Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Or you can slot Reflection in the first slot and run around holding Block and laughing and laughing and laughing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

So, uh, meh? The changes sound like Warframe as usual: stupid terrible decisions about a fun game that will get walked back halfway when the player base complains enough. It doesn't sound like the LITERAL END OF EVERYTHING OH GOD, it just sounds dumb.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Fish Noise posted:

One time, Denzine did a thing.

Can a permainvis Loki even survive that?

Also, once again, thanks MaleMan for the BIG GUN bp.

Everyone gets mad at me when I do this though :saddowns:

e: I suppose I should clarify that it's actually their computers that get mad :v:

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 24, 2014

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Gotta agree that I think you're overreacting about this. It is DE we're talking about here. Y'know, same company that set up a countdown and then weren't ready at the end of it?

For all we know DE might just not even give a hoot about the balance in PVP. Let everyone take their overpowered equipment and let the most OP win.

EDIT: I've done basically the same thing Shugojiin, except on someone's frame.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Definite overreaction. I put in significant time in a game series where the devs are truly actively clueless and terrible (Battlefield 3 & 4), and DE's misguided experiments are a far cry from Dice's dundering, ignorant failures. If it doesn't work it'll be super evident and they seem to sort of care based upon having a sense of pride in their work

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
The material and credit equivalent of hundreds or perhaps even thousands of hours of game time will soon hinge upon DE's design decisions, and that Psylotus emblem we have is not ironic.

I've said before that if Warframe were PVP then DE would have a reputation on par with PGI, but I really didn't think I'd have to see if I was right.

Jetamo posted:

Gotta agree that I think you're overreacting about this. It is DE we're talking about here. Y'know, same company that set up a countdown and then weren't ready at the end of it?

For all we know DE might just not even give a hoot about the balance in PVP. Let everyone take their overpowered equipment and let the most OP win.

EDIT: I've done basically the same thing Shugojiin, except on someone's frame.

There is a stark difference in effort and attitude here compared to the Conclave and dueling room. The duel room is one single tile, the Conclave got a badly balanced map, and they both got a bunch of hacky map-specific adjustments to powers all done by one guy who really wanted PVP.

This is a huge new map and assets like turrets, a progression system, Faction participation(there were Tenno-allied Grineer running around, faction rewards like that are a thing they've been talking about for a while now), a system of customization for the map and assets, and the rails and customization are set to work as the only significant repeatable resource sink in the game as well as the crux of clan warfare.

Most telling, though, is that when Rebecca asked the question "What if I'm not interested in this content?" DE Steve said "You should be," though he then tried to play it off as a joke.

They're going to care about it after launch. It's their only endgame solution and they seem to want to do PVP.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
This isn't a weird little consequenceless dueling system that occurs off to the side, it requires a lot of player investment, and it's MOBA-style PvP of all things. If you halfass that, you will get shat on by people. Even if the game is still mostly PvE, even if DE didn't want to focus around PvP, PvP is where the loudest players and biggest clans are going to gravitate, and PvP is going to wind up informing everything DE does - new weapons, new frames, rebalances of existing weapons and frames. Once opened, the MOBA box cannot be closed, and the excrement will never stop flowing from it.

DE themselves have also invested so much that I think they're unlikely to outright pull it if things start getting ugly, and it's too big for them to realistically pull off a "guys we screwed up we're sorry but we figured out how to fix it with one change" like they did with Auras.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
I have a terrible feeling that the power creep they keep introducing will make this impossible.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I can't wait for a half-baked TDM/MOBA where literally everyone plays Rhino/Rhino Prime!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
They can make PvP work without really balancing skills too much - let players make omni-frames specifically for PvP that let people take whatever skills they want and nobody can complain about overpowered frames... just particular skills. Then every update with a new frame they'll let you add new skills once you have the new frame. Not sure how prime frames will factor with that model but they seem to be migrating away from void and derelict tileset PVE missions, oh well.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I am not normally the main dude of power creep complaining but the angsturm feels totally ridic. I feel sad for my ogris sitting there in the corner, gathering dust, because my space rocket pistol shoots a spray that covers my entire field of view.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

necrobobsledder posted:

They can make PvP work without really balancing skills too much - let players make omni-frames specifically for PvP that let people take whatever skills they want and nobody can complain about overpowered frames... just particular skills. Then every update with a new frame they'll let you add new skills once you have the new frame. Not sure how prime frames will factor with that model but they seem to be migrating away from void and derelict tileset PVE missions, oh well.

