Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Enlistment recruiters will do anything to get you to enlist just FYI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Recruiters aren't the ones that decide who gets a security clearance. Yes, strictly speaking it's harder to get a clearance with a DWI than without one, but if you're up front about it with the investigators and it's been responsibly handled, there's no reason not to give it a try.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Recruiters aren't the ones that decide who gets a security clearance. Yes, strictly speaking it's harder to get a clearance with a DWI than without one, but if you're up front about it with the investigators and it's been responsibly handled, there's no reason not to give it a try.

You don't just apply for a security clearance for shits and giggles. Your application is based off of your need to handle classified material. With the DoD wide draw down, none of the services are hurting for applicants. It may really be that a DUI screws him out of almost any job right now. Here's why:

As a Marine recruiter we had four different layers of the recruiting standard.

1.) USMC accession standards. These were the baseline
2.) Eastern Recruiting Region and Western Recruiting Region Commanding General standards. These were in addition to the base standard and differed on each coast.
3.) Marine Corps District Commanding Officer standards.
4.) Recruiting Station Commanding Officer standards.

The baseline doesn't ever really change. However, depending on the number of beds the service needs to fill at OCS and basic training, they will make it harder to process applicants under the pretense of ensuring highly qualified applicants are the ones accepted. This is why during the surge you barely needed a heartbeat to enlist. Now that everyone is shrinking, the military only wants the "best of the best" applicants.

Example: It used to be that the USMC wanted 67% of enlisted applicants to score higher than 50 on the ASVAB. The Eastern Recruiter Region CG said he wanted 70% to score higher. This in turn had the District CO say he wanted 75% and the Recruiting Station CO turned around and said the only way anyone who scores lower than 50 on the ASVAB joins is by exception and must be interviewed by him before they are even considered.

Similar poo poo would happen with the availability of waivers for criminal offenses.

So while you might think that the Army is willing to work waivers for poo poo like DUIs, if the area the dude's trying to join has a CO that says gently caress no, there isn't much he can do except try to find another area he might be considered in.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 24, 2014

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

A single DUI shouldn't be an insurmountable issue for a clearance depending on time and other mitigating factors. But if the recruiter and MEPS won't work with you on that, you're probably screwed as most good MOSes and all officers require at least a Secret.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine

KetTarma posted:

I'm not trying to push you towards nuke but your reason is flawed.

Assume you take a several week long math class on what you never learned in highschool. Do you possess the potential to learn how to solve the following math questions, given a calculator?

cos(0.4)*10 = ?
ln(5) = ?
5+3*2/2^2 = ?
10^x = 2, x = ?

Congrats. Nuke school isn't really about math. You learn highschool level arithmetic (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division), geometry (surface areas and volumes of simple shapes), and algebra with the bare minimum basics of trigonometry (how to type sin, cos, tan and their inverses into a calculator). You will also learn what an exponent is and what a square root is. You will learn how to apply thumbrules to word problems. You will learn how to type logarithms into a calculator.

Uhhh I was always terrible at math. I pretty much only have basic arithmetic, the kind of stuff you'd need to know day to day memorized. I could probably do it but I dunno. Also from reading about it online I think I need a grades waiver? What are the chances of me getting that? I don't think I ever even took geometry in high school.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

cubivore posted:

Uhhh I was always terrible at math. I pretty much only have basic arithmetic, the kind of stuff you'd need to know day to day memorized. I could probably do it but I dunno. Also from reading about it online I think I need a grades waiver? What are the chances of me getting that? I don't think I ever even took geometry in high school.

The point was that the math isn't holding you back, but being a nuke sucks.

TheOtherGypsy
Apr 6, 2004

There are hundreds of other people with higher GPAs and no DWIs that are trying to become officers in the military.

They are probably shoving you aside because they don't want to deal with your background during a DOD draw down. Good luck.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine

Laranzu posted:

The point was that the math isn't holding you back, but being a nuke sucks.

Hah, yeah. I've kind of gotten that already. But what doesn't suck?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

cubivore posted:

CTs are OK. Aviation is OK.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

cubivore posted:

Going to a college or trade school.

Generally within the military, as the amount the job sucks decreases the chance of getting and keeping that job also decreases. My nuke friends that are still in are mostly unaware that there's a large drawdown going on while it's all my SeaBee friends can talk about.

My vote is to go take out a small student loan and go learn how to be a welder, plumber, or electrician based on your posts in this thread.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

cubivore posted:

Infantry

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Every job sucks, some just suck worse. You may have a good job and terrible leaders or vice verse.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
everything sucks, enlist in the marines

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Join NOAA and pretend you're in the military.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Join Sea Org and pretend you're in the military.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Won't have to worry about reenlisting with those million-year contracts they use!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Rough Lobster posted:

Won't have to worry about reenlisting with those million billion-year contracts they use!

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
So I went to MEPS last week to get medically cleared, that's all set so now I'm just waiting for the job I want to open up next month. Does anyone know the odds of getting a spot as an FMF Corpsman in the near future? I know you can't get it in a contract without going reserves and it depends on the needs of the Navy and other factors as well but I was wondering if anyone has insight into how many on average they've been taking in the recent past.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Grody posted:

So I went to MEPS last week to get medically cleared, that's all set so now I'm just waiting for the job I want to open up next month. Does anyone know the odds of getting a spot as an FMF Corpsman in the near future? I know you can't get it in a contract without going reserves and it depends on the needs of the Navy and other factors as well but I was wondering if anyone has insight into how many on average they've been taking in the recent past.

Talk to Christoff about how much fun handing out mole skin and Motrin is.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Hekk posted:

Talk to Christoff about how much fun handing out mole skin and Motrin is.

