Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I was speaking in terms of 32" TVs. The Sony one is apparently the best feature-wise for those TVs. I can't fit a 60" TV in my stand so I'm not even considering it.

I would love to get a 4K TV if I could, the picture quality is amazing. I don't have a problem with only two HDMI ports. I have three on my current TV and only use two of them on a regular basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Think I'm going with this TV, good deal?

VIZIO M-Series Razor LED™

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...4104eeff4f0355f

$480 with $200 dell GC

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...038fa2fb5ac96e1

48" for $550 with GC

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...80f8fff98b77a1a

39" VIZIO E390-A1 1080p LED HDTV + $125 Dell eGift Card $329.99 with free shipping

Or this non-smart one. 60hz instead of 120 though

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 14, 2014

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Christoff posted:

Think I'm going with this TV, good deal?

VIZIO M-Series Razor LED™

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...4104eeff4f0355f

$480 with $200 dell GC

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...038fa2fb5ac96e1

48" for $550 with GC

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...80f8fff98b77a1a

39" VIZIO E390-A1 1080p LED HDTV + $125 Dell eGift Card $329.99 with free shipping

Or this non-smart one. 60hz instead of 120 though

We just ordered that 48" Model for our workspace and it gets in today. I'll let you know how it is. It was $529 through Amazon ($20 off with Prime shipping).

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mill Village posted:

I think the first two TVs would be considered mid-range televisions, while the Sony is a top of the line TV. It does have deinterlacing features for 480i games as well. It does cost quite a bit more then the other TVs, though.

Every HDTV has deinterlacing for interlaced images. You don't want 'image enhancement features' they will make your picture look worse and introduce a lot of input lag.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

BonoMan posted:

We just ordered that 48" Model for our workspace and it gets in today. I'll let you know how it is. It was $529 through Amazon ($20 off with Prime shipping).

Yeah think I'm going to go with the 48". Pretty decent deal with the dell coupon. Reviews seem promising.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Ended up getting the 32" Samsung dumb TV (UN32EH5000F). Quite happy with it. Pretty painless getting Best Buy to match the amazon.com price as well - which really surprised me. After calibrating the picture settings, it's pretty gorgeous and great to game on. My one gripe is the HDMI inputs are on the side.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Christoff posted:

Yeah think I'm going to go with the 48". Pretty decent deal with the dell coupon. Reviews seem promising.

I don't see any Dell coupon deal? What is that?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

BonoMan posted:

I don't see any Dell coupon deal? What is that?

poo poo I'm on my phone there's a thread on sick deals. Add it to your cart and there should be a $200 dell gift card added which they'll email to you in 10-20 days

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
What's the buzz on vizio's p-line? Any rumors on release date? A 55in 4k tv for 1400 just sounds too good to be true.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Christoff posted:

poo poo I'm on my phone there's a thread on sick deals. Add it to your cart and there should be a $200 dell gift card added which they'll email to you in 10-20 days

Well.. .poo poo. Kind of wish I would've ordered from Dell as we actually need to make a computer purchase here!

Anybody had any luck getting Amazon to match gift cards?

rentilius
Apr 21, 2010
I'm having such a hard time establishing a price tolerance, using some of the OP's suggestions and also looking the TV's found at http://www.displaylag.com/. I got about an 8 inch viewing distance going on, so I figure 60 inches should be more than the recommended size for that distance. I'd like to reduce the input lag, should I ever play video games. And I'd rather not spend more than $1,000.

But every TV that I try and grab that meet these recommendations are either 1) discountinued 2) sold out.

Am I missing something here? Is there another batch of next-gen TV's coming out?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

April-May is pretty much the no man's land for consumer electronics. Most of the prior year models are on clearance and the new models are just starting to hit stores.

I imagine it will be some time before the lag database is updated with new info. You might be better off seeing out reviews for specific models that are coming out right now and see if lag is mentioned in them.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just a reminder some good deals going on here -

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634285

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I recently killed my TV by way of being a clumsy dumbass, so I'm in the market for a 55-60" TV. Are holiday sales actually worthwhile to wait for?

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012
I just bought a new house and have a big empty wall begging for a 70"er. Seating distance is about 14". I would go 80", but don't want to spend that much money on something that my toddler might decide to throw a toy-truck at at some point. Anyway, I want something as cheap as possible. I don't want 3d, 240hz or any of that jazz. As long as the input delay is OK for gaming and I can hook-up a high end pc-video card to it I will be happy. I know that picture quality isn't going to be a good as a high-end model, but I am coming from a 56" 720p Samsung DLP so anything will look better than what I have now. I am looking at to 70" Vizio at costco for $1479.99 or the Sharp Aquos LC-70LE650U from Amazon for $1650. I'd have to pay sales tax on Vizio so price is about the same. Opinions?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Wait until Black Friday and see what deals come about.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tide posted:

Wait until Black Friday and see what deals come about.

