Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Darkrenown posted:

If you wipe out the guy who is Kingmaking you, can you then safely win? If so, just savagely assault anyone who appears to be helping you out.

Yes, kingmaker is also extremely expensive so if someone seems abnormally underpowered you know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you already like John Tiller's games then it's very much more of the same. I've mostly been playing that and games from DK Simulations.

EDIT: I found Quang Tri 72 to be really quite playable and good - rolling over US and ARVN forces was a lot simpler than I thought it'd be.

DK Poland and Korsun were ok but seemed a bit easy. If people still play Moscow that might be the ticket. I'm happy so many games exist on this platform.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Alright the RPS let's play sold me on it, count me in as number 6 for the solium infernum game.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 17, 2014

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Neruz posted:

Alright the RPS let's play sold me on it, count me in as number 6 for the solium infernum game.

Let's do this then! Everyone should add their names/emails to the spreadsheet if you haven't already, and we can start the email chain.

Also if we want to do an LP maybe this will be the one that sticks?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Alikchi posted:

Let's do this then! Everyone should add their names/emails to the spreadsheet if you haven't already, and we can start the email chain.

I can keep a text document with my thoughts\plans for each turn to assist in that. It might help me keep track of what I'm doing as much as anything else :v:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Alikchi posted:

What map size / game length do we want?
Small/Normal/Large
Short/normal/Long/Epic

As for the other options I'd say the map type should be whatever the host feels like, places of power should be uncommon and we should play with the expac and census events on.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Large and Epic ovbiously :v:

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I like Large/Long but I could deal with Large/Epic. Agreed on other options.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I think long or normal would be better than epic, goons are goons.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Just spent the last hour reading the whole RPS Let's Play of Solarium Infernum. Goddamn. None of you guys are going to be friends when this is done. I need to buy this game.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

uPen posted:

I think long or normal would be better than epic, goons are goons.

Sounds good.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Chump Farts posted:

DK Poland and Korsun were ok but seemed a bit easy. If people still play Moscow that might be the ticket. I'm happy so many games exist on this platform.

I'm pretty sure the Shenandoah guys released an update for Drive on Moscow to improve the AI.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Sent out email with invite files for Solium Infernum PBEM. If you wanted to play and didn't get one let me know!

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Good luck with that game guys. I have no idea how to play that game, I was even one of the people in Grey's failed LP and I'm almost glad that it didn't get done - it would have shown me to be terrible.

I'm really looking forward to the new version of Distant Worlds. The mods for it will be really interesting.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So are my eyes deceiving me, or do I actually see both Distant Worlds: Universe Edition and a Close Combat game in the "Coming Soon" section of Steam?

Has Matrix finally seen the light?

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So are my eyes deceiving me, or do I actually see both Distant Worlds: Universe Edition and a Close Combat game in the "Coming Soon" section of Steam?

Has Matrix finally seen the light?

Apparently yeah, and while you'd be able to look at the other games by the same publisher as easy as I can, I'm going to get excited and post obvious poo poo anyway. Battle Academy and Panzer Corps are already available, in addition to Pride of Nations and Rise of Prussia returning. Alea Jacta Est has been Greenlit and Pandora: First Contact and Qvadriga are on their way as well.

Not only that but if you buy them from Matrix you get the Matrix download, and the physical copy if you want it (like I do) as well as a Steam key. It's probably more expensive and maybe defeats the purpose to some people but I'm excited. Distant Worlds: Universe in this case especially is apparently going to be their "effort" physical edition version, with an actual printed manual. Only two days to go!

Also this is completely unrelated but Panzer Tactics from the DS is getting a HD remake and is out soon: http://store.steampowered.com/app/277630

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I posted a bunch of hex and counter board wargames for sale in SA Mart if anyone is interested. I wouldn't normally cross post but since these are pretty niche, this is probably my best bet for finding anyone into these things.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636081

These are lying around my house gathering dust. If you or anyone you know are interested, please let me know.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 21, 2014

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Any reaction on the Matrix forums to their finally opening up to Steam? Comments on why the change or how successful it is?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Tomn posted:

Any reaction on the Matrix forums to their finally opening up to Steam? Comments on why the change or how successful it is?

