Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I was just about to ask for that - it would be very nice to have a way to open an image link in safari, say, rather than just getting the image full screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Soricidus posted:

I was just about to ask for that - it would be very nice to have a way to open an image link in safari, say, rather than just getting the image full screen.

This part is fixed in the next version. You can long-tap image links to get the usual link menu (plus a "view image" item at the end).

As for "how do I know an image is a link", that's a problem on the browser too, isn't it? Do we need to solve the problem?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It's a problem on the browser, but you can easily hover to check, and besides I don't think there's any reason we couldn't do a better job in Awful!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Maybe just something as little as:

Also, I am an rear end in a top hat and have started an even better, trendy, smarter profile template. If I have down time at the in-laws this weekend I want to work on that and maybe a new screen for image viewing.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

The Dave posted:

Maybe just something as little as:

Also, I am an rear end in a top hat and have started an even better, trendy, smarter profile template. If I have down time at the in-laws this weekend I want to work on that and maybe a new screen for image viewing.

Search is down, can you link to that picture?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
I am having a new issue as of today, unread counts don't update properly in bookmarks. Threads will reorder themselves and clicking on the takes me to unread posts but when it's 1-4 new posts I don't see the number

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Anyone else on an iPad 2/maybe other non-retina device getting weird scaling issues on thread tags and the B/S/T tags in SA Mart?

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

Is there an easy way to get to the end of a thread you haven't viewed before?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Forbin5 posted:

Is there an easy way to get to the end of a thread you haven't viewed before?

Long tap, go to last page. That's assuming you're on the index, of course. If you're in-thread already, tap the page counter, then last page.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Blackula69 posted:

I am having a new issue as of today, unread counts don't update properly in bookmarks. Threads will reorder themselves and clicking on the takes me to unread posts but when it's 1-4 new posts I don't see the number

I seem to remember something about the forums themselves only updating it once in a while. If you wait a bit and refresh does it update?

Or I could be totally wrong.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

2.0.8 crashes on my iPad Air every time I load it since updating. It loads, sits at a snapshot of the last thread I was browsing for about 15 seconds and then crashes.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Number19 posted:

2.0.8 crashes on my iPad Air every time I load it since updating. It loads, sits at a snapshot of the last thread I was browsing for about 15 seconds and then crashes.

Same on my 5s running whatever the newest ios7 is.

EDIT: well, it's fixed itself now. Hm.

Teddybear fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 27, 2014

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Bug: in fyad, the speech arrows pointing to the avatar don't quite line up with the rest of the post bubble

On an iphone 4s

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh god YES. I just updated to the new version and tested out the font scale option. This is what I've been wanting ever since the new version came out. You guys are the best! :dance:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Glad you like it! Let me know when you find the inevitable things that it breaks, or screens I forgot to adjust.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Teddybear posted:

I have a similar problem on my iPhone. I hit the Awful icon, I get a blank white screen for a few seconds and then it crashes. The normal home screen shows up when I double-tap my home button; for whatever reason I was able to click the icon from there and get to the point where I can write this post.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

PFlats posted:

Anyone else on an iPad 2/maybe other non-retina device getting weird scaling issues on thread tags and the B/S/T tags in SA Mart?

Someone else mentioned this ages ago and I don't remember actually looking into it, so I'll put it on the todo list once more.

Number19 posted:

Teddybear posted:

Rahonavis posted:

I have a similar problem on my iPhone. I hit the Awful icon, I get a blank white screen for a few seconds and then it crashes. The normal home screen shows up when I double-tap my home button; for whatever reason I was able to click the icon from there and get to the point where I can write this post.

It appears that there's a crashing bug sometimes when opening back up to the thread you were on before Awful was terminated (aka "restoring state"). If you try it a couple times it should give up on restoring and stop crashing.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just got the bug where it doesn't tell me a thread is updated with the numbers even though it has 1-4 new posts. I can only tell because the "killed by so-and-so" tagline updates anyway.

Of Course when I navigated back it had a little (1) to show me so it's inconsistent I guess,

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GIF talk: viewing a page with a lot of animated GIFs on it makes hurt, even on a 5s with fast wifi. Is there appetite for doing something about this?

One option is click-to-play on animated GIFs, probably means a placeholder for any image ending in .gif unless we want to do deeper webview network interposition to grab the first frame (spoiler: we probably don't). We could auto-freeze other GIFs when another was activated, which I think would make things a lot smoother, and probably save a bunch of battery.

Another would be to do the load/discard thing for all images that are off-screen, which probably works as well, and would help with memory usage in the general case.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

GIF talk: viewing a page with a lot of animated GIFs on it makes hurt, even on a 5s with fast wifi. Is there appetite for doing something about this?

gently caress yes.

quote:

One option is click-to-play on animated GIFs, probably means a placeholder for any image ending in .gif unless we want to do deeper webview network interposition to grab the first frame (spoiler: we probably don't). We could auto-freeze other GIFs when another was activated, which I think would make things a lot smoother, and probably save a bunch of battery.

