Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DirkGently
Jan 14, 2008
When restarting a DW campaign and talking with my players, I realized that some of the basic playbooks are a bit too trapped in their D&D legacy and feel a bit boring compared to newer playbooks (Dashing Hero, Mage, Slayer, etc). With that being said, most of them now have good alternatives that give the player more narrative agency... except for the Bard and the Ranger.

So, partially inspired by Fenarisk's modernizing of all the playbooks, I decided to take a crack at an improved Ranger -- with a little more Aragorn and a lot more Robin Hood. Here is the Google Doc: New Ranger.

I would very much like input -- specifically on general power levels and how this feels compared to the old Ranger (whether you think your Ranger players would be happy with the switch) but also to playbooks which have vast abilities to narratively affect the world -- I am thinking about all of the excellent mage playbooks specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
So I have a player for a game who's looking to play Clock Mage, and he's got some... interesting ideas about how chaining time/event manipulation works together that's a bit broken, but he does raise a point, I think.

His scenario is this: He uses Time Skip to go behind an enemy and attacks them. He takes too much damage on Hack and Slash from a bad roll, so he Rewinds to before he attacked. Instead of attacking, he instead slows down time and waits. His thinking is that since his "action" is to slow time and wait, the failure he rewound just vanishes (rewind says the old roll result applies to your new action if you do something else).

This doesn't make intuitive sense, but I'm not really sure how to explain it without just slapping him and saying "no", which isn't very conducive to gaming. Any other thoughts/ideas/suggestions? Does Gnome have as solution for this kind of Rewind conundrum in mind?

Handgun Phonics fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 25, 2014

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Building a formal Adventure Front for the party's next session and this is what I've built. There's not a lot to it but I think I can scale up what's currently built. This is what I have so far

quote:

Dangers:

​Druids
​Impulse: to clear the land of occupiers

Grim Portents:
Other Druids arrive to assist
Goblin village razed
Spirit Totems erected
Impending Doom: Usurpation

Goblins
Impulse: Eliminate all who attack them

Grim Portents:
​Greenskin allies arrive to assist
​Spirit totems are destroyed
​The land is defiled in Revenge
​Impending Doom: ​Destruction

Stakes:
Can the two sides be reconciled?
Who will claim the land?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

Working on a thing. Based off a Boxer, Martial Artist, or any other Sports Fight Man. I like personal, class-specific currencies, and combo systems in games, so that's what the class is based around. Advanced moves, whenever they happen, will be mostly based around helping you gain Combo Points, giving you more stuff to do with your combo points, expanding your Signature Move, and helping you find dudes to punch for money.

Also, punchey guys are my favorite types of fighters.

E: also totally stole the Assassin "Contract Killer" thing because it's neat

I'd set the damage die to at least d8 by default and find something else for Momentum to do, because based on starting moves this guy looks like a worse Fighter. I too am a fan of little resource pools, and this could be something cool, but right now all it has that the default fighter doesn't (mechanically speaking) is Prize Fighting.

Maybe instead of having combo accumulate as you Hack & Slash, you roll to hold Combo when you fight/engage something and spend it to do things. Iunno, my concern with it in the current form is that you might not get to actually Hack & Slash enough in a given combat to use all the moves tied to Combo, or if you do it'd take a while when instead it'd be more fun to just have a bunch of abilities you can chain together on the fly.

In that case, maybe turn Signature Move into the list of things you can roll/spend Combo on, and then Momentum becomes another hold that affects Sig Move. Example: when you succeed on a Signature Move roll, gain 1 Momentum. When you roll Signature Move, add your Momentum to the roll. If you miss a Signature Move roll or are otherwise disrupted, lose all held Momentum.

From here you can have advanced moves that play off of these resource pools, Momentum-based ones making you better the more/longer you fight and Combo-based ones adding to your options when fighting.

Just spitballin', but I do think it needs a bit more otherwise it's strictly worse mechanically than a Fighter who says his weapon is his fists.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

So my crew is approaching 3 months/level 8, and Im wondering what people do when the party hits level 10? Im running through a hack of a megadungeon from dnd 3.5 along with some fronts in the city, and its got another 15 months or so in it (of escalating difficulty). Should the party retire and I reduce the difficulty? Should I let them trade out of class powers? I don't picture compendium classes as giving them anything more then another 3 months.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

For example the idea that a particular room is warded against shadow magic or whatever he actually uses will just cause him to question whether or not I'm creating situations that specifically cause him to fail. And then there goes 30 minutes I need to explain that taking away your resources is one of the things I can do to take you out of your comfort zone, that the DM guide specifically tells me to do it sometimes, etc. I'm still testing the waters to see what exactly he, and my other players of course, want out of this game, so I'm not sure where to take my DMing style to. I'm kind of taking shots in the dark this early on.

Okay, here's the thing...DW is really not a game for people who can't handle the idea of anything bad happening to their character ever. That's pretty much the long and the short of it; everything about *World systems is based around the idea that when you do something, success or failure, something will happen.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Fenarisk posted:

Not 100% sure on these yet, but starting moves for The Bulwark

Living Rampart
• Brutal: +2 damage to attacks with your method of defense
• Inspiring: spending hold from Defend heals the ally and you for your level

This is mostly pretty cool! Some of the options are literally just better than equivalents on a Fighter's signature weapon, though. And 'Inspiring' would get ridiculously over-powerful at higher levels. Even at moderate levels. Maybe tone that down to just, gets extra +armor or quick healing equal to the hold spent.

