Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
Most of those direct entry accelerated programs will not allow you to work during the program due to time constraints. Going from an outside degree to APRN is a HUGE leap to make in 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Sounds like it's structured like a PA program, except for NPs.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Erysipelothrix posted:

It's a direct entry program for people with non nursing bachelors degrees. I will receive my BSN the first year and continue for the MSN the next 2 years.
I thought all NP programs had to be DNP programs now.

Lava Lamp posted:

That sounds weird to me. Other schools require rn exp before applying to np school, and I kind of wonder how safe it is to have pcp with not as much clinical experience.
It sounds weird to me, too, though some of the people from my 2nd degree BSN went straight to NP school too.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Ravenfood posted:

I thought all NP programs had to be DNP programs now.

It is supposed to be that way, some day...

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Content removed.

edit: Recent posts have made it clear that few if any think the guide is helpful to nurses and are offended I posted it here. My intention was to collect feedback from nurses and I can PM the link to the article for anyone interested in doing that. My intention was to use the feedback to revise the article before paying for sponsored ads on social media. It was not to self-promote the article on the SA forums. Goons can smell that kind of stuff from a mile away and I already promote my service with a paid sticky thread in the SA Mart and lots of banner ads in the forum footer. I apologize for sending the wrong message.

R2ICustomerSupport fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 2, 2014

Dirp
May 16, 2007

DustingDuvet posted:

I want to share a 3,000+ word guide I wrote about writing resumes for nurses with sample content included. It is intended as an actionable guide covering nursing summary sentences, content development, nursing volunteer and rotations, nursing skills, and nursing job advice for those with little to no experience. If any nursing Goons have any feedback it would be really helpful before I promote this article to the masses.

Create a Nurse Resume in Five Easy Steps: A Practical and Actionable Guide to Resume Writing for Nurses

Mods: If it's not okay to post this I will remove the link immediately.

"I've applied to 1500 jobs in Southern California and not one single callback! This economy is so terrible for a new grad nurse!"

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

White Chocolate posted:

It is supposed to be that way, some day...

AFAIK, unless my instructors have all been lying furiously to us, the last chance you have to graduate with a MSN and a NP license is this year. So if you want to be a NP and wont graduate until at leat 2015, you have to get your DNP instead of just MSN.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

DustingDuvet posted:

I want to share a 3,000+ word guide I wrote about writing resumes for nurses with sample content included. It is intended as an actionable guide covering nursing summary sentences, content development, nursing volunteer and rotations, nursing skills, and nursing job advice for those with little to no experience. If any nursing Goons have any feedback it would be really helpful before I promote this article to the masses.

Create a Nurse Resume in Five Easy Steps: A Practical and Actionable Guide to Resume Writing for Nurses

I had a poor experience with your service. To the extent that I could not recommend it to other nurses. I'll write more on it this evening when I get to a proper desktop instead of my phone.

*To be fair, you're asking about the article. I'll give my feedback on that too.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 1, 2014

Dirp
May 16, 2007

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

AFAIK, unless my instructors have all been lying furiously to us, the last chance you have to graduate with a MSN and a NP license is this year. So if you want to be a NP and wont graduate until at leat 2015, you have to get your DNP instead of just MSN.

They have and you're wrong.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

DustingDuvet posted:

I want to share a 3,000+ word guide I wrote about writing resumes for nurses with sample content included.

Considering this is your only post in this thread, it's not really appreciated. Are you a nurse, a shill for that website or what.

Edit: Upon further review; Get Out.

Roki B fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 2, 2014

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

DustingDuvet posted:

quote:

More specifically, are you having trouble with your ER Nurse resume, Graduate Nurse resume, Registered Nurse resume, Staff Nurse Resume, or even your Nursing Student resume?

I see you there, Google keywords!

This guide is terrible, but would it help anyone to see examples of actual resumes? I can post a demo one if there's interest.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.

Atma McCuddles posted:

I see you there, Google keywords!

This guide is terrible, but would it help anyone to see examples of actual resumes? I can post a demo one if there's interest.

