Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

Vertigo posted:

Last night was a growler night.

We went with Green Flash's Road Warrior (Palate Wrecker had just kicked).

Man, I could drink their IPAs all year long. I always forget about them.

Yeah I really like Road Warrior, it has just the right amount of rye spiciness that it goes great with the hop bitterness. It's also beautiful looking, great color and lacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

Yeah I really like Road Warrior, it has just the right amount of rye spiciness that it goes great with the hop bitterness. It's also beautiful looking, great color and lacing.

It was super nice. Wish I had another glass or two in there.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

I had never heard of Mexican cake until the last few weeks with with tons of ISO/FT posts.

Really want to try it now.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Treehouse Julius is just fantastic. Absolutely worth the effort of getting up early on a Saturday.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Canned White Oak Jai Alai is here. Gonna go try and drown myself in it to have the most delicious death ever.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Vertigo posted:

Last night was a growler night.

We went with Green Flash's Road Warrior (Palate Wrecker had just kicked).

Man, I could drink their IPAs all year long. I always forget about them.

A bunch of Palate Wrecker was in the mix-a-six for $9 fridge at my local grocery store for a while. Now that's a real value. West Coast IPA was really good too but I thought Imperial IPA was disgusting. have you had that one?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Haven't done a whole lot of beer stuff yet on my Seattle vacation, but Brouwers Cafe may be in the cards tonight. After seeing their bottle list...I may have to evaluate the importance of money in my life. Goddamn.

Also, did an in-person trade last night that landed me a half-dozen De Garde bottles, a bourbon Abominable, Adam From The Wood, a Peche n Brett, and a White Truffle Gose. Won't have a whole lot of room to bring additional bottles back, so the Hommage on Brouwer's menu may have to be mine...

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

crazyfish posted:

Haven't done a whole lot of beer stuff yet on my Seattle vacation, but Brouwers Cafe may be in the cards tonight. After seeing their bottle list...I may have to evaluate the importance of money in my life. Goddamn.

Also, did an in-person trade last night that landed me a half-dozen De Garde bottles, a bourbon Abominable, Adam From The Wood, a Peche n Brett, and a White Truffle Gose. Won't have a whole lot of room to bring additional bottles back, so the Hommage on Brouwer's menu may have to be mine...

Go to Bottleworks and take a look at the on premise menu before you drop money on Brouwer's by the way. I meant to post on your TB thread.

e: a week ago
http://imgur.com/3Wdcznc

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

swickles posted:

Canned White Oak Jai Alai is here. Gonna go try and drown myself in it to have the most delicious death ever.

It's really good, picked up some last weekend. I'm kinda excited for horchata.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
I'm pretty liberal with IPA freshness, but drinking a bunch of servings of something fresh and then having more a few months later is kind of making me understand why some people lose their minds and go over the top with saying that stuff is poo poo after 30 days or whatever. I'm having some Chillwave now (best by 5/6) and while it's still delicious, it's noticeably less amazing than it was in early March. Maharaja was another one that "fell off" pretty surprisingly. I also tried samples of Hopslam and Sucks last week that my friend stocked up on too much of, and the difference was really bizarre. Hopslam was all honey and Sucks tasted the same as its true self, but super muted. Am I going to turn into one of "those" people now?? I always lament our poor distribution up here (except when it comes to limited releases by Bells, Founders and other MI breweries) but fresh beer is nearly impossible. The distributors hang onto things forever (Black Note and KBS kept reappearing on shelves for like a month each). We JUST NOW got Founders Centennial that was bottled later than October of last year. YAAAAAA

Horchata Jai Alai?? :pwn:

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

air- posted:

Go to Bottleworks and take a look at the on premise menu before you drop money on Brouwer's by the way. I meant to post on your TB thread.

e: a week ago
http://imgur.com/3Wdcznc

I didn't look at the menu you linked, but I'm here now. At first I was disappointed in the store compared to beer junction, but then I saw the on premise menu and...uh...I'm skulling a consecration batch 1. Before dinner. Goddamn!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

krustster posted:

Horchata Jai Alai?? :pwn:

Just an ale, I love both Mexican and Spanish horchata so I'm kinda pumped for it.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
So is thumbprint Berliner available is Wisc now? Is there a good 'from Chicago' place to barely cross the boarder to buy a bunch?
...or did I miss it already haha

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

ChiTownEddie posted:

So is thumbprint Berliner available is Wisc now? Is there a good 'from Chicago' place to barely cross the boarder to buy a bunch?

I grabbed a ton of it last weekend. Woodmans Kenosha had a lot left and are the closest place to get New Glarus afaik. I'd call ahead though just in case.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

krustster posted:

I'm having some Chillwave now (best by 5/6) and while it's still delicious, it's noticeably less amazing than it was in early March.

I encountered this for the first time with Chillwave as well. I had some in bottles March and it owned bones. I had some on draft at Easter and it was notably less tropical.

