Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Come back to us!

Any progress made with carb man? Are you currently running from the law after assaulting carb man with a pipe?

Yeah seriously! Tell us the story like it's a Punisher comic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I was really hoping there'd be a picture of a set of flatslides as the first reply :(

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Mat_Drinks posted:

Yeah seriously! Tell us the story like it's a Punisher comic!

Punisher MAX posted:

A half-hour's drive later I had the jump leads clamped to the skin of his balls and I'd been turning the key in the ignition for fifteen minutes and he'd poo poo all over himself and the world was a beautiful place.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Wasn't there already some fan fiction involving carb guy guest starring Kastein earlier in the thread or did I imagine (fantasize about) that?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'll be only a couple hours from his HQ this Saturday most likely, it's a shame he claims he'll be elsewhere working on stuff and delivering things or I'd pick them up in person.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

8ender posted:

Wasn't there already some fan fiction involving carb guy guest starring Kastein earlier in the thread or did I imagine (fantasize about) that?

ironblock posted:

The air is cool and silent. It's just before dawn, and rays of pink light are starting to creep over hilltops and into the sleepy valleys below. A golden-brown thrush alights on the branch of a lone aspen. She preens her soft feathers, fluffing them up as though to ward off the cold. She sits and waits, looking for breakfast.

The branch quakes lightly, almost imperceptibly so. The thrush doesn't feel any breeze, and she is alone on her perch. What could it be? She cocks her head and listens. In the distance, she can just make out a soft roar, like snow avalanching off a tree's branches, or maybe a torrent of water splashing down onto rocks. Then, she sees it. Chasing away the muted rays of morning sun, the harsh yellow cascade of halogen high beams blasts over the rise.

The furious trundling of the enormous diesel mill is nearly overcome by the sound of ten knobby tires chewing up the country road at 54 miles per hour. The morning's peace is shattered, but inside the truck's cab, there is a different kind of silence. A purity of intent, of focused will. An understanding between the truck's occupants that whatever comes to pass, whatever may have been ordained by fate, whatever transgressions against men and Gods are about to occur, that these things are right. That no questions need be asked, no answers need be given.

As the country road gives way to to city street, and then to suburbs, the passenger smiles. The target is home. He and the driver share a moment of mute understanding, and the five ton truck commits a federal offense, obliterating the flimsy mailbox. A copy of Us Weekly flutters back to Earth in the neighbor's yard. With a grunt and a small lurch, the truck seems to regret its enthusiasm, cautiously backing its rear tires off the lawn while bringing its nose about. With the truck's formidable lighting array now aimed directly through the living room's picture window, sunrise has come early to one house in Syracuse.

Red-faced and sweating, the man of the house bursts through the front door, flinging open the screen with wild abandon. His eyes widen as he takes in the scene in his front yard. The truck is still aimed at him like a ferocious beast, quietly rumbling sooty exhaust onto the petunias.

Just as he puts his hands up to block the blast from those brilliant headlights, they're switched off, and the truck's doors open.

IronBlock and Kastein jump down and form ranks in the muddy horror that once was the man's lawn, their jet-black suits contrasting sharply with the damage around them.

IronBlock carefully adjusts his Rolex and clears his throat.

"Mr. Parker," he intones, "you're late."

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Black suits? What are they, morticians? Come on. :colbert:

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.
Well, the important thing is that I'm not dead.

I am hugely depressed about not having anything to update. I may have some little tidbits I can dig up, but for the most part, my life has been entirely about work for the past several months. I've also got a new side project that I think AI will like, but I'm not quite ready to launch it.

I've been biding my time, researching my options, and saving my cash. My hope is that I can order absolutely everything that I need to finish the car, ship it to California, and then once I know it's there, spend a solid month working from California and finishing the car. I think at this point, I'm going to turn this thread into a great push to finish the car. I ask AI to help me make good life choices, determine the right course of action, and create a future that involves sweet, sweet Datsun burnouts.

Here's where we're at:

Ignition:
Should be done and ready to go. Obviously I haven't tested it, but all the bits are in and it just needs to have initial timing set.

