Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Kitchner posted:

I think genuine naivety evaporates pretty fast though, but is sort of maintained as a facade.

He's described in the books as simple, but the books also point out that simple isn't the same as stupid and that you'd "have to be pretty complex to be as simple as he is."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Happy 25th! Reread or relisten to Night Watch to celebrate. Unless you're a nerd with a social life or something.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Feet of Clay has been the weakest book of the series to me so far. I'm only a little ways through Jingo at the moment, mind. And I do wonder if Guards! Guards! will remain the peak...

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Long Earh is $1.99 on Kindle today.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

VagueRant posted:

Feet of Clay has been the weakest book of the series to me so far. I'm only a little ways through Jingo at the moment, mind. And I do wonder if Guards! Guards! will remain the peak...
At least one other book in the Watch series (Night Watch) definitely tops Guards Guards. Guards is good, though, I'd put it in the series' top 10.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Almost worth it.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

At least one other book in the Watch series (Night Watch) definitely tops Guards Guards. Guards is good, though, I'd put it in the series' top 10.
Glad to hear it. I enjoyed Guards! Guards!, but I always felt like it had more potential than it delivered.

Also Jingo is already definitely better than Men at Arms and Feet of Clay.

quote:

'We-ell, no point in going to war unless you're on the winning side,' said Nobby[...]
'Nobby, you was always on the winning side, the reason bein', you used to lurk aroun' the edges to see who was winning and then pull the right uniform off'f some poor dead sod. I used to hear the generals kept an eye on what you were wearin' so they'd know how the battle was going.'
:allears:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
The one after Jingo, The Fifth Elephant, is one of my favorites, too. You've got some great Discworld ahead of you.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I love Feet of Clay to little pieces, you guys seriously didn't care for it?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I've been working my way through the audio books at work. I've got to say, Nigel Planer is rather disappointing as a narrator, compared to Stephen Briggs.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 26, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

YggiDee posted:

I love Feet of Clay to little pieces, you guys seriously didn't care for it?
I liked it.

WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So I have always been interested in Terry Pratchett books but have never had any idea where the hell to start.
I saw this link on the first page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld_reading_order#Reading_order

So is there a group I should start with and read all of those or would I be best served starting with book one "The Colour of Magic" and just plowing through the books?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So I have always been interested in Terry Pratchett books but have never had any idea where the hell to start.

So is there a group I should start with and read all of those or would I be best served starting with book one "The Colour of Magic" and just plowing through the books?

Narrative-wise, it definitely makes sense to read them in published order. Unfortunately that means you'll be starting with some of the weakest books in the series; they generally get better as time goes on. The early books aren't bad, but they aren't good representatives of the awesomeness your friends have been recommending to you.

If you're a fan of old-school pulpy fantasy, or you have a good tolerance for light, silly poo poo, then just read in published order. The first few books are straightforward parodies of pulp fantasy tropes and only later does the series develop meaningful plot.

If that doesn't sound particularly interesting I'd read in published order except skipping the "Rincewind" series (The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Sourcery, Eric, Interesting Times, and The Last Continent, which are mostly the straightforward fantasy parodies) and also Equal Rites ('cause it blows). Go back and read those later (don't skip them forever; Interesting Times is quite good at the very least). Also, skip Mort ('cause it's mediocre and not a good intro to the series) until just before or just after Moving Pictures.

It's worth noting that if you do read them in published order or the order I recommend, you won't be reading about the same characters two books in a row (Discworld is split up into several sub-series) - but you will be reading in chronological order, in-universe, which is helpful in my opinion, especially when characters and events cross over between the sub-series.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I actually like Equal Rites. It has the Liars, who are just neato, and lots of nicely observed details about Disc life. It just doesn't quite fit with the other books (though really only in how it portrays Granny W).

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I suggest starting with the Night Watch books; they're a good introduction to the city of Ankh-Morpork, and the city is, in my opinion, the central character of the books.

I'd start out like this: Guards, Guards! > Men at Arms > Feet of Clay.

After that, you can go pretty much anywhere that interests you. I'd recommend starting the Witch books at Lords and Ladies, and I'd recommend reading Reaper Man from the Death books and only reading the others if you are interested. Reading the other books will show you enough of Death to make Reaper Man good as a standalone, which is fortunate, because Mort is fairly lovely as far as Discworld books go.

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009

Khizan posted:

I'd recommend starting the Witch books at Lords and Ladies

This is terrible advice. Witches Abroad is hands-down one of the funniest books I have ever read. It was the second Discworld book I read and sold me on the series. (The first was Jingo, which is okay but doesn't compare to Witches Abroad).

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
A lot of people recommended starting with Guards! Guards! and that worked for me.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Thanks for the replies, I'll see what I find on sale for my Kindle first basically and kinda go from there. Either the Night Watch books(or some other series) or the plain first book from the series and binge my way through. I'll report back at some point

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Cacto posted:

This is terrible advice. Witches Abroad is hands-down one of the funniest books I have ever read. It was the second Discworld book I read and sold me on the series. (The first was Jingo, which is okay but doesn't compare to Witches Abroad).

Witches Abroad is great. Wyrd Sisters is - in my opinion - even better. It's gotta be my second most re-read Discworld book, behind Night Watch.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Witches Abroad suffers from having a great last half and taking forever to get there, but it's definitely worth reading. Everything involving Lily is solid gold.

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
I liked the whole fairy tale subversion schtick that makes up most of the book. The farmhouse and the dwarves were good.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

DontMockMySmock posted:

If that doesn't sound particularly interesting I'd read in published order except skipping the "Rincewind" series (The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Sourcery, Eric, Interesting Times, and The Last Continent, which are mostly the straightforward fantasy parodies) and also Equal Rites ('cause it blows). Go back and read those later (don't skip them forever; Interesting Times is quite good at the very least). Also, skip Mort ('cause it's mediocre and not a good intro to the series) until just before or just after Moving Pictures.

Why are Equal Rites and Mort bad?

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Sam. posted:

Presumably because they're earlier books and the characters aren't as developed as they got to be later. Equal Rites in particular felt weird mainly because magic didn't follow the same rules it did in the later books, and the supposed groundbreaking heroine kind of disappears after that book. I wouldn't call it bad though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Tardigrade posted:

Presumably because they're earlier books and the characters aren't as developed as they got to be later. Equal Rites in particular felt weird mainly because magic didn't follow the same rules it did in the later books, and the supposed groundbreaking heroine kind of disappears after that book. I wouldn't call it bad though.
She returns!

Eventually.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
People say Granny Weatherwax is different in it. It's been like 3 years since I read Equal Rites, I can't really remember her portrayal in that book. What's different about her?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
She's kind of an amalgation of Granny and Nanny - there's a few moments where she's flirting pretty hard with the then-archchancellor (isn't immediate in telling him to get his hands off her tits when they're flying on a broomstick together), not as acerbic/kind of racist to forgeiners as she is in later books, other things that are just slightly off.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Sam. posted:

Mort's mediocre and that's only compared to the high standard of Discworld. I didn't particularly like Equal Rites but it's been a long time so I don't really remember why. I guess the story/characters didn't really grip me.

They're still better than 90% of sci-fi/fantasy (since, after all, 90% of sci-fi/fantasy is crap).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nihilarian posted:

She returns!

Eventually.

In which one?

She's basically Pratchett's standard smart young overly logical female protagonist, but I liked Esk.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

sebmojo posted:

In which one?

She's basically Pratchett's standard smart young overly logical female protagonist, but I liked Esk.

I shall wear Midnight, albeit as a supporting character.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We do get a pretty neat explanation as to where she vanished to.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

sebmojo posted:

In which one?

As stated by jng, she returns in I Shall Wear Midnight, the final book in the Tiffany Aching series.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I've always really liked Mort. I don't really know why, I just have fond memories of it.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
I've been a fan of Pratchett for 20 years, but I couldn't finish Raising Steam :(. Boring, no tension, not funny. Is Snuff good?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Hogge Wild posted:

I've been a fan of Pratchett for 20 years, but I couldn't finish Raising Steam :(. Boring, no tension, not funny. Is Snuff good?

It was better than Raising Steam in my opinion.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hogge Wild posted:

In parts. Snuff has some good ideas and scenes buried in a mess of monologues and poor characterization. If you like Vimes, skip it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
For some reason Vetinari is now the author insert narrator.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just finished Thief Of Time and realised there are no more books about Susan :smith:

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

I just finished Thief Of Time and realised there are no more books about Susan :smith:

:smith:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Corrode posted:

I've always really liked Mort. I don't really know why, I just have fond memories of it.

Mort is where I went from liking the Discworld to loving it (I was reading them in publishing order). It's a pretty drat good book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I liked Mort too, though I did read the Graphic Novel from my local library before the book itself.