Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deathrat
May 25, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

So if I switch to LOOT instead of BOSS, do I just do everything in the step-by-step instructions for the Bashed and TES5Edit merged patches exactly the same except for the BOSS step? I'm assuming I do but you never know what's going to screw up a game or cause a crash.

Should work the same if not better, except you'll want to pass the -NOBOSS argument to any SUM Patchers you run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Or just uninstall BOSS and hit cancel when it opens the file dialogue for you to find BOSS. Youll only have to do that the first time. :)

Sojourn
Mar 28, 2005
I'm using an ENB for the first time ever and was wondering if there was a way to turn off the autofocus effect on the depth-of-field. I can turn off the DOF completely, but I like having the static DOF for far off things, I just don't like it blurring everything out whenever my cursor so much as brushes something nearby. I've been googling it, but I haven't really found much, though I might just be searching for the wrong things.

I'm using Project ENB, if that makes a difference.

edit: Figured it out.

In case anyone else needs to know; if you edit enbeffectprepass.fx in notepad (or notepad++ if you're feeling fancy) you just delete "#define AUTO_FOCUS" and voila!

Sojourn fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 22, 2014

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
This looks pretty cool - Manual Crossbow Reload. Stops you from automatically reloading your crossbow, so you can take a shot and keep moving. It uses a hotkey or a power to reload, but you can set the hotkey to your attack button, which sounds perfect. This is how crossbows should have been from the beginning. It seems to make changing bolts a bit awkward, though.

Gopher did a video about it if you want to see it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI-ezeVqcv0&list=UU1CSCMwaDubQ4rcYCpX40Eg.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Quick question since google isn't being helpful: What exactly do I need to do with files in the overwrite section of Mod Organizer? I nuked my Skyrim folder and just finished redownloading/reinstalling all my stuff, and ASIS's patcher generated an ASIS.esp and a Skyproc Patchers folder in my overwrite section. Am I supposed to drag those into ASIS's mod listing in the left pane or create a new mod for it like this describes doing? Or should I just leave it there or something?

Also all I need to do to add SPERG as an exception to ASIS is list SPERG.esm and SPERG.esp under ASIS.ini, right? I don't want to run into what happened before I nuked everything and started over, where enemies were stacking the "give allies an armor buff" perk on each other so dungeons were filled with literal swarms of unkillable enemies.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Praetorian Mage posted:

This looks pretty cool - Manual Crossbow Reload. Stops you from automatically reloading your crossbow, so you can take a shot and keep moving. It uses a hotkey or a power to reload, but you can set the hotkey to your attack button, which sounds perfect. This is how crossbows should have been from the beginning. It seems to make changing bolts a bit awkward, though.

Gopher did a video about it if you want to see it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI-ezeVqcv0&list=UU1CSCMwaDubQ4rcYCpX40Eg.

Bookmarking this for my next character since I was planning to use crossbows. I'm glad they made it so you can set the reload to your attack button since playing with a controller doesn't really jive with using a bunch of hotkeys for stuff.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Alasyre posted:

Also, drat Falskaar's map looks like something out of Heroes of Might and Magic. Kind of a let down.

Novajam, a guy that does some excellent bad mod reviews, calls it "Lorkhan's Ironing Board".

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
So, I'm currently reordering my installed mods in MO to match the load order from the right pane. What am I supposed to do with mods that contain multiple ESPs? I can't assign multiple priorities to a single mod so that's a bit confusing.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Wrist Watch posted:

Quick question since google isn't being helpful: What exactly do I need to do with files in the overwrite section of Mod Organizer? I nuked my Skyrim folder and just finished redownloading/reinstalling all my stuff, and ASIS's patcher generated an ASIS.esp and a Skyproc Patchers folder in my overwrite section. Am I supposed to drag those into ASIS's mod listing in the left pane or create a new mod for it like this describes doing? Or should I just leave it there or something?

Also all I need to do to add SPERG as an exception to ASIS is list SPERG.esm and SPERG.esp under ASIS.ini, right? I don't want to run into what happened before I nuked everything and started over, where enemies were stacking the "give allies an armor buff" perk on each other so dungeons were filled with literal swarms of unkillable enemies.

I'd say make a new mod for the generated files like the link says. Its not a huge deal but it keeps them separate so you can keep track of them easier. Just don't leave them in Overwrite because Overwrite is shared between profiles (if you use those) and can't be toggled on and off like a mod so you can get files showing up that shouldn't be there.