Handgun Phonics posted:

So I have a player for a game who's looking to play Clock Mage,
This doesn't make intuitive sense

There is no way to introduce time travel without it being grotesquely powerful for lateral moves like that, or hindering it with some 'you take that much damage from contrived bullshit' every time they get clever.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Generic Octopus posted:

I'd set the damage die to at least d8 by default and find something else for Momentum to do, because based on starting moves this guy looks like a worse Fighter. I too am a fan of little resource pools, and this could be something cool, but right now all it has that the default fighter doesn't (mechanically speaking) is Prize Fighting.

Maybe instead of having combo accumulate as you Hack & Slash, you roll to hold Combo when you fight/engage something and spend it to do things. Iunno, my concern with it in the current form is that you might not get to actually Hack & Slash enough in a given combat to use all the moves tied to Combo, or if you do it'd take a while when instead it'd be more fun to just have a bunch of abilities you can chain together on the fly.

In that case, maybe turn Signature Move into the list of things you can roll/spend Combo on, and then Momentum becomes another hold that affects Sig Move. Example: when you succeed on a Signature Move roll, gain 1 Momentum. When you roll Signature Move, add your Momentum to the roll. If you miss a Signature Move roll or are otherwise disrupted, lose all held Momentum.

From here you can have advanced moves that play off of these resource pools, Momentum-based ones making you better the more/longer you fight and Combo-based ones adding to your options when fighting.

Just spitballin', but I do think it needs a bit more otherwise it's strictly worse mechanically than a Fighter who says his weapon is his fists.

Yeah I get what you're saying. I'll work on it a bit. I can see where you're coming from, in regards to it being a lovely fighter. I'm relying too heavily on Advanced Moves "fixing" the class when it needs to be rad from the beginning. Thanks for the advice!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Okay, here's the thing...DW is really not a game for people who can't handle the idea of anything bad happening to their character ever. That's pretty much the long and the short of it; everything about *World systems is based around the idea that when you do something, success or failure, something will happen.

I know, and I think he knows, but he slips sometimes. He was a lot better this game. I got his Playbook, and I'll probably upload it in a bit.

Speaking of this game, our fighter died again. Was it the Mouth Giant, the 20 foot abomination that the party scaled like a rock wall? Or was it the horde of rat-monsters that swarmed them at every opportunity? Or maybe it was the almost invincible Football Golems? No. Well, kind of. They tried to barter with the football golems but things went sour, and one of them grabbed the fighter's throat. They deactivated them, but had the unfortunate side effect of locking the hand down, and everyone kept loving up as they tried to three-stooges the hand off of him. Kicks, prying, melting, nothing worked, so he suffocated. He saved (11 I think) but stepped one foot closer to the curse that's eating his soul, and now the only person in the part with a charisma bonus is refusing to ever speak on behalf of the party ever again.

All in all, good game.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Re: the Boxer: When you successfully hack and slash is not a move trigger, generally. It's not something happening in the fiction, it's something happening in the mechanics. Tying it to fists also precludes the use of fighters who use their feet or knees or elbows or wrestle or whatever.

I'm not quite sure how you WOULD bring it into a fictional trigger, but I'm just throwing it out there.

Maybe 'When you land a series of bigger and better blows without being interrupted'. Or maybe tie it to a stance - When you use your signature fighting style to engage a foe, gain 1 combo point etc

I'd also note that actually getting up to three points for the Signature Move is going to be kind of challenging. Even with only a D4 damage die, you're not wildly likely to be H&Sing more than a couple of times against each individual enemy, and you lose your points when you move on. So you build up enough to do your signature move aaaaand then the enemy's done and you're starting again.

I'd keep Combo Points as only being lost when the fight is over. Keeps it straightforward, lets the player do more cool things more often.

Overall, it seems very mechanical and not very strong on setting up interesting fiction, but I can see where you're going with it, and it's cool. I really like the idea of a character who mechanically builds big combos and uses that to do awesome moves, beat-em-up style, but it always seems very hard to work into RPGs, because they're team games and because they really tend to reward you for doing things in QUICKLY, rather than flashily.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Handgun Phonics posted:

So I have a player for a game who's looking to play Clock Mage, and he's got some... interesting ideas about how chaining time/event manipulation works together that's a bit broken, but he does raise a point, I think.

His scenario is this: He uses Time Skip to go behind an enemy and attacks them. He takes too much damage on Hack and Slash from a bad roll, so he Rewinds to before he attacked. Instead of attacking, he instead slows down time and waits. His thinking is that since his "action" is to slow time and wait, the failure he rewound just vanishes (rewind says the old roll result applies to your new action if you do something else).

Hanging around within sword reach of an enemy sounds like Defy Danger to me. If he's slowing things down so that he can't be hit I think there's another Clock Mage move that will let him do that and make the DD roll based on +INT.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

thespaceinvader posted:

Re: the Boxer: When you successfully hack and slash is not a move trigger, generally. It's not something happening in the fiction, it's something happening in the mechanics. Tying it to fists also precludes the use of fighters who use their feet or knees or elbows or wrestle or whatever.

