Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Vinland Saga is pretty amazing. Admittedly, certain elements are kind of obvious if you've read the source material.

Yes, Gudrid is going to end up marrying Thorfinn. She's his wife in the actual Vinland Saga. Kind of wonder how the manga's going to handle some of the later bits of the adaptation, though, seeing as how the Vinland colony didn't exactly have a long or peaceful history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Sandman posted:

Vinland Saga is pretty amazing. Admittedly, certain elements are kind of obvious if you've read the source material.

Yes, Gudrid is going to end up marrying Thorfinn. She's his wife in the actual Vinland Saga. Kind of wonder how the manga's going to handle some of the later bits of the adaptation, though, seeing as how the Vinland colony didn't exactly have a long or peaceful history

Everyone moves south and it becomes Sleepy Hollowland Saga as the descendants team up with the lost colony of Roanoke to save the world from the supernatural through hardcore pacifism.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Gyges posted:

Everyone moves south and it becomes Sleepy Hollowland Saga as the descendants team up with the lost colony of Roanoke to save the world from the supernatural through hardcore pacifism.

Do they get Stands? I'm in if they get Stands.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm picturing Dances With Wolves, but with Vikings.

EDIT: Ahhhh, I spoiled myself by reading Wikipedia. :(

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 4, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Historie update. Eumenes continues being awesome.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Here's an Otoyomegatari update. :nws: for Mori showin' some skin

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Here's an Otoyomegatari update. :nws: for Mori showin' some skin

Haha, looks like the princess just fell in love at first sight with a chick with really really big boobs! Yep, definitely sister-wife material! :quagmire:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Historie update. Eumenes continues being awesome.
Well, looks like I'm going to have to reread the entire series or something to get a grasp over who Charon was in the story and what he did. I just vaguely remember a bald slave tutor guy, the series updates so so so so slow that I've definitely forgotten 99% of the Eumenes childhood chapters.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm rereading Historie since I trailed off last time before even getting caught up then a few years back. Does it release really slowly due to the author clearly doing it all himself or are the scans just incredibly slow?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jose posted:

I'm rereading Historie since I trailed off last time before even getting caught up then a few years back. Does it release really slowly due to the author clearly doing it all himself or are the scans just incredibly slow?
It's released really slow. And even then half the art is unfinished sketches.

If I had found it after it was completed in the fixed up volume releases, it'd probably be my favorite manga out there. As it stands now... I've got a similar issue to that other fellow where I have no idea what the significance of the reveal at the end of the last chapter was. The whole thing is way too slow to keep me gripped the way it should.

That said, I already know it's going to be awesome a bunch of years from now when we can look back at it. It's a fantastic story.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Eiba posted:

If I had found it after it was completed in the fixed up volume releases, it'd probably be my favorite manga out there. As it stands now... I've got a similar issue to that other fellow where I have no idea what the significance of the reveal at the end of the last chapter was. The whole thing is way too slow to keep me gripped the way it should.

That said, I already know it's going to be awesome a bunch of years from now when we can look back at it. It's a fantastic story.
Yeah, and the bummer with stuff like Historie (and to a far far more extreme degree, Berserk) is that they're so so so so so slow that rereading becomes useless too. Like I'll reread Historie and have a hell of a fun ride remembering stuff and remembering Charon, but I'm just going to end up having to reread it again in like six months when the next chapters come out.

At least Cesare isn't as much trouble for me because the new chapters that came out after months and months included the start of a new volume with one of those little manga recap blurbs and character reviews. Sengoku Youko (not historical of course) did this recently with one of its new chapters too.
And also with Cesare you have less random characters like a Charon that you might forget, in the sense that 90% of the characters are super well-known influential historical figures ("Why hello...Mister...Michelangelo was it?") as opposed to say 70% in Historie. Although I'm actually far more well-versed in the area of history Historie is touching on than I am with Cesare, it just feels like Historie is bound to have more Charons and Phoenixes and so on.

I can't remember if Historie does this at the start of new volumes, probably yes since it's a common manga thing, hopefully there's a new volume with a little recap or something soon. At least there's wiki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historie#Main_characters

quote:

Charon
A slave in the Hieronymus household and Eumenes' personal attendant ("pedagogue" in the original sense of the word). He gives Eumenes an amulet that belongs to Eumenes' mother before the latter leaves Cardia. It is revealed in a flashback that he is, despite his denial to Eumenes, actually present in the incident of Eumenes' mother's death, and is in fact responsible for her downfall by holding young Eumenes hostage.
Yeah I don't remember any of that :v: Time for a reread.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
It is a good day to die: New Gunka No Balzer

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Eiba posted:

Yeah its really frustrating for me because its such an interesting subject in an amazing time in Western History. I want them get where Alexander is king now :argh:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

That was a good one. Hopefully the translators keep up this pace.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I suppose this thread is probably the best for my question but, how common is the study of ancient greece/rome in Japan?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Balzer's Army Ch22

:black101: Awesome. I love seeing all the tactics. Reading this chapter really makes me wanna fire up Napoleon: Total War.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Here's chapter 38 of A Bride's Story, probably :nws: again, but for gratuitous manflesh this time.
Pretty short this time since Mori was jetting off to Paris to attend the Salon du Livre convention (short interviews taken there: 1 2). May's magazine has a Shirley story, hopefully Otoyome will be back in June.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

New Vinland Saga!