And yes to add a mod as a global exclusion to ASIS put the file name like SPERG.esp in ASIS.ini. If you just wanted to exclude it from ASIS spells you would put it in AutomaticSpells.ini.

Sensenmann posted:

So, I'm currently reordering my installed mods in MO to match the load order from the right pane. What am I supposed to do with mods that contain multiple ESPs? I can't assign multiple priorities to a single mod so that's a bit confusing.

You only need to sort the mods in the left panel if they have a lightning bolt icon with a + or - sign. That means they have conflicting files that MO is managing. If there is no lightning bolt their MO install order doesn't matter so don't go crazy. If you have a mod with multiple esps that does have a lightning bolt icon right click it and choose information, then the conflicts tab. That will show you all the conflicting files. They will usually be scripts, textures, or meshes (models). Hopefully some thinking about the mods will let you figure out which should win the conflict.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

LtSmash posted:

You only need to sort the mods in the left panel if they have a lightning bolt icon with a + or - sign. That means they have conflicting files that MO is managing. If there is no lightning bolt their MO install order doesn't matter so don't go crazy. If you have a mod with multiple esps that does have a lightning bolt icon right click it and choose information, then the conflicts tab. That will show you all the conflicting files. They will usually be scripts, textures, or meshes (models). Hopefully some thinking about the mods will let you figure out which should win the conflict.

Got it, thanks.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Does anyone else have issues with Skyrim taking quite a bit of time to launch after starting SKSE? It usually takes a couple minutes to start up.

I'm running MO; tried an empty profile and it's starts within seconds.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Arkitektbmw posted:

Does anyone else have issues with Skyrim taking quite a bit of time to launch after starting SKSE? It usually takes a couple minutes to start up.

I'm running MO; tried an empty profile and it's starts within seconds.

The more files MO has to set up into the virtual directory, the longer it takes. Interesting NPCs takes quite a while each time.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
I haven't seen a lot of discussion about the Interesting NPCs quests, but they're actually really good, and there are a lot of them. Most of them have more creativity and character than 90 percent of the vanilla quests. It could pretty much be considered a quest mod at this point.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
So from what I've gathered, most if not all of my problems with freezing and save bloat and all that are because I've been adding and removing bunches of mods partway through an already-started game. If that's the case, would that basically mean that if I started a game with all the mods that I wanted to use with it already loaded beforehand, I most likely wouldn't have these same problems?

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Doctor Bishop posted:

So from what I've gathered, most if not all of my problems with freezing and save bloat and all that are because I've been adding and removing bunches of mods partway through an already-started game. If that's the case, would that basically mean that if I started a game with all the mods that I wanted to use with it already loaded beforehand, I most likely wouldn't have these same problems?

That sounds about right. The general rule is to not remove mods mid-playthrough, especially mods with a lot of scripts, and you certainly wouldn't want to do something like changing from SPERG to SkyRe 50 hours in. It's not a hard-and-fast rule, and some mods are safer to remove than others, but that's the safest way to go. Adding mods mid-playthrough generally isn't a problem, unless they conflict with something you already have installed, and of course you'll want to make sure you don't have any other conflicts and that your load order is correct. If you do that, you should be fine.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
If you activate SKSE's script-trimming function that helps deal with save bloat, but it doesn't work all at once - you have to keep playing, as SKSE only takes out the bad scripts as they pop up. I switched from ACE to SPERG with a save that was over 100 hours in a couple years ago and it still works today.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

Doctor Bishop posted:

You can add mods to a save pretty much whenever unless they need a specific event to trigger them and you have already done it. If they have any scripts you are pretty much hosed if you try and remove them ever. If they are totally unscripted simple weapon/armor mods you should be okay removing them but those items will of course vanish. If you try and re-add the same mod strange things may happen. If you were foolish enough to remove a scripted mod and then reinstall it it will forever be trapped in a state of limbo. Scripts neither alive nor dead. Yearning always for the sweet release of death, sowing chaos in all they touch, and making all respectable objects recoil in horror at their mere sight.

If you are thinking about adding a mod save your game and back up that save. The add the mod and check it out. If you don't like it remove it delete any saves after adding it and go back to the pre-mod safe save that was never contaminated. Unlike previous elder scroll/fallout games skyrim bakes scripts and some other mod info into your save and it never ever comes out. Some people talk about making clean saves but if they are implying anything other than a backup before a mod was installed they are simply wrong. The sin of a mod is indelible upon a save and can only be purged with fire.