I'm not quite sure how you WOULD bring it into a fictional trigger, but I'm just throwing it out there.

Maybe 'When you land a series of bigger and better blows without being interrupted'. Or maybe tie it to a stance - When you use your signature fighting style to engage a foe, gain 1 combo point etc

I'd word it as "whenever you land a solid hit on an enemy, without a weapon" or something to that effect. The only thing that might get excluded here is a grappling style of fighting.

EDIT: I just got an idea. How about some mechanic like "Every time you land a solid hit on an enemy, your next attack deals one extra d4 damage, up to a maximum of 4d4 damage. When there is no enemy left or you miss an attack, your next attack reverts to 1d4 damage." This simulates your character ramping up the speed of his attacks with momentum. You could tie it in with advanced moves that allow you to ramp it up to 5d4 or start off at 2d4 or something like that.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 25, 2014

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The awkward wording and non-fictional triggers is a combination of me repeatedly rewording something because it didn't translate properly from my head to paper, and also I'm kind of bad at this apparently.

All good advice, though. I'm working on the updated version right now. Some things have been shuffled around and changed.

E: Some of the advanced moves I had in mind, that apply to the Combo Point system, were moves that let you spend momentum to swap targets (like, if you're at 3, and you're feeling like you could take care of this guy, do your attack and then spend a combo point to jump to another dude with your two remaining points and continue on), or moves that bumped your damage die for your 3rd combo point to a d10 or something. The idea was to start fights off as a slightly shittier fighter and pinball around building momentum and laying out flashier and more absurd moves until you're just a tornado of fist and hate, but I think I overdid the "shittier fighter" part too much.

But yeah, wording is bad and tying damage die to combo points is a bad idea.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 25, 2014

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Damage should ramp up after each successful hit, combo points should allow you to perform crazy poo poo like stuns, knocking them around and hitting multiple opponents in one strike and so on. All of that should revert to zero when the fight ends. Unfortunately DW is a game where fights, at least from my experience, don't last all that long.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 25, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Re: the Boxer: When you successfully hack and slash is not a move trigger, generally.

This isn't correct, incidentally. You can completely have moves that trigger off mechanics; there's plenty of classes with "when you Hack and Slash, on a 12+" around.

It's much easier to give feedback if you post the text instead of a picture of the sheet.

Signature Move: just make this trigger when you spend 3 combo points while attacking, instead of having this weird "when you spend points you immediately gain the benefits assuming your next move is an attack" trigger.

Momentum is... interesting. It's too much of a pain to track, since it involves constantly swapping dice. Instead, you should just have the +damage die options be +1 damage ongoing, since that's equivalent to upping your die by one size. Beyond that, it's just a very mechanical move, which doesn't work that great in DW. You're not thinking fiction first enough.

Strength of Arms can just be replaced with "when you aren't wearing any armour or wielding a shield, gain +X armour" where X is a static value. It's less of a pain to word, but aside from that I honestly like the move.

Your alignment moves are good. The Pits and The Streets are both good racial moves. The Dynasty not so much - "once per combat" effects are weird and I'm not a fan of them, plus Momentum needs changes to be less mechanical.

For a first draft this isn't half bad!

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Deltasquid posted:

I'd word it as "whenever you land a solid hit on an enemy, without a weapon" or something to that effect. The only thing that might get excluded here is a grappling style of fighting.

EDIT: I just got an idea. How about some mechanic like "Every time you land a solid hit on an enemy, your next attack deals one extra d4 damage, up to a maximum of 4d4 damage. When there is no enemy left or you miss an attack, your next attack reverts to 1d4 damage." This simulates your character ramping up the speed of his attacks with momentum. You could tie it in with advanced moves that allow you to ramp it up to 5d4 or start off at 2d4 or something like that.

I like the move, but it needs more fictional choices.

Momentum
When you consecutively land a blow or successfully grapple with a foe while unarmed, increase your combo by 1, to a maximum of 3. So long as you keep attacking the same foe, on a successful attack, choose one of the following for each point in combo:

Your next attack is particularly devastating; deal +Combo damage.
You push them back or corner them, limiting their choice of actions.
You rattle or daze them, opening them to attack from someone else.
You impress or awe onlookers, gaining their respect or adoration.

When you change targets, or miss while attacking, reduce your combo by two, to a minimum of 0. When you run out of opponents, your combo resets to 0.

This may be too powerful if you get to maintain a high rate of combo.

There's plenty of opportunities to create advanced moves that play with the combo mechanic, spending it like hold or changing the fictional triggers for gaining or losing it.

Pain Train
When you incapacitate your foe and move onto the next opponent without hesitating or slowing down, maintain your combo.

K.O!
When you have an opponent backed into a corner and you have a minimum of 3 combo, spend 3 combo to knock your opponent out.

Babe Magnet posted:

The awkward wording and non-fictional triggers is a combination of me repeatedly rewording something because it didn't translate properly from my head to paper, and also I'm kind of bad at this apparently.

All good advice, though. I'm working on the updated version right now. Some things have been shuffled around and changed.