I have a few friends that are FMF and I've heard some horror stories but it's still what I'm interested in.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Grody posted:

I have a few friends that are FMF and I've heard some horror stories but it's still what I'm interested in.

When you go to MEPS you can get it in your orders to go to FMTB Camp Pendleton, you can't however get it to where you go to a division afterwards. Had a friend that went active duty and that's how he got to FMTB, they just had him pick orders at FMTB when he was about halfway through the training and all they had left was hikes. I don't know why you'd want to be an FMF Corpsman when the war's drawing down, you'll probably just get stuck doing sick call but whatever. If you seal the deal with going to FMTB right out of Corps school before you even ship to boot camp it pretty much saves your rear end from being forced into another C school like myself and another poster here that got lab, you just have to let your instructors know in Corps school that you already have FMTB written in your orders for after A school. Ensure it's in there BEFORE YOU SHIP FOR BOOT CAMP WHEN YOU SIGN YOUR ORDERS WITH RATING AND ALL THAT JAZZ. Otherwise you're hosed. And you pick FMTB Camp Pendleton because that's where the real men go :colbert:

Jitesh
Aug 4, 2013

Mahatma Gandhi posted:

The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong.
Anyone got experience as a Dental Officer?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Jitesh posted:

Anyone got experience as a Dental Officer?

A lot of people who graduated last in their class

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Booblord Zagats posted:

A lot of people who graduated last in their class

The Navy dentists who have done work on me have been at least as good as the civilians and didn't push expensive unnecessary procedures, so :shrug:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Stultus Maximus posted:

The Navy dentists who have done work on me have been at least as good as the civilians and didn't push expensive unnecessary procedures, so :shrug:

My experience with navy dental was the opposite. Guys re-filling every single filling I had ever gotten every 6 months, most likely for training and replacing the nice, ceramic fillings I got from good dentists with that lovely silver composite they used that seemed to pop out after a year, then having the E-2 hygienist sand paper my teeth for half an hour so when I did get out, I had to pay for crowns and veneers because I had no enamel left.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Maybe you just have a lovely mouth

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Booblord Zagats posted:

My experience with navy dental was the opposite. Guys re-filling every single filling I had ever gotten every 6 months, most likely for training and replacing the nice, ceramic fillings I got from good dentists with that lovely silver composite they used that seemed to pop out after a year, then having the E-2 hygienist sand paper my teeth for half an hour so when I did get out, I had to pay for crowns and veneers because I had no enamel left.

Hahaha, I ended up getting a lovely filling that they didn't fill all the way, so it left the cavity to have free reign on my teeth and it ended up with me needing two root canals to get done. The new dentist we got just shook his head and apologized for his idiot coworkers, now every time one of the other dentists says I need to get a filling (usually an O-6), I book it with the LT and he takes a look, tells me to just use a high fluoride toothpaste and floss to kill them off. Haven't had a new filling in years.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Pandasmores posted:

Hahaha, I ended up getting a lovely filling that they didn't fill all the way, so it left the cavity to have free reign on my teeth and it ended up with me needing two root canals to get done. The new dentist we got just shook his head and apologized for his idiot coworkers, now every time one of the other dentists says I need to get a filling (usually an O-6), I book it with the LT and he takes a look, tells me to just use a high fluoride toothpaste and floss to kill them off. Haven't had a new filling in years.

I have had similar experiences. Talked to an LT a couple of weeks ago who asked me who the gently caress did one of my fillings. I told him about the lovely dentists on Lejeune and how what used to be a small filling now took up my whole loving tooth because it had to be refilled....twice. Now I need a root canal because the filling has a gap and the tooth is decaying.

This new dude seems sincere in his disdain for his peers so I am going to give him a shot. We'll see what happens I guess.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Goddamn... My final waiver just got kicked back. They want proof of my wife making money under the table babysitting children for a princely sum of $200 a month.

9k cash in the bank
2k in our checking
House value 500k with a 150k mortgage
And my whole application rests on proof of my wife making $200 a month under the table. What the gently caress navy?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Bribes.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I wish but apparently it's above MEPS approval right now.

I just want to be a reservist. This is just silly.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
drat that seems even more complex then getting an Army OCS packet put together. All they cared about for me is whether I had any debt and what my credit score was for a security clearance.

I started this process at the end of June 2013 and I'm just now finally going to the OCS board in June 2014. gently caress thats a long time.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
its a sign

enlist in the marine corpse

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

LingcodKilla posted:

$200 a month

The irony is that you won't see 200$ a month as a reservist until you're babysitting other reservists.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah I'm way too old for the marines, my only other option is the coast guard.

Perfect credit btw. I may be off by like 2-4ptz

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

What's the age limit for the Navy Reserve? Army Reserve and ARNG should be 35-36 I think? It was 42 a few years ago though, heh.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

40 and I just turned 37. Passed my physical and got 97 on the asvab. Coast Guard is 40. Marines is like 30 and army is 35. Didn't bother with the Air Force.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LingcodKilla posted:

I wish but apparently it's above MEPS approval right now.

I just want to be a reservist. This is just silly.

I meant they want to be sure you're not easily bribeable. Bribable? Whatever.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Godholio posted:

I meant they want to be sure you're not easily bribeable. Bribable? Whatever.

Hahah I handle up to (redacted) amounts of cash a day as an ATM tech. If I was gonna be a dirt bag that would have happened years ago.
Man I hate waiting for their response back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

LingcodKilla posted:

Hahah I handle up to (redacted) amounts of cash a day as an ATM tech. If I was gonna be a dirt bag that would have happened years ago.
Man I hate waiting for their response back.

lol

:what:

• Locked thread