SKSE only trims scripts that are registered in a specific way. Lots of other kinds of problems can crop up from bad scripts.

And the next thing you know you are relearning C++ because you want make a dll plugin so you can dynamically get the tempering recipe for whatever weapon the player has equipped because otherwise there is no way to know what materials they need to be able to temper it since you had to make a duplicate weapon to alter its stats since skyrim won't let you change a specific item's stats to make a skyrim signature weapons mod. And skyrim is crashing because you mixed something up since skse's source is sparsely commented at best. Mods. Not even once.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

The Mad Archivist posted:

SKSE's script-trimming function that helps deal with save bloat,

I've checked the OP, but can't find any information about what this is or how to activate it. Google didn't much help either.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

rypakal posted:

I've checked the OP, but can't find any information about what this is or how to activate it. Google didn't much help either.
You can enable it from the ingame console with "ClearInvalidRegistrations". If you want to enable on every save load, then under /Skyrim/Data/SKSE (create the SKSE folder if it doesn't exist), create a new file called "SKSE.ini" with this:
[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

Note that all this does it attempt to clean up orphaned OnUpdate and OnUpdateGameTime events left behind by missing scripts. It does not fix badly coded scripts. So if you have a broken mod that's causing bloat issues in your setup, you'll need to get rid of that mod first before this will do you any good.
Nor does it get rid of everything scripts and mods can leave behind in your save file. If you want to uninstal a script heavy mod, then unless the mod auther has setup an uninstal procedure or you know what you're doing, it's best to revert back to save from before you installed that mod.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I read a while ago about a mod that put greater emphasis on racial prejudice in the game. Does anyone know what I'm referring to? I think it added some overt racial tensions and subtle ones too, like certain merchants charging you more or less, and others outright attacking you or throwing you out for being "your kind". There's one that's specific to Windhelm, but the one I read about was looking at adding it across the province and being different in each region - places closer to Hammerfell would have different opinions on Redguard, closer to Morrowind have stronger opinions on Dunmer, etc. I don't know if they ever finished it but someone was working on it a while back and the concept sounded interesting.

Failing that, is there anything that overhauls faction relations? I'd love to see my actions make me hated/KoS by some people and loved by others, and actually have to work to gain favor and access in certain places. I seem to remember faction ratings being one of the things the original Everquest did pretty well.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm thinking of adding interesting NPCs mod to my game. I keep seeing mixed reactions on this thread regarding the quality, so i'm asking for an "updated" opinion. Is this mod solid at this point, or does it still feel like "these npcs were added to game by amatuers?"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

chaosapiant posted:

I'm thinking of adding interesting NPCs mod to my game. I keep seeing mixed reactions on this thread regarding the quality, so i'm asking for an "updated" opinion. Is this mod solid at this point, or does it still feel like "these npcs were added to game by amatuers?"

Personally, I really like it. Along with OBIS it really fleshes out the world. I've found a lot of, as the name implies, interesting NPCs throughout Skyrim that have some unexpected backstories. I randomly stumbled across this guy protecting a little girl from the Dark Brotherhood and hiding out in a mill, and just sat and listened to his story for a bit. I also found a sort of hippie-ish follower who makes little comments about her religion whenever we go to a place that's relevant to her. I was rooting through an abandoned tower and a Khajiit came out of the shadows and started talking to me about learning new fighting styles. I'm surprised at how much content there is for each, and where they're placed in the world. So far I haven't found a badly voice acted one yet; the worst I've found so far is "not entirely convincing but still pretty good".

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Last I tried it, it felt hit-or-miss. Most of the voice acting was okay, but some had noticeably "off" recording. Not horrible, but they stuck out. Some of the new NPCs added a lot of flavor, but a few were memorable in a bad way. There was a man in Wildhelm, the most racist city in Skyrim, that talked at length about his half-orc wife who also happened to be his daughter. There was no option to call him out. :gonk:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Sojourn posted:

In case anyone else needs to know; if you edit enbeffectprepass.fx in notepad (or notepad++ if you're feeling fancy) you just delete "#define AUTO_FOCUS" and voila!

