Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Memes in games are a funny thing. Sometimes they are stupid, sometimes unwanted. But the goon reaction is always the icing on the cake. People act like they just saw a furry or got LemonParty'ed.

*meme*
"Oh dear lord gently caress this game forever I hope the devs all get ball cancer!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I suppose the memes are, at least in this game, thematically appropriate. Memes are a byproduct of the internet and Watch Dogs is a game that is basically about what if you could internet the poo poo out of anything you wanted with vague future technology. You won't convince me they aren't stupid though.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

The secret to shooting in this game is to not be bad and use Assault Rifles. Pistols kill on head shots and that's all you should be aiming for. :colbert:

Palpek posted:

I don't think he meant "Steve Urkel firing an AK-47" to literally apply to an AK-47 but as a comparison to how gunplay works as a whole.

That's not how WDs shooting works though. The only rifle that has had too much recoil that I've run into is the AK.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 25, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

I suppose the memes are, at least in this game, thematically appropriate. Memes are a byproduct of the internet and Watch Dogs is a game that is basically about what if you could internet the poo poo out of anything you wanted with vague future technology. You won't convince me they aren't stupid though.
That's just it though. If you admit memes are stupid, and that this theme is completely compatible with memes, then I think you have to admit that game's theme is stupid as well. But so what if it is? Some of the best games are stupid as hell theme-wise; as long as its internally consistent there's no problem.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The theme is stupid. The concept is good, the execution is not good.

edit: But again, I haven't played it because it's not out on PC until tomorrow and I don't even plan on buying it anymore, so everything I've seen about the game comes from watching videos and not actual experience. Maybe the tone is different when you play it, but it all feels very hacked together (no pun intended) from what I've seen. What I know for sure is that meme jokes are dumb, and the game's atmosphere is very inconsistent.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 25, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011
So after messing with driving basically all day I can confirm that it is hosed. Basically they have traction control, stability control, ABS and basically anything to prevent you from steering like an idiot completely turned off. It's like Forza with everything turned off except also they forgot to fully implement the physics. Who thought it would be a good idea is beyond me. The end result is that most cars at speed are loving useless, especially the Elise knock-off. That said a couple cars are okay, mostly the Skyline GT-R knock-off, the SLX and the Type 3 (someone at Ubisoft has some kind of enormous BMW erection) and the Gallardo does alright for itself. Even then, they basically won't do poo poo unless you keep it under what seems like sixty. Good luck running from the cops. :suicide:

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
To be honest, having put a little time into this, I like it more than GTA5. It's more fun to play and feels less empty, the driving feels similar, the gunplay is a bit more lethal and less bullet spongey than most games these days. It's pretty good. The writing is OK but most of the characters are a bit flat, it feels like a lot of blanks aren't being filled in, and the people in the city go around calling you 'the vigilante' when almost everything you do is scummy gangster bullshit and has very little to do with vigilante justice. Kinda weird.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Sedisp posted:

The secret to shooting in this game is to not be bad and use Assault Rifles. Pistols kill on head shots and that's all you should be aiming for. :colbert:

And the suppressed 1911 is loving perfect for most of the shooting if you're playing smart rather than charging in. The shotguns seem to suffer from video game shotgun-itis where the pellets disappear or do gently caress all past 10 or 15 yards, but I blasted on some armored dude out of a convoy with the Saiga 12 fairly close up and:

1) Holy gently caress it sounds amazing
2) Wrecked his poo poo but good

The only rifles I use are burst, either the HK417 or the Golem. Both are solid.

And I like the headshot sound effects :gibs:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I hope the meme billboards scrape the latest stuff from whatsyourmeme.com on a daily basis to piss off as many goons as possible.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Orv posted:

So after messing with driving basically all day I can confirm that it is hosed. Basically they have traction control, stability control, ABS and basically anything to prevent you from steering like an idiot completely turned off. It's like Forza with everything turned off except also they forgot to fully implement the physics. Who thought it would be a good idea is beyond me. The end result is that most cars at speed are loving useless, especially the Elise knock-off. That said a couple cars are okay, mostly the Skyline GT-R knock-off, the SLX and the Type 3 (someone at Ubisoft has some kind of enormous BMW erection) and the Gallardo does alright for itself. Even then, they basically won't do poo poo unless you keep it under what seems like sixty. Good luck running from the cops. :suicide:

Oh yeah, I didn't mention that, the only way to run from the cops in this game (or anyone that's chasing you) is to be driving one of the really, really fast cars or you'll be driving at top speed while they keep up with you forever. You can get lucky with a few hacks that stop some but it never really thins them out enough. You can do that 'hide in car' thing but they almost always just drive up to where you're hiding anyway.

The driving just isn't that fun, but you can definitely work it. I never really found the driving that fun in GTA4/5 either and I think Ubisoft was aping that style of open world driving, which is kinda dumb because I feel like Rockstar gets it wrong. Should have copied Sleeping Dogs.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

cat doter posted:

Oh yeah, I didn't mention that, the only way to run from the cops in this game (or anyone that's chasing you) is to be driving one of the really, really fast cars or you'll be driving at top speed while they keep up with you forever. You can get lucky with a few hacks that stop some but it never really thins them out enough. You can do that 'hide in car' thing but they almost always just drive up to where you're hiding anyway.

