Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Not until the end though? I mean, maybe I missed out on something, I found it had generally harder random encounters and boss battles were a bit more technical, and elemental weaknesses mattered a lot more.

From what I recall I ended up stacking a bunch of magic-boosting stuff on Slim Hilda and put her into Mask form for boss fights and she'd generally wreck face. She also has really predictable ring patterns if you want to use invisible ring stuff.

I wish Shadow Hearts wasn't dead so it could have its own thread. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, it's not like a thread has to last for seventeen years and be an institution of these forums. Someone could make a thread about it, people could go 'man those games owned', maybe sell it to a few people who haven't heard of the series before, then it could disappear into the archives after a bit. There was a Sega Saturn thread a few months back that had some neat discussion of the console and how and why it failed.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Atlus posted:

There's not a lot I can talk about in regards to EU. EU is a big part of our 3rd party titles, (Daylight, Citizens of Earth, Zeno Clash 2, etc.) so it's not that we hate Europe or anything, we do everything we can to try and get our games released over there. But the bigger the title, the more resources, time, etc. it takes. (see: SMTIV)

Oh ATLUS, don't lie to us, you do hate us, like you hate everyone else on the face of the planet. It's just that your hate is expressed differently.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I wish Shadow Hearts wasn't dead so it could have its own thread. :smith:
I could go for anything about now. Even if they just ported them all to vita.

That sounds like a good idea, actually, these games would be great on Vita.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Dehry posted:

They're also looking into the Persona 4 Arena removal.

The non-answers from Atlus piss me off.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
As expected, the Persona 3 movie fell into pretty much all the same traps that all the other Persona anime media has. Really, really weird/bad pacing, Telling, not showing, literally everything. Bad cinematography. The animation teams for fight scenes and talking scenes are clearly super different -- the art direction itself changes so drastically that the high-quality fight animations are almost entirely brought down by the scenes following them, where the characters don't even look like they're drawn by the same team of people.

After the fight on the monorail, when it goes into a montage (That still makes sure to show the audience the loving calendar 4 times even though its goddamn obvious that time is passing) Yukari's hands are like tiny baby hands and her head is huge. Like 4 of the classmates are completely crosseyed. In the next scene, Junpei's face is suddenly 5 times thinner than average and his friend's eyes are literally pointing cross-eyed so hard they may as well have been in the wrong sockets.

That being said it was better looking/more well paced than the first Persona 4 TV anime, but drat if I wasn't super frustrated by the goddamn game pacing and horrible "Tell, don't show" mentality the writing had. Literally every single time something happens the scene cuts to the Velvet Room and Elizabeth just exposition dumps it to the audience. Sure, that works in a game, but in a Movie we don't need to know that "using a social link will make your powers stronger". You just show us that by becoming better friends with people that the personas and skills get better.

Honestly this would have been a better movie if you cut out all of the Velvet room scenes (as awesome as Elizabeth might be as a character in the games) and the lovely game gimmick garbage and focused on the already solid narrative the game had present.

Hopefully Part 2 will be better. It's definitely not the worst Persona anime. It was actually alright, all complaints said, but it shouldn't be hard for Part 2 to be an improvement considering how they're dealing with the real meat of the story and all of the dumb videogamey exposition crap will be out of the way.

Also if they got rid of the stupid loving gradient filter over everything. The whole movie was like watching an ugly instagram photo.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Oh, poo poo. I heard that the P3 movie was actually really good. If it's only slightly better than the P4 anime, then I guess it isn't worth shelling out a hundred bucks for it. Ah well, at the very least it can't be any worse than Trinity Souls.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

Oh, poo poo. I heard that the P3 movie was actually really good. If it's only slightly better than the P4 anime, then I guess it isn't worth shelling out a hundred bucks for it. Ah well, at the very least it can't be any worse than Trinity Souls.

It's not offensively bad in the same way that P4A was. It's not a good movie by really any stretch of the imagination (what is pacing) but it's not horrible. Just definitely not worth paying for.

It really just felt like a bunch of contextless cutscenes stitched together with the dumb in-game calender screen.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

laplace posted:

It's not offensively bad in the same way that P4A was. It's not a good movie by really any stretch of the imagination (what is pacing) but it's not horrible. Just definitely not worth paying for.

