Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Joeslop posted:

Has there ever been a really good heel vs heel match? Not one where one is the face for just that match, but both of them going full on heel the whole time? Eye gouges, cheap shots, weapons etc.

I thought Jericho vs Raven from Halloween Havoc 98 was really great but it isn't full of heel tactics.

For two guys just cheating and being dicks to each other the best option is Kevin Steen vs Davey Richards from ROH's Double Feature in 2008. Steen is technically a face by this point but the match is full of ball shots and great heeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

My default example of a good heel - heel match is Shawn Michaels - Rick Martel at Summerslam 92. Just so much fun.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I know it's a pretty polarizing match, but I still think HHH/Angle at the '01 Rumble is good.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

anakha posted:

My default example of a good heel - heel match is Shawn Michaels - Rick Martel at Summerslam 92. Just so much fun.

This was going to be my answer. It's the only memorable one to me.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ric Flair vs. Kurt Angle was weird, if not exactly good. It is the birthplace of the testicular claw, which has been in every WWE game since then even though it was never used again, ever, and made no sense as a legal move.

E: That episode also features a woo-off and Triple H getting comically upset at "gimmick infringement" and trying not to corpse when Angle talks about making out with Stephanie.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xecpm_kurt-angle-draft-to-raw_news

Name Change fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 24, 2014

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I thought Foley did that move a bunch and that's why it was in games.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Foley wrote about doing that move to Patterson in one of his books, and his dad finding it the funniest thing he'd ever seen.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Snacksmaniac posted:

I thought Foley did that move a bunch and that's why it was in games.

That was the first year it was in the game and it was Ric Flair's finisher. Kinda like how Kane did a powerbomb for like a month in 2001 or something and had a powerbomb in the games for like six years.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

That was the first year it was in the game and it was Ric Flair's finisher. Kinda like how Kane did a powerbomb for like a month in 2001 or something and had a powerbomb in the games for like six years.

This is mostly because of how goddamn big the move list for individual wrestlers is in those games.

With the moves Kane has now could you fill four directional grapples and four grapples off of that? I think 2k13 even has more then that, because it has press ins, doesn't it?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Ric Flair vs. Kurt Angle was weird, if not exactly good. It is the birthplace of the testicular claw, which has been in every WWE game since then even though it was never used again, ever, and made no sense as a legal move.

E: That episode also features a woo-off and Triple H getting comically upset at "gimmick infringement" and trying not to corpse when Angle talks about making out with Stephanie.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xecpm_kurt-angle-draft-to-raw_news

Jesus was there no a/c in that arena?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Luigi Thirty posted:

I read reports saying Vince stormed out of the arena and was ready to fire Arn (the agent) on the spot until Cena cooled him down after that match.

And supposedly Cena took the heat for it and said the piledriver was his idea, because he knew Vince would never punish him and Punk wasn't protected like that. Cena's kind of a cool dude off camera. I just wish he was more outspoken against bad ideas or a bigger mouthpiece for the locker room's frustrations, because he's the only one who's in a position to do it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
If Steve Austin had stayed with ECW and done AJPW tours in the late 90s instead of going to the WWF, do the WWF or WCW still exist today?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DangerKat posted:

Jesus was there no a/c in that arena?

They host AHL games there, but it's a drat tiny arena to begin with. ~6K seats.

Kinda pissed I missed that Raw, I saw a a house show there in college.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Bigass Moth posted:

If Steve Austin had stayed with ECW and done AJPW tours in the late 90s instead of going to the WWF, do the WWF or WCW still exist today?

I think the situation would be the same. WCW's closure has more to do with a collection of stupid booking mistakes, losing a fuckton of money and new head of Turner not wanting wrestling on their stations. I don't think Austin in ECW would impact that.

NotQuiteQuentin fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 24, 2014

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Bigass Moth posted:

Montreal still happens, creating a Mr. McMahon character, so history doesn't change. They just make a different archenemy for McMahon.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

Triple A would be the biggest promotion in north america today.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

IronCladBurrito posted:

Montreal still happens, creating a Mr. McMahon character, so history doesn't change. They just make a different archenemy for McMahon.

If McMahon doesn't have a new #1 babyface in Austin there's no guarantee business turns around when the IYH prices get raised. There's also no guarantee McMahon would see the Hart contract as an anchor at this point and even if he did he'd make even more of an effort to keep him after the turnaround.

Hidden Mother
Nov 12, 2012
Who's the absolute worst wrestler (taking into account ring work, promo ability, natural charisma) to get a main event push? Khali?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Certainly the worst I've ever seen.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
Yea, I really can't think of anyone worse than Khali, even in TNA

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't know how they compare to Khali, having seen only a couple of their matches, but Giant Gonzales and Loch Ness were really loving bad.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Hidden Mother posted:

Who's the absolute worst wrestler (taking into account ring work, promo ability, natural charisma) to get a main event push? Khali?

Khalis charismatic as hell.

