarely ever go in there at all. But if I were to guess that would be my guess for what is keeping the forum going as long as it has.

I think a lot of the posters here that started here around the time I did just kind of don't have the time or energy or desire to post on the internet about things anymore. I personally don't even really bother with social media stuff either. I had a Facebook page several years ago for a few months but grew tired of it. I have a Twitter that I've never actually posted anything on and used to follow comedians and other people I found interesting but I've not really opened it up in months. There's just less and less time to do things like that. With the free time I do have I like watching TV, reading, and playing basketball so the internet has gotten less and less of my time these days. I pretty much only get on the internet while I'm watching TV as I am right now. It's been almost five years since I even owned a regular computer this point. I have one HTPC in my den, another in my bedroom (because I use cable cards), and an iPad that I use for all my internet stuff. My job provides me with a laptop but it stays at work.

Basically what I'm trying to say that if the forum is dying or whatever (and contrary to popular belief being a mod doesn't magically give me inside info on the health of the forum or if it does I guess I'm not on the mailing list) as so many of you think I would wager it's because there's a lot of people just moving on and doing other things with their life. I do realize there's a lot of turmoil going on in some subforums here but I intentionally avoid all that stuff. I honestly don't care about the wars between whatever factions are at each others throats because in the end it's all just silly. I've always come here just to talk about the few subjects I enjoy posting about and that's it. None of the other stuff going on really matters to me. So if the forum were to disappear I'd just probably put the iPad down during TV time and that's about it.

Honestly, a lot of what you said here is why I'm trying to market YFT in other places. A lot of people poo poo on the budgeting that I do, but I've helped a lot of people. That said, I'm spending roughly 25% more on ads now than I was a year ago for the same traffic, but I'm not sure if that is because the forums are dying or because Swole buys 40 banners a month which makes up almost half of all banners. Also, I lurk in here and D&D a lot, but I used to spend a lot of time in GBS prior to whatever the hell they did earlier this year as well.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Websites shut down or they change and people move on. That's been the way of the internet since the beginning. No point in crying about it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Websites shut down or they change and people move on. That's been the way of the internet since the beginning. No point in crying about it.
That's a false equivalence. SA isn't just a website to learn about cornbread recipes or buy lug nuts. Points of information or retailers are commodities and indeed replaceable, but a wide-ranging community with identifiable/accountable members and specialized knowledge is not.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 25, 2014

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

PriorMarcus posted:

HelloGiggles.com

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The Hannibal finale was great. rip in peace something awful forums.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I hear BrooklynBruiser is working on a TVIV offsite for when the forums shut down. It may or may not be a Kari Byron fanpage.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

FactsAreUseless posted:

I hear BrooklynBruiser is working on a TVIV offsite for when the forums shut down. It may or may not be a Kari Byron fanpage.

God, this guy really was a prick.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

God, this guy really was a prick.
Agreed, and I'm not super fond of BrooklynBruiser either. :rimshot:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Why the forums dead chat all of a sudden? Did something happen besides archives being down for the moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Why the forums dead chat all of a sudden? Did something happen besides archives being down for the moment?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lowtax announced on Twitter that unless SA gets about 2,500 new registrations in the next three months that it's going to shut down at the end of August due to lack of revenue to keep the servers going.

• Locked thread