Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

KARMA! posted:

a billion pages about the awesome/vile duality of unicode yet nobody can explain to me why theres a poop emoticon glyph

there's not one single good reason NOT to have a poop emoticon glyph

💩💩💩💩💩

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

my #1 gripe about java is that only characters in plane 0 are allowed in identifiers. public class 💩 is impossible

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ConScript_Unicode_Registry

I'm kinda impressed that wikipedia doesn't have pages for most of these scripts.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

my #1 gripe about java is that only characters in plane 0 are allowed in identifiers. public class 💩 is impossible
the loving anglocentric unicode assholes unified all the poop so there's only one codepoint for it anyway. my code requires a number of subtly different poop emoticons to properly express its architecture

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Malcolm XML posted:

cortex m0 son

nah not low power enough if sleep is >0.1 uA i aint interested

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Soricidus posted:

the loving anglocentric unicode assholes unified all the poop so there's only one codepoint for it anyway. my code requires a number of subtly different poop emoticons to properly express its architecture

actually, all of the emoji has two variant forms -- emoji form and glyph form

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Bloody posted:

current queen

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2014/05/23/announcing-update-to-productivity-power-tools-2013.aspx

typical MS: the actual problem is allman style wasting so many lines, lets make the wasted lines shorter

i'm not sure i'm actually upset about this?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
yeah, actually that sounds cool, and helpful for basically any language

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2014/05/23/announcing-update-to-productivity-power-tools-2013.aspx

typical MS: the actual problem is allman style wasting so many lines, lets make the wasted lines shorter

they're totally right

allman style owns and this tweak makes it easier to use. win/win

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

KARMA! posted:

a billion pages about the awesome/vile duality of unicode yet nobody can explain to me why theres a poop emoticon glyph

http://www.reigndesign.com/blog/love-hotels-and-unicode/

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Bloody posted:

deep sleep mode bitch

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk the lowest power arm i know deep sleeps at 5-10 uA

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

i like how one objection raised to emoji at the time was "hey this is a pretty big rabbit hole because there are pretty much infinite variations on an emotion and unlike Zapf Dingbats which are well-defined" and the proponents basically said "nah this is pretty much it since it supports every emoji supported by the japanese mobile companies though it would be cool if you encoded Webdings too"

and then people started demanding more emoji anyway

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Bloody posted:

deep power down is like 200nA

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Bloody posted:

http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/lowpower/Pages/efm32zg-zero-gecko.aspx

deep sleeps at 0.9µA

lol if that's not in your power budget. do you count cycles on everything you write to cut down the active time?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

quote:

Apple, Microsoft and Google

ah

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
are colored emoji standardized or are they just an apple thing?

i am asking cuz theyre gay as heck

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

are colored emoji standardized or are they just an apple thing?

i am asking cuz theyre gay as heck

emojis are dumb in general.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

suffix posted:

http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/lowpower/Pages/efm32zg-zero-gecko.aspx

deep sleeps at 0.9µA

lol if that's not in your power budget. do you count cycles on everything you write to cut down the active time?

actually yes

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

then again given how large the variance seems to be on specced sleep currents it's sometimes a bit of a mystery. ive got a chip sleeping at 55 nA that's specced at like 10x that

should probably start pre-testing micros and selecting only the lowest power ones but lol thats starting to get too extreme

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Bloody posted:

then again given how large the variance seems to be on specced sleep currents it's sometimes a bit of a mystery. ive got a chip sleeping at 55 nA that's specced at like 10x that

should probably start pre-testing micros and selecting only the lowest power ones but lol thats starting to get too extreme

what are you doing with them

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

quote:

It shrinks lines that contain neither letters nor numbers by 25% vertically, allowing more lines to be displayed in the editor

this rules, i've wanted it for years and years, hope it becomes standard in all text editors

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
that line shrinking thing is insanely stupid. you might as well write code in a non-monospaced font. the solution to the problem of a bad brace style wasting lines is to use the right brace style

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Malcolm XML posted:

what are you doing with them

mostly sleeping

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Or use a language that doesn't need closing braces, like the one in the OP

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Vanadium posted:

Or use a language that doesn't need closing braces, like the one in the OP

sure but afaik there aren't any good ones

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

id rather use python than php

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Tiny Bug Child posted:

that line shrinking thing is insanely stupid. you might as well write code in a non-monospaced font. the solution to the problem of a bad brace style wasting lines is to use the right brace style

shrinking empty lines is a cool and useful thing no matter what your brace style is

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

six months of developer work and i already want to never touch a p-lang again.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

qntm posted:

shrinking empty lines is a cool and useful thing no matter what your brace style is

yeah, I was going to make a smug python comment before I realized this helps python too, just to a lesser degree than it helps languages with braces

really it just owns a whole lot

next up: make parentheses real big, so they can literally encompass the relevant code? actually I'm not sure that one is a good idea

also. p-langs are unbearable without unit tests to catch dumb errors (lol that that's necessary, but it's true). you have good unit tests right?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

nrook posted:

yeah, I was going to make a smug python comment before I realized this helps python too, just to a lesser degree than it helps languages with braces

really it just owns a whole lot

next up: make parentheses real big, so they can literally encompass the relevant code? actually I'm not sure that one is a good idea

also. p-langs are unbearable without unit tests to catch dumb errors (lol that that's necessary, but it's true). you have good unit tests right?

unit tests are a poor man's type system

a type system is a poor man's unit tests

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

nrook posted:

nope. no staging environment either. deploy and pray (for death).

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
being a programmer is very profitable whatever lang you choose :)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Malcolm XML posted:

unit tests are a poor man's type system

a type system is a poor man's unit tests
except that you can still use unit tests for the things your type system doesn't catch. it just means you don't have to do so much work yourself.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Soricidus posted:

except that you can still use unit tests for the things your type system doesn't catch. it just means you don't have to do so much work yourself.

your type system obv isnt strong enough

quote:

Agda functions are not allowed to crash, so a function definition must
cover all possible cases. This will be checked by the type checker and an
error is raised if there are missing cases.

In the same way as functions are not allowed to crash, they must also
be terminating. To guarantee termination recursive calls have to be made
on structurally smaller arguments.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 25, 2014

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

coffeetable posted:

your type system obv isnt strong enough

yo dog next time you start jerking me off with all this hot poo poo could you nibble my neck a little? also pop a thumb in my butt tia

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

fidel sarcastro posted:

nope. no staging environment either. deploy and pray (for death).

I wonder how many small modern/startup shops have unit tests

I feel like the answer to this question would be really depressing

or maybe unit tests are gonna become cool real soon! I gotta believe

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

hmm yes let me spend my time writing code that doesn't actually do anything. i'll get right on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

nrook posted:

I wonder how many small modern/startup shops have unit tests

I feel like the answer to this question would be really depressing

or maybe unit tests are gonna become cool real soon! I gotta believe

real tests mean you actually have to design a thing so

Tiny Bug Child posted:

hmm yes let me spend my time writing code that doesn't actually do anything. i'll get right on that

yeah if they even have them, they are probably worthless