They've been on steam for a while. According to the official line steam is just one of the things they do if they think it suits the game, which is why they've been pushing the more mainstream games there. The fact that they keep pushing more games there and have been holding weekly sales since last summer probably means that they realize its working and they now need to find a way to get in on it without their rabid fanbase going too crazy because they bought that game for full price five years ago and now its 50% off!!!!!!!!!!

Also valve is massively expanding the store, which most people don't really realize. They've added as many games to steam since January 2014 as they did in the entirety of 2013. I wouldn't be surprised if they eased up massively on the work required to get a game published on steam. If you're a small outfit and aren't sure if there are any people who'll buy your game on steam, going through that effort might not seem worth it.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You can tell from the amount of crap on the Steam store that they have automated systems that will just take about anything.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Riso posted:

You can tell from the amount of crap on the Steam store that they have automated systems that will just take about anything.

It's semi-automated, but yeah Valve are basically trying to expand Steam to as big as it will go.
If you want to get your game on Steam now is definitely the time to do it and its huge from an indie dev point of view, which personally I think is great because lowering the cost of entry is always a good thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Riso posted:

World in Flames isn't on Steam yet :smug:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

gradenko_2000 posted:

World in Flames isn't on Steam yet :smug:

I am sure they are working on the early release. :smugdog:

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Got a 1600 point overwhelming victory this time in Battles for Italy. I think I really like the system and look forward to trying the other scenarios including Gelb and Velikiye Luki.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Overview of upcoming Slitherine Scifi/Fantasy games, with screenshots and everything.

http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2014/05/slitherine-sci-fi-and-fantasy-games-what-to-look-for/

We've certainly heard about Distant Worlds and Buzz Aldrin, so here's some quotes on the others:

quote:

Warhammer 40K: Armageddon builds on top of the Panzer Corps engine. Asked about what makes this game more than just a WWII war game reskin, the devs say that it’s “not a reskin” but “an improvement”, built around the Warhammer 40K lore as much as possible. They add, “Of course the Panzer Corps engine was perfect for the game. But, this isn’t a reskin of Panzer Corps with a Warhammer 40K theme. It’s still hex-based but you can switch that off. Then there’s the very nice new army customization feature, the multiplayer, and it’s a big improvement as the game was molded around the lore and not the other way around”.

quote:

In Legions of Stell, the player will be able to play two factions, which are the Humans and the Machines, and the devs hope to implement new alien factions via updates, which were also part of the original board game but came only with expansions.

quote:

We had our eye on Sovereignty for a while now, a turn-based fantasy strategy game for the PC being developed by The Lordz Games Studio, Illustrious and Gothic Labs. But, we knew very little about it. Well, apart from a long series of delays in production that is. The game combines a strategic layer and a tactical layer and on their webpage, the devs mention different races to play with, heroes, resources, trade routes, a spell tree, diplomacy and turn-based hex based tactical combat.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Holy crap Warhammer 40k in the Panzer Corps engine. That's going to almost cost them a Panzer Corps purchase with that news, because I'll just wait for that.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 22, 2014

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
So, Hegemony: Rome finally came out and I rather like it. It's has the same surprisingly addicting gameplay of drawing pretty borders ad supply lines as the predecessor, but most mechanics are made more interesting and a lot of tedious micromanagement (sheep wars anyone?) was cut. The campaigns are also pretty cool, allowing for a more control in regards to balance and pacing, while still leaving you enough room to gently caress around at your own leisure. Overall, it's a very solid sequel to the interesting, yet flawed original.

So far I'm only somewhat let down by that while IMO the game nails the strategic/logistic Roman modus operandi in a fun and simple manner, the combat itself feels rather generic and doesn't really give that much insight into the uniqueness of Roman legions.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
Begging your indulgence:

This isn't a strategy game, but it's grognardy and from WWII and full of spergy detail, so here we go.

Armchair General just published my review of War Thunder: Ground Forces, which just entered open beta.