It really just felt like a bunch of contextless cutscenes stitched together with the dumb in-game calender screen.

P4A was "offensively bad?" This if the first time I've heard such a severe complaint lodged against it; it wasn't without its flaws, but I thought it was good, doubly so for a video game adaptation.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Eh, the P4 anime gets some mixed views, some people really didn't mind it, but others couldn't get past its :effort: and nonexistent pacing. I could only really imagining getting something out of the show if you're a hardcore fan of P4, and even then it's still a really mediocre gig. All in all, Stardust Crusaders is a much better Persona 4 adaption.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
P4 Anime was good if you don't care about the actual plot and just want to see Yu being baller.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I only watched the show on the DVD release, which apparently fixed a whole lot of the art so I never saw any of the double Chie stuff or horrible proportions. Besides the boss "fights" being mostly boring touchy-feely talking, the show for the most part was pretty okay. But, yes, the pacing was kind of crummy. Maybe I got lucky and watched it at a time when I literally had nothing else to do as my house had been flooded and I had to wait a week and a half for the water poo poo to get fixed, so all I had at the time was watching that.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

laplace posted:

As expected, the Persona 3 movie fell into pretty much all the same traps that all the other Persona anime media has. Really, really weird/bad pacing, Telling, not showing, literally everything. Bad cinematography. The animation teams for fight scenes and talking scenes are clearly super different -- the art direction itself changes so drastically that the high-quality fight animations are almost entirely brought down by the scenes following them, where the characters don't even look like they're drawn by the same team of people.

After the fight on the monorail, when it goes into a montage (That still makes sure to show the audience the loving calendar 4 times even though its goddamn obvious that time is passing) Yukari's hands are like tiny baby hands and her head is huge. Like 4 of the classmates are completely crosseyed. In the next scene, Junpei's face is suddenly 5 times thinner than average and his friend's eyes are literally pointing cross-eyed so hard they may as well have been in the wrong sockets.

That being said it was better looking/more well paced than the first Persona 4 TV anime, but drat if I wasn't super frustrated by the goddamn game pacing and horrible "Tell, don't show" mentality the writing had. Literally every single time something happens the scene cuts to the Velvet Room and Elizabeth just exposition dumps it to the audience. Sure, that works in a game, but in a Movie we don't need to know that "using a social link will make your powers stronger". You just show us that by becoming better friends with people that the personas and skills get better.

Honestly this would have been a better movie if you cut out all of the Velvet room scenes (as awesome as Elizabeth might be as a character in the games) and the lovely game gimmick garbage and focused on the already solid narrative the game had present.

Hopefully Part 2 will be better. It's definitely not the worst Persona anime. It was actually alright, all complaints said, but it shouldn't be hard for Part 2 to be an improvement considering how they're dealing with the real meat of the story and all of the dumb videogamey exposition crap will be out of the way.

Also if they got rid of the stupid loving gradient filter over everything. The whole movie was like watching an ugly instagram photo.

I think it's animated by AIC ASTA, the P4A studio, which would explain the art problems. I'm guessing Atlus didn't feel like splurging on a better studio for the property.

But man, the calendar thing was just not necessary, and made it feel too TV-anime instead of a proper feature film, amongst other things. For some reason or another, none of the adaptations have been able to capture the eerie mood of the situation/concept.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Neeksy posted:

I think it's animated by AIC ASTA, the P4A studio, which would explain the art problems. I'm guessing Atlus didn't feel like splurging on a better studio for the property.

But man, the calendar thing was just not necessary, and made it feel too TV-anime instead of a proper feature film, amongst other things. For some reason or another, none of the adaptations have been able to capture the eerie mood of the situation/concept.

It is animated by AIC ASTA! It actually surprised me though, because for the most part the field animation was much better than the "static characters talking" stuff, which was shocking. Generally it's the other way around.

Coughing Hobo posted:

P4A was "offensively bad?" This if the first time I've heard such a severe complaint lodged against it; it wasn't without its flaws, but I thought it was good, doubly so for a video game adaptation.