On the other hand, I put a session ale in bottles today that had a great tropical aroma, and tasted pretty decent from the last couple ounces in the bottling bucket, so I'm optimistic.
:coolfish:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ChiTownEddie posted:

I'm trying to homebrew a berliner for the first time. If I end up failing, I'll just need to track down a case of berliner.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Vertigo posted:

I had never heard of Mexican cake until the last few weeks with with tons of ISO/FT posts.

Really want to try it now.

My opinion is that it's a very nice chili stout, but the hype for it is way higher than what it's worth. I went to the release cause I had the day off and I'd never been to Westbrook and in order to pick up some Gose as much as for MC. If I'd gotten the full 12, I'd be offering some to trade here, but I've already got commitments from some local guys for the ones I did get.

They had a Gose Gone Wild on tap at the brewery that is apparently going to be/is already distributed as a collab with Stillwater through 12%, and if they'd had an option of buying 6 bombers of it instead of 6 of Mexican Cake, I'd have jumped on it in a second. It's basically their gose with a big dose of brett, and I thought it was fantastic. So if you get 12% distribution in your area, be on the lookout for it.

Got to taste some of AVBC's Gose today and picked up a 6 pack of it. From the tasting, it was a very nice, easy drinking gose. Nothing on the level of Westbrook's craziness, but definitely worth picking up.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
AVBC meaning Anderson Valley? I haven't had anything from them I'd consider worth buying over any local brewery personally. Their Belgians particularly are a mess.

I bought a growler of Mad Elf yesterday when my work had a Troegs takeover. I figured why not for $13? I left it capped sitting in my hot room all day after drinking half of it last night. It's still tasting solid and it's a screw top growler. I'll take a screw top over a swing top pretty much every time at this point. Swing tops are a pain in the rear end and filling them is more so because most places don't explain how to properly clean/store them and they become gross bacteria factories. Moral of the story, if you leave your cap on a growler with any amount water in it after washing it, you're gross as gently caress, swing tops just make it worse.

Edit: yeah I know that those two are only loosely related. Oh well.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 25, 2014

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I'm trying to homebrew a berliner for the first time. If I end up failing, I'll just need to track down a case of berliner.

Hah! Not a bad plan, I am basically do the opposite though :) Buying great berliner, then brewing when I run out.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Midorka posted:

AVBC meaning Anderson Valley? I haven't had anything from them I'd consider worth buying over any local brewery personally.

Barney Flats is a really solid oatmeal stout, and it's getting harder to find those now what with everybody scrambling to make IPAs (or occasionally a gose :v: ).

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

crazyfish posted:

Nice haul. Not sure if Hopworks is bottling it, but Blosser Bomb, the Pinot Noir barrel version of Abominable, is worth trying if you can find it.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Ubik posted:

Barney Flats is a really solid oatmeal stout, and it's getting harder to find those now what with everybody scrambling to make IPAs (or occasionally a gose :v: ).

I've had it three times and every time it's had this odd black cherry soda flavor running through it. It's not unpleasant, but I've never encountered that in another oatmeal stout.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
on the whole, i think the demand for Westbrook stuff is slightly out of proportion to the beers they produce, but Mexican Cake (and the variants) is really good

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I went to a couple tastings this weekend, here's a super crappy pic of some of the highlights from last night. My friend threw a party for his 5,000th unique check-in on Untappd, so a few crazy bottles were busted out.

Imperial Apricot Bu: Holy cow. I don't think I've ever had a beer with more Apricot flavor. This beer tasted like apricot flavored sweet tarts, drat was it delicious. One of my favorite beers of the night.

Life is Like: My second time having this beer, and honestly, my palate was a bit blown out by the time I drank it last night. Tastes like chocolate covered cherries, although the cherries don't seem nearly as prominent as when I had it 8 months ago. Good, but not worth what it trades for, imho.

Double Barrel Hunahpu: Holy cow. This stuff is the bee's knees. Probably the best BA stout I've ever had.

Hill Farmstead Art: Really good, but I think I prefer it blended with lambic, a la CD7 :smug:

Cantillon La Dernière Cuvée Du 89: This was apparently the predecessor to Cuvee des Champions. We were all really scared when we took the foil off, because there was a bit of mold underneath it. Apparently that is a common problem with foiled Cantillons that are stored on their side, as we've ran into a few other bottles like that. This one was definitely a bit past its prime, but was still very good.

Midnight Sun's M: Very good, but once again, past its prime. Barrel character was very light, presumably from the age. It wasn't too downhill, but was starting to show signs of oxidation. The oxidation played very well with the beer, but I can only imagine this beer is a shadow of its former self. Really good, but not as great as I'm sure it once was.

Jeux D'eau: I was a big fan of this one. I'm a huge fan of grape sours, and this one did not disappoint. I really wish I had another bottle of this, because I bet this beer would be pretty killer with a bit of age on it.

