Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Potato Alley posted:

Sounds like you're volunteering. Also can you update the org chart while you're at it?

I actually like writing technical documentation, training materials, and knowledgebase articles.

I find it far more rewarding than taking escalations or arguing with management that yes, our support reps would benefit from actually being able to use our software, rather than the current method where the only way they get to use it is when a customer calls in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ConfusedUs posted:

I actually like writing technical documentation, training materials, and knowledgebase articles.

I find it far more rewarding than taking escalations or arguing with management that yes, our support reps would benefit from actually being able to use our software, rather than the current method where the only way they get to use it is when a customer calls in.

What madness is this? Are you promoting call center employees actually knowing what they are doing?

It will never catch on.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Potato Alley posted:

Sounds like you're volunteering. Also can you update the org chart while you're at it?

However, nobody is ever allowed to see the org chart.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I call dibs on CEO. That is the position that involves the lease giving a poo poo, right?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

RFC2324 posted:

What madness is this? Are you promoting call center employees actually knowing what they are doing?

It will never catch on.

...I know.

I just feel bad for them, you know? There was a time when I was--literally--the only support rep. Now I'm at the top of this giant heap and I just want to help them all. :(

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ConfusedUs posted:

...I know.

I just feel bad for them, you know? There was a time when I was--literally--the only support rep. Now I'm at the top of this giant heap and I just want to help them all. :(

Been there, done that, wrote the internal EA KB as a result.

Too bad they dismantled it as soon as I left, it was actually pretty good :argh:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Parent company's lovely outsourced to Dell help desk sent in a ticket.

quote:

the user is calling because the "company name misspelled" office that the user is located in is blocking the website. the user states that no one in th office can access the website.
The website: http://parentcompanydomain.ia
user was told to put a ticket into networking to get firewall to allow this website thru.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ConfusedUs posted:

This hits so close to home. They bought in the new tiers of support and asked all first liners to use the solutions section if we didn't know how to fix something (which was all the time, we could never use the software).

The kicker? The Solutions section is designed for third liners. I've been writing technical documentation for all the other first liners while i've been here because nobody else is going to do it and its nice to help my colleagues. I know you pain man! Goondolences

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I love writing documentation about our internal processes, including screenshots and captions for screenshots. All my documents are also written in the internal wiki's document editor rather than me writing it in Word and uploading it to our wiki.

I think I'm quite crazy.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
A successful HR Meeting came in!

My director wanted to give me a verbal warning about discussing the nature of HDDs with a client. When I was on the phone to the client saying we'd need to quote for 2 replacement HDDs (part of their server's RAID), he asked me why they need to replace some drives just 2 years after the server was installed.

I explained that due to the nature of drives in a server (moving parts, heavy usage read/write etc), they are failure prone and frequently need to get replaced. As soon as I hung up the phone the director got really, really angry/snarky and moaned at me for telling his clients that we're selling stuff we know will break!

So I got pulled into the meeting room this morning. I explained I wasn't signing the write-up form as I don't recognise the warning. Part of my job is to advise clients on aspects of technology/IT that we handle - and drives DO break. I'm not going to lie.

Nothing's come of it so far, the guy's leaving in 2 weeks anyway so hopefully he'll let it slide.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

A successful HR Meeting came in!

My director wanted to give me a verbal warning about discussing the nature of HDDs with a client. When I was on the phone to the client saying we'd need to quote for 2 replacement HDDs (part of their server's RAID), he asked me why they need to replace some drives just 2 years after the server was installed.

I explained that due to the nature of drives in a server (moving parts, heavy usage read/write etc), they are failure prone and frequently need to get replaced. As soon as I hung up the phone the director got really, really angry/snarky and moaned at me for telling his clients that we're selling stuff we know will break!

So I got pulled into the meeting room this morning. I explained I wasn't signing the write-up form as I don't recognise the warning. Part of my job is to advise clients on aspects of technology/IT that we handle - and drives DO break. I'm not going to lie.

Nothing's come of it so far, the guy's leaving in 2 weeks anyway so hopefully he'll let it slide.