E: Some of the advanced moves I had in mind, that apply to the Combo Point system, were moves that let you spend momentum to swap targets (like, if you're at 3, and you're feeling like you could take care of this guy, do your attack and then spend a combo point to jump to another dude with your two remaining points and continue on), or moves that bumped your damage die for your 3rd combo point to a d10 or something. The idea was to start fights off as a slightly shittier fighter and pinball around building momentum and laying out flashier and more absurd moves until you're just a tornado of fist and hate, but I think I overdid the "shittier fighter" part too much.

But yeah, wording is bad and tying damage die to combo points is a bad idea.

Writing classes is one of the hardest things to start hacking. There's a lot of moving parts to consider, and you really have to imbed yourself in the fiction of the archetype you're trying to express.

In boxing or fighting movies your protagonist is usually characterized by their tenacity and persistence. While they get turned into hamburger, their opponent wears themselves out, the hero rallies themselves and makes a comeback. That's definitely a theme you may want to explore.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

^^^ I like some of the options you've presented concerning expenditure of Combo Points, but you're right in that it's tough to add a variety of effects and not have the mechanic be overpowered. I don't see why actions like "disabling, killing, or otherwise removing a foe from the fight allows you to maintain momentum into the next bout" can't be moved into the Advanced Moves! That way it comes at a cost (a different advanced move) or you have to "earn" it by leveling up a bit.

Leaned heavier on the fiction, messed with some stats, added more options to the Signature Move, lessened the penalty on Lose Momentum (kind of; see 2 Combo Points), changed The Dynasty background.

The Prize Fighter posted:

Damage = D6
Health = 8+CON

Drives
Fame:
Be Recognized for your triumphs.

Fortune:
Accrue a large amount of coin, all at once.

Glory:
Personally defeat a powerful foe.

Backgrounds
The Pits:
You were raised in the hole, on the sands, amidst the crowds of onlookers betting their fortunes on your strength. Versatility is your blood. When in combat, you are always aware of your immediate surroundings.

The Streets:
You were a hood rat. A thug. Or just a poor, ambitious fool with a good right hook. You made a lot of friends on your way to the top. Those less fortunate than yourself are more likely to work for, or assist you.

The Dynasty:
You were always going to be one of the greats. You’ve got the bloodline to prove it. And the training. If you have a short time to prepare for a fight or any other strenuous activity, you start it with 1 combo point.

Bonds
____________ and I had a great sparring session today.
____________ couldn’t throw a punch to save their life.
____________ sets ‘em up, and I knock ‘em down.
____________ would make a good coach.

Starting Moves
Signature Move
You’ve been around the block, developing your unique style. But this is the big leagues, and every fighter worth their salt has a calling card. Name your Signature Move, describe how it looks, and choose two of the customizations below:
- Forceful
- Stun
- +1D4 damage
- Draws Attention
- Strikes multiple opponents
- Gain 1 combo point
- +1 forward to next defensive action
- +1 forward to next offensive action
To perform your Signature Move, you must spend 3 combo points. If you use your Signature Move to defeat a powerful foe or accomplish some other spectacular feat, you excite a crowd, invigorating your allies and striking fear into the hearts of your opponents.

Momentum
Once the pain train starts, it doesn’t stop. Every time you follow a strike, grapple, or any other offensive action with another similar action, you earn a single Combo Point. Your combo points accumulate to a total of three, and they are spent to augment actions or perform spectacular and flashy feats of strength and agility.
- Spend one point to act offensively or defensively at +1, or to increase your damage by 1d4.
- Spend two points to immediately reposition yourself to a location within hand or close reach of your current target, giving you +1 forward against them, or to force your opponent into a disadvantageous position, giving your allies +1 forward against them. You may, instead, spend two points to immediately attempt a second attack with just your base damage die. If the target of this second attack is not the same as the target of your first, you do not Lose Momentum.
- Spend three points to perform your Signature Move, or to perform a feat of exceptional strength or agility. You may also spend three points to gain a +2 forward to your next action, provided it is something you can accomplish in a short amount of time.

You cannot earn and spend combo points at the same time. You may spend combo points in any manner you wish, such as spending three points to move behind an opponent and deal an extra 1d4 damage. You do not have to spend all of your combo points at once. You may not spend multiple combo points on the same augment, but may spend multiple combo points on augments within the same tier. When you miss an attack, are blocked, or are otherwise prevented from striking your opponent, you Lose Momentum, removing all of your accrued combo points. When you exit combat, or change your target, you Lose Momentum.

Prized Fighting
When you have downtime, while in a mid-sized or larger town or city, roll +CHA. On a Hit, you find a fair match for a fair price; 2D8 in tens of coins, and a 1 to 1 matchup. On a 7-9, you find a not-so-favorable fight. Either the pay is less than you’d like, or the odds are definitely not in your favor.

If you lose the fight, take -1 ongoing to Prized Fighting and Carouse until you win another Prized Fight.

Strength of Arms
You forego the use of armor and weaponry, choosing instead to fight with your own pure strength and willpower. Inside the ring, this has suited you well, but out in the wild, you need a little more in terms of defense. If you are not wearing armor, using a shield, or wielding a weapon, you gain 2 armor.

e: added something to Signature Move, inspired by above

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 12:06 on May 25, 2014

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This isn't correct, incidentally. You can completely have moves that trigger off mechanics; there's plenty of classes with "when you Hack and Slash, on a 12+" around.