Basically, this is the grognard's version of World of Tanks with more realistic engagement ranges and damage mechanics, especially in Simulator mode. Definitely worth checking out if you thought World of Tanks was too arcadey, but have always wanted to drive a Tiger.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I finally beat a battle in Unity of Command!

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Would anyone like to play a PBEM game of War In The Pacific AE, particularly something like the Guadalcanal scenario? I had an opponent in a game but they dropped out. PM or reply.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Any experiences on Civil War II?

Is it worth 32€ 40€ (darn taxes)?

vvvv: Okay, perhaps I wait and see if it ever goes to sale. Thanks.

Banemaster fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 25, 2014

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008
A lot of people bash on the AGEOD games but that one is the only one I own and I enjoy it. Most of the criticisms leveled against it include bad interface and over complexity, which are all true, but if you are passionate about the era (I am) there's nothing out there that can beat it. It's the Civil War version of WITP if you want to look at it that way. The game kind of dumps you into the whole war and leaves you flapping, so you may find yourself restarting a couple times as you figure out the mechanics, but once you start rolling it is enjoyable. Like I said though you do have to enjoy the subject matter. Would not recommend to someone with only a passing interest in recreating the Civil War.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

TonySnow posted:

A lot of people bash on the AGEOD games

I've forgotten why is the case; can someone please remind me?

This is a new OP for Grognard games and I think the old one had an explanation but this new one is a lot lighter. In a Grognard game thread. The shame.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

quote:

A lot of people bash on the AGEOD games

markgreyam posted:

I like them - well, some of them - but I'll admit they have godawful interface design and a very, very clunky engine. AGEOD created a really interesting system that simulates almost everything you'd want in an operational-level wargame, and the games themselves are usually based on fascinating/underappreciated conflicts. But if you try, say, Alea Iacta Est as your first AGEOD game, you should be really into Roman history, because you'll need that boost to push through the AGEOD interface/system learning curve hell.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
They can be also rather slow in processing turns. Pride of Nations being the most egregious example.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

markgreyam posted:

Because nothing is more ornery than an angry grognard. Badgers back down from angry grognards.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Alikchi posted:

I like them - well, some of them - but I'll admit they have godawful interface design and a very, very clunky engine. AGEOD created a really interesting system that simulates almost everything you'd want in an operational-level wargame, and the games themselves are usually based on fascinating/underappreciated conflicts. But if you try, say, Alea Iacta Est as your first AGEOD game, you should be really into Roman history, because you'll need that boost to push through the AGEOD interface/system learning curve hell.

AIE is going to be my first AGEOD game but I'm going to definitely get Pride of Nations and maybe Rise of Prussia at some point.

I'm pretty confident going in, I just found a copy of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire from a second hand book store.

Riso posted:

They can be also rather slow in processing turns. Pride of Nations being the most egregious example.

I still have fond memories of epic Civ 2 games on my PC where if I hadn't removed enough opponents by the end game, I was waiting 3-5 minutes for the AI to do all it needed to do. I reckon I can handle it.

An aside: what's the Goongnard take on Battle Worlds: Kronos?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Alikchi has it right that the key concepts for operational warfare are all there: you need to know where to concentrate your armies where they're most needed, you need to put them under good leaders, and you need to pay close attention to your logistics, but the problem is that the interface, the UI, the overly-artsy map, the particular technical jargon all conspire to make gleaning all the necessary information difficult.

I would really discourage you from getting Pride of Nations unless you're just going to play the battle-scenarios. AGEOD is at its best when it's simulating wars and battles - the economic/diplomatic systems in PoN just don't really add a lot of value.

Also, with regards to turn times, they're rather tolerable on the more focused/small-scale games like the ACW one, but PoN will have you waiting for as long as 10 minutes per turn.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
As someone who attempted to play Pride of Nations, don't get Pride of Nations. AJE is very good, and I found Wars in America II to be excellent. The forces involved are small enough to be manageable, and there is no production and demographics etc, but rather a very simple system of activating events and such. It doesn't even have the corps/command system (like the one in the Civil War games, for example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Colonial Air Force posted:

I finally beat a battle in Unity of Command!

Congratulations on your conquest of Sevastopol!