Advise him to bitch and moan to Seagate and Western Digital, or better yet send them a sternly-worded letter to see how far it gets him. Then use some aspect of the car analogy.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Its why we have loving warranties

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else on Geekatoo?

A job bid came in...

quote:

Client Notes
Hook-up a New Device: My computer needs the following: needs hardware added/removed. I need to install a something else. The type of device is a increase memory of desktop The make/model of the device is (don't know). I need service for a laptop. Specifically, it is a 3-5 years old Windows computer running (don't know) made by (don't know). My preferred service time is Friday afternoon.

Sounds legit, right? Add more RAM. It was quoted at $55. I have no qualms about accepting. I accept the job, and I call the client.

:phone: Okay, so I saw the details on the job - you wanted to add more memory to your computer?
:colbert: Well, I want to put in a new hard drive.
:phone: A new hard drive?
:colbert: Yes, my computer's been running really slow and I'd like to have a new hard drive put in.
:phone: Okay... that's actually a bit more work than the job was quoted out on Geekatoo. It's several hours of work to do backups, reinstall Windows, and copy your data back over.
:colbert: My computer's just running really slow, though. I also have all my junk that I want to clear off.
:phone: Has anyone ever cleaned your machine off? Removed viruses, malware, etc.?
:colbert: Listen, I'm an old man, what am I really looking at here?
:phone: You've got a couple options, but probably the most realistic one is to have your machine cleaned up. Given the age we'd probably need to involve Geekatoo so they can work out a different rate.
:colbert: You mean the $80 I paid doesn't cover it?
:phone: ... tell you what, let me get back to you on this.

Straight the hell to the "cancel job" button with a nice blurb on how whoever took the call at Geekatoo didn't nearly get enough info and that I am not spending four hours on cleaning up junk, running full scans, and getting it done well enough that the client signs off on the money. Which is exactly what happened on my last malware removal job with them.

If nothing else it feels good to say "yeah, I don't want to do this" and not having any negative repercussion other than the job goes to some other sucker.

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

It was a narcotics raid, not a Fritos raid.

Gunjin posted:

You're a TSM for a Richmond VA based firm I'm guessing?

North carolina, but i know who you are talking about friend

lazercunt fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 23, 2014

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MJP posted:

Anyone else on Geekatoo?
I don't see a lot of tech support calls from them, mostly home theater installation requests. Sometimes with the caveat that they also need someone to remove a large CRT/projection TV.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

JohnnyCanuck posted:

The org chart is kept in a folder on a shared network drive that regular users can't have access to, but these 37 people need access, and one of them just retired and also these two other people need access too, can you take of that?

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Just got this:

Some plebian posted:

Our newest laptops are not set up correctly. We require a patrician that will allow admin privileges so clients can load their software.

At least they aren't agitating for a tribune.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Send Sulla. That'll teach them a lesson.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

I don't see a lot of tech support calls from them, mostly home theater installation requests. Sometimes with the caveat that they also need someone to remove a large CRT/projection TV.

I know, it's almost exclusively home theater installs. They recently introduced an option to not get certain types of jobs, so I just turned off home theaters.

It's not really a reliable source of income but it never hurts to get a small job for extra spending $$.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My mom's is always good for fossils.

The lint bears a suspicious resemblance to the color of her cat.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Javid posted:

The lint bears a suspicious resemblance to the color of her cat.

I want to clean those rollers so bad.

Please. Please send me that mouse so I can clean it. I have no idea why I find it so satisfying but I loved cleaning it as a kid.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
That's four mouse pads pressed together to make one giant mouse pad

edit: and what's clearly a dog tag on the cat

:spergin:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Javid posted:

Cute kitty. Now buy your mom an optical mouse for mother's day.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Collateral Damage posted:

And the poor cat an actual cat tag instead of a dog tag.

nothingtrend
Oct 26, 2004

Maybe the cat has species dysphoria and thinks its a dog?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Stop being cisdoggist.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003
I need to finish Xenogears sometime, damn it.