Another would be to do the load/discard thing for all images that are off-screen, which probably works as well, and would help with memory usage in the general case.

I'm angling towards load-and-dump because it sounds easiest and because of the memory benefit you mention.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

I'm angling towards load-and-dump because it sounds easiest and because of the memory benefit you mention.

Yeah, I'll poke at that again. I forget what I got stuck on last time, but I didn't spend a ton of time on it.

We'll have to see what happens with scrolling large-file-size images like GIFs that could blow out of the cache and take a while to reload.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Rahonavis posted:

My iPhone 4s does this, except double-tapping the home button shows the same white screen and then continues crashing. Tried repeatedly, still no luck. Just keeps crashing.

Edit: just ended up deleting and reinstalling. Works like a charm.

wynott dunn fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 29, 2014

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Critical bug report: I just realised the yospos loading screen is using an anachronistic … glyph instead of three periods. My immersion is ruined. Please advise when I can expect a fix.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

When I click on a quoted person's name, it takes me to the top of the page where that quote is from and not the post itself.

More specifically, it goes to the quote for a half-second, then jumps to the top of the page.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

JazzFlight posted:

When I click on a quoted person's name, it takes me to the top of the page where that quote is from and not the post itself.

More specifically, it goes to the quote for a half-second, then jumps to the top of the page.

It does this when trying to view posts linked from the Leper's Colony. Appears to have just started becoming an issue.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

Working on it. I redid a ton of stuff on the posts screen and I didn't quite nail this part of it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you scroll the screen, and it is still moving, then tap to stop it, and your tap happens to be on a username, it pops up the user's info. I'm doing it a lot by accident. Did this change recently?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I've been mis firing that like crazy since the new build.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Yes, that happens to me a lot too. I also had to click about thirty times to reveal a spoiler earlier but once it revealed it was fine after.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Me as well. Seems like the sensitivity is a little too high.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

smackfu posted:

If you scroll the screen, and it is still moving, then tap to stop it, and your tap happens to be on a username, it pops up the user's info. I'm doing it a lot by accident. Did this change recently?

I've been getting this a lot too. The action to pop up that menu should probably be a long-press, like it is in the threads list.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

No, it shouldn't be a long press. There just needs to be a bit of a buffer around scrolling.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I can't long-press the first two links in this thread's OP (the ones in the :siren:s): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480522&perpage=40

I can tap them to navigate, and I can long-press other links on that page.

Ninja: hmm, I can now sometimes, but not everywhere on the link? I'll try to figure out the pattern.

Ninja encore: and sometimes when it does bring up the secondary-action sheet it doesn't have the Safari/Chrome options, just open/copy/reading-list.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 30, 2014

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Did the font for the Joined text change in this update? Between that and the slightly smaller spacing between lines, it looks a lot better to me. :D

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, that font got tweaked with the text-size work I think? It's a blur.

More on the link long-press issue: it seems like the first two links on a page don't work, if they're in the first two posts. Weirdness.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Is the aids forum related to the app or is it real? I wanna post in it

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

smackfu posted:

The implementation changed completely. I'll take a look.

Subjunctive posted:

I can't long-press the first two links in this thread's OP (the ones in the :siren:s): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480522&perpage=40

I can tap them to navigate, and I can long-press other links on that page.

Ninja: hmm, I can now sometimes, but not everywhere on the link? I'll try to figure out the pattern.

Ninja encore: and sometimes when it does bring up the secondary-action sheet it doesn't have the Safari/Chrome options, just open/copy/reading-list.

There's an underlying bug in UIWebView that prevents long-taps from working in the top bit of the view. I think that's what you're seeing. I've worked around it in the next version, the fix should be pushed to the repo already.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

There's an underlying bug in UIWebView that prevents long-taps from working in the top bit of the view.

That's awesome.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

That's awesome.

Took me a bit to track that one down. Currently trying to figure out why <post> elements don't have matching scrollHeight and offsetHeight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

May have missed this being discussed but is it intentional that the "..." And username buttons seem to be disabled in the period between a page of posts initially being displayed and loading finishing up? ( "finished" = the spinner on the status bar by the LTE icon going away)

I could see how it might be handy to prevent accidental behavior if you try to hit one of the buttons while the view is jumping around, but what I keep seeing is a mostly text thread will "load" interminably, leaving me no way to use the mark-as-read or other menu accessed functionality midway down a page.

I'm doing most of my browsing on a mediocre LTE connection, which is probably why I keep running into it. Latest iOS, latest Awful, iPhone 5.

• Locked thread