Yeah, I think the way this works is when you include a move's name in the trigger of another move, the move's name and its trigger are interchangeable. So when you say "When you Hack and Slash with an improvised weapon", you're saying "When you [attack an enemy in melee] with an improvised weapon".

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bigup DJ posted:

Yeah, I think the way this works is when you include a move's name in the trigger of another move, the move's name and its trigger are interchangeable. So when you say "When you Hack and Slash with an improvised weapon", you're saying "When you [attack an enemy in melee] with an improvised weapon".

You're specifically not, though, which is important. "When you Hack and Slash" only triggers when Hack and Slash triggers. "When you attack" triggers when you attack, which includes times when you're not triggering Hack and Slash (e.g. when attacking an enemy who isn't a position to defend themselves, or when rolling Backstab).

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

^^^ I like some of the options you've presented concerning expenditure of Combo Points, but you're right in that it's tough to add a variety of effects and not have the mechanic be overpowered.

There's nothing whatsoever wrong with piling a bunch of options onto a single currency mechanic. Ninja, Time Mage, and Winter Mage all do exactly that, and are fun as hell and also not broken. (Mostly. Time manipulation is always pretty loving broke.)

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

NinjaDebugger posted:

There's nothing whatsoever wrong with piling a bunch of options onto a single currency mechanic. Ninja, Time Mage, and Winter Mage all do exactly that, and are fun as hell and also not broken. (Mostly. Time manipulation is always pretty loving broke.)

When you're building a class that revolves around a currency mechanic like the time mage or the slayer, or even the fae or the fool, you can have a bunch of advanced moves that play with giving the player new ways to earn and spend that currency. Don't feel like you have to load all those options into a single move, spread them out. You could star the player out with one option for spending 1 Combo, one option for spending 2 Combo, and one option for spending 3 Combo, and they can take advanced moves to unlock packages of new options.

Since you have the max combo set at 3, you could also key some moves off rolling+combo in certain situations instead of rolling for whatever modifier.

There may be a better word for the core resource than Combo, too. I've no idea what it would be - Vim, maybe?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
"Tempo" would fit nicely in the momentum theme he's making.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Rolling +Combo is a good idea. Going to rework some bits now that I'm not tired. Cut down on word count and clarify some bits, definitely.

Combo Points was always a place-holder name. It's too "game"-ey. Tempo's neat, was thinking about just calling it Momentum to fit with the move name, but that's something I can work on later. "Combo Points" helps me organize things in my head.

E:

Momentum posted:

Once the pain train starts, it doesn’t stop. Every time you follow a strike, grapple, or any other offensive action with another similar action, you earn a single point of Momentum. Your Momentum accumulates to a total of three points, and is spent to augment actions or perform spectacular and flashy feats of strength and agility.
- Spend one point to increase your damage by 1d4.
- Spend two points to immediately attempt a second attack with just your base damage die. If the target of this second attack is not the same as the target of your first, you do not Lose Momentum.
- Spend three points to perform your Signature Move.

You may spend Momentum in any combination of augmentations you wish, but you cannot pick the same augmentation more than once in a single expenditure. You do not have to spend all of your Momentum at once. You cannot earn Momentum while spending Momentum, unless otherwise stated. When you miss an attack, are blocked, or are otherwise prevented from striking your opponent, you Lose Momentum, removing all of your accrued combo points. When you exit combat, or change your target, you Lose Momentum.

Cut down on wordosity, simplified it to basic options to begin with to open up to customization with Advanced Moves and to prevent bloat because that move was getting a bit ridiculous. I'm going to use the "roll +Momentum" idea in the advanced moves, as well. Going to work on those right now, actually.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 25, 2014

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

To use Momentum, roll as normal in regards to your action and add +Momentum for each point spent.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. Does this mean if I have three momentum, I could add +3 by spending 1, and then +2 by spending another, or?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah it's kind of awkward, wording that. I'm trying to get across that, for every point of momentum you spend, you get +1 to your action. Like if you perform your signature move on a guy, you spend 3 points, and it gives you +3 to your hack and slash or whatever you'd consider your signature move at the time. Let me see if I can word it better.

Wait poo poo this is all making it way too easy to hit dudes with your power moves. I'm just going to remove the +momentum part and save it for Advanced Moves.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 25, 2014

DirkGently
Jan 14, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah it's kind of awkward, wording that. I'm trying to get across that, for every point of momentum you spend, you get +1 to your action. Like if you perform your signature move on a guy, you spend 3 points, and it gives you +3 to your hack and slash or whatever you'd consider your signature move at the time. Let me see if I can word it better.

Wait poo poo this is all making it way too easy to hit dudes with your power moves. I'm just going to remove the +momentum part and save it for Advanced Moves.

This is all pretty cool.

It may not be your intention (and it is definitely very 'gamey') but I sorta like the idea of a trade-off between momentum and moves. What I mean is that you would always get to add your +momentum roll to anything when acting against your current foe.