Cojawfee posted:

Stop being cisdoggist.

Cisgenused.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Collateral Damage posted:

If she's anything like my mom, she wouldn't accept a new mouse because "the old one still works fine". My mom's been using a pair of computer speakers that are shorted out and all crackly for about five years now, she won't let me spend the $10 to buy her another cheap pair because they're "good enough".

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I was doing some work in a high vandalism lab yesterday, and noticed something looked off with the keyboards. The keys on three of them were all randomized, but they all said SLAYER right in the middle of homerow.

The cleaner at my old job was a bit OCD, which I guess has the potential to be a positive quality however...

She would literally come to your desk, pick up a pen, give it a scrub, put it back, pick up the next pen, give it a scrub... etc.

She had been told off for getting up on desks and 'cleaning at height' - in fact she had also been told off for coming over to our building to clean because she wasn't meant to but she thought it was unfair that no one came over to do it (It was a prison, so prisoners cleaned it, it wasn't really an issue!)

One day my boss, the facilities manager noticed that she would hoover keyboards if you weren't at your desk so he said one day he was going to pop all the keys out of the keyboard and just sit them on top so when she hoovers... you get the picture.

I don't think he ever did it but it would have been hilarious if (more than) a little mean!

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Cojawfee posted:

Stop being cisdoggist.

Ciscaninius

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

NZAmoeba posted:

That's four mouse pads pressed together to make one giant mouse pad

edit: and what's clearly a dog tag on the cat

:spergin:

They're coasters.

nothingtrend posted:

Maybe the cat has species dysphoria and thinks its a dog?

Yes. She will also take a leash if it gets her yard time.

Have a video also.

E: also here's her ancient keyboard. She's a really fast touch typer, as you can see.

Javid fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 26, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Holy gently caress your cat has a ghost eye.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Cojawfee posted:

Holy gently caress your cat has a ghost eye.

That's the eye that sees into the land of the dead. They all have it. Must've just got the perfect angle on that camera.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I have a bit of a hoarding issue when it comes to old Latitudes.

It's not very long since I finally threw out all the D620/D630 based stuff.

It all still works, but they are just too slow to get any actual work done on them, so they get handed out to consultants, pop-up offices for yardstays, people who forget their laptop at home and so on.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

A LOT of tickets came in.

but we closed them all with a "gotcha! ;) "

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

When you lie for a living, it becomes a part of you, something you can't just turn off. Either that or most salespeople are just pathological liars to begin with. I can't decide which.

Both.
Hired for their natural lying skills, and financially incentivized to hone those skills even further.
gently caress sales.

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Are there any UK chaps here who've had experiences with drug testing? My understanding is that it's a lot more prevalent in the US, but I've only worked at 2 companies since leaving school so :shrug:

Working in a paper mill, I was tested when I started, then never again for the 5 years I was there.

Starting at Amazon (warehouse) and 2 random ones in a 1 year period.

Generally it seems like it's heavy industry/dangerous jobs, and US companies

Yermaw Zahoor fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 26, 2014

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

Rofl good read

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Laserface posted:

A LOT of tickets came in.

but we closed them all with a "gotcha! ;) "

Someone put one of these up in our office on April 1st. It's still there.

justlysarcastic
Feb 22, 2010

no words necessary
A ticket came in ...

A user cannot synchronize or open anything in enterprise vault. After reinstalling the software and testing, they've narrowed things down to finding out it was only happening on one computer, as it worked perfectly fine on every other computer it was tested on with the same account. Very clearly a local problem, as they have noted themselves. They had sent an email asking how to fix this.

Did I mention this user is the local IT? And that they're in Europe?

I'm really not sure what they're expecting :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a ticket came in.

Client called in, their postage machine was giving an error and not able to stamp envelopes. CLient called support for the machine and they said it was a network connectivity issues. I got the ticket, spent five minutes walking the client following cables and, surprise surprise, the machine does not have network connectivity.

Had to conference the client with support, ended up fighting with them for almost 10 minutes before the tech actually checked the model and saw it had no connectivity

• Locked thread