Actually, yes. I was considering his service, but after seeing this I am rethinking it. I am a new nurse with right at 1 year under my belt and I am starting to explore other options for specialties. I was screwed when I was hired into my current position ( I was hired for ICU or CCU but was pulled at the last minute to a Long Term Acute Care that my company owns) It has been good experience but I think it is time to move on. I am not sure of how to redo my resume.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

quote:

Guide is stupid

Can you all go into more detail as to why? I've used Jason's services before and it has been phenomenal. Was able to land a position in the highly competitive gaming industry before I decided to switch to nursing school.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
So the nursing school I am going to wants me to wear "nursing shoes".

However I am
A) tall male
B) size 14 foot

And I usually have to go to a specialty store to get shoes in my size.

How big of a deal will this make for clinicals? Otherwise I would just wear my blue or my neon yellow nike frees.

One of the staff said that they were a stickler for it but the uniform store only had up to a 12.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

White Chocolate posted:

However I am
A) tall male
B) size 14 foot

How big of a deal will this make for clinicals? Otherwise I would just wear my blue or my neon yellow nike frees.

One of the staff said that they were a stickler for it but the uniform store only had up to a 12.

It really depends on how much of a stickler your instructor is. For my school the only requirements were that the shoes had to be white leather. Tried out some Danskos and they are absolutely horrible for me since I have flat feet. I ended up getting some white skater shoes and never had any problems and they were comfy to boot.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

White Chocolate posted:

I'd talk to the school/your clinical instructor. We were supposed to wear all-white shoes, but I just talked to my clinical instructor and asked if I could wear the all-black shoes I'd previously bought for tech work. I'd avoid neon yellow and try to go for black tennis shoes if you can, but I can't imagine most instructors being assholes about it as long as they weren't super bright colors.

I don't know what the hell "nursing shoes" are, though, since 90% of the nurses I work with wear some variation of sneakers and only a rare few wear Danskos.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Ravenfood posted:

I don't know what the hell "nursing shoes" are, though, since 90% of the nurses I work with wear some variation of sneakers and only a rare few wear Danskos.

AFAIK, they are supposed to be non porous. Some places are sticklers about that, but it varies greatly.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Try to find a pair of all-white shoes, regardless of style (if white is the preferred color). Our school highly recommended non-porous shoes but the main concern was uniformity to look professional. If your instructors make a fuss about the style or material, at least you have the correct color and can explain your situation then. But don't wear blue or neon color shoes, it's not as if your situation is impossible to remedy.

I really like K Swiss and they have men's styles in all-white that go up to size 15. Like this one...

http://www.kswiss.com/shop/footwear/0001-136/Men/Classic_Luxury_Edtn/WHITE_GOLD_GUM/tree

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
"Nursing shoes"

What a loving joke.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Nursing Shoes are serious business. I know I can't critically think without my white dress and clogs on.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
I actually require a nursing banana hammock in all glistening sparkle-white to be able to do my job professionally.

Dansko's gave my wife a bone spur thingy on the top of her foot. "Break them in" they said. After a year she gave up.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Roki B posted:

Dansko's gave my wife a bone spur thingy on the top of her foot. "Break them in" they said. After a year she gave up.

Dansko shoes made my feet and knees hurt horribly and I kept rolling my ankles because it's like having your feet loosely tied to a slippery three inch plank. People have actually broken bones in their feet/ankles because of them.

White Chocolate, when you are actually working as a nurse you can wear whatever the hell shoes you want, but since you're just starting nursing school you should try to comply as much as possible to avoid causing any rifts right away.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I wore white New Balance walking shoes in school. They were comfy.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Koivunen posted:

Try to find a pair of all-white shoes, regardless of style (if white is the preferred color). Our school highly recommended non-porous shoes but the main concern was uniformity to look professional. If your instructors make a fuss about the style or material, at least you have the correct color and can explain your situation then. But don't wear blue or neon color shoes, it's not as if your situation is impossible to remedy.

I really like K Swiss and they have men's styles in all-white that go up to size 15. Like this one...

http://www.kswiss.com/shop/footwear/0001-136/Men/Classic_Luxury_Edtn/WHITE_GOLD_GUM/tree
Just saying I bought a pair of these guys thanks to this thread, and they are loving fantastic.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Roki B posted:

I actually require a nursing banana hammock in all glistening sparkle-pink to be able to do my job professionally.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
Wear Vans, walk happy.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
We used to have to wear white shoes then my hospital system got on a serious health kick and had some shoe sales. They sold all these colors of normal people shoes. Now I can wear my red nikes no problem. If only I can eventually get rid of this stupid white uniform.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Weebly posted:

We used to have to wear white shoes then my hospital system got on a serious health kick and had some shoe sales. They sold all these colors of normal people shoes. Now I can wear my red nikes no problem. If only I can eventually get rid of this stupid white uniform.