Then, you would have to decide whether or not you blow your momentum for a big, showy finisher type move or keep with the smaller bonus.

Echoing what other people have said, I am also concerned that it is too hard to get to full Momentum and too easy to lose it -- have you considered whether a 'risk' mechanic might work better than simple point spending.

So, for example, risk 1 point to add damage to an attack. If you miss the attack, you lose the point (if you hit, you don't). This, keeps the idea you are working with where whiffing makes you lose momentum but in a way that lets you keep consistently higher Momentum.

So, for me, the move would look something like this (my apologies for riffing off of a cool concept):

quote:

Once the pain train starts, it doesn't stop. Each time you either attack or defend against the attacks of the same foe or group of foes, you earn a single point of Momentum -- moves that require Momentum cannot generate Momentum. Your Momentum accumulates to a total of four points, and is spent to augment actions or perform spectacular and flashy feats of strength and agility.

You are able to roll +momentum on any hack and slash, defy danger, or defend action against these foes (this is instead of your normal bonus).

- Risk one point to break bones, hit nerve points, and wreck your opponent. Describe the strike. Add +d4 damage and the messy tag. If you miss the attack, the point is lost.
- Risk one point to roll with an attack, barely moving your body and seeing the attack miss by inches. When damage is rolled against you, you may roll a second dice and take the worst of the two. If the second dice is higher, you lose the point.
- Risk one point to Defy-Danger, performing an act of jaw-dropping acrobatics that dramatically changes your position on the battlefield -- totally surprising your opponents. If you miss the Defy Danger roll, you lose the point.
-- Risk one point when you are struck by your enemy but before damage. You tense for the blow, hardening yourself against potential damage. Use your current Momentum score (not including the point spent) instead of your Armor rating. If this attack doesn't deals damage over your armor, you do not lose the point.
- You move like water, difficult to pin down and everywhere at once. Risk one point to attack and defend against an additional opponent (roll once, the roll applies to all). If you miss an attack or defense against that opponent, the point is lost.

You may spend Momentum in any combination of augmentations you wish. When you end combat completely, you lose all Momentum. When you switch opponents or include a new opponent, you lose 1 momentum.

In addition, whenever an enemy does damage against you, so long as you roll with the punch or turn it against them, you gain 1 Momentum.

I would make the second attack thing an advanced move -- you need to have more utility in your basic moves. Also, I would still like for the Momentum spenders to have some more options in the fiction but that would take some heavy thinking...

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I like the idea of increasing the risk and increasing the reward for the mechanic. You should never feel like you're doing good enough by hanging out at low momentum levels. You should want to become a whirlwind of pain and misery, but it shouldn't completely wreck you if you don't bop a dude on the head hard enough. I think, instead of "risking" your built up combo points or momentum or whatever, I can just remove the inability to gain points while spending them. That way you can kind of hover at 1 point and be a little more effective (as Advanced Moves will add more abilities to use at each "tier") or start to build up to flashier moves, without worrying about killing the guy you're setting up for something big and losing it all just because. This also prevents someone with stellar rolls from just mashing out Signature Move after Signature Move, which defeats the whole purpose of it being something grand and spectacular. You're still back to square one if you botch your assault or whatever you're doing, so the risk is still there, but you don't have to worry about suffering the same penalty if you want to try something ridiculous instead of just hanging out at at safe zone of 1 or 2.

I'll probably roll the "maintain momentum by defeating foes" thing into the base move, and I'll change the flat bonuses in the base move from mechanical to fictional.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 25, 2014

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
I just noticed it, but do you ever specify that the prize fighter can deal damage unarmed? Most fist-fighting playbooks specify something like "your body is a weapon with the Hand tag" or that sort of thing. I could see it fitting into the "strength of arms" move, maybe rather than "you have +2 armor", set it as "your body has the tags (Hand, 2 armor)" or something similar?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That's a good idea, actually. I was thinking about throwing in something along the lines of "at any moment of your choosing, your hands may have the precise tag" or something for people who want to be less Tyson and more Kenshiro, so I'll throw it all into Strength of Arms. Thanks!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I always thought moves which basically change other moves would be fine referencing the move by name - adding options to an existing move is one thing, but creating an entirely new piece of fiction (i.e. you're a mad combo-y duder) feels like it needs to stand on its own two feet (/fists) with its own fiction. It doesn't feel like 'move that adds options to H&S' it feels like 'fundamental foundation of the character' - and for me that generally wants its own move establishing its own fiction rather than leaning on H&S, the same way the Initiate does with Sublime Understanding of the Body.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Momentum posted:

Once the pain train starts, it doesn’t stop. Every time you follow a strike, grapple, or any other offensive action with another similar action, you earn a single point of Momentum. Your Momentum may accumulate to a limit of three points, and is spent to augment actions or perform spectacular and flashy feats of strength and agility.
- Spend one point give yourself +1 to your next offensive or defensive action.
- Spend two points to immediately make an offensive action after you perform a successful defensive action.

You may spend Momentum in any combination of augmentations you wish, but you cannot pick the same augmentation more than once in a single expenditure. You do not have to spend all of your Momentum at once. You can earn Momentum while spending Momentum. When you miss an attack, are blocked, or are otherwise prevented from striking your opponent or performing your action, you Lose Momentum, removing all of your accrued combo points. Unless you personally kill, knock out, or otherwise remove your target from the current fight, you Lose Momentum. At the end of combat, you Lose Momentum.

