Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

CaseFace McGee posted:

rFactor 2 released Indianapolis Motor Speedway today, along with the 2014 Indy car. I'm fantastically terrible with the car, but I've been having some fun with the 3 different road course layouts. I haven't tried the Speedway yet.

I have been getting good framerates also - better than Silverstone by a moderate margin.

It's bloody amazing, they really have outdone themselves. The 2014 GP course is awesome, but the car setup needs more front wing from default, very understeery. You can be very aggressive with the throttle and correct the oversteer quite predictably. New favorite sim combo.

I was going to complain about the AI divebombing me from too far back, but on second thought they got that part right :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

So how would affixing a wheel setup to a somewhat flimsy glass-topped desk pan out? Not worth it?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jehde posted:

So how would affixing a wheel setup to a somewhat flimsy glass-topped desk pan out? Not worth it?

It will be hilarious when the table shatters

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Holy poo poo, they finally figured it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsiv-RUX46o

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Cojawfee posted:

Well, holy poo poo. Now I want to sell my CSR Elite and get a CSW. :(

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Wow, that's actually a great idea. I wonder what the cost is though, and BUILD QUALITY.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's supposed to cost 250 dollars. If you buy a rim from fanatec, that's another hundred dollars apparently. I feel like they could have gotten a lot more support for this if they hadn't released the rims in the order they did. They really need to work on their PR. They start out with a classic wheel with no information besides a couple pictures with a pricetag of 350 dollars. Then another wheel with nothing visible but an encoder wheel. Then a bunch of other rims. Then finally they announce the universal hub and the fact that all the other wheels use the universal hub and you can just order new rims for 100 dollars. I feel this whole situation would have gone better if they led in with the universal hub and then slowly trickled out info about the rims they would be selling.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 30, 2014

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I see that Codemasters is at it again with the new Grid: Motorsport, just showed up for pre-order on Steam. Seems like they're going more on a sim-heavy focus this time around?

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Original_Z posted:

I see that Codemasters is at it again with the new Grid: Motorsport, just showed up for pre-order on Steam. Seems like they're going more on a sim-heavy focus this time around?

It's Codemasters so... hahah nope.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Original_Z posted:

:airquote:sim:airquote:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Arma III: Karts is probably a better sim than anything Codemasters can make.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
:iceburn:

Considering torque and gravity in ArmA are subject to different physical rules than the rest of the universe, that means something.

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

They've made a big song a dance about it having an in car view this time, so clearly it's 100% a sim now. There's a twisted part of me that is slightly looking forward to this as it's got V8 Supercars and the Ute equivalents. (Well Ford & Holden anyway, no Nissan/Volvo/Merc).

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I enjoyed the first GRiD when I was still using a 360 controller, but trying to play it or Shift2 with a wheel was torture.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I enjoyed the first GRiD when I was still using a 360 controller, but trying to play it or Shift2 with a wheel was torture.

Yeah, when I got my DFGT I reinstalled Grid and Dirt 2 to see how they played and it was... not good. The force feedback was a joke and I felt like I was playing with one of those RC cars with the little steering wheel remote.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Ugh someone make a new good rally game already

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Mootallica posted:

They've made a big song a dance about it having an in car view this time, so clearly it's 100% a sim now. There's a twisted part of me that is slightly looking forward to this as it's got V8 Supercars and the Ute equivalents. (Well Ford & Holden anyway, no Nissan/Volvo/Merc).

Codemasters has also literally said "This is not actually a sim, but we've made it feel more 'authentic'" which means gently caress all. Don't expect a sim, expect an arcade game and you'll be happier for it (unless you've no idea what a real sim is like, in which case go hog wild!)

EDIT: Just to be clear I hate Codemasters but I think that this new Grid seems 200x more appealing than the prequals.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Inside Sim Racing got a hands on demo of GRID Autosport, and posted a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIVTzkOfDmk

I've not watched it yet, but I'm about to. Should be interesting.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Man thats tempting, i've got a couple of old nardi wheels just sitting around doing nothing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

365 Nog Hogger posted:

The interesting thing is that Shift2 was done by most of the guys that did GTR1/2 and GTL, as well as the physics guy that worked on RBR. That's how bad the influence of EA is.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Combat Pretzel posted:

The interesting thing is that Shift2 was done by most of the guys that did GTR1/2 and GTL, as well as the physics guy that worked on RBR. That's how bad the influence of EA is.
I don't think you really understand how little EA influences a lot of games. A lot of that input probably came from whatever Exec Producers were on the game than people far away at EA saying they need to do this and that.

tehsid posted:

Inside Sim Racing got a hands on demo of GRID Autosport, and posted a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIVTzkOfDmk

I've not watched it yet, but I'm about to. Should be interesting.
I have a soft-spot for Codies racers simply because there are sometimes that I want a semi-arcadey racer that looks pretty and they fill that niche nicely. This one seems to be going back to the GRID days and that makes me really happy.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

From how SMS made it understand, there were EA execs more directly involved in development of the Shift games.