I'm all for Yu being a Baller and I liked some of the comedy but I feel like the anime's nonexistent pacing and overall attachment to the gamey-ness exposition dump garbage really broke an already hard-to-look-at-ugly anime. I watched both the TV airing and the Blu-ray stuff, and while the Blu-ray is better, a lot of the animation/direction problems are still there.

I know a lot of people like the P4 anime and it's all good or whatever to like it and stuff, more power to you if you do, but technically it could really use some work. That's why I'm so excited for the P4G anime. Different studio, hopefully different director, and much-more-hopefully better pacing and overall sense of direction.

Anyway, P3.1 is alright. It's not horrible, it just has a lot of the same problems with it that all of the other Persona stuff had. I sighed a few times thinking "this poo poo again" -- Really odd editing when introducing the Velvet Room staff. Having extremely wide, static shots where poorly drawn characters slide around the frame. Bad pacing. It wasn't as bad as P4A, but it just made me think like, "You think they'd have learned this poo poo by now."

Edit: Also Ishida Akira is my least favorite voice actor ever and having him smugly say the kind of garbage that made me hate the male MC in the first place and get away with it was really grating. "IS DYING THE WORST THING THAT CAN HAPPEN???" *Junpei gets a fist to the face* "Oh I didn't see you there sorry" :suicide:

I did like how they made the evokers actually look sort of traumatizing to use though.

laplace fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 24, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Yeah I dunno, the P3 movie just seemed like an aggressively boring retelling of P3, with less atmosphere. The P4 anime was dumb for sure, but that's what I liked about it!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The best thing about Persona 4's anime was Yu's characterization. Makoto's a reaaaally boring character in comparison so far.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That sounds about right to me, P3 main character never had much personality to begin with.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
I am considering expanding my collection of Megatens while waiting for Persona Q.... I have played through SMT 1-4 and Persona 1-4, and enjoyed all of them with Nocturne being my favorite of the whole series. Aside from a brief stint with Soul Hackers (didn't like it very much), I have no real experience with the other sub-series. I guess each of the other series has a potential big negative point for me that I get too hung up on to actually try the game. I am not really the type who buys games and doesn't finish them.

Perhaps a silly inquiry but are the Raidou games worth it for someone who loves the SMT series and paranormal 1920s Japan detective atmosphere, but doesn't really like action RPGs or action games in general? I have always been really intrigued by the series but the idea of real-time combat put me off from buying one of them. If so should I just skip to Raidou 2 as seems to be the general consensus?

Similarly is Digital Devil Saga about on a par with Nocturne when it comes to quality of the combat, dungeons, character building etc? (everything except the lack of demon recruitment)

I also hear a lot of good things about Devil Survivor but I can't get past the character designs/general aesthetics and the Evangelion-with-names-changed-around story of DS2. I know almost nothing of the story of DS1 though.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I haven't played Raidou 1 but 2 is a fun game that is definitely worth playing. I actually was grinding a lot just for fun because I was enjoying the combat so I don't think it should ruin the game for you.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 26, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Accordion Man posted:

I haven't played Raidou 1 but 2 is a fun game that is definitely worth playing. I actually was grinding a lot just for fun because I was enjoying the combat so I don't it should ruin the game for you.

They really improved the battle system's complexity by adding an additional demon. Raidou 1 only has one demon for you to summon at a time, and there's no negotiation, so battles aren't nearly as dynamic.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Hey everyone, I'm sure you've heard of this hilarious new meme "doge" but does anyone here have any Megami Tensei themed doge photoshops, like perhaps doge as a final boss or something of that sort? Thanks a lot!

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Sid Vicious posted:

Hey everyone, I'm sure you've heard of this hilarious new meme "doge" but does anyone here have any Megami Tensei themed doge photoshops, like perhaps doge as a final boss or something of that sort? Thanks a lot!

Please be a bad joke post, please be a bad joke post, please be a bad joke post, please be a bad joke post, please be a bad joke post.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Unmature posted:

Please be a bad joke post, please be a bad joke post, please be a bad joke post, please be a bad joke post, please be a bad joke post.