"Final" version of Momentum. It could possibly change drastically after some play-testing, but for now I think I've struck a decent balance with the core mechanics. Taking an enemy out of the fight, as long as it was you personally that did it, allows you to keep Momentum going as you segue into your next bout. I rolled it into the base move. As well, to reward you for spending combo points to do something special instead of giving you the same punishment as missing an attack, as long as you use it to perform a similar action to the one you previously did, using a combo point doesn't prevent you from gaining another one after the fact. So as long as your crazy flaming wind-up punch hits, you're back at 1 combo point instead of sitting at 0. You still Lose Momentum if you fudge a roll or leave combat or switch targets while your current one is still able to fight (unless an Advanced Move lets you do otherwise) though. Base Combo Point (not final name) expenditure leans a little heavier on the fiction, except for the Special move, but that all depends on what your special move is, really.

Less interesting now, is Gear options.

Gear posted:

Your load is 8+STR. You start with dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight) and 3 tickets to your next fight. Choose your attire:
- Town Clothes, Hat (1 weight)
- Martial Arts Gi, White Belt (1 weight)
- Wrist and Ankle Wrappings, Cloth Shorts (1 weight)
Choose your weapon:
- Padded Cloth Gloves (0 weight)
- Tightly Bound Ropes (0 weight)
- Leather Caestus (0 weight)
Choose one:
- Healing Potion and Bandages (1 use, 0 weight; 3 uses, 0 weight)
- Healing Potion and Antitoxin (1 use, 0 weight; 1 use, 0 weight)

Moving on to Advanced Moves.

E:

Advanced Moves posted:

When you gain a level from 2-5, choose from these moves.
- Dempsey Roll
You begin to move erratically, pulling your arms in and ducking low, sliding about haphazardly, throwing wild and unpredictable jabs and kicks, etc. As long as you maintain at least 1 Momentum, increase your armor by 1.
- Rabbit Punch
An often-lethal strike styled after a hunting technique. Spend 1 Momentum to give your attack the Messy tag. If your strike can reach the back of the target’s head or neck, you may attempt to Backstab them for 1D6 extra damage.
- Lure
Goad your opponent into attacking you, luring them into revealing a weakness, or tricking them into a more vulnerable position. Spend 1 Momentum to give either yourself or your allies +1 forward against your target.
- Rope-A-Dope
You force your opponent into a wall, a table, a tree, or into a particularly precarious position. As long as you maintain at least 1 Momentum, your target is unable to escape or move away from that position, though they may fight back as normal.
- Training Regimen
A lifetime of hard, calculated physical training as left you with quite the talent for it. When you opt to Bolster, add 1 to your preparation total.
- Catch
You’ve opted to use your head to take the blunt force of an attack or hazard in order to have a cleaner shot with your own counter. If you are on the receiving end of a damaging action that is not the direct result of your own failed action, you may opt to take the hit in exchange for 1 Momentum.
- Float Like a Butterfly…
You dance around the battlefield, always just out of your opponent’s field of vision. You may spend 1 Momentum to immediately reposition yourself to a location within or just outside of Hand distance to your target, or spend 2 Momentum to perform a feat of great agility.
- Stick and Move
They just can’t seem to get rid of you. You’re in their face one moment, and out of their reach the next. As long as you maintain Momentum, you may treat your attacks as if they had the Hand and Close tags.
- The Sweet Science
To the average person, fighting is something you do to survive. To you, it’s much more, a lifestyle. It’s in your blood. But there’s more to this life than having a good punch. You have to have a presence. You may add +STR in addition to your normal roll when attempting to Parley or otherwise convince someone else to do something for you.

When you gain a level from 6-10, choose from these moves or the level 2-5 moves.
- Heavyweight
You’ve always found that it’s best to hit things as hard as you can, so that’s exactly what you’ve conditioned yourself to do. As you’ve adventured, you’ve gained a bit more mass. You’re a little wider, a little heavier, but you’ve still got the quickness. Take +1 ongoing as long as you’re using your weight and size to your advantage. You may also opt to spend 2 Momentum to give your attack the following tags: Heavy, +1 Damage. You may not have more than one weight class.
- Welterweight
A carefully monitored diet and a strict cardio regimen has transformed your body into a lithe fighting machine. You’ve lost a little weight, but what you’ve gained in quickness makes up for it, and you still hit like a truck. Take +1 ongoing as long as you act with speed and agility, and you may spend 2 Momentum to immediately perform an offensive action in reaction to an attack or hazard, whether your defensive action was successful or not. You may not have more than one weight class.
- Champion’s Focus
The world seems to slow down around you. It’s just you and your task. You’ve played the fight out a thousand times in your head, and you’re ready. It’s go time. As long as you focus solely on your target, shutting yourself out to the rest of the world, you do not suffer the effects of Lose Momentum.
- Dempsey Stroll
Requires: Dempsey Roll
You walk with a certain swagger, an odd step, or a calculated and rigid stance. To the outside world, you appear just a bit off, but those in-the-know realize that you’ve got your guard up, ready for anything. You’ve become one with the Dempsey Roll. As long as you maintain at least 1 Momentum, increase your armor by 2. You are also never caught by surprise.
- … Sting Like a Bee
Requires: Float Like a Butterfly…
His hands can’t hit what his eyes can’t see. But yours can. AND THEY WILL. If you spend 1 Momentum to reposition yourself around your opponent, you may immediately deal 1d6+Momentum damage as well.
- Stick and Move, New and Improved
Requires: Stick and Move
You’ve gotten really good at controlling when and where you’d like your opponent to hit. Absurdly good, actually. As long as you maintain Momentum, you may treat your attacks as if they had the Hand, Close, and Reach tags.
- Cyclone of Fist and Misery
Your fists are as fast as lightning, your kicks are invisible to the naked eye. If your sensei could see you before, he would be proud. If he could see you now, he’d be terrified. Your Momentum can accumulate to a new total cap of four.
- Widowmaker
You’ve seen terrifying displays of strength. Horrible abuses of unnatural power. Absurd, mind-breaking theatrics of violence. And it’s given you some really good ideas. The next time you get a little time in to try out some new things in a controlled environment, redesign your Signature Move. You may choose three customizations this time, and you may choose from the list below in addition to the standard options:

