Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

So the music is mediocre? I'm taking it's not as good as Sleeping Dogs at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Palpek posted:

So the music is mediocre? I'm taking it's not as good as Sleeping Dogs at least.

poo poo no. It's got good stuff in it, but as a whole it's one of the weakest radio soundtracks in some time.

DeusModus
Nov 25, 2003

I am not Ben Affleck.

WastedJoker posted:

It's a bit weird how so few games allow us to insert our own music :(

^^^^ Whining about memes is worse than the memes itself

The memes don't really bother me, even though I think inserting them immediately dates the game.
It might not be Magicka, which was basically REDDIT: THE GAME; but it's weirdly jarring playing a game that takes place in the near-future but still incorporates All Your Base. :shrug:

As far as the soundtrack goes, I have no idea what the lineup is or who's featured in it. From what I've heard of it so far, it sounds largely unoffensive and bland. I'd much rather settle for an in-game radio that just serves as additional background noise, instead of being so horrid that it makes me turn it off completely. (SR4 is probably the first and last game to ever make me do that.)

If worse comes to worst, I'll just put on di.fm while I goon around Shicaggo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Palpek posted:

There is some good music but from the videos I have watched (dogs) the radio looks pretty cluttered or I guess unorganized.

Orv
May 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

There is some good music but from the videos I have watched (dogs) the radio looks pretty cluttered or I guess unorganized.

It's always in the same order but that order makes exactly zero sense. It's like someone selected a section of their WMP library with some bizarre algorithm and put in on shuffle.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

CJacobs posted:

The "radio" has two functions. On/off or skip song. No radio stations, just one rather short playlist that has everything on it, like one jazz tune, one public enemy song, one Chicago blues song all on repeat. It really is a bad joke

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Oh drat, I thought full radiostations were already a standard practice in the genre, I didn't realise it's just a single mixed playlist, what the hell.

DeusModus
Nov 25, 2003

I am not Ben Affleck.

ethanol posted:

The "radio" has two functions. On/off or skip song. No radio stations, just one rather short playlist that has everything on it, like one jazz tune, one public enemy song, one Chicago blues song all on repeat. It really is a bad joke

:what:

That sounds loving horrible.

Is there at least a playlist organizer?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm watching a stream and he's switching through different genres and can choose any song he wants?...

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

I'm watching a stream and he's switching through different genres and can choose any song he wants?...

Are you sure he's choosing the genres and the genres aren't just random order in the playlist?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Palpek posted:

Oh drat, I thought full radiostations were already a standard practice in the genre, I didn't realise it's just a single mixed playlist, what the hell.

Yeah I just attribute all this (not that it excuses a lot of it) to this being their first modern sandbox game in the AC vein.

DeusModus posted:

Is there at least a playlist organizer?

There's a full organizer with remove and sort capabilities.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ethanol posted:

Are you sure he's choosing the genres and the genres aren't just random order in the playlist?

It was before I saw this discussion, so I wasn't paying too much attention. He was looking through and testing out songs from the Blues and Jazz genres.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Palpek posted:

I liked Sleeping Dogs, but I can't think of a single music track from that game. I mean it was novel hearing that much foreign music, but I don't remember any of it actually being good or noteworthy?

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

I don't think the two are really all that comparable because Saints Row 4 is kind of a different case when it comes to the soundtrack; it's one of those 'ironic humor' dealies that people with no sense of humor try to push on unsuspecting fellow human beings. The joke was originally that dubstep is poo poo, but somewhere along the line 4 lost the joke and it became dubstep the video game. What I learned from playing that game is that using a lovely thing ironically doesn't make it suddenly not be lovely.

The non-electronic parts of 4's radio soundtrack are alright.

wtf are you talking about, there's literally only 1 out of 7 radio station that have dubstep in sr4.

Hakkesshu posted:

I liked Sleeping Dogs, but I can't think of a single music track from that game. I mean it was novel hearing that much foreign music, but I don't remember any of it actually being good or noteworthy?
How the gently caress did you miss Ninja tune radio?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmolodMHKiM

Erika fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 25, 2014

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkWmB9NIg4U

Watch Dogs' "radiostations" are more like your phone/ipod in how they work, you just have a list of songs which you can make your own playlists with and they'll even play when you're not driving. Supposedly there's also songs in the gameworld that you can steal with an app.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Hakkesshu posted:

Wow allow me to educate you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrsaB0Uune8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFbO6ablfyk

The sleepy dogs soundtrack was fantastic and probably the best there's ever been in the genre.

e: dang, beaten on Hudson Mohawke.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fat Care-Bear posted:

wtf are you talking about, there's literally only 1 out of 7 radio station that have dubstep in sr4.

I guess my post kinda derailed into talking about the general aesthetic, sorry. My point was that the game acts like dubstep is awesome when in fact dubstep is awful, whereas Watch Dogs just has dubstep and doesn't touch on it in either direction.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sleeping Dogs caused my pronunciation of malt liquor to be ultra-racist for a solid month, which really is all you can ask for.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
SR4's radio was the best purely because you could listen to it anywhere instead of being stapled to a car in order to get past all the poo poo songs and lovely ads in order to get to the few good bits.

This is true of all in-game radio stations BTW, Watch_Dogs getting rid of the DJs and fake ads and whatnot is a good thing.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
In Watch Dogs the music comes from your phone so you can have it on anywhere.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The SR4 radio station DJS were painfully unfunny, so I usually just set on an external playlist when playing that game. Dunno if GTA manages to pull it off better.