Waiting until November? Too many months of not having a big TV.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I recently killed my TV by way of being a clumsy dumbass, so I'm in the market for a 55-60" TV. Are holiday sales actually worthwhile to wait for?

$700

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Awesome, thanks! :)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I was just over at Costco on my lunch break and saw that they have a Samsung 60" 5350 plasma TV for only ~$50 more than the Visio... good deal or no?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

-edit Looks like it's down but may come back

Just saw this thought I'd share

47" LG 47LB6300 1080p 120Hz Smart LED HDTV + 1-Year Netflix Subscription $499 + Free Shipping

http://slickdeals.net/f/6935792-47-lg-47lb6300-1080p-120hz-smart-led-hdtv-1-year-netflix-subscription-499-free-shipping

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 20, 2014

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
How are the Vizio TVs in terms of quality compared to Sony/Samsung/etc and other brands? Is the E-Class comparable to high end?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Boner Wad posted:

How are the Vizio TVs in terms of quality compared to Sony/Samsung/etc and other brands? Is the E-Class comparable to high end?

E class is essentially their "Economy" class. It's not bad, but it's hard to compare it to a brand in general as each brand typically has their own tiers of economy/mid-range/premium (Vizio E/M/P lines for example).

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

BonoMan posted:

E class is essentially their "Economy" class. It's not bad, but it's hard to compare it to a brand in general as each brand typically has their own tiers of economy/mid-range/premium (Vizio E/M/P lines for example).

It seems like most brands "premium" line is 4k... If I don't need a new TV right now, should I just wait for 4k to be more mainstream?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Boner Wad posted:

It seems like most brands "premium" line is 4k... If I don't need a new TV right now, should I just wait for 4k to be more mainstream?

Yeah I wouldn't really worry about 4K at the moment. Unless your budget is padded enough to be all "why not?!"

Do you have a budget? Or size/features you want?

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

So how good/bad is plasma burn-in these days? My parents are looking to get a new TV and my dad has his heart set on plasma. I'm just worried about them baking in the Roku main menu two days after they get it.

And can anyone recommend a plasma, minimum 60", for $1300 (Canadian) or less? They don't need smart-TV features, and good 3D would be a bonus but they'd take a bigger screen over it. I'd like something with low input lag too but as long as it's not noticeably huge I'd sacrifice 2ms for a few hundred less dollars.

Also, what's the difference between these two Samsungs?:

PN60F5300
PN60F5500

Is it just the smart-tv features?

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Yeah I wouldn't really worry about 4K at the moment. Unless your budget is padded enough to be all "why not?!"

Do you have a budget? Or size/features you want?

It's a big room so 65-70". Low lag for gaming. Needs to be mountable to a wall. I don't plan on having speakers or a receiver.

I like Sony and had an 40" XBR4, then a 46" HX850, so I like nice Sony's but now the XBRs are the 4k TVs...

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

The Monarch posted:

So how good/bad is plasma burn-in these days? My parents are looking to get a new TV and my dad has his heart set on plasma. I'm just worried about them baking in the Roku main menu two days after they get it.

And can anyone recommend a plasma, minimum 60", for $1300 (Canadian) or less? They don't need smart-TV features, and good 3D would be a bonus but they'd take a bigger screen over it. I'd like something with low input lag too but as long as it's not noticeably huge I'd sacrifice 2ms for a few hundred less dollars.

Also, what's the difference between these two Samsungs?:

PN60F5300
PN60F5500

Is it just the smart-tv features?

On Samsung's Canadian site, where they are the 5300 and 5500, the 5300 doesn't have 3D nor any smart features.

Seeing them in person in store the PQ is very good but the screens are extremely reflective. It's one of the reasons I went with the 8500 (that and a nice stand/bezel and more settings for fine-tuning the set).

Since my set is not even a week old I can't comment on image retention/burn-in. I've seen IR for a few seconds (once), have had no burn-in because I'm not giving it the chance. Everything I've been watching is full 16:9 content with no static bars/bugs (which unfortunately is meaning no hockey at the moment!) and a gently caress-ton of TV shows on blu-ray during its break-in period. It's also being run in Movie mode so the brightness/contrast isn't set for torch.

I don't know if the 5300 or 5500 have pixel shifting which can help with images that are burned-in. Mine has it but I haven't used it yet. The Disney WOW disc has some pixel shifting software built into it as well but again, don't know what it's like. At the very least they have screen burn protection which I assume would include pixel shifting.

I'm pretty sure one could easily get burn-in, especially in the first 100 or so hours, but you'd have to watch it with high contrast and lots of static images (including black bars for 2.35 or 4:3 content). It all depends on whether they'd want to baby it for a month or so.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I never babied my plasma for a second and watched tons of letterboxed and bugged content. I have never gotten burn in. There was a higher level of image retention right at first, but it never ever stayed long at all. This was on a 2007 Plasma. You'll be fine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Can't really say I had the same experience on my ST50.

