Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Just finished it and had a blast. Even more so as I never played a Wolfenstein game before and didn't follow the hype so I went in with few expectations. Easily best game of the year so far. (I realize thats not saying much, but still)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

beer_war posted:

Just finished it and had a blast. Even more so as I never played a Wolfenstein game before and didn't follow the hype so I went in with few expectations. Easily best game of the year so far. (I realize thats not saying much, but still)

Yeah, same here. Literally just beat the game five minutes ago and I left extremely impressed. It's one of the better FPS games I've played in a long time. With games like this, Shadow Warrior, and Deus Ex I'm really happy with all the 90's reboots of late.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

GUI posted:

By the way, someone over at neogaf said that this game would be getting story DLC in the future that should last around 4 hours. Take it with a grain of salt (and if the game bombs I'd imagine it'll get canned).

Link? Because that's what I want more then anything right now.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Triggsz posted:

The man has been in a coma for 14 years and is still built like a bunker. I thought it was hilarious.

I reckon that this is because rather than being related to Doom Guy, BJ is the parallel-earth grandfather of Brock Samson. Admit it, it makes sense. Doubly so, considering what Set calls him.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Just got the game on PS4. While I was in the Nazi base before the train, I came upon a ladder (I want to say in the third section, after raising the platform but before fighting the robots), but when I tried to climb it, I'd get to the top and just...fall off. Tried repeatedly, but whenever I'd get to the top, the game would kind of take control away, the camera would wobble, and BJ would drop. Not clear why. Anyone have that same problem?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Anybody had issues with TNO crashing and popping up a bunch of "Windows has run out of memory" warnings? I have 8 gigs, and it never seems to use more than 3.

Are you running a 64 bit OS? That sounds like the game's running in to the 32 bit wall. I haven't actually verified the binary is 64 bit, but on my system the game .exe has "x64" in the name so I assume it to be.

If you're not running a 64 bit OS then you can't use your 8GB properly.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Huh, on my NG+ play I blew up the first gun emplacement on the beach, drop down into the new hole, and the door closes in front of me and I can't do anything. Anyone see this before?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

api call girl posted:

Huh, on my NG+ play I blew up the first gun emplacement on the beach, drop down into the new hole, and the door closes in front of me and I can't do anything. Anyone see this before?

Where you crouch super low and shoot the dude in the feet?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

echronorian posted:

Yeah that part confused me, too, especially since I kept hitting R1 instinctively expecting it to be the shoot button and blowing myself up.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

api call girl posted:

Did the same thing, the first time through it has the tutorial on telling you to duck there, then shooting the guy's feet is obvious. Without the tutorial it's easy to end up only looking at the door from angles where you can't see through the opening.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I had to get up and walk to my TV to read the button prompt. Lol.

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG
My thoughts so far, maybe 3 or 4 hours into the campaign:
The story: The game has a lot of personality built into the characters. You spend a lot of time running around with a small party of NPCs who have consistent personalities and have some very entertaining quips. These NPCs are also guiding the player's direction which is better than the typical videogame magic of having visual indications pop up to the player telling them what their job is or whatever. The story is set in a Nazi-ruled Europe and their technology includes fantastic Tesla and steampunk inspired mechanical dogs, soldier body armor, and World War 2 trench battles upgraded with giant walking robots.

The graphics & game engine: Great graphics. A few technical hiccups right now on my i7 processor with Geforce 780 and 8gigs of ram. Textures take too long to load so occasionally, the game looks stupid when you turn the corner. Textures pop in and out of existence leaving what may be immersion breaking graphical artifacts (ie. flashes of a metallic wall turning purple as the texture glitches out of existence). Still, graphics are great. Environments are not big although also not claustrophobic. Loading times can be obscenely long, at least on my system using an SSD. The game is FORTY-FOUR GIGABYTES huge!

The gameplay: Weapons handle great. I really enjoy that there are legitimately two major ways to get through the game: Stealthy or Blast 'em All. An interesting feature is that the player character gains "perks" that unlock new abilities (e.g. Knife Throwing) given that you do a certain action (i.e. stab five people with your knife). Gameplay is smooth and the player is legitimately challenged with death.

I have a montage of the game up that I clipped from the full playthrough being posted at my channel that shows off the graphics and obviously my own antics as I play the game.

Any secrets/easter eggs/hidden locations/cool stuff to look out for during my playthrough? (maybe use spoiler tags for these?)

Best Regards,
RG

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

RichardGamingo posted:

The story: The game has a lot of personality built into the characters. You spend a lot of time running around with a small party of NPCs who have consistent personalities and have some very entertaining quips. These NPCs are also guiding the player's direction which is better than the typical videogame magic of having visual indications pop up to the player telling them what their job is or whatever. The story is set in a Nazi-ruled Europe and their technology includes fantastic Tesla and steampunk inspired mechanical dogs, soldier body armor, and World War 2 trench battles upgraded with giant walking robots.