I would think that'd be harder to balance due to custom skillsets. I would think skills mainly need different XP growth rates during PvP to balance.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I am not normally the main dude of power creep complaining but the angsturm feels totally ridic. I feel sad for my ogris sitting there in the corner, gathering dust, because my space rocket pistol shoots a spray that covers my entire field of view.

The best way to achieve maximum rocket saturation is to use both the Ogris and the Angstrum. :getin:

Edit: If they do go all-in on PVP, at least there will be people assigned to tweaking stats instead of just everyone making new stuff, hopefully.

HukHukHuk fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 25, 2014

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
They have prebuilt decks in the M:tG online game but that's a lot more carefully designed in balance. I think they have a chance to do it well, it's just that they've been working on other crap like tilesets and mediocre weapons. Also, notice how certain frames are better for different nightmare modes than others. There's a chance that we could get stalker abilities and ruin each other's game fast regardless of how a skill is overpowered. If everyone can become frame power immune or strip others of buffs, you get a lot of what makes PvP somewhat ok.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
Ps4 clan made a thing:

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
I built some frames that will break pvp in half from lv0, assuming auras are still taken into account. If you want them to scale up you'd obviously re-arrange your polarities to get these mods in first, and then add whatever you want after them. Consider these mods to be the "base" build, to allow for further ridiculousness as you level up.

Antimatter Drop is Nova's single most powerful ability. These mods let you cast one AMdrop for 20 energy, allowing for 5 casts from a full tank at level 0. Multiple AMdrops cast at the same time will amp each other as they detonate, making for some pretty ridiculous AOE damage extremely quickly. AOE that ignores walls.

Absorb is Nyx's most powerful ability, especially in PVP. While it locks you in place, it makes you completely invulnerable and the damage can stack very high very quickly(especially if you're packing Sweeper and Djinn). Also, if you aren't host it can be bugged to allow you to run around and shoot dudes while being completely invulnerable.

Shield Polarize pictured, but go ahead and slap Pull in there instead if you want. Polarize ignores walls and if they're fool enough to have Corpus aiding them it is guaranteed on higher tiers to nuke enemy Tenno instantly regardless of their shield count. And it only gets better from there. Pull, on the other hand, knocks down enemy Tenno. Stunlocking is the most frustrating thing in the game. Spam it forever.

Really you only need Vampire and Fleeting, but I didn't put just those in for some dumb reason. Energy Vampire will enable your teammates to spam all their ridiculously powerful or annoying abilities without stopping, ever. If you're playing Trinity in pvp and you're not using Energy Vampire, you have hosed up, go slot it first you god drat idiot.

Even lowly Excalibur can be a gigantic loving shithead if you slot it right! With this build your enemies need never be able to see, ever, from lv1(or 0 if you just put in a lv4 Stretch). Piss off everyone fighting against you.

Ignis. It doesn't require much aiming and the 10m impact radius ignores walls. Use Ignis. This build is purely window dressing, just use Ignis.

Also if you put Tigris on a Vapor specter you get a 4k+ dps hitscan aimbot following you around straight from the beginning.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
How is every idea they come up with worse than the last?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

vandalism posted:

How is every idea they come up with worse than the last?

They're just getting all the bad ideas out of the way so that only the good ones will remain to be thought up, duh.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Why do you have 6 maxed Stretches?

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Once upon a time we couldn't have mods equipped in more than one frame at a time, so I got a maxed copy of every card for every one of my frames.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Denzine posted:

Once upon a time we couldn't have mods equipped in more than one frame at a time, so I got a maxed copy of every card for every one of my frames.

Oh DE, you're just amazing :allears:

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

ElegantFugue posted:

Oh DE, you're just amazing :allears:

No auras, no multislotting, no forma was a painful time.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Thinking about it now is kind of a nightmare, and pretty much why I only ever had one frame (Loki) pretty much since the game was released publicly.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Doji Sekushi posted:

Ps4 clan made a thing:

Delphi where is our statue??

