Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

http://imgur.com/a/EmfB5

In the year of our lord, 2014. This happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Looks like Sunset Overdrive has some competition with getting memes in their videogame.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The minigames at least the poker/chess ones are not fun. Yeah one solution possible per game with a thousand permutations and inexperience with poker because I never play poker! Awesome!

also some of these combinations are weird. I stole 4500 from someone, looked at them and it says LIVES OUT OF CAR

Income? 100k+

What.

The mad libs profiles can get kinda weird but sometimes they line up perfectly. I scanned someone once and got sociopaths tendencies. Then I hacked his phone and got a conversation with him asking, hypothetically, for advice on how to move a hypothetical dead body from the front hall to the trunk of a car.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dandywalken posted:

Oh my god this is loving reprehensible :ughh:

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
I saw a high school valedictorian working as a prostitute :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Thank god there is literally no reason to ever use those.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Now I'm imagining a Burma Shave ad but with doge speak.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

It's missing the worst one. badger badger badger badger badger badger

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Orv posted:

Thank god there is literally no reason to ever use those.

yeah, you only see them when you're zipping across the bridge between districts and occasionally inside restricted areas, and they only show that poo poo if you hack the display. They're just fluff, I imagine they exist just to irritate invaders.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Not that that makes it better mind you, but at least you don't have to see it.

Magna
Sep 3, 2007

Azurrat posted:

I'm rocking an FX-6300 with a 550 Ti, runs at an almost solid 60 FPS on low settings.

I am running an i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz with a 550TI and the game runs at 25-35fps :(.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dandywalken posted:

They actually made a Watch Doge joke?! gently caress this god drat game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Dandywalken posted:

I see that life mimics art.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

It's missing the rick astley one

"never gonna give you up"

I waited like 5 minutes for the sign to change to something else. I think i lost guys :(

You're a loving unhappy and boring person.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
To me, it would make sense if the billboards in the game actually mined 4chan and reddit for popular quotes and threw them up there.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You're a loving unhappy and boring person.
Because I think tired internet memes in a not so great video game make that game even worse?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Because I think tired internet memes in a not so great video game make that game even worse?

...kind of, yeah.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rap sheet. :ssh:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree that real life meme poo poo in video games is dumb and should be viewed with disgust. For one thing, memes are temporary, so even if it is somehow funny now (it's not), it won't be funny in a year's time when all that stuff is forgotten and new memes exist. That's what a meme by the modern definition is.

But not only that, it's a wink and a nudge from the developers in an attempt to extract real life humor from a setting that it doesn't belong in. It's a cheap way to get a laugh out of the player with the lowest lowbrow referential humor and it sucks poo poo.

edit: vvvv Actually it'd still be dumb schlock either way.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 25, 2014

Your First Sim
Oct 21, 2008

WHY DID YOU KILL ME
Let's be honest, if one of the billboards said "Deal with it" goons would be ecstatic.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I imagine. I just wanted to share it because I thought it was kinda dumb, didnt mean to cause a ~RUCKUS~ or anything.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
It is kinda dumb but it has zero impact on gameplay and you have to go out of your way to see it. Whoever compiled that album spent more time looking at those than anybody else ever would accidentally.

so really, who gives a poo poo?

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013
Whats the shooting like in comparison to Max Payne 3? Like minus bullet time and what not obviously (unless thats in there too?) I liked the mechanics from MP3 a lot, that sort of slower weighty-ness combined with accurate aiming. That super early WD vid from forever ago where the dude causes the stoplight pileup and then gets in a sick shoot out with some bad boys made me think it would be somewhat similar.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

blat blat blat posted:

sort of slower weighty-ness combined with accurate aiming

You are not going to be happy with Watch Dogs.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

I agree that real life meme poo poo in video games is dumb and should be viewed with disgust. For one thing, memes are temporary, so even if it is somehow funny now (it's not), it won't be funny in a year's time when all that stuff is forgotten and new memes exist. That's what a meme by the modern definition is.

