Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I also hated IIIDS, and from what I've heard, they actually made it more frustrating to play than the NES version. No idea how they managed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Motto posted:

I also hated IIIDS, and from what I've heard, they actually made it more frustrating to play than the NES version. No idea how they managed that.

Discourage you from switching jobs, reduce the enemies per encounter just to raise everything's HP to stupid levels, add exposition to an otherwise breezy, well-paced game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

reduce the enemies per encounter just to raise everything's HP to stupid levels
If this were the only change, I could live with that. They also gave enemies (bosses in particular) multiple turns per round without rebalancing the player at all.

quote:

add exposition to an otherwise breezy, well-paced game.
Well, to be completely fair, the plot of the original FF3 was "four orphans, all strangely named after expletives, fall into a pit and decide that drinking water from a mysterious spring will be fun and exciting to try."

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I want to know the vocalists' reactions to first reading these lyrics.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

"This shall be my magnum opus".

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Butt Ghost posted:

They couldn't tell, and they didn't even wanna know?

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

Butt Ghost posted:

Pretty sure he wrote those lyrics.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

If this were the only change, I could live with that. They also gave enemies (bosses in particular) multiple turns per round without rebalancing the player at all.

Yeah, I knew things weren't going to be good when I got to the boss after you get your party, but before you get jobs, got wiped, and had to reload outside the cave he was at the bottom of. I got past him, but I quit shortly after thanks to its other issues.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

Cha-ching

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Butt Ghost posted:

"Wasn't going to get a record deal anyways!"

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

I had forgotten that, thanks. Guy made FF XI just as painful, if not more.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Really there are only 2 real bad points in FF3DS, the no save points in dungeons EVER (to be fair that was in the original as well, but the original was like 20 years old already when it came out and that poo poo was super outdated then), and then loving everything up with the class system (this is the big one, between penalizing you for switching classes and throwing the class balance in really weird dumb places, it was just...dumb).

The actual buffing enemy HP to make up for less enemies and making bosses attack multiple times or whatever was fine, I(and other people I know) was able to beat it pretty easily without grinding or a guide or anything, so I don't think the difficulty was really an issue. A 2 hour long final dungeon with no save points was though, what the hell. I guess it did make Cloud of Darkness, a pretty easy final boss by most standards, a lot more intense then it ever needed to be because holy poo poo if i die to this stupid boss I lose 2 hours of my life.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
A bit late to the party but if we're talkin sweet jams the best FF Overworld theme by far has to be Crossing Those Hills. It's really amazingly chill and fits the exploring well.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A bit late to the party but if we're talkin sweet jams the best FF Overworld theme by far has to be Crossing Those Hills. It's really amazingly chill and fits the exploring well.

That song makes me slightly nauseous whenever I hear it. Absolutely no idea why, it's a brown-note thing.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Oxxidation posted:

That song makes me slightly nauseous whenever I hear it. Absolutely no idea why, it's a brown-note thing.

I am truly sorry for you.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
I never did beat cloud of darkness in FF3DS, a part of me still feels empty to this day because of it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

goldjas posted:

The actual buffing enemy HP to make up for less enemies and making bosses attack multiple times or whatever was fine, I(and other people I know) was able to beat it pretty easily without grinding or a guide or anything, so I don't think the difficulty was really an issue.

Aside from, y'know, Doga and Unei, who could TPW you if their AI decided to doublecast their most powerful spells at you. Well, most bosses had an unlucky gently caress you, it wasn't just them. FF3DS is a living testament to awful design decisions.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I never did beat cloud of darkness in FF3DS, a part of me still feels empty to this day because of it

My little brother unplugged my memory card when I was in the middle of saving my FFIV Hard-Type game.

I was in the core of the moon after having beaten all the secret bosses.

No jury in the world would have convicted me.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Facepalm Ranger posted:

"Replay" the NES game?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Facepalm Ranger posted:

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I am truly sorry for you.

Ditto.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Kanfy posted:

The Man With the Machine Gun was totally Laguna's theme. :colbert:

Although it's probably too cool for the biggest klutz in history.

