Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

i shall be your slightly temperamental and willful yet faithful minion. may you be blessed in your endeavors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Metal Pink Babble posted:

i shall be your slightly temperamental and willful yet faithful minion. may you be blessed in your endeavors.
:tipshat:

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

vOv posted:

wait he wrote that story with the baby-eating aliens? i guess that makes sense in retrospect

oh yeah thats the one where the author completely misunderstands the point and premise of the prisoner's dilemma like 7 times throughout the story

it wasnt terrible i guess

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gus Hobbleton posted:

oh yeah thats the one where the author completely misunderstands the point and premise of the prisoner's dilemma like 7 times throughout the story

it wasnt terrible i guess

how does he misunderstand it? because a while ago i explained it to a literal child, a nine year old, and while it blew his mind he completely grasped the concept and why it is a dilemma. i can't imagine an adult misunderstanding it.

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

how does he misunderstand it? because a while ago i explained it to a literal child, a nine year old, and while it blew his mind he completely grasped the concept and why it is a dilemma. i can't imagine an adult misunderstanding it.

this is the whole basis of the new testament. the unbelievable accomplished through faith. computers are light years ahead of man in following the orders of man using pure faith, but i'm sure god must find them to be abominable in that respect.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
what kind of absolute shithead probates metal pink babble?!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

vOv posted:

the solution i always liked for this is that you do it gradually. start 100% organic, then slowly replace parts of your brain with mechanical parts

the problem with this is that eventually you're a boat.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
never thought I'd be come a boat

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

seven days?

zorak and xylo can eat a bag of dicks

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
herp a derp i moderate the animes and games and i find you're psoting disruptive

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

duTrieux. posted:

the problem with this is that eventually you're a boat.

I understood this reference.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gus Hobbleton posted:

there, finished the culture books.

guess i need some new books

I'm sure he's started working on his next one.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

where's ol' qwerty bastard, i thought he'd have shown up by now

gently caress dude i work like 12 hours a day now, without access to a computer

my days of spergy arguing in the scifi thread are behind me i'm afraid. now i just skim it for good book recommendations (current book status: about halfway through "the dreaming void"; it's still pretty good)

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

vOv posted:

I understood this reference.

i thought it was just a nonsequitur and still laughed, explain

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Amethyst posted:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Heresiarch posted:

i thought it was just a nonsequitur and still laughed, explain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Sagebrush posted:

basically they meet some aliens who are super low tech compared to the humans. if the aliens get spooked and shoot the humans, they will die because the human technology is so superior. if they dont shoot, they might die anyway, because the humans might shoot them for no reason. the humans dont give a poo poo because they're fine either way. this is described as a text book prisoner's dilemma at least a half dozen times

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Gus Hobbleton posted:

basically they meet some aliens who are super low tech compared to the humans. if the aliens get spooked and shoot the humans, they will die because the human technology is so superior. if they dont shoot, they might die anyway, because the humans might shoot them for no reason. the humans dont give a poo poo because they're fine either way. this is described as a text book prisoner's dilemma at least a half dozen times

you can't have a prisoner's dilemma with only one prisoner :psyduck:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Gus Hobbleton posted:

i don't know why i remember this but it's more of a mutually assured destruction thing: both species are at peace and neither of them really wants to go to war but the baby-eaters literally eat their own babies so some of the humans want to wipe out their species

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

vOv posted:

i don't know why i remember this but it's more of a mutually assured destruction thing: both species are at peace and neither of them really wants to go to war but the baby-eaters literally eat their own babies so some of the humans want to wipe out their species

presented as a prisoner's dilemma because the author is a moron

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

i always thought it was weird how yudkowsky, who is entirely against the whole 'death is a part of life' thing, decided that the ending in which the aliens integrate humanity and effectively get rid of all pain and unhappiness is the bad ending

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QJNyzn4jxY

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol i had a ship of theseus problem with a dell latitude i used to have

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

vOv posted:

that comes later and is used not terribly as a spring-board for the idea that different cultures may have different concepts of suffering and good and then introduces another alien species that sees us as being as bad as the baby eaters seem to us. there was no mutually assured destruction in the prisoner's dilemma, only the baby eaters were at risk

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

good movie

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

christ, i was just talking about this with my wife the other day, how did i miss that

i am so flowers for algernon recently

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Heresiarch posted:

christ, i was just talking about this with my wife the other day, how did i miss that

i am so flowers for algernon recently

for what it's worth i think it's funnier as a non sequitor

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
X Men was ok. Idk where Kitty got that bullshit back in time power from, Ellen Page is corny as gently caress, all the First Class people owned and I wish the whole movie was them. Needed some more fights. Watching Jennifer Lawrence gently caress people up with her legs was mighty fun to watch but it needed more mutant-on-mutant action

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
finished cryptonomicon. beginning and end were really good but the middle slogged and i really couldve done without the chapterly Waterhouse Family Boner Status Updates

in fact still think you couldve cut all the present day poo poo and had a perfectly good novel about Waterhouse forrest gumping his way through wwII and shaftoe shaftoeing it up

read that and snow crash, is there any other good neal stephenson, I heard most of his newer stuff is bad

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anathem was pretty good, but Reamde was pretty bad. Diamond Age is pretty enjoyable. The Baroque Cycle is pretty massive and features great great grandfathers of Shaftoe and Waterhouse doing whatever it is they're doing. YMMV with enjoyment of these ridiculously huge volumes.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 25, 2014

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

cryptonomincon is the last readable thing by stephenson

the diamond age is really good imho but i have a thing for books with metanarratives in them so ymmv

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

Anathem was pretty good, but Reamde was pretty bad. Diamond Age is pretty enjoyable. The Baroque Cycle is pretty massive and features great great grandfathers of Shaftoe and Waterhouse doing whatever it is they're doing. YMMV with enjoyment of these ridiculously huge volumes.

this is a wise post

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
i started reading against a dark background because i remember it being suggested earlier in this thread

this is a weird loving book

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

i would definitely read more stories set in the against a dark background universe

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

vOv posted:

i would definitely read more stories set in the against a dark background universe

hell yes

just remembered why you will never be able to and became sad

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

:(

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

if nothing else i'm really curious as to why the hell the solar system is so far away from all the other stars

vOv fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 25, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

wish people wouldn't post that unspoiled, the passage where you discover that is quite late and one of the high points of the book for me

rogue stars are a real thing known to happen, they can be ejected from a galaxy by the right gravity at the right time just like satellites can be ejected from a planet. a rogue star with several habitable planets is unlikely in the extreme but it's a big universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

haveblue posted:

a rogue star with several habitable planets is unlikely in the extreme but it's a big universe

is it actually that unlikely? i wouldn't be surprised if the intergalactic gaps were as full of random stars as the interplanetary gaps in our solar system are full of asteroids, for the same reason

• Locked thread