Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
The cool thing about portraits is that you don't need super high contrast or ultra sharpness wide open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

caberham posted:

Oh I cracked my 85 1.2 don't be an idiot like me.

I immediately went and hugged my 85 1.2 after seeing this. That sucks so bad :(

I still also have the 85 1.8 because I think it's much better for anything that moves at all. Nothing wrong with the nifty fifty except the focus (speed and noise).

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004
Wow, pretty much an even split between the 50mm & 40mm. I guess I could always drop the $300 and get both but then why not just get a better lens or the $300? This hobby is going to put me in the poor house. Thanks for the advice, fellas.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

smooth.operator posted:

Wow, pretty much an even split between the 50mm & 40mm. I guess I could always drop the $300 and get both but then why not just get a better lens or the $300? This hobby is going to put me in the poor house. Thanks for the advice, fellas.

As long as you are having fun and enjoying what you are doing! Gear talk for us hobbyists is water cooler talk. If anything goes wrong you can always sell or trade it away.

Then there's bigger bodies, travel bags, pelican cases, tripods, tripod heads, flash units, remote triggers etc.

Oh yeah then you might get into film after all that shebang.

Then you might spring for nex
Or smart phone camera.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
I have the 40 2.8 and recently it's spending as much time on my camera as my 24-105L, 100L macro, or 70-300L do combined. It's fantastic on full frame.

Get it.

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004

ShotgunWillie posted:

I have the 40 2.8 and recently it's spending as much time on my camera as my 24-105L, 100L macro, or 70-300L do combined. It's fantastic on full frame.

Get it.

I have a crop sensor :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Still better than the 50 :]

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

smooth.operator posted:

I have a crop sensor :(

It's even better on crop? :-)

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

ShotgunWillie posted:

It's even better on crop? :-)

+1 - Little tight, but as long as you're not trying to take indoor photos of groups of 10 people it's really not THAT big of a deal. It's a superb little lens.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Set your 17-50 to 40mm and walk around with it like that, and see if you like that focal length. Then do the same thing with the 17-50 set to 50mm. Buy the one you liked better, or if you didn't like being stuck at a single focal length, save the money and keep using your 17-50.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I did this with my 18-55 and the 50 prime.

the 50 prime was much easier to get the shots i wanted with and it felt like it was doing something my other lens couldnt do (besides the much wider aperture).

I took a picture on each from the same position and the 50 prime won out every time.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I've been super pleased with the 40mm on a crop sensor (SL1) as a newbie, fwiw. It has only felt too tight in a couple situations, otherwise it's quick and sharp, and makes casually carrying the camera around much easier than with the kit lens.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
I didn't find the 40 tight at all on a recent trip to Rome with my 7d. All I carried for that trip was the 10-22 and the 40 and didn't notice or get bothered by that focal range gap.

What sold me on this lens over the nifty 50( other then the fact that I have a Sigma 50 f1.4(non art,))was the quality of construction on the 40mm vs the nifty 50. I just didn't want a lens with a noted glass jaw on a trip where if the lens went down I would have a big focal length hole.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
You guys have been helpful over the last year or so as I've upgraded my gear. I feel like I haven't lived up to my end of the bargain. Therefore, here are some pictures of cattes.Canon 6D Tamron 24-70 VC and 70-200 VC

IMG_1297
IMG_1301

and 70-200 VC

IMG_1321
IMG_1297

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What would a decent price be for a used XSi-range Canon body be? I've got a friend who's interested in photography and wants to come with me to some events but only has her camera phone, and dropping a tiny amount on a backup body wouldn't be a bad idea for me anyway. I'm set as far as lens' go for two people.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

GobiasIndustries posted:

What would a decent price be for a used XSi-range Canon body be?

I'd check completed sales on Ebay, but maybe $100?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Check on KEH, too. And depending on your budget, that could be a 30D or 40D too.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Got my 5D classic last week. Having a lot of fun with it! Amazing what moving to a full frame will do, it's like night and day from my t3i.

I have the cheapo 50mm and a 40mm... any other lenses I should be keeping an eye out for portraits? Or am I good? I do some studio stuff and a lot of outdoors. No scenery or such, really.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I tend to shoot full-frame portraits with my 70-200 and end up in the 80-100mm range most of the time. Consider an 85mm f/1.8.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Mt 85 1.8 is my favourite portrait lens. I sometimes use my 100 2.8, but 90% of the time it's my 85. I'd love a 1.2 someday.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I like the 135/2 for portraits. The 85/1.8 is good too, but the CA is pretty bad when it's wide open. I'd kill for an 85/1.2.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Bubbacub posted:

I like the 135/2 for portraits. The 85/1.8 is good too, but the CA is pretty bad when it's wide open. I'd kill for an 85/1.2.