The graphics & game engine: Great graphics. A few technical hiccups right now on my i7 processor with Geforce 780 and 8gigs of ram. Textures take too long to load so occasionally, the game looks stupid when you turn the corner. Textures pop in and out of existence leaving what may be immersion breaking graphical artifacts (ie. flashes of a metallic wall turning purple as the texture glitches out of existence). Still, graphics are great. Environments are not big although also not claustrophobic. Loading times can be obscenely long, at least on my system using an SSD. The game is FORTY-FOUR GIGABYTES huge!

The gameplay: Weapons handle great. I really enjoy that there are legitimately two major ways to get through the game: Stealthy or Blast 'em All. An interesting feature is that the player character gains "perks" that unlock new abilities (e.g. Knife Throwing) given that you do a certain action (i.e. stab five people with your knife). Gameplay is smooth and the player is legitimately challenged with death.

I have a montage of the game up that I clipped from the full playthrough being posted at my channel that shows off the graphics and obviously my own antics as I play the game.

Any secrets/easter eggs/hidden locations/cool stuff to look out for during my playthrough? (maybe use spoiler tags for these?)

Best Regards,
RG

By Billy, Age 6.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That montage would be super sweet without the annoying nerd voice over it

edit; as I actually watch this I take everything I say back because lmao that train wreck deserves no praise

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I wish the Rise of the Triad reboot had been this great. I have so much other poo poo to do and play right now but that itch to tear through this game a second time is probably going to sideline that.

I did hit one problem on the PS4 version in my first playthrough that I hope never happens again: right as I was starting the last boss fight (the scene where Wyatt/Fergus bot pimp hands you out the door and you lose your weapons) the game crashed and corrupted my save data. Mercifully only my checkpoint was lost, but working my way through the final level again was a little frustrating.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

RichardGamingo posted:

Best Regards,
RG

Hi my name is Panzer and I love something awful forums dot com. I also like dick.

Only about 4 hours in, but thus far it's the best shooter I've played in a long time. The challenge curve seems to be very steady, the graphics aren't mind blowing, but the detail to the environment is, the backgrounds, the secrets, everything is a really rich environment. My only real complaint is that I want to be able to dual wield any combo. Including a silenced pistol in one arm and a turret in the other.

Also in the spirit of Call of Duty's Ghost single player (literally the only fun portion), I want a DLC that allows you to play the entire game as a panzerhund. Or maybe an americahound.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
When I'm going back to mop up collectables, can I just set it to the lowest difficulty and blast my way through?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

My biggest complaint was the lack of a flamethrower. Like I mean, what the hell?

Also Max Payne did the whole monologuing thing better.

Still great though. loving shrapnel shot is tight.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

DoctorStrangelove posted:

My biggest complaint was the lack of a flamethrower. Like I mean, what the hell?

Also Max Payne did the whole monologuing thing better.

Still great though. loving shrapnel shot is tight.

Seriously? There's no flamethrower?!?!??!

That had better be in DLC. :colbert:

Though, I did read a thing somewhere that apparently there is a tesla upgrade for the laserkraftwerk. I do hope it's as awesome as the weapon in Wolfenstein 2009.

RichardGamingo posted:

Best Regards,
RG

What program did you use to record?

I usually use dxtory, but I can't seem to get it to work with Wolfenstein: The New Order. I've been trying some recording with FRAPS, but it has a massive performance impact and causes the game to randomly sieze up every few minutes.

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 25, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Am I a moron, or is it literally impossible to go down ladders in this game? I have no clue how to do it.

E; OH for fucks sakes, you need to actually turn around? :downs:

DStecks fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 25, 2014

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I beat the game last night, didn't like the ending.

Like the 1946 stuff, it was just too grimdark. War is hell, yeah, but there's other shooters out there for that. I play Wolfenstein games for guilt-free Nazi murderin' where I get to blow up all the bad guys and save the day and then be ready to jump right into the next Nazi-killin' assignment.

Sure the ending is ambiguous enough that he could have lived, but it was still a bad Wolfenstein ending.

Combat was cool and consistently satisfying, but I do miss the crazy weapons from prior Wolf games (particle cannon, tesla gun). I also wished there was more paranormal occult stuff, although the Set Roth stuff came kinda close, by playing the "sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" card.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the game a hell of a lot, I just feel it abandoned some longtime Wolfenstein staples and I'm not convinced it was better for it.

New Game + question: can I play on a higher difficulty with NG+ and keep all my perks and poo poo and get the achievements for the higher difficulty, or do I need to full-on start over on a different difficulty?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Picked up the 09 Wolf used for $8. After playing the Xbox One version of TNO, the 360 game looks like poo poo. I know it's old and all but goddamn. Really puts next this generation into perspective.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Xenomrph posted:

New Game + question: can I play on a higher difficulty with NG+ and keep all my perks and poo poo and get the achievements for the higher difficulty, or do I need to full-on start over on a different difficulty?