But not only that, it's a wink and a nudge from the developers in an attempt to extract real life humor from a setting that it doesn't belong in. It's a cheap way to get a laugh out of the player with the lowest lowbrow referential humor and it sucks poo poo.

edit: vvvv Actually it'd still be dumb schlock either way.
This game is about a leet haxor running around the city in a mask and a trenchcoat, why do you think internet memes don't fit with the theme? And like I said, they should totally make it mine data from the real internet, to keep up with the times.

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013
Ah is it more like GTA gunplay, which is fairly bad? Tho I didnt play GTA V which supposed had better shooting.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Honestly if they went and put in ASCII dicks and Goatse etc, I'd totally be down with the meme thing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

blat blat blat posted:

Ah is it more like GTA gunplay, which is fairly bad? Tho I didnt play GTA V which supposed had better shooting.
GTA5 shooting is still awful compared to any other modern shooter.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

blat blat blat posted:

Imagine Steve Urkel firing an AK-47 for the first time. This is what every single firefight in Watch Dogs is like, ie gun kicking all over the place with a single digit accuracy rate.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

blat blat blat posted:

Whats the shooting like in comparison to Max Payne 3? Like minus bullet time and what not obviously (unless thats in there too?) I liked the mechanics from MP3 a lot, that sort of slower weighty-ness combined with accurate aiming. That super early WD vid from forever ago where the dude causes the stoplight pileup and then gets in a sick shoot out with some bad boys made me think it would be somewhat similar.
Max Payne 3's gunplay felt incredibly satisfying to me and I replayed that game a bunch of times, sometimes just to experience that gunplay again. In Watch Dogs, I haven't felt anywhere near that satisfied so far with the gunplay.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Azurrat posted:

Imagine Steve Urkel firing an AK-47 for the first time. This is what every single firefight in Watch Dogs is like, ie gun kicking all over the place with a single digit accuracy rate.
I would assume that is a balancing technique and handguns and SMGs kick less, is that not the case?

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013
Ah okey. I feel like in general its really hard to get open world shooting nearly as good as a more linear game cause you have way less intricate level design and AI that has to be programmed to function ok in somehwat randomized set pieces.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The gunplay in Watch Dogs works once you get all the upgrades for it, but that's about all it does. Does make me worry about invasions a little bit, since on that Gamespot stream they had problems shooting a guy that just weaved back and forth ten feet away.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Azurrat posted:

Imagine Steve Urkel firing an AK-47 for the first time.

That is probably not the best descriptor to use as a negative, because that kind of really owns.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
A glorified script kiddie is poo poo at shooting at first and makes meme jokes? Reprehensible.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I am having way more fun with this game than I did with GTA. So much detail in the environment and NPC's are great with a lot of dialogue. It really makes the city feel alive. Exploring the city is quite rewarding as well, you come across a ton of random events.

And if you want a good laugh kill a pedestrian by exploding something and wait there and listen to NPC reactions as they come across the dead body.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I would assume that is a balancing technique and handguns and SMGs kick less, is that not the case?
I don't think he meant "Steve Urkel firing an AK-47" to literally apply to an AK-47 but as a comparison to how gunplay works as a whole.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tatum Girlparts posted:

A glorified script kiddie is poo poo at shooting at first and makes meme jokes? Reprehensible.
When you put it that way, it makes sense. Still, that doesn't make the game any more fun for me. If the meme jokes were in an open world game with decent driving/shooting mechanics and a decent story, it'd be easier to look past them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

When you put it that way, it makes sense. Still, that doesn't make the game any more fun for me. If the meme jokes were in an open world game with decent driving/shooting mechanics and a decent story, it'd be easier to look past them.

This for sure. Just because it makes sense for the character doesn't make it fun or funny to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

keyframe posted:

I am having way more fun with this game than I did with GTA. So much detail in the environment and NPC's are great with a lot of dialogue. It really makes the city feel alive. Exploring the city is quite rewarding as well, you come across a ton of random events.

It's also weird when standing around looking up apps on my phone, random pedestrians would say "Hey! It's the vigilante." and would walk up to take pictures of me or with me. I guess if I went the madman route killing everyone, they would be calling the cops instead.

• Locked thread