Surely it would be someone with a much shorter carrer, like a Giant Gonzales

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Gonzales was basically Khali without the charisma. So, so horrible.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't know how they compare to Khali, having seen only a couple of their matches, but Giant Gonzales and Loch Ness were really loving bad.

Giant Gonzales never was made a world champion. Although apparently he was better than 388 wrestlers in 1991, according to PWI.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I was going to say he was probably in main event matches in WCW, I just can't remember them.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Q_res posted:

Gonzales was basically Khali without the charisma. So, so horrible.

Taff posted:

Khalis charismatic as hell.

The gently caress are y'all on

How is mumbling incoherently on air and posting pathetic tweets of him by heself in public places charismatic

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Yuriy posted:

How is mumbling incoherently on air and posting pathetic tweets of him by heself in public places charismatic

If you dont think hes charismatic then I'm not sure what to say. He shows more personality than much of the roster, and hes better on the mic than Daniel Bryan.

crackage
Sep 20, 2004

by Ralp

Taff posted:

If you dont think hes charismatic then I'm not sure what to say. He shows more personality than much of the roster, and hes better on the mic than Daniel Bryan.

push tyson kidd and khali

the new iwc has arrived

crackage fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 24, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Hockles posted:

Giant Gonzales never was made a world champion. Although apparently he was better than 388 wrestlers in 1991, according to PWI.
He actually had a title feud with Flair, but he only main-evented on TV.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I find Khali hilarious and I don't mind him on TV at all as long as he's not wrestling. Keep him out of the ring except for the requisite few "Oh no, how will anyone eliminate Khali from this battle royale/Royal Rumble? Oh yeah, a light clothesline because he's tall as gently caress" per year.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Khali was actually pretty great in Get Smart, better than WWE alum The Rock who was also in that movie and not very good.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Khali was in things other than The Longest Yard?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

sticklefifer posted:

I find Khali hilarious and I don't mind him on TV at all as long as he's not wrestling. Keep him out of the ring except for the requisite few "Oh no, how will anyone eliminate Khali from this battle royale/Royal Rumble? Oh yeah, a light clothesline because he's tall as gently caress" per year.

Yeah, Khali's best suited for Battle Royals, because not only is he great for the inevitable "Eliminate the giant man," spot, but when he comes into a crowded ring and starts throwing out Brain Chops it sells him as still a monster without him really having to even move very much, so eliminating him always gives the guy something of a rub.

I also don't mind Khali in comedy matches/spots. Charming the Cobra was classic. His recent match on NXT where he squashed that annoying Environmental Protection guy was entertaining. Pretty much anything where he can get away with standing around and only doing a couple moves because it's funny is Khali's appropriate wheelhouse.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That pretty much got Andre the Giant by in the last days when he was crippled. Stand in the corner, let Haku do all the work, get in long enough to headbutt someone and murder them. Hell, it got him over as *more* of a monster since he was booked that one move could do people in.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Yuriy posted:

I think you should reread what I posted, because you clearly didn't understand it.

edit: In the interest of not being a complete dick. You're taking my post as a statement of how charismatic I find Khali, which it isn't.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 25, 2014

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Giant Gonzalez' chokeslam has the least air of any big man chokeslam I've ever seen.

Does Dragon Gate do ippvs or anything? I want to watch one of their latest events but I don't really know where to look.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LvK posted:

Giant Gonzalez' chokeslam has the least air of any big man chokeslam I've ever seen.

Does Dragon Gate do ippvs or anything? I want to watch one of their latest events but I don't really know where to look.

They do iPPVs through ustream.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

LvK posted:

The Dead or Alive show last month some are calling the show of the year so far? That was an ippv but is no longer available for streaming.

RealHero has it up on DailyMotion, here's the first match

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1tg7id_cyber-kong-kzy-vs-uhaa-nation-shachihoko-boy-dragon-gate_sport

If you want to support them for running cool shows, a Korakuen card on June 6th is their next PPV.
http://www.ustream.tv/dragongate

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Thauros posted:

The Dead or Alive show last month some are calling the show of the year so far? That was an ippv but is no longer available for streaming.

RealHero has it up on DailyMotion, here's the first match

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1tg7id_cyber-kong-kzy-vs-uhaa-nation-shachihoko-boy-dragon-gate_sport

If you want to support them for running cool shows, a Korakuen card on June 6th is their next PPV.
http://www.ustream.tv/dragongate

That was exactly it, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

joshtothemaxx posted:

Edit: don't care about pedo Lawler anymore

Fake edit: to get away from goons and pedophiles, what evidence is there that Vince actually still yells in the commentators earpiece? It's become a bit of an assumed trope at this point to excuse Cole et al.

At 51:52 of the second video, Cole asks McMahon about a talking point. He said: "Do you want me to say that every time, because I've said it a shitload of times tonight."

Vince's reply isn't heard, but Cole immediately replies: "OK...yes sir...yes sir...OK, I've got it sir."