Electrical:
- Have to put the wiring harness back, but it's so simple it almost doesn't matter. Nothing on this car is electric anyways. Hopefully the H4 lights don't set anything on fire.
- Alternator conversion. I have a GM alternator I was going to use, but it involves a lot of bullshit that I don't have time for. I want to eliminate anything involving fabrication, for the time being. I'm thinking about going with this high output kit. Oliver is a friend, and a total badass, so I think his kit should work. Welcoming opinions on this. I can also get some other goodies from him
- Radio: don't care, not even gonna right now

Fuel:
- Giving up on carbs. I contacted the BBB branch that deals with VPD's area. YOU'D NEVER GUESS but he has like an F- on their system already. Hoping to pursue some kind of legal action when he inevitably doesn't respond to them. Would be cool if I could get his business shut down before he scams anyone else.

CARB CHOICES:
Choice A: I have a set of gunked-to-all-gently caress SUs from a U20 that I could use with my hogged out R16 manifold. This was my original path. It requires no fab work, and uses factory parts. I would probably need a rebuild kit for the SUs, which runs about $100 from any of the vendors (the brass parts are corroded and lovely). This choice makes more sense but it pisses me off because I have to compromise on my no-compromise Datsun. I will also inevitably get the HSR42s anyways.
Choice B: I dug up the ACTUAL modifications that VPD does to the HSR42s, and they're loving bullshit. I could do them in my garage with a Dremel and a bottle of whiskey. So with that in mind, I could buy 4x HSR42 "easy kit"s, which include the mounting socket, the air filter adapter, and basically everything you need, and then two jet kits.
- Fuel tank is ready to go, needs nothing
- Gas cap is MIA, god drat it. I can get a new one, but they aren't cheap.
- Lines, hoses, filters: I got a new glass filter bowl, and I always have about 10,000ft of hose on hand. All the hardlines are run, and the fuel system is complete, pending carbs.

Engine:
- I really hope it isn't all rusted to gently caress. I turned it over for a while with the plugs out, just to get oil everywhere and make sure it was free. Should be okay.
- Need to redo valve clearances, since I found my spec card and I hosed up
- Totally unsure if this engine will implode or not, given the extremely high CR. Maybe the first tank should use 100 octane for safety?

Drivetrain:
- Completely set and ready to go.
- Need to fill fluids. Gonna get some Redline MTL, unless someone has a better idea.
- Thinking about an OS Giken LSD, but it's not important right now, so I could hold off.

Brakes:
- Rear brakes done and perfect.
- I need to take the front calipers off and grind merry hell out of some of the suspension arms to get the brass adapters to clear. It's not even 1/8", but they're too close right now.
- The Tilton master cylinder I bought has the ports at the wrong angle. I could try and figure out a way to hook them up, but I refuse to bend the SS lines, and I don't want to do a lot of fab work. I think I might just buy a stock master cylinder for now
- My brake balance is most likely going to be COMPLETELY hosed. The actual piston surface area of the 4 piston brakes is smaller (two small circles vs one large one), and I went with the larger piston slave cylinders for the rear drums. My plan was to attempt some panic stops in a parking lot after the car is running and see if I'm locking the rears first. Starting to wish I had gone for a 67.5 so I could have had a dual master. Might need a proportioning valve (do these even work?)

Wheels:
- Rears are on and fine
- Fronts can't mount because the allen bolts holding the wheels together are too long. Need shorter bolts.
- Need front wheel spacers (I have several sets, but I recall thinking they were wrong for some reason - maybe because I didn't have longer studs?)
- Need longer front wheel studs (I have to take the hubs apart anyways, might as well)

Body
- Rear body panel needs more work, since it has the wrong curvature. Not important to driving the car.
- Missing passenger door glass, but I have a guy who owes it to me.
- Need to mount mirrors. Didn't know where the Japanese market ones went, but I got a scale model for a gift that has the placement. Sweet.