True, but CA is easily dealt with in post. Doesn't bother me much.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
Seconding 135/2. It's the best, buy it before Canon releases an IS version for 1,800$

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
I'm planning on a big purchase later this summer and have settled on two lens I know I will get a lot of use out of, the MP-E 65mm and the 100mm f/2.8L IS. These two cover macro well enough of course, which is my main focus, and the 100mm is great for portraits, from my understanding.

Question is, what's a good walk around lens? Is there an all-in-one that's around $800-1200 that I could be looking at? I'm currently using an APS-C body, but the only reason I can see myself upgrading would be to move to full frame, so that's not likely to happen right now.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

I'm planning on a big purchase later this summer and have settled on two lens I know I will get a lot of use out of, the MP-E 65mm and the 100mm f/2.8L IS.

Just to confirm, you know that the MP-E has a minimum magnification of 1:1 right? It can't be focused on anything farther than about 5 inches away. It's a bad rear end tool for macro but it's very special purpose.

Another option that a general walk around may be the new 24-70 f/4. It has a surprisingly high max magnification. Like 1:0.45 as I recall.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'm planning on a big purchase later this summer and have settled on two lens I know I will get a lot of use out of, the MP-E 65mm and the 100mm f/2.8L IS. These two cover macro well enough of course, which is my main focus, and the 100mm is great for portraits, from my understanding.

Question is, what's a good walk around lens? Is there an all-in-one that's around $800-1200 that I could be looking at? I'm currently using an APS-C body, but the only reason I can see myself upgrading would be to move to full frame, so that's not likely to happen right now.
35/2IS or Sig 50 Art.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Get the Canon 17-55/ 2.8 IS USM. It's a great walk around lens for APS-C

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
The 100mm won't be a very good portrait lens on APS-C unless you're either outside all the time or shooting in big enough rooms.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Prime: Sigma 30mm 1.4
Zoom: Sigma 18-35 1.8

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
I upgraded to a 6d about a month ago and i can't believe how much it's made me love photography again - i take it everywhere! The only problem was i didn't have anything wider than 50mm, which i must admit wasn't nearly as constraining as i thought it would be. I had been looking around for deals on a walkaround zoom lens and just found a bgn grade 24-105fl f4 for $540 on keh! Now if i can just get a good deal on a cpl ill be set!

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

Graniteman posted:

Just to confirm, you know that the MP-E has a minimum magnification of 1:1 right? It can't be focused on anything farther than about 5 inches away. It's a bad rear end tool for macro but it's very special purpose.

Another option that a general walk around may be the new 24-70 f/4. It has a surprisingly high max magnification. Like 1:0.45 as I recall.

Yes, I'm an amateur entomologist and am buying the 65 specifically for stacked macro shots. The 100mm would be more for in situ bug shots, and then portraits, etc.

evil_bunnY posted:

35/2IS or Sig 50 Art.

Just one of those would really cover landscapes, candids, etc? I know they're well regarded lenses, but I want something to put on my camera for a "I don't know what's going to happen" kind of day.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Some people don't like the idea of a prime being their walk around lens, but personally my default is my sigma 35A. If I know I need the range then I'll bring the 24-105L.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

85 1.8 should be one of those lenses all Canon owners look into, the quality is amazing for the price.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Mightaswell posted:

Some people don't like the idea of a prime being their walk around lens, but personally my default is my sigma 35A. If I know I need the range then I'll bring the 24-105L.

Same here with the Sigma, but I toss in a 135/2 in my bag too because it's really compact for a medium-long lens.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

85 1.8 should be one of those lenses all Canon owners look into, the quality is amazing for the price.

The quality is also amazing for how tiny it is!

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I shot some portraits of coworkers for the company website using this lens, and I was amazed at how nice they turned out.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Just one of those would really cover landscapes, candids, etc? I know they're well regarded lenses, but I want something to put on my camera for a "I don't know what's going to happen" kind of day.

35mm equivalent is a great "I don't know what's going to happen" FL. Wide enough for most amateur architecture or landscape type stuff, not so wide that portraits are impractical. I find it's possible to cover 95% of my shooting with 2 focal lengths, 3 tops. 28+50 equivalent or 35+105 or something along those lines. In Canon the obvious long lens is the 85mm.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Depends whether you prefer glass speed or focal flexibility!
A used Tamron 17-50/2.8 is rarely a bad idea; when you move to a FF sensor sell it at no/little loss and grab a 24-70 VC.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 3, 2014

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Bubbacub posted:

I'd kill for an 85/1.2.

Look into the Sigma 85 1.4. Its about half the price and just as sharp with much less purple fringing. Sigma is going to announce a new Art version later this year, too, so the used price should fall even more for the current version.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The 1.2 lenses have vanishingly small use cases. Just get the Sigmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Get the 100mm f2