Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Inspector_666 posted:

What are the best melee weapons to kill those fuckers? All of the swords I like just slice the air at waist height and they run off.

Apparently the Halberd is pretty good (which makes sense, its main attack smacks the ground), but really, you're better off just grabbing a bow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

King of Solomon posted:

Apparently the Halberd is pretty good (which makes sense, its main attack smacks the ground), but really, you're better off just grabbing a bow.

My biggest problem is that I have no arrows left after Huntsman's Copse.

EDIT: Oh wait I should just do the shield slam with my Tower Greatshield. I always forget it has an attack :downs:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just lock on and do a jump attack, if you can do jump attacks reliably they die in one shot as soon as you get close, and you won't bounce off any walls they hug.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

argondamn posted:

A lot of people think that all his excessive whining and bad play is an act, that he's trying to be somebody you really want to hate. There is a little smoke to that theory, he won Super Turbo at EVO one year, even if it was on a crap console version.

That version of super turbo is so broken and different to the other versions that pretty much all your training on other versions was for naught, and he was the only one who had been training on it :v:

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Has anyone found how much item discovery you get from the three or so different hats that have it listed as an effect? I'm curious if they're all equal or not, but that seems like a hard thing to test.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So I think I'm in love with the Grand Lance. Think I may have to do a Vlad the Impaler playthrough.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Flytrap posted:

So I think I'm in love with the Grand Lance. Think I may have to do a Vlad the Impaler playthrough.

The strong attack animation for the Chariot Lance is pretty hilariously broken, is that the case for all of them?

It seems like a fun weapon type, but also really gimmicky.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Vanguard Warden posted:

Has anyone found how much item discovery you get from the three or so different hats that have it listed as an effect? I'm curious if they're all equal or not, but that seems like a hard thing to test.

I've wondered about this too.

Do Item Discovery items stack? I was wearing the travelling merchant hat (apparently the highest), gold serpentous ring +2, Prisoners Tatters chest, Telsedora pants. All those give + item find. Anyone know gloves name for + itme find? Iwas using jesters for +souls.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Inspector_666 posted:

The strong attack animation for the Chariot Lance is pretty hilariously broken, is that the case for all of them?

Great Lances are pretty obscene in how much damage they can poop out.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Soul Appease in Belfry Sol. :stare: Did 800 damage to a guy and knocked him flat.

Edit: And the second time I try it it does 1200 and one-shots. Holy poo poo.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 25, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The biggest problem with durability isn't even that 60 FPS makes it go down twice as fast, it's that it fucks with any weapon whose attack animations cause the model to stay in the enemy's body for a moment. For unfathomable reasons (I hope it was just bad implementation and not intentional) durability drains constantly as long as anything is in contact with an enemy, without any kind of check to make sure that swing hasn't already drained your durability from that enemy.

So a lot of weapons have huge durability problems because the recovery on their animations takes awhile and leaves the weapon in the enemy for a second (overhead smashes are usually the worst), eating 1/4 or more durability per bad guy. I remember being really disappointed by dual wielding and power stancing in general before the very end of my first game, where I found that power stancing the black knight halberd and Amana greathammer made them do a ton of damage. After 3 enemies I found that the different animations had taken half the durability off both of them and had to go back to normal attacks.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't remember what the Char Lance does. The Grand Lance just props the weapon up and charges forward a few steps.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I switched to the Murakumo and I swear that thing doesn't even hit rats half the time with the normal R1, let alone crystal lizards. I just lightning spear them on sight now. It's the only way to be sure.

By the way, what is the deal with the red crystal lizard in Brightstone Cove? It didn't drop anything when I killed it, and it's red.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I switched to the Murakumo and I swear that thing doesn't even hit rats half the time with the normal R1, let alone crystal lizards. I just lightning spear them on sight now. It's the only way to be safe.

By the way, what is the deal with the red crystal lizard in Brightstone Cove? It didn't drop anything when I killed it, and it's red.

That's purely a trap. They explode when you get close to them and its sole reason for being there is to knock you into the sand hole to your death.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Flytrap posted:

I don't remember what the Char Lance does. The Grand Lance just props the weapon up and charges forward a few steps.

Chariot Lance and Grand Lance have the same moveset. The strong attack is suprisingly non-lovely in PvP since it carries you forward so far that your opponent probably won't be able to get the backstab unless you are super obvious about it. And if they try to block or backstep they get trainstomped.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Azzents posted:

That's purely a trap. They explode when you get close to them and its sole reason for being there is to knock you into the sand hole to your death.

What about the one in Aldia's keep?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Flytrap posted:

Chariot does the same thing, but once you initiate it, you move to be in front of your target no matter what they're doing. It happened to me twice in No Man's Wharf that I would initiate the attack on one of the double-scimitar guys right as he started his attack, and my character would leap into the air and float over nothing while he shoved the lance down the dude's throat.