--edit: What I mean to say is that SMS was contracted to make the Shift games, not that they were making them and then looked for a publisher.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Kunos preview the AC mod tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj3z_yzdwbs

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyJKaYO1pTk

Still mostly driving by myself about a month after AC mp debut because it's so hard to find a public race.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Still mostly driving by myself about a month after AC mp debut because it's so hard to find a public race.

Are you using a wheel or a controller?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

GutBomb posted:

Are you using a wheel or a controller?

G27, the ingame wheel exaggerates the motion.
e: I have an excuse for 0:48-56, phone :downs:

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 13, 2014

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I've had no trouble - there's always a server in booking mode when I go online. Is it because of your location maybe (I'm in Europe)?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

David Pratt posted:

I've had no trouble - there's always a server in booking mode when I go online. Is it because of your location maybe (I'm in Europe)?

Yeah, west coast US. There are servers online, but they are all in europe/empty. I could join some of them, but my ping to them is always north of ~250. There are 1 or 2 US/CAN servers that pop up, but generally they're GT (which I'm not interested in).

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

received my g27 last week and I just wanted to chime in and say that assetto corsa loving owns

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

right arm posted:

received my g27 last week and I just wanted to chime in and say that assetto corsa loving owns

Yes. Yes it does.

Now download the Nurburgring: http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/wip-nordschleife-by-snoopy.9846/

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Is there a comprehensive FFB guide/setup for the g27 and AC yet?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Also yes: http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/suggested-wheel-setups-ac-early-access.1439/

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
How do mods work with AC? Is there a certain process to doing it or just as simple as putting files in a folder?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I only really know tracks, but those are as simple as putting them in the correct folder (assettocorsa/content/tracks or something). So I'm guessing yes. What mods?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

you've made my weekend

any other worthwhile mods out there?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

right arm posted:

you've made my weekend

any other worthwhile mods out there?

http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/resources/categories/ac-tracks.8/?order=rating_weighted

http://www.kegetys.fi/joux-plane-for-assetto-corsa-compatibility-update/

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

AC car modding tools have been out for a bit now, and I managed to find an early version of one of the most polished cars in progress, the only one I have found yet to download. The inside is just placeholder right now, and the physics need work, but it's early and cool to finally get another car into the game.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

There's also this, but it hasn't even made it into the game yet.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I guess Grid Autosport is out? Anyone try it out yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Original_Z posted:

I guess Grid Autosport is out? Anyone try it out yet?

Quick and dirty thoughts posted from my iPhone.

It's good. I play with a G27 and playseat setup.

It's a biscuit less "sim" than say, GT6. It's not at all like GRID 2.

The good: It has much better FF by default than GRID or shift 2. The only config I had to do was lessen the FF strengths in the in-game menu. In a race, without needing to restart or anything. OOTB everything operates with the G27 perfectly, as if you are playing on a console. It's actually quite polished in all of the ways these games typically aren't.

Graphics are okay. They released a high-res free DLC same-day.

The racing is nice, a little too forgiving for fuckups. Physics feel fine. Again, better than GRID or Shift 2. But that's not exactly a high bar.

The bad: player progression is so far quite boring. You are forced to do a lengthy "drift" segment to progress at a certain point, and I'm not really looking forward to that. So far I've not ran into any car upgrading capabilities, but I'm mostly doing the GT segment. I'm only ~5 hours in and barely scratched the surface.

I race hood view, no drive line, no TC or ESC, no "rewind", no automatic. Disabling these assists bump up your XP gains.

It's an entirely shallow and easy racer so far, but I'm having a pretty good time. If you just want to jump into a game and race, without updating mods, sperging about fine tuning pedal response or wheel dead zones or whatever to get the feeling "just right", then it's a really good distraction. The AI is bullshit but entertaining, you can jump right into races without enduring any story bullshit, and you will kill 2 hours in a session pretty quickly.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 27, 2014

• Locked thread