Next month: EXCITING LOAN TERM DISCUSSIONS!!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Fifty chapters from now I hope we'll be reading about the viking subprime loan crisis. :3:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
BFCland saga.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Mo_Steel posted:

Fifty chapters from now I hope we'll be reading about the viking subprime loan crisis. :3:

Viking captain oversaturates the slave market from too much raiding in Ireland, causes crash.

"I couldn't give these slaves away!"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Aww, Halfdan, you big softie. :3:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Hahahaha Thorfinn 2 pointing to his face at the end "WHAT ABOUT ME, ALSO THORFIN??"

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
His expressions are the best part of the chapter.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

He had no speaking parts so I didn't even see them! This merits a reread.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 25, 2014

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zorak posted:

Hahahaha Thorfinn 2 pointing to his face at the end "WHAT ABOUT ME, ALSO THORFIN??"

Nah, that's his nose picking pinky. He was startled out of booger wrangling powered daydreaming by suddenly being called into a one on one negotiation.

So is Halfdan's plan to link up the Thors clan with his via marriage or just to get their sweet, sweet land?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Gyges posted:

So is Halfdan's plan to link up the Thors clan with his via marriage or just to get their sweet, sweet land?

Thing is I don't think the Thors clan necessarily has that much land? And it's not even Thorfinn's land to offer either, he certainly had no part in it.

Halfdan seems to have chilled out somewhat from when we met him in the prologue, that's for sure. Dude seemed outright sinister then, now he's kind of "eh, whatever".

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Zorak posted:

Thing is I don't think the Thors clan necessarily has that much land? And it's not even Thorfinn's land to offer either, he certainly had no part in it.

Halfdan seems to have chilled out somewhat from when we met him in the prologue, that's for sure. Dude seemed outright sinister then, now he's kind of "eh, whatever".

Well, he is the eldest living male in the family so if the culture there is anything like it was in many others, he's head of the family in name at least.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

Well, he is the eldest living male in the family so if the culture there is anything like it was in many others, he's head of the family in name at least.

True, but I don't think Thorfinn is going to play that ball.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Is Thorffin's sister married or not?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Gyges posted:

Is Thorffin's sister married or not?

She's married to that one kid who had a crush on her before Thorfinn snuck onto the boat.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah really liked the way they expanded on Halfdan's character in this chapter, guy seems pretty reasonable. Wonder if his son and new wife are going to be part of the 100? Seems a waste to introduce them and not keep them involved in the plot.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Hah, I didn't even notice a single one. Now I'm going to have to keep my eye out for that bugeyed bugger.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

So here's a question: Vinland Saga is no stranger to ditching historical fact in its narrative, how do ya'll want this to end? Do you demand that Thorfinn's dreams come to nothing and he be forced to flee back to Iceland, or would you be okay if Yukimura decided to actually make the Vinland colony successful? Also, do you want to continue getting checkups on Canute and company back in Europe?

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 11:01 on May 26, 2014

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
The only scenario where it follows historical accuracy where the colonization failed while also keeping it a happy ending is to have Thorfinn and family be absorbed into the indigenous culture and abandoned their own. So colony failed, but Thorfinn lived on happily until he dies of old age or from tuberculosis.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

wid posted:

The only scenario where it follows historical accuracy where the colonization failed while also keeping it a happy ending is to have Thorfinn and family be absorbed into the indigenous culture and abandoned their own. So colony failed, but Thorfinn lived on happily until he dies of old age or from tuberculosis.

This is pretty much what I expect to happen. That or he comes back and begins his search for Shangri-La

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I'm pretty sure he's going to fail, but hey, not like it's an actual contest. Canute is going to fail too. That's the reality of human mortal ambitions: the sheer unpredictability and immensity of the world that no man can truly command or change its nature. Still, that doesn't mean Thorfinn necessarily will have an unhappy end.

Heck, it's a fact that his descendents certainly make it back to Iceland

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!
I just started reading A Bride's Story after hearing all the praise it's gotten, but it's pretty hard to ignore the inherent creepiness in a 12 year old and a 20 year old being married. Does it get better later?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Those drat non-white cultures are so drat creepy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Silly Voodoo posted:

I just started reading A Bride's Story after hearing all the praise it's gotten, but it's pretty hard to ignore the inherent creepiness in a 12 year old and a 20 year old being married. Does it get better later?

If you don't find the cultural differences interesting early on and can't relate to the narrative with its very different culture, it's probably not for you, no. It's a work about a very different time and place and peoples. There's a lot of that.

Personally I find it fascinating for all those reasons (the fact that it's about such a different culture and time without making it overly anime, with the sheer amount of time and research put into it).