I also impaled 3 dudes at once which was pretty fun.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I don't mind people doing gimmick characters and cosplaying but can they please not just hack/mule the poo poo to themself? I know Vendrick's armor makes you look like a GoT character but at least get it legit. I really shouldn't be running into someone wearing it at 400K SM.

I did a Jesus playthrough where I healed everything with warmth and had to do it legit, they should too!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Red Mundus posted:

I don't mind people doing gimmick characters and cosplaying but can they please not just hack/mule the poo poo to themself? I know Vendrick's armor makes you look like a GoT character but at least get it legit. I really shouldn't be running into someone wearing it at 400K SM.

I did a Jesus playthrough where I healed everything with warmth and had to do it legit, they should too!

What does it matter? It's not like the armor is good or anything.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

They're dangerous to play against too, because once you know they're hacking you have no guarantee that they won't bork your soul memory or character. When waiting for my coordinated co-op buddy's summon sign to appear in the Forest of Fallen Giants (< 10k soul memory) I got invaded by someone in painting guardian armor and just suicided since someone had ruined another of my characters' soul memory in the same day. I know they could trade items down soul memory brackets to themselves but I doubt most people would bother instead of just cheating their soul memory downward.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
As long as someone isn't at 99 stats or infinite health, I don't really care if they have 99 of each item or +5 +10 of every type of armor and weapons.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Captain Oblivious posted:

What does it matter? It's not like the armor is good or anything.
The King's Crown gives +3 Int/Fth, that's pretty decent.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Nahxela posted:

The King's Crown gives +3 Int/Fth, that's pretty decent.

Some amount of bonus HP, too.

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?

Broken Cog posted:

There's one in Aldia's Keep?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Reduced my SM because I was getting gently caress all for bell tower summons at 3 million SM and I only need a few more wins for a sweet crazy puppet suit. If you got murdered trying to touch a bell by a smiling man with a skull for a face rest assured that I'm crying while whispering, "Shhh, it will be over soon."

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

fuxxo posted:

There's one in Aldia's Keep?
Yeah, it's down one of those off to the side hallways above Navlaan's hallway thing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ahahahaha what even is this

quote:

It’s the worst and least ethical form of play, taking the naturally constrained single encounters of Chess or Go into the heart of an infinity spiral rotating out from the center of a box of microprocessors built out of a grand network of exploitive labor practices around the world, creating a transfixing hallucination sublimely disassociated from the networks of labor required to produce it.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelthomsen/2014/04/25/is-dark-souls-ii-the-worst-game-ever-made/

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

DSauer posted:

If you got murdered trying to touch a bell by a smiling man with a skull for a face rest assured that I'm crying while whispering, "Shhh, it will be over soon."

If only the jester outfit had not been generic and instead came from a phantom that looked like this:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

This is what you call clickbait.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
How can Forbes writer type words "exploitive labor practices" and not explode in a shower of gore.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Its not the worst writing I've ever seen, but I've read a lot of first grader essays.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I've met a couple of hackers in my mass invasion stint. I think maybe two of them had infinite health, the rest all just had muled items and were going as gimmick characters. One of them was called Mr Beefy who had hacked his vitality to be 99, the other was a dude doing a weird Snuggly cosplay that kicked my rear end with what I think was a Manslayer, one pair was doing a Siegmeyer/Sieglinde runthrough of the game, and a bunch more that blurred together because they were just generic TV/video game characters.

I'm kind of annoyed at Mr Beefy because had we been equal soul level I would have won that invasion and also he didn't abuse his health to be in fully upgraded havels + havel's shield just refusing to let anything pass, way to squander that potential just for a lame health gimmick.

In all of these, I have not met anyone malicious. Lots of people who just alt+F4 or pull the ethernet though. Had one even do it when his summoned bud was in the middle of fighting me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

There is no way he is not just trolling Erik Kain, specifically.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I've wondered about this too.

Do Item Discovery items stack? I was wearing the travelling merchant hat (apparently the highest), gold serpentous ring +2, Prisoners Tatters chest, Telsedora pants. All those give + item find. Anyone know gloves name for + itme find? Iwas using jesters for +souls.

According to Tallgeese earlier in the thread, all the various armour pieces that buff item find call the same effect, so the item find given by them is all identical. Also, upgrading the armour doesn't affect the item find buff, but the buff stacks with item find bonuses from other pieces of armour and the ring.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Just chillin

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Benhart's greatsword is pretty good if you infuse it Raw. And Chameleon remains the best spell for subtle griefing. So many people don't notice a sconce moving pointedly toward their backs. STAY AWAY FROM THE BELLS.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Translation: I have a BA in English, and BY GOD I'M GOING TO USE IT. For SOMETHING.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

"Let me tell you about how I played a game I hate for over 300 hours, beating it many times in the process."

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This game is the worst game ever that I also happened to play 400 hours of.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
poo poo I freed Navlaan, will he be locked in NG+ or am i hosed?