Suspension
- Want to use the Bilsteins, but I don't have the correct paint or the stickers. I keep trying to get them, and then I lose touch with the guy at Bilstein USA who said he could get them. Anyone have Bilstein stickers?
- Need to grease all the zerks and tighten all the lockplates. Hadn't done this because I had a feeling it would come apart again
- Found out that someone makes reproduction balljoints. Mine are okay, since they're the durable "forever" joints, but they have a tiny bit of play. Should I get new ones?
- I didn't replace the spindle links, but they seemed fine. They're godawful expensive, at $400+ for a set

Interior:
- Need to install interior
- Center console not redone, could stand to be wrapped in the same vinyl as the seats.

Misc bullshit:
- The mounting stud for the alternator bracket (in the head) has its threads all hosed up. It's also an M14 or some similarly stupidly sized thing, and since it's right next to the water inlet, I can't get a tap on it even if I had one big enough. I could try and drill it and get at it with an easy out, but I think the position might be too awkward.
- The paint is probably all dirty and hosed up from sitting out in the open for so long. Going to have to polish and wax ASAP.

That's basically everything I can think of. I'll dig up the most recent pictures and show y'all pics of the top install. Reading over this, I think I'm four work days and several thousand dollars away from realizing the dream. Maybe if I go in July, I can make to to the Mt. Shasta Roadster meet.

Okay, I'm pumped.

Let's do this, AI. Let's build a goddamn Datsun.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

:hellyeah:

I assume there is going to be video taken of you doing said datsun burnouts?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

ironblock posted:

I dug up the ACTUAL modifications that VPD does to the HSR42s, and they're loving bullshit. I could do them in my garage with a Dremel and a bottle of whiskey.

I kinda figured that, with his descriptions being so vague. Protecting proprietary techniques is one thing but if you're marketing a product (whether you actually ship it out or not) with the amount of unique engineering he claims (or implies at least) to be putting into these, there's nothing wrong with saying what you're doing as long as you leave out the 'how' part.
This car needs Mikunis. Option B is your only option.
Are you even going to be able to get your money back from scamtard? I know you've said you don't care about the cash but I'd fight him tooth and nail for it on principle alone.
I've never needed to use an adjustable Prop valve so I don't know much about them, but I'm pretty sure they'd compensate for your Caliper/Wheel Cyl differences just fine. Someone who knows what the gently caress can chime in if I'm wrong though.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

ironblock posted:

Let's do this, AI. Let's build a goddamn Datsun.

gently caress yeah

Still kinda wish we'd gotten to see kastein knock on that dick's door with the 5-ton.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Any legal (CARB etc) complications from doing this work in California?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Terrible Robot posted:

Still kinda wish we'd gotten to see kastein knock on drive through that dick's door with the 5-ton.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

Any legal (CARB etc) complications from doing this work in California?

1967 is pre-inspection in CA so it should be good. Arizona is one of the only places that would still run it through a sniffer test but as long as it passes they don't care how you do it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

1967 is pre-inspection in CA so it should be good. Arizona is one of the only places that would still run it through a sniffer test but as long as it passes they don't care how you do it.

And this is getting to me. Apparently they're going to do the sniffer on my 71 Beetle? What the hell?

e: thought this was the chat thread for a second, whoops

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm excited. The brake stuff sounds sketchy, why won't you bend the lines?

It's neither complicated nor dangerous compared to running a stock master and prop valve on big titty aftermarket brakes. Maybe I'm misunderstanding though. Brakes are not my strong suit.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm excited. The brake stuff sounds sketchy, why won't you bend the lines?

It's neither complicated nor dangerous compared to running a stock master and prop valve on big titty aftermarket brakes. Maybe I'm misunderstanding though. Brakes are not my strong suit.

Ever bent stainless lines? It's kind of a bitch and you need a special bender.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ironblock posted:

Brakes:
- My brake balance is most likely going to be COMPLETELY hosed. The actual piston surface area of the 4 piston brakes is smaller (two small circles vs one large one), and I went with the larger piston slave cylinders for the rear drums. My plan was to attempt some panic stops in a parking lot after the car is running and see if I'm locking the rears first. Starting to wish I had gone for a 67.5 so I could have had a dual master. Might need a proportioning valve (do these even work?)