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Sleepy Owl posted:

Delphi where is our statue??

You lazy shits would never fund it anyway. Actually I'm just waiting for a major content update to make me care enough to experiment more with decorations. U13 and Melee 2.meh burned me out pretty well.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Doji Sekushi posted:

Ps4 clan made a thing:

All hail the Bridge Tenno slumbering dancing in his Room of Bridges waiting for the day of awakening.

RoboJoe fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 26, 2014

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012

Khorne posted:

I wish they'd make the dog die if you didn't login for a few days. It'd be the most warframe "feature" ever, and it would make people really mad. Especially if you came back to a rotting koala-wolf-dog corpse.

Chance to drop rare resource when it dies due to neglect.

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012

Denzine posted:

Or you can slot Reflection in the first slot and run around holding Block and laughing and laughing and laughing

Nowadays, dark sector conflict maps are ridden with specters modded for blocking, which makes them virtually immune to damage.

It appears to be some sort of bug (unless i am stupid and do not get it). Those things deflect bullets coming from every direction, sides and back. Even when frozen, they magically manage to deflect bullets.

I found terrify to be the go to ability for dealing with this poo poo without losing my sanity. Without it, most dark sector conflicts are a bitch to play. Fortunately, I got decisive judgement yesterday, so I do not need to play that nonsense anymore.

Why, why do we keep getting this pvp poo poo no one asked for while warframe conspicuously misses a story mode/campaign/more than a handful of mission types that revolve around impersonally shooting everything? It is a PVE game for christ sake.

I love cats fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 26, 2014

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
PVP is much less work to implement, apart from being impossible to balance. It also appeals to the "try hard" clanners they seem to be chasing. Putting players against other players, directly or indirectly is a P2P thing for trying to get more attached players who spend lots of money.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Ogris allows you to hold a charge, has virtually unlimited ammo, covers nearly the same area with firestorm, and does more damage.

They are both useful, but for serious long duration defenses, I would go with ogris still.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

This game is so great sometimes

I am literally 1 quarter in the world.

Unrelated to that, I feel that Jupiter definitely has the best tileset in the game besides Orokin towers. They are both awesome and engaging places which feel varied and interesting - dodging the traps in towers is always fun. The Earth/Jungle/Desert places really suck, however and its a shame because it seems like a lot of effort went into them, but they don't really work with the movement mechanics.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm quite enjoying the Stug. It's like an improved Acrid. However, why does it have the worst pistol polarity slot?? It'd be better if it had none!

On a different note, how can I go about figuring out how much to rank up my corrupted mods?

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

hooah posted:

On a different note, how can I go about figuring out how much to rank up my corrupted mods?

Many fusion cores, rare 10 level mods take forever to level up, unless you lucked out on a legendary core, it'll take awhile.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

HukHukHuk posted:

Many fusion cores, rare 10 level mods take forever to level up, unless you lucked out on a legendary core, it'll take awhile.
My question was whether or not I should level them all the way up or not. Does that depend on what I'll be putting them in?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I really like the corpus invasion tileset where you get to go outside the huge city spaceship and see what the corridors you've been fighting in a bajillion times are actually inside. It was neat. My favourite to play are probably the like gas cities, apart from for defense cause the monsters come in annoying fits and starts.

The desert tilesets are pretty bright and cheerful which makes a change.

My vauban and his serro are OSHA compliant

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

hooah posted:

My question was whether or not I should level them all the way up or not. Does that depend on what I'll be putting them in?

Pretty much, yeah. You'll actually probably want at least a couple of most of them.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

DelphiAegis posted:

You lazy shits would never fund it anyway. Actually I'm just waiting for a major content update to make me care enough to experiment more with decorations. U13 and Melee 2.meh burned me out pretty well.

:(

Man, PC warframe is really starting to slow down. Very few names on the active roster.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

DelphiAegis posted:

Maybe if I could find the new areas to fund things in. And maybe if the interface to do so weren't the shittiest thing.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

I tried to do a thing in the dojo, and it told me I did not have the permissions. I should probably look up how to do things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hal_2005 posted:

:(

Man, PC warframe is really starting to slow down. Very few names on the active roster.

I'm basically waiting for something cool to call me back right now. I really burned myself out during the last few events.