You can get the achivements through NG+, yeah. You also keep all your weapon upgrades except the laser pistol one.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

echronorian posted:

I crouch but can't see his feet, not "super low" enough. Something I missed?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

api call girl posted:

Hold Alt and S together, it's the area where you're supposed to learn about the analog lean system you forget about in the very next room.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So, even turning mouse smoothing to off, it seems like there's a ton of mouse acceleration regardless. How do I kill this?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

api call girl posted:

You need to use the cover system to prone.

Finished up the game this morning, immediately went back in to run through Wyatt's time line, pick up some collectables and finish up my last 2 perks.

Fantastic game. Haven't had such an enjoyable time playing a shooter for a LONG time. Loved the characters and plot too.

Quick question, in one of the trailers there's a scene where an unnamed character (probably the guy who was fighting the Nazis in Africa, sorry I forgot his name) talks about being quiet his whole live and that what happens next is going to be 'real loud'. Now I never saw that cutscene in the game. Is it from the alternate timeline?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Monster w21 Faces posted:

You need to use the cover system to prone.

Finished up the game this morning, immediately went back in to run through Wyatt's time line, pick up some collectables and finish up my last 2 perks.

Fantastic game. Haven't had such an enjoyable time playing a shooter for a LONG time. Loved the characters and plot too.

Quick question, in one of the trailers there's a scene where an unnamed character (probably the guy who was fighting the Nazis in Africa, sorry I forgot his name) talks about being quiet his whole live and that what happens next is going to be 'real loud'. Now I never saw that cutscene in the game. Is it from the alternate timeline?

Thats Jimi Hendrix and is in the game and it's loving awesome. It is Wyatt Timeline specific only as you don't get the autistic super genius in Wyatt's Timeline. (J replaces her)

You get this bitching scene so don't watch it if you care about spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXPWk48spZ0

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Asema posted:

Thats Jimi Hendrix and is in the game and it's loving awesome. It is Wyatt Timeline specific only as you don't get the autistic super genius in Wyatt's Timeline. (J replaces her)

Fantastic, thank you.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

your evil twin posted:

Though, I did read a thing somewhere that apparently there is a tesla upgrade for the laserkraftwerk. I do hope it's as awesome as the weapon in Wolfenstein 2009.

It's nothing special. It just does a flash of light that blinds enemies temporarily if they are close to you when you fire it, iirc.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

It's nothing special. It just does a flash of light that blinds enemies temporarily if they are close to you when you fire it, iirc.

No, that's the flash upgrade. The one he's talking about causes the LKR shots to become chain lightning if they pass near mechanical enemies.

Which is also not very useful because after you get it, you stop seeing drones/easy to kill by LKR mechanical enemies. :v:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Rookersh posted:

No, that's the flash upgrade. The one he's talking about causes the LKR shots to become chain lightning if they pass near mechanical enemies.

Which is also not very useful because after you get it, you stop seeing drones/easy to kill by LKR mechanical enemies. :v:

A fully-charged LKW shot can fell an ubersoldat in a single blow, at the expense of all or most of your battery depending on if you have the perk for bigger batteries. That doesn't make that upgrade useful or anything, it's just that the LKW was a great little "gently caress this target in particular" weapon and I'd hate to see it sold short!

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Geight posted:

A fully-charged LKW shot can fell an ubersoldat in a single blow, at the expense of all or most of your battery depending on if you have the perk for bigger batteries. That doesn't make that upgrade useful or anything, it's just that the LKW was a great little "gently caress this target in particular" weapon and I'd hate to see it sold short!

LKW is a great gun that you can pretty easily scum a lot of the late game with along with those ubersoldat LMGs thanks to an abundance of charging stations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Geight posted:

You can charge the LKR?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Rookersh posted:

You can charge the LKR?

The scope upgrade also comes with an auto-targeting/charging feature, which allows you to deliver an incredibly powerful shot at a single target or several simultaneous shots at multiple targets. It's basically a little targeting computer that makes the weapon even more versatile and powerful.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
I just finished the game in Wyatt's timeline and man what an ending. With the way they built up Anya I figured they would take the typical route and kill the woman off since she's the player characters love interest but killing BJ instead? That took some balls. loving great job Machine Games. Great job.

Asema posted:

Goddamn what a death but I wish he made it out :smith:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

One thing I found weird was that everyone but deathhead wears an SS uniform.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Rookersh posted:

You can charge the LKR?

if you get the targeting reticule from the temple with Roth, the longer you hold on someone, the stronger the shot. It results in some very satisfying body explosions.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

DangerKat posted:

if you get the targeting reticule from the temple with Roth, the longer you hold on someone, the stronger the shot. It results in some very satisfying body explosions.

You get the charger from the temple, the targeting reticle is on the bridge/train wreck level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grey Fox V2 posted:

I just finished the game in Wyatt's timeline and man what an ending. With the way they built up Anya I figured they would take the typical route and kill the woman off since she's the player characters love interest but killing BJ instead? That took some balls. loving great job Machine Games. Great job.

Goddamn what a death but I wish he made it out :smith:

Both sides of that scene for both timelines are really depressing/motivating in their own rights.

19 :smith:

• Locked thread