The driving just isn't that fun, but you can definitely work it. I never really found the driving that fun in GTA4/5 either and I think Ubisoft was aping that style of open world driving, which is kinda dumb because I feel like Rockstar gets it wrong. Should have copied Sleeping Dogs.

That's not true. I never had any trouble getting rid of cops or chasers while I am in a poo poo car. Hacks work wonders for clearing any tail. The only hard to evade vehicle is the police helicopter in my experience.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh also the thing that looks like someone once had a Noble described to them is okay, but what they did to the Vantage looking thing is unforgivable.

The easiest way to lose the cops is a traffic light hack somewhere downtown followed by getting out of your car and letting them do the same, then run around a building and hide in a car.

E: Ahahaha. So as my previous post may have indicated I basically spent all day messing around with the various luxury sports car knock-offs. I did nothing with the mid-level luxury sedans/coups, and it turns out they do have their assists turned on. They may not be particularly fast, but at least you can drive them. Which is in and of itself another failure for the driving because who wants to drive a Type 1 when they have Lambos and Ferraris available.

Orv fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 25, 2014

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I have a GTX 780 and an i7-4770k. How well can I run this game?

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.

Cyra posted:

I have a GTX 780 and an i7-4770k. How well can I run this game?

I have a 780Ti and i7 4770k and my GPU gets up to about 65 degrees centigrade at max settings when poo poo is happening. I haven't checked my cpu temp though. I have it set to 60 frames per second and 1080p. My friend has the same rig as me and plays at 1440p and says he runs 60fps too just fine.

I mean this is assuming you don't have a buttcoin miner.

Clarification: I have the latest nVidia beta drivers, and this runs about as well as AC4 did on release with its release drivers. I think people who say it runs worse than AC4 did back when are either on older machines or are farming cryptocurrency for someone else.

Lucky Samurai fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 25, 2014

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I have played this for a few hours, it runs smooth on ultra off my ssd with a r9 270x. The driving is OK from the bumper cam. I think there's something wrong with the third person. I've had no problems with the shooting, and the corpses have nice little blood marks on them and splatter. I wish I could baton people at random. The free running is non existent in this game. The skill tree seems robust and skill points seem to come pretty fast. I'm enjoying my experience, and on ultra the game is pretty.

Pros: pretty. Gang hideouts are fun. Lots of side stuff to do. Cracking ctos centres without stepping inside is a fun puzzle. Or you know closer in the door. Different paths available all the time.

Cons: 3rd person driving. Wtf seriously. The story takes itself pretty seriously so far. I'm only in act one. No random beatings for civilians. :-( drinking games only make the screen blurry, aiden doesn't act drunk

\/\/\/ files

HardKase fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 25, 2014

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
How are you all playing? Unlocked via vpn? Edit: Ohhhhhh, dastardly

Steam hasn't even offered preload yet :argh:

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 25, 2014

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
I really, really hope you can reset gang hideouts and poo poo once you've done them all, cause god drat is knocking out a vehicle convoy with an IED during a thunderstorm then peeling out on a crotchrocket with back-up vehicles in hot pursuit fun as hell.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Ubisoft say there's no preload.

Fucks sake.

E: ok, that might just be for the PS4 version.

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 25, 2014

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

WastedJoker posted:

How are you all playing? Unlocked via vpn? Edit: Ohhhhhh, dastardly

Steam hasn't even offered preload yet :argh:

Bunch of stores in my area have it on their shelves for some reason. Saw it at gamestop and fred myer.

Also this game is rad. I love that the mateba autorevolver is the best pistol in the game. It's like a law if you do something cyberpunky you gotta have a mateba in there.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I'm gonna invade other people's games and just hack all their billboard things.

Not even gonna do anything else, just follow them around and make awful awful memes appear everywhere.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

hopterque posted:

I'm gonna invade other people's games and just hack all their billboard things.

Not even gonna do anything else, just follow them around and make awful awful memes appear everywhere.

My opinion of invading and the stupid memes has immediately flip-flopped. :allears:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah all these people going "ugh that's lame and stupid" just aren't thinking about the possibilities. I wonder if there's voice chat or anything to communicate with the people you're invading like the Gesture system in Dark Souls?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Welp, found the one truly good car, and wouldn't you know it it's a... Camero? :confuoot: Still shoddy as gently caress in terms of other car games, but it's manageable when you're not being a goddamn idiot. Apologies for the music, it's the most 'racing game soundtrack' poo poo on there.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
It would be way too farfetched but would be amazing if you could hack the billboards to display the players most embarrassing games or achievements. Just start plastering the Bad Rats King logo everywhere in the city.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ularg posted:

It would be way too farfetched but would be amazing if you could hack the billboards to display the players most embarrassing games or achievements. Just start plastering the Bad Rats King logo everywhere in the city.

This makes me wish you could be all Psycho Mantis with the uPlay connection.