Technically it's the alternative party's battle theme, and Uematsu choose not to compose proper FFVIII themes because he "found that the effect of character themes weren't as great as [...] in FF 6 and 7." :o: but then went on to compose themes for everyone in FFIX

Paperhouse posted:

Maria and Draco :v:

Je suis l’obscurité, je suis une femme de couleurs.
Notre amour est plus brillant que le soleil émail diamant. :france:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BloodWulfe posted:

Technically it's the alternative party's battle theme, and Uematsu choose not to compose proper FFVIII themes because he "found that the effect of character themes weren't as great as [...] in FF 6 and 7." :o: but then went on to compose themes for everyone in FFIX

I think he meant more, "Gee, the only characters who have any screen time are Squall and Rinoa so you probably wouldn't get to hear the songs for everyone else anyway."

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
What the hell is Uematsu even doing these days anyway? The last thing I remember him doing was Lost Odyssey's soundtrack, which is a game I actually did like, but after that as far as I know he basically fell off the face of the earth. Although honestly the current guy who's doing Final Fantasy's music now (I forget his name), is pretty legit, as we can see in songs like Blinded by the Light or Titan's theme in FFXIV.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Uematsu's a freelancer, now, and he's currently working on Project Phoenix.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

I think he meant more, "Gee, the only characters who have any screen time are Squall and Rinoa so you probably wouldn't get to hear the songs for everyone else anyway."

Basically. Try to associate a track with Zell or Irvine, any track. It's impossible! They just appear and tag along without musical accompaniment.

goldjas posted:

What the hell is Uematsu even doing these days anyway? The last thing I remember him doing was Lost Odyssey's soundtrack, which is a game I actually did like, but after that as far as I know he basically fell off the face of the earth. Although honestly the current guy who's doing Final Fantasy's music now (I forget his name), is pretty legit, as we can see in songs like Blinded by the Light or Titan's theme in FFXIV.

Not much that we've seen, but he's been consistently busy freelancing since leaving Square. He did some stuff for Mistwalker (Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey) in the late 2000s, and a ton of Japan-only stuff after that. The Black Mages disbanded in 2010, which is the last "big" thing I can associate with his name.

He shows up and performs at Distant Worlds concerts every once in a while for what it's worth, and I believe he's working on that violinist-turned-game-developers JRPG.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
He also did the soundtrack for The Last Story, but I couldn't tell you whether it was good or not since I only ever got it to run the title screen at 40fps. His post-Black Mages group, Earthbound Papas, did one album and mostly just makes appearances at FF concerts these days.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

He also did the soundtrack for The Last Story, but I couldn't tell you whether it was good or not since I only ever got it to run the title screen at 40fps.

I totally forgot about that, but trying to recall it now I only really remember the theme, which is pleasant.

He also released one album titled Dancing Dad (no joke) after The Black Mages disbanded that was really good.

e: oh you edited that in. anyways, it came out pretty recently (late 2013) so he's still doing stuff, and a second earthbound papas album seems pretty reasonable to expect

BloodWulfe fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 25, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I didn't even know about that one, thanks! Dancing Dad isn't being sold anywhere convenient like Amazon, is it? Time to brush off my old Japanese, I guess.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'd just like to point out that Dancing Dad is the best album name. IIRC it was supposed to be Dancing Mad but Square didn't allow him to use it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The best overworld theme is Searching for Friends, and the second best is A New World. Everyone else is fighting for third. :colbert:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I think we can draw the conclusion that every map theme is the best map theme in the series.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Kanfy posted:

I'd just like to point out that Dancing Dad is the best album name. IIRC it was supposed to be Dancing Mad but Square didn't allow him to use it.

Yes and yes. If memory serves from an old OSV article, at a festival last year he announced "I totally wanted to name it Dancing Mad, but a 'certain company' told me I couldn't," and thus Dancing Dad was born. I definitely remember that he wanted to compose entirely original tracks, but opted not to because it would sell way worse. I may be paraphrasing a bit there, but it's a practical [and accurate] point. Kind of a bummer actually. :(

There's no legit online release (and I don't know if it's kosher to post direct VGM junk in games anymore) but it exists and is, in fact, a cool album.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BloodWulfe posted:

There's no legit online release (and I don't know if it's kosher to post direct VGM junk in games anymore) but it exists and is, in fact, a cool album.