The Sleeping Dogs soundtrack was cool, though.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

1stGear posted:

This is true of all in-game radio stations BTW, Watch_Dogs getting rid of the DJs and fake ads and whatnot is a good thing.

Yeah I do agree with this and there is a great curtis mayfield song in there as well

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

So can you have your own music? I really want that.

E: Actually if you can hack other people's music with your own mp3 oh god how many people are going to get rickrolled

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

1stGear posted:

SR4's radio was the best purely because you could listen to it anywhere instead of being stapled to a car

You can do this in Watch Dogs too.

Side note: Goddamn I love running in this game. There's no parkour, but just jogging around on foot really brings this game to life. Seems like you're never far from something to do, and if you gently caress with the profiler nonstop you can stumble across some fun stuff. I especially love the NPC reactions to everything you do. I'm creeping around, trying to sneak into a gang stronghold, when I hear a woman behind me say "See, honey? Drugs." I jumped on a motorcycle once and immediately crashed, a guy nearby started clapping and yelled "yeah man, chicago drivers"

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

So can you have your own music? I really want that.

E: Actually if you can hack other people's music with your own mp3 oh god how many people are going to get rickrolled

Neither.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Why did you squander this amazing opportunity, ubisoft?????

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Azurrat posted:

You can do this in Watch Dogs too.

Side note: Goddamn I love running in this game. There's no parkour, but just jogging around on foot really brings this game to life. Seems like you're never far from something to do, and if you gently caress with the profiler nonstop you can stumble across some fun stuff. I especially love the NPC reactions to everything you do. I'm creeping around, trying to sneak into a gang stronghold, when I hear a woman behind me say "See, honey? Drugs." I jumped on a motorcycle once and immediately crashed, a guy nearby started clapping and yelled "yeah man, chicago drivers"

This is brilliant. The game does sound like it is what I wanted it to be (Chicago dickbag simulator)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Since they are releasing the game the day after Memorial Day in the states, will it be possible to VPN the game open or.is that a horrible idea?

Orv
May 4, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Since they are releasing the game the day after Memorial Day in the states, will it be possible to VPN the game open or.is that a horrible idea?

No-one has ever gotten e-whacked for early unlocking a game with VPN on any digital platform. You get in trouble for buying from another region via VPN. That said I don't know when the times for VPNing Watch Dogs are.

w00tuberjedi
Jul 3, 2007

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...

The most uber of the Jedi
I do like that there are people you can hack that provide new songs for the radio. I mean it is probably bad practice to lock away some music as unlockables, but it was funny finding a new song and quickly skimming through the radio to see if that song is any good.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Orv posted:

No-one has ever gotten e-whacked for early unlocking a game with VPN on any digital platform. You get in trouble for buying from another region via VPN. That said I don't know when the times for VPNing Watch Dogs are.

Right on, will do some research.

It just seems to appropriate to game the system to unlock it early, honestly

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

w00tuberjedi posted:

I do like that there are people you can hack that provide new songs for the radio. I mean it is probably bad practice to lock away some music as unlockables, but it was funny finding a new song and quickly skimming through the radio to see if that song is any good.

*Hacks 15 year old kids iPhone*

"You have unlocked Pharrell Williams - Happy!"

Man, this poo poo sounds more exciting then Deus Ex

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hakkesshu posted:

Dude, Sleeping Dogs had some of the best radio music of any open world game. It even beats out some of the Grand Theft Auto games in that department.

Watch Dogs' music isn't all that bad from what I've heard of it, but yeah, the "playlist on shuffle" thing instead of proper individual stations is annoying.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
One of the first mods is likely going to be an MP3 importer or something.

I hope. Cause god drat the radio is bad.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

This game confirms my suspicions that people wearing trenchcoats should be avoided at all costs. It's humorous that somebody desired humility in this person and wrote a plot line around that, and then five minutes later you're stealing grandma's last $10 and killing bystanders with IEDs. "It's ok, just a normal dude with bad ptsd and hacker skills. "

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ethanol posted:

This game confirms my suspicions that people wearing trenchcoats should be avoided at all costs. It's humorous that somebody desired humility in this person and wrote a plot line around that, and then five minutes later you're stealing grandma's last $10 and killing bystanders with IEDs. "It's ok, just a normal dude with bad ptsd and hacker skills. "
Honestly, why did they go with the trenchcoat? Modern rear end in a top hat hacker wannabees don't even wear them anymore I thought, it's more of a 90s thing.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Honestly, why did they go with the trenchcoat? Modern rear end in a top hat hacker wannabees don't even wear them anymore I thought, it's more of a 90s thing.

Same reason Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Assassin's Creed (essentially) did: it looks cool and billows dramatically.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Aiden's terrible loving outfit that you can't change is quite possibly my only negative about this game. Everything else I am in love with. Stealth is actually fun, exploring the city is fun, driving motorcycles is incredibly fun. Being an rear end in a top hat to Chicago citizens never gets old.

Also, I would buy a Spider Tank game in a heart beat. Please make it happen Ubisoft!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also you can hide guns under it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Trenchcoat is a staple of cyberpunk in every medium so it's not only because of those games. Imagine Blade Runner without a trenchcoat, they just really wanted to have it in the setting (not that they had to but it was an easy choice).

• Locked thread