"So, I see you like Far Cry! Do you truly know the definition of insanity? I see you like Assassin games. A fan of submarines eh?"

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

This makes me wish you could be all Psycho Mantis with the uPlay connection.

"So, I see you like Far Cry! Do you truly know the definition of insanity? I see you like Assassin games. A fan of submarines eh?"

There's a room in the game with Far Cry and Ghost Recon 2 game boxes.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Orv posted:

Welp, found the one truly good car, and wouldn't you know it it's a... Camero? :confuoot: Still shoddy as gently caress in terms of other car games, but it's manageable when you're not being a goddamn idiot. Apologies for the music, it's the most 'racing game soundtrack' poo poo on there.

Is all the music as bad as this? :(

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Greenplastic posted:

That's the worst song I found so far in game if that helps.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Greenplastic posted:

It is by far the worst song in the game, hence my choice of it. :v:

DeusModus
Nov 25, 2003

I am not Ben Affleck.

Greenplastic posted:

That music is a lot less terrible than it could be.
I was fully expecting a soundtrack that comprised of terrible dubstep poo poo.

I'd rather listen to awful "generic racing game" music like Yellowcard instead of "LUUUL WUB WUB WUB".

No matter how terrible the soundtrack might be, it can't possibly be any worse than the Saints Row IV soundtrack; but at least they delivered that music on borderline irony.

DeusModus fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 25, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011
I was astonished to find there are only two dubstep songs and one of them only even uses it for a single 'verse'.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Greenplastic posted:

it seems to range from greenday-ish bullshit to a few good songs. The best song I heard yet was not even on the radio though, just in the background of a cutscene for a minute. It's heavier on the greenday-ish end. Yeah, the first thing I do when I get in a car is mash the radio off button.

I can best describe the music in this game as a 2006 high school sophomore's mix tape.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 25, 2014

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Feenix posted:

Memes in games are a funny thing. Sometimes they are stupid, sometimes unwanted. But the goon reaction is always the icing on the cake. People act like they just saw a furry or got LemonParty'ed.

*meme*
"Oh dear lord gently caress this game forever I hope the devs all get ball cancer!"

One time my co-worker showed me a lol cat photo and I yelled at him and told he to get ball cancer and die. This statement is true.

I can't wait to "rage" like gently caress when I buy this game and I keep seeing rickroll, cheeseburger, rage comics, and gay wannabe batman hero making the me gusta face after he hacks a billboard with the feels guy cring on it, lol. Talk about awesome gameplay!

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DeusModus posted:

No matter how terrible the soundtrack might be, it can't possibly be any worse than the Saints Row IV soundtrack; but at least they delivered that music on borderline irony.

I thought we're talking about the radio soundtrack here, and Saints Row 4's was great, especially Mad Decent. :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't think the two are really all that comparable because Saints Row 4 is kind of a different case when it comes to the soundtrack; it's one of those 'ironic humor' dealies that people with no sense of humor try to push on unsuspecting fellow human beings. The joke was originally that dubstep is poo poo, but somewhere along the line 4 lost the joke and it became dubstep the video game. What I learned from playing that game is that using a lovely thing ironically doesn't make it suddenly not be lovely.

The non-electronic parts of 4's radio soundtrack are alright.

DeusModus
Nov 25, 2003

I am not Ben Affleck.

CJacobs posted:

I don't think the two are really all that comparable because Saints Row 4 is kind of a different case when it comes to the soundtrack; it's one of those 'ironic humor' dealies that people with no sense of humor try to push on unsuspecting fellow human beings. The joke was originally that dubstep is poo poo, but somewhere along the line 4 lost the joke and it became dubstep the video game. What I learned from playing that game is that using a lovely thing ironically doesn't make it suddenly not be lovely.

The non-electronic parts of 4's radio soundtrack are alright.

Even though SR4 had a horrible soundtrack, they at least tried to be ironic about it. (Even though ironic poo poo is still poo poo.)

Watch Dogs seems so seriously up its own rear end in a top hat in every way that they would deliver the same horrible soundtrack but with a completely straight face.

But it's okay because the real humor in the game are those cleverly inserted decade-old memes. :allears:

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

It's a bit weird how so few games allow us to insert our own music :(

^^^^ Whining about memes is worse than the memes itself

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

WastedJoker posted:

^^^^ Whining about memes is worse than the memes itself

Debatable, at best.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

DeusModus posted:

Even though SR4 had a horrible soundtrack, they at least tried to be ironic about it. (Even though ironic poo poo is still poo poo.)

Watch Dogs seems so seriously up its own rear end in a top hat in every way that they would deliver the same horrible soundtrack but with a completely straight face.

But it's okay because the real humor in the game are those cleverly inserted decade-old memes. :allears:

Nah the Watch dogs soundtrack seemed pretty good so far, I mean poo poo, there's a Public Enemy song on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
The biggest issue with the soundtrack is that it's completely spread out. There's no solid selection from any one genre, and a lot of the songs from certain artists might be better replaced with other songs of theirs. It's certainly no Radio Vladivostok, but the last time I didn't have exterior music for a video game escapes me anyway.

• Locked thread