Suspension
- Want to use the Bilsteins, but I don't have the correct paint or the stickers. I keep trying to get them, and then I lose touch with the guy at Bilstein USA who said he could get them. Anyone have Bilstein stickers?

Proportioning valves work great and are pretty painless to install, just toss inline to the rears and adjust as needed. Between Dad and I we've had them on 5 cars, I recommend wilwood but they're all the same thing.

Bilstein stickers? Like the stickers they send out with their shocks? If so I should have a few laying around.

Good to hear your not dead.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands
Ironblock, regarding the carbs, the dude at v-performance says that he upgrades the float needle and/or seat to handle the higher pressure of a fuel pump. Did you get more info on that somewhere? I'd be curious to know.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Terrible Robot posted:

Still kinda wish we'd gotten to see kastein knock on that dick's door with the 5-ton.

I'm still on board if kastein is <3

quote:

CARB woes, :ca:
Doesn't matter at all. The registration is kind of in limbo. I went and poked it when I first got the car in 2011, but I don't think there should be any problems. It was completely out of the system, I had a bill of sale, and I did the transfer of ownership without registering it, somehow. There may be fees, but we'll see. Worst comes to worst, I have to drive it to Shasta with the JDM tyte red 7 sticker on the license plate.

quote:

Incredibly questionable brakes
I'll draw a picture of it tomorrow. Basically there's a gorgeous U bend at the end of the brake line -> master cylinder, and the Tilton has the port on the passenger side of the cylinder body instead of on the front. Or maybe it's the other way around. Whichever it is, the tilton is only marginally bigger - I mostly wanted to make sure I didn't have a rock hard pedal with no modulation. Since they're single master non-power brakes, getting the pedal right is going to be hugely germane to living a long and happy life.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Proportioning valves work great and are pretty painless to install, just toss inline to the rears and adjust as needed. Between Dad and I we've had them on 5 cars, I recommend wilwood but they're all the same thing.

Bilstein stickers? Like the stickers they send out with their shocks? If so I should have a few laying around.
Prop valves: Good to know. It may come to this, and I'll order one just in case. Shouldn't need it to drive the car, but I'm not going on the freeway until I know the brakes are right.

Stickers: Like the actual stickers that go on the shock body. Look like they're foil. I don't NEED these, but it will piss me off to repaint the shocks and not have them. It would bother me to install dirty old parts on my nice clean car.

Viking Blood posted:

Ironblock, regarding the carbs, the dude at v-performance says that he upgrades the float needle and/or seat to handle the higher pressure of a fuel pump. Did you get more info on that somewhere? I'd be curious to know.
This was kind of the only X-factor, but by doing some Googlin', I've discovered that sometimes the Harley guys need to pressure feed "high cube drag bikes, bro", and they use Mikuni part no 786-27001-2.3, which is a smaller float bowl valve "for pressure feed only". I strongly strongly suspect that this is the only "mod" being done to make the carbs work with pressure feed.

My only problem is that I can't find anyone who sells the fuckin' things, but I'm still looking. Will be eternally grateful if anyone can help with this. It's referenced in the HSR42 PDF, under 'alternate parts'. It also looks like it may be included in the "Easy Kit", but there's no way to be sure without looking at a parts manifest or something.

I think I'll call Mikuni tomorrow and ask my questions.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

ironblock posted:

This was kind of the only X-factor, but by doing some Googlin', I've discovered that sometimes the Harley guys need to pressure feed "high cube drag bikes, bro", and they use Mikuni part no 786-27001-2.3, which is a smaller float bowl valve "for pressure feed only". I strongly strongly suspect that this is the only "mod" being done to make the carbs work with pressure feed.

Ummm... could it be this simple/easy? eBay Link
Part number looks like it matches and says it's a needle valve, my understanding of carbs is all theoretical so I might be pointing to the wrong thing.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

ironblock posted:

Stickers: Like the actual stickers that go on the shock body. Look like they're foil. I don't NEED these, but it will piss me off to repaint the shocks and not have them. It would bother me to install dirty old parts on my nice clean car.