-Near
-Elemental
-Explosive
-Debilitating

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 26, 2014

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
After a party member spent most of their time on an airship cooking and curing meat from the various dangerous / endangered wildlife with attacked along the way, I gave writing a compendium class a try.

The Chef

Any thoughts? Ways to improve it, or other moves that would fit?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

"Final" version of Momentum. It could possibly change drastically after some play-testing, but for now I think I've struck a decent balance with the core mechanics. Taking an enemy out of the fight, as long as it was you personally that did it, allows you to keep Momentum going as you segue into your next bout. I rolled it into the base move. As well, to reward you for spending combo points to do something special instead of giving you the same punishment as missing an attack, as long as you use it to perform a similar action to the one you previously did, using a combo point doesn't prevent you from gaining another one after the fact. So as long as your crazy flaming wind-up punch hits, you're back at 1 combo point instead of sitting at 0. You still Lose Momentum if you fudge a roll or leave combat or switch targets while your current one is still able to fight (unless an Advanced Move lets you do otherwise) though. Base Combo Point (not final name) expenditure leans a little heavier on the fiction, except for the Special move, but that all depends on what your special move is, really.

Less interesting now, is Gear options.

Moving on to Advanced Moves.

E:

I'd play this, I think. Looks fun. E: still think it would be nice with some wrassler/grappler options, though - but that's probably different enough to be another class. Is there a DW Brawler of some sort?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

thespaceinvader posted:

I'd play this, I think. Looks fun. E: still think it would be nice with some wrassler/grappler options, though - but that's probably different enough to be another class. Is there a DW Brawler of some sort?

Not as such, but the Initiate class could easily be reskinned to be brawler or luchador themed, and a friend of mine is making a wrestler class (but taking his sweet-rear end time).

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Fenarisk made a brawler, originally called the Brute. It's still labeled as the Brute in the OP, but it's definitely the Brawler! Worth checking out.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
The talk of tempo makes me want to make a street performer/urban dancer style class, including advanced moves that let you bust out into a flash mob with 'bystanders' in a busy urban environment. My wife loves dance movies so I have a rich vein to tap.

EscortMission
Mar 4, 2009

Come with me
if you want to live.

madadric posted:

The talk of tempo makes me want to make a street performer/urban dancer style class, including advanced moves that let you bust out into a flash mob with 'bystanders' in a busy urban environment. My wife loves dance movies so I have a rich vein to tap.

Backgrounds:

Shark

Jet

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The Supreme Court posted:

Fenarisk made a brawler, originally called the Brute. It's still labeled as the Brute in the OP, but it's definitely the Brawler! Worth checking out.

Brute's cool, but with the exception of the 'hit enemies with other enemies' thing, it's not really a wrestler/grappler theme so much as a juggernaut.

Brawler being 4e D&D's slightly wimpy because of action economy grappling Fighter.

I'm thinking of a guy mixing some of the showmanship options from the boxer guy above with a core move that opens 'When you grab an enemy you can...' but at that point I have to start thinking and thinking is hard. I might write something up at some point.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Not really a huge fan of the Bulwark considering my reworked paladin can do something similar, and I can't think of many advanced moves to vary it. Would probably work really great as a compendium class though as an add on to fighter/paladin/barbarian.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, despite basically all of the advanced moves named with Boxing terminology in mind, it seems open enough to where you could make a Karate dude or a Muay Thai dude or Kickboxer or just whatever sort of martial arts guy that hits a lot. You could be a Zangief-style combo grappler, probably? Holds, throws, locks, etc. are probably out of the scope of this playbook specifically, but if the Prize Fighter works out well in playtesting I might be tempted to use my decent knowledge of wrestling mechanics, rules, and lore to write up a class specifically for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Go for it. The more I look, the more the Prize Fighter and the Brawler/Wrestler seem like different concepts - try to include too much in a specific playbook like this and you wind up working against yourself with the limited resources.

The Prize Fighter's looking good to me right now.