WindmillSlayer posted:

ask for doge photoshops in 3 games threads

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Does everyone in games not have a sense of humor, or is it just you?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I googled it and only got pictures of Koromaru, (no doge varient) sorry, sid.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Sid Vicious posted:

http://i.imgur.com/1Ob3zgJ.jpg

Here you go, God Bless

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Holy poo poo

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

It's beautiful in ways I cannot imagine.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
One of my friends won't believe me about the insanity that was the last Persona presentation (the Persona 4 Golden Anime announcement). Did anyone happen to get a recording of the whole thing (or most of it, or even just some of it)?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The Unholy Ghost posted:

One of my friends won't believe me about the insanity that was the last Persona presentation (the Persona 4 Golden Anime announcement). Did anyone happen to get a recording of the whole thing (or most of it, or even just some of it)?

Why not do something less painful with your life than watching it, like playing Drakengard or sticking your hand in a meat-grinder?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

What? The amount of :wtc: that presentation gave us was beautiful.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Why not do something less painful with your life than watching it, like playing Drakengard or sticking your hand in a meat-grinder?

Okay let's be fair to Drakengard, its equivalent to sticking up to your elbow into the grinder, then cooking and willingly eating the arm meat.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

asvodel posted:

Similarly is Digital Devil Saga about on a par with Nocturne when it comes to quality of the combat, dungeons, character building etc? (everything except the lack of demon recruitment)

I also hear a lot of good things about Devil Survivor but I can't get past the character designs/general aesthetics and the Evangelion-with-names-changed-around story of DS2. I know almost nothing of the story of DS1 though.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
DDS1 is pretty great, I'm not sure if I'd say "on par" with Nocturne but I enjoyed it a lot. Since there's no fusion or negotiation (you're just stuck with your party and their demon forms) it can be said to be a bit simpler. DDS2 is kind of goofy and overall not nearly as good as DDS1 but I'm glad I played it to get closure at least.

Devil Survivor 1's plot is basically a SMT one. Demons invade Tokyo, it gets sealed, and society slowly breaks down. It's not bad, though the main hook for me was the gameplay which is very addictive (and frustrating). DS2 is pretty much just as dumb as you're imagining but if you wind up liking DS1's gameplay enough you might not care and still want to play it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Just show him this.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

Devil Survivor 1's plot is basically a SMT one. Demons invade Tokyo, it gets sealed, and society slowly breaks down. It's not bad, though the main hook for me was the gameplay which is very addictive (and frustrating). DS2 is pretty much just as dumb as you're imagining but if you wind up liking DS1's gameplay enough you might not care and still want to play it.

Devil Survivor does do a couple things really well though in terms of plot. With the death clocks it hammers in the fact that unless something is done then people are going to die and in some cases they are going to start dying fast. On a more general note it shows quite well the slow decay of order within the encirclement. At the start a few criminals have gotten hold of the app and while demons were an issue, the number of demons was relatively low. Then as time progressed everything just started to fall apart as various groups went head to head just to prove what they could do. Hell, one of the best fights in the game in terms of story telling is during the last couple days when a demon summoner just flips out and starts attacking people just because he knows that everybody is going to start dying tomorrow due to the death clock so he might as well destroy as much stuff as he can before he dies as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The major difference with Devil Survivor 1 is that it occurs during the direct and obvious buildup to the Apocolypse in both games. SMT tends to be pre/post apocolypse more linearly otherwise. In Devil Survivor the breakdown and gradual buildup to the big event is the main focus while SMT uses the event to define the setting instead.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

According to this link http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Persona_Q:_Shadow_of_the_Labyrinth, Persona Q is coming out on June 5th in Japan. That's before E3! I had no idea it was so close to release.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, they've already got pre-order cards and stuff up for it, I'm surprised it wasn't already out by this point.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Persona Q is being pushed pretty heavy right now and there will be a Persona Stalker club on the 30th to promote it. We're also expecting a Persona Magazine issue around June 12th, which might just have Persona 5 news from E3. Those magazines sometime leak early but even then it will not be until after the P4 release. (Pokemon's CoroCoro article is supposed to be out on the 15th but those usually leak around the 10th.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wonder if we'll get an actual release date for the NA/EU releases at E3.

I can't wait for Persona 5 A) so I can play it and B) so they stop with the loving Persona games for a while, I'm getting burnt out on this poo poo and none of them are even out yet.