It's kosher. Heck, LPs regularly post links to game songs.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

BloodWulfe posted:

Basically. Try to associate a track with Zell or Irvine, any track. It's impossible! They just appear and tag along without musical accompaniment.

Not much that we've seen, but he's been consistently busy freelancing since leaving Square. He did some stuff for Mistwalker (Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey) in the late 2000s, and a ton of Japan-only stuff after that. The Black Mages disbanded in 2010, which is the last "big" thing I can associate with his name.

He shows up and performs at Distant Worlds concerts every once in a while for what it's worth, and I believe he's working on that violinist-turned-game-developers JRPG.

Most composers don't really work for a company fulltime these days it seems like. Makes way more sense to freelance the work out to a guy rather than pay him a yearly salary when he's probably not working year round.

I also didn't know The Black Mages broke up and he made a new band, need to check that out if I can find a way to listen to it online.

Edit: Basically I'm asking for a way to listen to it online

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Edit: Basically I'm asking for a way to listen to it online

Look up the The Earthbound Papas.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Fuckin' a, are we talking about music again

FFXIV has kinda won me way over. It hits the Uematsu notes and stylings now and then, but does its own thing too. Like the Thanalan theme.

Also, here that is being performed by one cool dude.

The main city themes are kind of funny because they're so blatantly influenced by film scores. Like Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and Pirates of the Caribbean meets How to Train Your Dragon,

I'm pretty sure Titan's theme has been posted here too, but for all two of you who don't know by now, the fight does something really neat where each phase is accompanied by a separate piece, each building intensity from the previous until the last one, where growly vocals + tribal chanting kicks in. Here's all of 'em, with song titles/times marked in the video description (plus bonus footage of MMO gameplay which, as always, tends to look like a lot of chaos unless you've actually played it)

And there's the 'decisive battle' theme, "Torn from the Heavens", which accompanies a few select story fights and some world bosses, using a lot of recurring riffs from FFXIV's score plus the prelude.

The White Dragon posted:

One Winged Angel actually has vocals on-disc, but they've been crunched down so they sound like they're midi.

Bells, frogs, big cherries, jinglebells, magic cheese, SEPHIROF

Mazed fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 25, 2014

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Mazed posted:

Fuckin' a, are we talking about music again

FFXIV has kinda won me way over. It hits the Uematsu notes and stylings now and then, but does its own thing too. Like the Thanalan theme.

Also, here that is being performed by one cool dude.

The main city themes are kind of funny because they're so blatantly influenced by film scores. Like Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and Pirates of the Caribbean meets How to Train Your Dragon,

I'm pretty sure Titan's theme has been posted here too, but for all two of you who don't know by now, the fight does something really neat where each phase is accompanied by a separate piece, each building intensity from the previous until the last one, where growly vocals + tribal chanting kicks in. Here's all of 'em, with song titles/times marked in the video description (plus bonus footage of MMO gameplay which, as always, tends to look like a lot of chaos unless you've actually played it)

And there's the 'decisive battle' theme, "Torn from the Heavens", which accompanies a few select story fights and some world bosses, using a lot of recurring riffs from FFXIV's score plus the prelude.

Bells, frogs, big cherries, jinglebells, magic cheese, SEPHIROF

FFXII's music is the best Star Wars music.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Facepalm Ranger posted:

FFXII's music is the best Star Wars music.

Remember that part at the beginning when Balthier shoots a hadouken at a TIE Fighter??

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

The White Dragon posted:

He also did the soundtrack for The Last Story, but I couldn't tell you whether it was good or not since I only ever got it to run the title screen at 40fps. His post-Black Mages group, Earthbound Papas, did one album and mostly just makes appearances at FF concerts these days.

Last Story has some pretty good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti-7FDUCc80
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBBHF5wou94

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QXRjvKnM1w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Remember that part at the beginning when Balthier shoots a hadouken at a TIE Fighter??

It was Basch, and it was a Kamehameha. :colbert: