Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

SocketSeven posted:

Google cannot convince me that you aren't an rear end in a top hat. Neither can your posting, apparently. :v:

You are the person we share a forums with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Holy poo poo you people get mad when people point out you merge like assholes.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I was in complete agreement till I saw the who was posting.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Man, also with the whole "let people on the onramp merge" debate, nobody is proposing that you suddenly slam on your brakes to let a 92 year old grandpa merge at 30mph. But generally you can see a car coming up the ramp from far enough away that in moderate to heavy traffic you can adjust your speed either by taking your foot off the accelerator (you goddamn tailgating leadfoot bastard,) or if you're at the tail end of a line of cars, speeding up a little bit, both of which have less of an effect on the flow of traffic than someone having to merge from a full stop because nobody could be arsed to give them 40 feet of open road.

Of course, if you're driving in PA this all flies out the window because for some reason everyone likes to stop at the head of the ramp when there's more than two cars on the highway until I lean on my horn.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of on-ramp merges, I was driving behind a guy that was driving 45 MPH on an on-ramp. The ramp is rather long, and he was just cruising at 45 for the entire length of the ramp.. I think he might've been dicking around on his phone as well.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

:fut:

But seriously, you guys are pretty lovely. If traffic is light, speed up/slow down/change lanes, whatever floats your boat. If traffic is heavy, generally it's also moving pretty slow, so really you're just being an rear end by making sure you're one whole car length closer to your destination. The occasions where traffic is both so locked up that you cannot take one of those three actions, and yet moving fast enough that you'd cause a jam by slowing down a tiny bit are vanishingly rare, and trying to argue using that tiny chance as the default is asinine.

Doing that, while at the same time mocking someone else for only presenting one link to something that proves you wrong, is trolling of the absolute highest caliber.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

krnhotwings posted:

Speaking of on-ramp merges, I was driving behind a guy that was driving 45 MPH on an on-ramp. The ramp is rather long, and he was just cruising at 45 for the entire length of the ramp.. I think he might've been dicking around on his phone as well.

As the owner of a car with 100hp of fury, I hate this poo poo. I need to whole on ramp to get up to freeway speeds. Speed the gently caress up

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

SocketSeven posted:

I am angry. ANGRY ABOUT MERGING. :argh:

Not that zipper merging's catching on with the general driving public:

quote:

Despite its 10-year presence on state roads, more than 60 percent of the people who participate in online forums sponsored by the agency to talk about transportation issues said they were unaware the zipper merge is an acceptable driving technique that is included in the latest edition of the Minnesota Driver’s Manual.

http://www.startribune.com/local/205160741.html

Because the number of people who've actually read the latest driver's manual can be counted on one hand.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 25, 2014

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

nm posted:

As the owner of a car with 100hp of fury, I hate this poo poo. I need to whole on ramp to get up to freeway speeds. Speed the gently caress up

Probably the most dickish poo poo I do on a semi-regular basis is pass people on on-ramps (when its a 2/3 lane ramp up to the meter) because they simply will not get up to speed to merge.

I'd rather quickly pass and make it 1 slow merging car instead of 2.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Chinatown posted:

Probably the most dickish poo poo I do on a semi-regular basis is pass people on on-ramps (when its a 2/3 lane ramp up to the meter) because they simply will not get up to speed to merge.

I'd rather quickly pass and make it 1 slow merging car instead of 2.

I do this regularly and for the same reason. Unless there are a few truckers having an elephant race on it, since it is a two lane entrance ramp that starts out flat and leads into a long grinding hill with a slow vehicle lane that no one uses because IM NOT SLOW DAMMIT I AM DOING ALMOST THE SPEED LIMIT WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME :argh:

E: while I am glad you guys had your sperg slapfight over merging, it is tedious as gently caress to read, can you hug it out or something?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

nsaP posted:

Okay. I do this, I also drive a car. I can tell you that I can hear more of the road riding with earbuds than I can in my car with the windows up and the radio on. Especially so if the A/C or heat is cranking. Often times I hear and react to sirens long before cars.

What is your experience with driving and riding with headphones?

Jesus now that sounds loving stupid. I own earbuds, and I love my earbuds for the simple fact that when there is music playing I cant hear a drat thing in the world around me, it's kinda nice when I can be staring straight at my wife and watching her jaw move but hear nothing but the sweet music.

Zipper merging is a cute theory and I don't care how many times studies with professional drivers show it to be "15% more effective" I still it think it sucks for the simple fact that it requires cooperation(:suicide:) between you and the assholes in the other lane.

Venusian Weasel posted:

Pickup drivers are the worst. I've had three bad experiences with them in the last week.
:words:

My most hated vehicles on the road are pickups, anything Dodge, and anything BMW. Years ago I remember a pickup owner telling me that muscle cars suck, pickups are the new muscle cars, his half ton pickup was faster than a Corvette. . . As for Dodge, I believe their entire marketing is designed to attract the worst low life scum of the roads. The vehicles are dirt cheap ( :laffo: quality), they slap the "HEMI" badge on everything to try to convince you it's a race car, and every Dodge vehicle has an aggressive front end to ensure that they will only attract the real rear end in a top hat drivers. BMW is self explanatory.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Years ago I remember a pickup owner telling me that muscle cars suck, pickups are the new muscle cars

I heard/read that somewhere a few years ago, too. This was when manufacturers focusing on SUVs and cheap cars were crap, but you could buy a stripped down pickup with RWD and a V8 for cheap (especially with the relaxed emissions on trucks) and go drag racing.

Not sure if it was true, but sounded plausible to me.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I agree with SocketSeven! Down with ncraP!!

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

IRC Crew is the worst. ncraP president for life.

Wait you can go less than 100 on on-ramps?

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I agree with SocketSeven! Down with ncraP!!

Whats hilarious is that I never even stated that zipper merging was wrong, inefficient, or anything like that.

All I ever said was that the people who advocate blasting down an empty lane at 60 mph, that then end up at a dead stop in front of a traffic cone, begging to be let into a line of already stopped traffic, are assholes.

All the zipper mergers then stepped up and proved what assholes they are.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I have at least ten copies of various zipper merging studies (done by scientists) in the passenger seat at all times. Whenever I fear getting run off into the shoulder when trying to merge I just fling them out the window and scream "IT'S MORE EFFICIENT ACTUALLY" until my throat goes raw and flecks of blood fly out of my mouth into the wind.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I just drive a 25 year old American SUV with mismatched rattlecan touchups on all the various fender and door dents and take my merge as is my right.

You will let me zipper merge or I will add another color to my passenger door.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
You go ahead and do that in front of the state trooper that sits in front of all highway construction zones. :allears:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Last time I did it he stood up and clapped.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If everyone waits until the end of the merge lane, then traffic is going basically the same speed in both lanes and you don't get those guys you hate so much speeding past everyone down to the end of the merge cutting in front of you. Instead you get two lines of cars taking turns going into one lane.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I have at least ten copies of various zipper merging studies (done by scientists) in the passenger seat at all times. Whenever I fear getting run off into the shoulder when trying to merge I just fling them out the window and scream "IT'S MORE EFFICIENT ACTUALLY" until my throat goes raw and flecks of blood fly out of my mouth into the wind.

You sir are awesome.

When I ride my bicycle I alway ride in the center of whatever lane I want even if traffic is going 50mph. I scream at every driver going past, "It's my right to be here! Bicycles deserve a full lane! The law doesn't specifically say bicycles have to stop!"

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Crotch Fruit posted:

Jesus now that sounds loving stupid. I own earbuds, and I love my earbuds for the simple fact that when there is music playing I cant hear a drat thing in the world around me, it's kinda nice when I can be staring straight at my wife and watching her jaw move but hear nothing but the sweet music.

You can hear plenty with headphones in on a motorcycle. I usually have earplugs in but if I want to listen to music I have a set of Etymotics (Ety kids to be precise) that I like. You can easily hear cars and sirens and random parts falling off of my bike while wearing either. The Ety kids are especially nice as they block a ton of outside noise and they are limited to a safe db so I can just turn my iphone all the way up and have my music/podcast/navigation at a nice safe volume.
Either way, unless you want to be deaf after a few years you're wearing some sort of sound blocking device while riding.

Crotch Fruit posted:

My most hated vehicles on the road are pickups, anything Dodge, and anything BMW. Years ago I remember a pickup owner telling me that muscle cars suck, pickups are the new muscle cars, his half ton pickup was faster than a Corvette. . . As for Dodge, I believe their entire marketing is designed to attract the worst low life scum of the roads. The vehicles are dirt cheap ( :laffo: quality), they slap the "HEMI" badge on everything to try to convince you it's a race car, and every Dodge vehicle has an aggressive front end to ensure that they will only attract the real rear end in a top hat drivers. BMW is self explanatory.

I agree 100% on the Dodge drivers. You forgot that to complete the look you need to install a set of Chinas best 20+inch chrome and black wheels.

I'll add that ever since Kias/Hyundai successfully aped design details from enough cars to look expensive they seem to be the new BMW. I guess since the economy is poo poo the pissed off middle manager types can't afford a lease on a 3 series or a used 5 anymore so they get a shiny Korean Mercalike and proceed to floor it everywhere, cut everyone off and change lanes at least 5 times/mile during rush hour.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 25, 2014

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If you guys think that drivers of certain types of vehicles display different qualities of driving when they're as ubiquitous as BMWs and Kias you are succumbing to confirmation bias. Unless genderweirdgreedo has some studies on aggressive driving by car brand mixed in with all the other reports he carries in his front seat idk

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I can't stop giggling at this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfxUfEw7EUk&t=103s

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:psyduck:

I wonder what kind of excuse that shitstain had for the nice police officer afterwards.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.

Yeah, I couldn't stop watching that over and over. I'm not sure what you could do in that situation. Seems like the truck driver did everything he could. Which was swear and stop his vehicle.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005
Did I miss something? The wikipedia article that nasP linked in defence of zipper merger explicity states:

quote:

The late merge method has not been found to increase throughput
By what method are you guys measuring efficiency?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

SanitysEdge posted:

Did I miss something? The wikipedia article that nasP linked in defence of zipper merger explicity states:

The poo poo you selectively edited out of your quote.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

looks like a clear case of unintended acceleration to me!

Beach Bum posted:

Also, sometimes I just like to wring out my car and hear the pleasant noises. Is pleases my stupid lizard brain to make it go "vroom-vroom" :q:

Yeah I have to endure the guy in his very sensible champagne Toyota Camry slooowly easing up next to me at the next light with a smug poo poo eating grin on his face, but I don't care because I've got a huge grin on my face and I'm about to absolutely destroy the turn just up ahead.

It's not fun until you're going full opposite lock through a roundabout

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 26, 2014

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

rscott posted:

If you guys think that drivers of certain types of vehicles display different qualities of driving when they're as ubiquitous as BMWs and Kias you are succumbing to confirmation bias. Unless genderweirdgreedo has some studies on aggressive driving by car brand mixed in with all the other reports he carries in his front seat idk

This is not confirmation bias! It's stereotyping. :eng101:

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

SanitysEdge posted:

How fast they themselves can get to work during a traffic jam of course! Who cares about the fact you setup a standing wave in traffic leading to hours of congestion, they need to make sure they merge at the last possible second, not in 50, 100, or 200 yards before, where there still were gaps.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fMyIPiJOjI

"Ok drivers, if you don't want me to not let you merge onto the highway, don't be driving when I'm passing by that entrance ramp"

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Jesus gently caress that video quality belongs in the horrible mechanical electronic failures thread.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

SocketSeven posted:

How fast they themselves can get to work during a traffic jam of course! Who cares about the fact you setup a standing wave in traffic leading to hours of congestion, they need to make sure they merge at the last possible second, not in 50, 100, or 200 yards before, where there still were gaps.

The only thing that makes you tolerable is picturing the ignorant rage on your face as I trundle by and merge in the correct place.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Crotch Fruit posted:

Years ago I remember a pickup owner telling me that muscle cars suck, pickups are the new muscle cars.

This was actually true, in the malaise era when the emission and fuel efficiency standards that car makers couldn't figure out how to deal with without destroying performance didn't apply to trucks.

With the current muscle/pony car renaissance and the manufacturers no longer making anything like the Lil' Red Express/Silverado 454SS anymore, I'm pretty sure it's no longer true. I seriously doubt his truck is faster than any C5 or later Corvette, either.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

stereotyping is confirmed and reinforced by confirmation bias as this thread is such a perfect example of

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Crotch Fruit posted:

Wait, I just bought (traded for) a Type 1, and I'm not deluded by the fumes-

...oh.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Galler posted:

Jesus gently caress that video quality belongs in the horrible mechanical electronic failures thread.
Would you like a refund?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

russian_drivers.txt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnQNpJrnHOg

Didn't we have a conversation recently about someone threatening Russia's supremacy for bad driving? This seems like it should fix that nicely.

Which I could understand the guy trying to defend his decisions.