Watching an hour's worth of adult swim a night for two weeks (with tons of other content mixed in) was enough to have [adult swim] etched in the corner of my TV for about a month and a half until it finally faded.

It would take the whole weekend for the gray Comedy Central logo to fade after watching all 4 Daily Show and Colberts for a week.

The TV did produce a stunning picture, but I do not miss its faults in the slightest.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 23, 2014

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

BonoMan posted:

I never babied my plasma for a second and watched tons of letterboxed and bugged content. I have never gotten burn in. There was a higher level of image retention right at first, but it never ever stayed long at all. This was on a 2007 Plasma. You'll be fine.

No doubt I'm just paranoid :ohdear: but I do tend to get more paranoid the more I spend on a product. It took me a couple of years to relax when watching my RPTV and I'm sure this will be almost the same, even though the tech is so much better to fix any issues it might have. Just being cautious is all and mostly going by what CNET has recommended about breaking-in plasmas, not AVSForum.

I'm not doing anything like running slides because gently caress that.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I'm in a bit of an awkward spot here as I have a somewhat specific need.

I need a TV that will be used solely for playing rhythm games, namely Dance Dance Revolution. As such, the display lag issue is one that I've been putting quite a bit of research into to make sure I have the best experience.

The biggest issue with doing this kind of setup is always going to be audio/video lag. The game will be running off of a PC, to minimize audio lag the sound will be routed directly through the PC speakers as opposed to TV speakers, the issue of display lag I think is a bit less pronounced than audio lag, but is something that concerns me quite a bit.

Ideally, I would use a computer monitor since (allegedly) they have significantly less lag than a TV would, the problem is that since I will be playing on a dance pad at a distance, I was looking for something bigger than 23-24", ideally I would like to have a display between 35-42" in size, and computer monitors at this range appear to be outrageously priced, whereas a TV in this size range now appears to be in the low-mid range with regards to price.

To give you an idea, the accuracy window that the game gives you to hit a note and receive full points for it is ~23ms (with a rank of "Fantastic" or Marvelous", depending on the game). Knowing this and looking at the diplaylag site linked in the OP, I feel uncomfortable even choosing a display as the lag listed for the majority of displays there is often more than half of the game's timing window of 23ms.

I've been told that I'm probably blowing these numbers out of proportion as they're still quite small and I should be ok even with a lag 25-30ms. With all this in mind I figured I would ask here to see if anyone more knowledgeable than me can recommend a display. Since this will be connected to a PC and used solely for games, I don't need any smart TV features or fancy post-processing motion enhancing effects (which would introduce lag anyway). My budget is about $500, but I'd be willing to stretch it a bit if necessary (or for example if I could go from 60Hz to 120Hz with a relatively small sum). As previously mentioned, display lag and screen size would be the two biggest factors, I would like to minimize display lag and keep the size somewhere between 35-42".

There is one model that I found to be adequate, the Samsung N40EH5300 40-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV, which according to DisplayLag.com, has about a 26ms delay. One thing that concerns me on this page is the line "AllShare Play. Clear Motion Rate: 120" which sounds like some post-processing effect that might introduce lag, can I turn these things off somehow? I've read that most Samsung TVs have good "game modes" which will get rid of the extra stuff.

Thanks in advance for any help on this matter, I've been going crazy over this the past few days since the last time I set this up was using a CRT where the lag was not an issue.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Allshare is a media sending thing. Things on your network can push pictures and stuff to the TV.

When it's not being used it doesn't affect anything,

Game Mode would turn off Clearmotion.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My VT60 plasma and PX600U (from 2006) plasmas have no burn in issues and I don't baby them at all.

No break in, I play Xbox games with prominent static HUDs for hours, no issues.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Yeah, my panasonic 42PX80U from 2008 has had zero problems, burn-in or otherwise. A+, would buy again.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My parents have a 60" 6300 series Samsung LCD and it's incredible how bad directv looks with compression.

I use antenna to get my tv (aside from streaming) and the difference between the two is pretty shocking.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Samsung 48-Inch Full HD 1080p Smart HDTV 120HZ with Wi-Fi - UN48H6350 $625

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-48-...=item4d1db9da93

Good deal? Should I jump on it or wait for a possible memorial weekend sale?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Christoff posted:

Samsung 48-Inch Full HD 1080p Smart HDTV 120HZ with Wi-Fi - UN48H6350 $625

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-48-...=item4d1db9da93

Good deal? Should I jump on it or wait for a possible memorial weekend sale?

625 should get you more TV than that. Does Best Buy still have that 55" Vizio for 700?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Wilford Cutlery posted:

625 should get you more TV than that. Does Best Buy still have that 55" Vizio for 700?

That's just the price, it should cost that everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

big mean giraffe posted:

That's just the price, it should cost that everywhere.

Good call

Forbin5 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 25, 2014