Hahahaha white uniforms are the highest form of condescension from a hospital.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

K-Swiss "nurse shoe" guy checking in!

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

I alternate between a pair of Reebok RealFlex and a pair of K-Swiss Tubes. They both come in "nursing school" white. You should really consider switching between a couple of different shoes so you don't jack your feet up.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Roki B posted:

Hahahaha white uniforms are the highest form of condescension from a hospital.

I don't get the white uniform thing, of all colors why the hell would you want a nurse to wear white? "Here, let's make it as easy as possible to see all the bodily fluids I've dealt with this shift."

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yarbald posted:

I don't get the white uniform thing, of all colors why the hell would you want a nurse to wear white? "Here, let's make it as easy as possible to see all the bodily fluids I've dealt with this shift."

White can be bleached, and looks sharp and gives an impression of cleanliness.

That said, any hospital that has its nurses in white uniforms instead of some color of scrubs needs to get the gently caress out of the 1950s already.

mary brooke
Oct 12, 2005

i'm not mad, i'm furious!

Koivunen posted:

Dansko shoes made my feet and knees hurt horribly and I kept rolling my ankles because it's like having your feet loosely tied to a slippery three inch plank. People have actually broken bones in their feet/ankles because of them.

White Chocolate, when you are actually working as a nurse you can wear whatever the hell shoes you want, but since you're just starting nursing school you should try to comply as much as possible to avoid causing any rifts right away.

I used to love my Dansko's so so much. I have hip/knee problems and they made me feel great. Then one day I fell and twisted my ankle rushing into my patient's room to check on an alarm (they actually ended up coding like 5 minutes later). I didn't get hurt badly at all, but it was super embarrassing and I had enough to worry about at the time. After that, I switched to sneakers and never looked back.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Koivunen posted:

Thanks for this! The K-Swiss Classics (not "luxury") looks pretty good in white, and aren't that expensive. Anyone got the Classics and know how comfortable they are? Doesn't seem like they sell the "luxury edition" in Europe.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

mary brooke posted:

I used to love my Dansko's so so much. I have hip/knee problems and they made me feel great. Then one day I fell and twisted my ankle rushing into my patient's room to check on an alarm (they actually ended up coding like 5 minutes later). I didn't get hurt badly at all, but it was super embarrassing and I had enough to worry about at the time. After that, I switched to sneakers and never looked back.

I did this when I was a tech. Luckily the patient was out of the room and I was going in to clean up while they were gone. Nurse called my name and I turned around and *BAM* I am on my knees with my glasses on the floor.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:
Have not been in this thread in a while. I tried search and got nothing.
Did anyone here do the "Pearson Vue trick" after taking the NCLEX? Did it work as promised by nursing message boards found through a quick Google search, or did you have something strange happen with it?

I'm taking the NCLEX-RN in two days. My state is one that does allow you to pay $8 for results after 48 hours, so I'll definitely be doing that. But I will also be on my phone immediately after the exam trying to get that "good pop-up."

2 days :ohdear:

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

whatshesaid posted:

Have not been in this thread in a while. I tried search and got nothing.
Did anyone here do the "Pearson Vue trick" after taking the NCLEX? Did it work as promised by nursing message boards found through a quick Google search, or did you have something strange happen with it?

I'm taking the NCLEX-RN in two days. My state is one that does allow you to pay $8 for results after 48 hours, so I'll definitely be doing that. But I will also be on my phone immediately after the exam trying to get that "good pop-up."

2 days :ohdear:

The Pearson Vue thing worked for me, I checked maybe an hour after my NCLEX and wasn't able to reregister. It was confirmed on my Board of Nursing's verification site a couple days later.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Yeah I did the trick like 5 years ago and it worked for me.

squirreltactic
Sep 17, 2003
My wife did the trick just a couple weeks ago and it worked. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
I got accepted! I start in the fall! As long as I can get checked off on washing hoohas in summer skills class...