Perennial BA Sump: Holy coffee! Bitter, burnt, delicious. Possibly the best coffee beer I've ever had, definitely lives up to the hype.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 25, 2014

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Kudosx posted:

Midnight Sun's M

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

danbanana posted:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Cantillon La Dernière Cuvée Du 89 is supposedly even more rare. So rare it's not even on the white whale list. From what I understand, when the bottle was available, it wasn't really available to go, unless you knew somebody who worked where it was being sold. My friends both had a bottle of it, so one of them traded theirs 1:1 for M. They got the bottles from a friend who works at a distributor who was liquidating his cellar, and gave them first dibs, and also good prices. Pretty nice $40 investment if you ask me.

I'm surprised my friends even drank/traded their bottles, I would have been tempted to resell them for $1500+

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Nice haul. Not sure if Hopworks is bottling it, but Blosser Bomb, the Pinot Noir barrel version of Abominable, is worth trying if you can find it.

I would guess he's talking about Fremont bourbon Abominable. One of the rare cases where two breweries are totally okay with using the same name for a beer instead of speed dialing their lawyers.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm gonna read the bitter Rodgers manifesto with a couple of IPAs that I hope are bitter: Sam Adams Third Voyage and Speakeasy Big Daddy.

pepper bologna
Dec 31, 2005
A man among mushrooms
My wife bought me a six pack of the Anderson Valley Gose and I thought it was pretty solid. For those of you that have the luxury of picking between Anderson Valley's Gose or Westbrook's I would for sure recommend Westbrook's, but I would say that the Anderson Valley is a fine substitute for those that it is a hassle to track down/trade for Westbrook.

pepper bologna fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 25, 2014

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

dphi posted:

I would guess he's talking about Fremont bourbon Abominable. One of the rare cases where two breweries are totally okay with using the same name for a beer instead of speed dialing their lawyers.

Come to think of it, I believe that Hopworks actually calls theirs Kentucky Christmas.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
:stare: http://www.foodrepublic.com/2014/05/20/danish-architecture-firm-thinks-it-has-perfected-b

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Wow, that beats a countertop pizza cooker for the most useless device I've ever seen.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Pouring artificially foamed beer on top of a glass of beer should be the dictionary entry for 'missing the point'

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Lost Abbey reportedly buys 1,000 of them...

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
Stated use: kinda weird.

Maybe some crazy experimental fun could be had? IPA with a foamed head containing a few drops of Chile oil? Deconstructed black and tan? A heffe with a frambroise foam head? You probably don't need the device, but I've never thought of these things before.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Speaking of not needing a device to create foam... This year's Saison Brett has RayonVert-itis, aka swelling of the head. I'm wondering if the brewing process was modified this year, given that LC4 was delayed (not ready?) and SB was pushed up a month from it's usual June release. Massive head going on right now, but still it's awesome self.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
Had an Almanac Valley of the Heart's Delight from the last BIF. This thing was like a beer smoothie, filled with chunks of fruit skins and other stuff but that just made it more interesting. Really sour with lots of fruitiness and just awesome overall. I need to try and trade for more of this stuff. Are these farm to barrel beers expensive or hard to get? Anyway, can't wait for the next BIF. Thanks Zam.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago
Came to NY this weekend to visit friends; it wasn't explicitly a beer related, but they're all open to a variety of beers. Within hours of landing I happen to stop by a Whole Foods and what should I see but a six-pack of Westbrook Gose. I like Troublesome, but this definitely did more for me. Friends enjoyed it as well (those pre-disposed to goses moreso, of course).

And then at a bar on the way out of town they had Bourbon County Barleywine. So ridiculousness of drinking a Chicago beer in NY hours before returning to Chicago aside, it was great but I think I definitely prefer Straight Jacket. While delicious, BCBBW struck me as much more one-note.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
It's a Boulevard day... Opened my second-to-last LC3. One year later and this is holding up really, really well. Much better than LC2 did (though it never was as good as 2 was fresh; Very very few things are). When this beer is on- and right now, it's on- I'd take it over any shelf American wild ale. Wonderfully complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

nosleep posted:

Had an Almanac Valley of the Heart's Delight from the last BIF. This thing was like a beer smoothie, filled with chunks of fruit skins and other stuff but that just made it more interesting. Really sour with lots of fruitiness and just awesome overall. I need to try and trade for more of this stuff. Are these farm to barrel beers expensive or hard to get? Anyway, can't wait for the next BIF. Thanks Zam.

I've only had Valley of the Heart's Delight once and it was nowhere near as chunky as in the picture. The farm to barrel bottles are all around $12/bottle and pretty easy to get in California, although it can be tough to find certain varieties, Valley being one of those.

Just finishing up a bottle of Knee Deep's Hoparillo "triple" ipa, which was only on tap until just very recently. It's a big rear end beer at 11.2% but the alcohol is covered very well. It's pretty similar to Simtra, and overall I'd say Simtra is slightly better.