I have a few unused, unopened sets I'll check when I get home. If I find anything I'll let you know

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Bajaha posted:

Ummm... could it be this simple/easy? eBay Link
Part number looks like it matches and says it's a needle valve, my understanding of carbs is all theoretical so I might be pointing to the wrong thing.

I think that might be all it needs. I guess just a stronger spring on the needle valve?

I also found this thread, which describes some of the goings on.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I have a few unused, unopened sets I'll check when I get home. If I find anything I'll let you know

Yessssss. I think John Deere tractor yellow is close enough. If I could get some mildly accurate stickers on there, I think that's all I'd need to be happy.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Are the stickers shot?
If not, why not just mask them off?

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

mafoose posted:

Are the stickers shot?
If not, why not just mask them off?

I mean... sorta? They look pretty lovely.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Well drat. What did the big sticker have on it?

The small bilstein one could be replicated easily with some pics and measurements. Lots of goons with vinyl cutters and sticker makers, I'm sure one could help you out.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

First, activate the mood music

Next, learn what Ron Paul tried to warn us about :

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

ironblock posted:

Yessssss. I think John Deere tractor yellow is close enough. If I could get some mildly accurate stickers on there, I think that's all I'd need to be happy.
So I'm an rear end in a top hat and forgot all about this while frantically packing yesterday and now I'm out of town until late July. Sorry :argh:

Might be worth reaching out to Bilstein through facebook or twitter and see if they'll send you some.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

I've got an email conversation with their guy spanning like two years. I think I just need to call them and try to buy something at the same time so that they take me seriously. I'd like boots, so that would work.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Have you tried eBay, there's got to be enough idiots putting the stickers on.the side of their cars / macbooks that there's a market for counterfeit ones.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Also, I don't know for sure if/how I can help, but I'm going to be dropping close to a grand on Bilstein shocks in the near future, and have no interest in stickers. Can they be taken off of other shocks, or do they need to be new? I guess I could request some when I order. (I say "I guess" because I wasn't planning on ordering from Bilstein, but the parts I need don't seem to fluctuate in price that much so ... If it would help you and it's not a huge difference, I might as well.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 29, 2014

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'd be shocked if you just emailed Bilstein and asked for them that they wouldn't send them to you. That's basically free advertising for them. My buddy did this when he bought BREMBO rotors for his car. They sent him some stickers because he said he wanted to put them on the side of his car. :v:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I want to get some parts store-brand stickers on my car. Imagine a gigantic A1Cardone sticker over your windshield! AC Delco running down one side and Duralast down the other.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

revmoo posted:

I want to get some parts store-brand stickers on my car. Imagine a gigantic A1Cardone sticker over your windshield! AC Delco running down one side and Duralast down the other.

I bet the A1 Cardone stickers last longer than their parts.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Larrymer posted:

I'd be shocked if you just emailed Bilstein and asked for them that they wouldn't send them to you. That's basically free advertising for them.

That's exactly how it works. I just have to call the guy and remind him that I exist, and not get off the phone until I know the right thing has happened.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Came across this ad during some craigslist bullshitting today and thought of this thread.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/4497017050.html

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Wasn't that IN this thread?

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

The worst part isn't just that I've actually seen him repost this several times, but that I've contemplated buying them all.

I mean, after I have a pure one, I can start molesting one with forced induction, right?

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Minor update

I'll be in California from June 20th to ?? in July - at least a month. I have to work my normal schedule, but nights and weekends are free. I am now going to order everything on my list in advance. I should have enough time once I get there to make adjustments and do one, maybe two more orders, so this time, I'm prepared for the unforseen.

The HSRs arrived in CA yesterday.

It's happening, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

ironblock posted:

Minor update

I'll be in California from June 20th to ?? in July - at least a month. I have to work my normal schedule, but nights and weekends are free. I am now going to order everything on my list in advance. I should have enough time once I get there to make adjustments and do one, maybe two more orders, so this time, I'm prepared for the unforseen.

The HSRs arrived in CA yesterday.

It's happening, guys.

:woop:

Hell yes.

• Locked thread