If you hit shift-enter in game you can toggle some visual options, DOF and SSAO I think, and a few other items that I'm not actually sure the function of. That was how I disabled it.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

chaosapiant posted:

Some of them are really really really poo poo, but then again some of them are really really good. A specially the "Raven of Anvil" quest line is fantastic with some really good singing in it, here's a snippet: https://soundcloud.com/kris-takahashi/dusk-on-anvil-harbor-by-kelly

Most of the NPCs are pretty average voice actors, so they will generally be better than the vanilla voice actors. I just click as fast as i can through the lovely ones and see if any quests pop up. One of the better things about the mod is that it will generally take you to parts of Skyrim that you would never think to visit on your own instead of putting everything in Whiterun. Can get a bit annoying that they are so super super chatty compared to the vanilla dialogue trees, but all in all i recommend the mod.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 24, 2014

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah, Interesting NPCs has some really good bits, and the quests are often a lot better than the original game's. There are a few followers with full conversation trees that unfold as you play through the main quest as well, though I'm not sure how many.

There are stand out bad parts, but not because of the voice acting. Usually it's because they're ~so wacky and random~, like there's a nord who insists he's a giant, or a woman who sits in a cage because she likes meeting all the people who roll through and kill the local bandits. But there are just as many who do fit in, so I say go for it.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Does Skyrim have a soft-coded mod/plugin limit where the engine starts bursting into flames (more then usually at least) like Oblivion or Fallout 3/NV?

I'm asking because after installing STEP and a few things from the OP, I'm pushing 209 plugins in my load order.

ETPC fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 25, 2014

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ETPC posted:

Does Skyrim have a soft-coded mod/plugin limit where the engine starts bursting into flames (more then usually at least) like Oblivion or Fallout 3/NV?

I'm asking because after installing STEP and a few things from the OP, I'm pushing 209 plugins in my load order.

I believe it's still 255 like the previous games.

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

ETPC posted:

254 is the limit, 255 would have FF as the mod ID which conflicts with the games dynamic spawns.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Alright, noted. I'll stop myself around the 240 mark.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm intersted in using Interesting NPCs with Amazing Follower Tweaks. AFT has a "non-fmc" patch for iNPC. I have no idea what that means, or if it's needed. Do I need this patch to make these two mods compatible?

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

Yeah, Interesting NPCs has some really good bits, and the quests are often a lot better than the original game's. There are a few followers with full conversation trees that unfold as you play through the main quest as well, though I'm not sure how many.

There are stand out bad parts, but not because of the voice acting. Usually it's because they're ~so wacky and random~, like there's a nord who insists he's a giant, or a woman who sits in a cage because she likes meeting all the people who roll through and kill the local bandits. But there are just as many who do fit in, so I say go for it.

The Argonian who thinks hes "Dwarvenborn" with the power to break machinery simply by using it is great. Interesting NPCs is great.

(It does have some weird stuff, though.)

Alasyre fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 25, 2014

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Some people like to take the fun out of the game

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If anyone else is following the development of Luftahraan, which looks like it's going to be awesome, they just did a Reddit AMA.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

sticklefifer posted:

If anyone else is following the development of Luftahraan, which looks like it's going to be awesome, they just did a Reddit AMA.

That actually looks pretty awesome. I'll keep an eye on this :)

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
I'm having a weird issue with SKSE. I have it installed in my skyrim directory, yet all my SKSE mods are complaining I don't have it loaded. I am running the game through Mod Organizer and then through Skyrim Performance Monitor, though. Do I need to do something special with MO or SPM in order to load SKSE correctly?

Edit: Nevermind. I forgot to set SPM to use the SKSE loader.

Don't mod at 3AM.

ETPC fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 25, 2014

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

ETPC posted:

I'm having a weird issue with SKSE. I have it installed in my skyrim directory, yet all my SKSE mods are complaining I don't have it loaded. I am running the game through Mod Organizer and then through Skyrim Performance Monitor, though. Do I need to do something special with MO or SPM in order to load SKSE correctly?

Did you put the skse scripts in your skyrim data folder? The SKSE download will have the dlls and a data folder you need to merge into your skyrim data folder for the papyrus sripts to work. Alternately is Skyrim performance monitor starting skyrim or the skse launcher? You need to run skse_loader.exe for skse to work.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm having a SPERG issue. I took the perk to allow more then 5 levels of training. Then I trained about 30 pts of Alteration. That worked great. Now, however, each trainer only allows me to train 5 pts per level again. I checked the readme but can't find anything on this. Has this happened to anyone else?

Update: I think I fixed it by resetting the speech perk tree in Apocrypha and re-enabling the perk. I can train 99 times per level now.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 25, 2014

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Do I want to load Morrowloot before or after OBIS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I really like Brhuce Hammar.

• Locked thread