Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I hope if they have character DLC in SSB that they do the compatibility patch thing. I don't want the online to get split by people buying or not buying things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Amppelix posted:

This is incredibly nitpicky, but "ken" isn't strictly "fist". Instead there are several spellings (or more accurately, several different kanji characters) of ken, which can mean things like sword, fist or even dog. Thank you Tales series for this very relevant information!

If we're going to say that Pokemon is a portmanteau of "Pokemon" and "Tekken", I would assume we're talking about the ken used in "Tekken" (拳). Which can only mean "fist." And the pun in Pokken is really obvious. There's even a big billboard with a giant fist on it in the teaser.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
I wouldn't count DLC as a big part of the upcoming Smash Bros., based on the director's comments about a year ago.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Nickoten posted:

If we're going to say that Pokemon is a portmanteau of "Pokemon" and "Tekken", I would assume we're talking about the ken used in "Tekken" (拳). Which can only mean "fist." And the pun in Pokken is really obvious. There's even a big billboard with a giant fist on it in the teaser.

To be fair, that fist is the icon for Fighting-type they've been using since the beginning of the Pokemon-TCG. But yeah, considering Nintendo's current relationship with Namco, the very obvious portmanteau and that 2-second teaser, it's very safe to say this will be a Pokemon-fighting game that at the very least will borrow a lot of elements from the Tekken-series.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I wouldn't count on things that were said a year ago as an indicator of where things are at now. A year ago there was no figurine plan.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Did the explicitly say the Figurine thing was for SSB?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
We also don't have any clue what exactly the figurines are going to do, so there's no point in acting like they're going to be DLC style things.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Help Im Alive posted:

The Wii U is saved

It's kind of fun to see what kids think when they aren't calling you a gaylord.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Sorry to be a bummer, but that "How can X when there's only 7 million people on earth." is a fairly popular meme.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Sorry to be a bummer, but that "How can X when there's only 7 million people on earth." is a fairly popular meme.

I'll need to see the Know Your Meme page before I believe this

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Broken Cog posted:

You made me feel old. I can't keep up with memes anymore. :smith:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Elliotw2 posted:

We also don't have any clue what exactly the figurines are going to do, so there's no point in acting like they're going to be DLC style things.
I would expect there to be DLC for the only two major major releases for Wii U this year. NSMBU and Pikmin were the major major releases of Wii U's first year and they both had DLC. Can't rule out Mario 3D World yet either since it's only been out for less than half a year.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

are nfc figures really just little statues that unlock things in games or do they do anything else? I mean I understand why that would appeal to children and how they could make bank for the company producing them but uh... I don't know where I'm going with this, they just seem pretty dumb I guess

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Basically yes, but also they are kind of like memory cards and can store stats and other information pertaining to a character across consoles and different games.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Anyone still looking for MK deals, here's one if you also want another game (...on top of Nintendo's free game), Toys R Us is doing 40% off a second game with MK.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

greatn posted:

Basically yes, but also they are kind of like memory cards and can store stats and other information pertaining to a character across consoles and different games.

So if they're keeping the sticker stat boosts from Brawl you could store them on the figure then immediately have your build if you went to play at a friend's house.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

njsykora posted:

So if they're keeping the sticker stat boosts from Brawl you could store them on the figure then immediately have your build if you went to play at a friend's house.

And the altered movesets Sakurai mentioned could also be stored.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I hope Smash will let you use the Wii Remote's onboard memory for that stuff. Speaking of, does the Pro Pad have that?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

actually that's pretty cool but I'd feel less like a tool if it was just on a card or something

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

I hope Smash will let you use the Wii Remote's onboard memory for that stuff. Speaking of, does the Pro Pad have that?

Come to think of it, was that ever used for anything else than bringing along Miis?

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
Brawl itself let you use it to transfer names and associated control/rumble settings, IIRC. Also, Pokémon Battle Revolution let you put teams on it.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

So finally fired up the NSMB:U that came with my console. Graphics are cool, balloon red yoshi amused me.. but do the controls feel sloppy as gently caress for a platformer or is it just me? Do you get used to it eventually?

fromagex
Oct 11, 2006

Gray Matter posted:

So finally fired up the NSMB:U that came with my console. Graphics are cool, balloon red yoshi amused me.. but do the controls feel sloppy as gently caress for a platformer or is it just me? Do you get used to it eventually?

They're pretty floaty and hard to manage long term.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Alternatively, NSMBU has the best physics of any 2D Mario game ever. You'll quickly learn how to use the spin move to influence your momentum for pinpoint accuracy.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah I thought the physics were fine once I got used to them. You need a crazy amount of precision for some of the stuff in challenge mode and I never felt like I was fighting against the physics at all.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Takes getting used to but yeah they even out and are pretty good

New Super Luigi U though....

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I ordered W101 today. Gonna arrive same day as MK8. I really need to get better about finishing my games. I have quite the backlog now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo Americans, TRU is doing a "buy Mario Kart, get another Wii U game for 40% off" deal, no idea if it works online or is in-store only. That's on top of the Club Nintendo freebie, of course.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yo Americans, TRU is doing a "buy Mario Kart, get another Wii U game for 40% off" deal, no idea if it works online or is in-store only. That's on top of the Club Nintendo freebie, of course.
It looks like it works online and in-store.

Here are the rules for it

quote:

40% off select Wii U games of equal or lesser value when you buy Mario Kart 8 for Wii U (Restrictions apply)
Excludes clearance. Online orders exclude pre-sell items. Must buy Mario Kart 8 for Wii U AND add to cart an eligible game of equal or lesser value for offer to apply. Purchase Required item cannot be used as a discount item.
HOW IT WORKS
· Maximum 1 discount per order

·

· While quantities last

· This offer cannot be combined with others

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Anyone have experience with release day shipping from Toysrus? Might cancel my order at Amazon.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Well, I guess now is as good a time as any to pick up Tropical Freeze at a discount for a rainy day while also getting MK8.

Edit: On the other hand, I googled their release date delivery to look for reviews and I'm seeing a lot of unsatisfied customers in that regard.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 26, 2014

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Well, I guess now is as good a time as any to pick up Tropical Freeze at a discount for a rainy day while also getting MK8.

Edit: On the other hand, I googled their release date delivery to look for reviews and I'm seeing a lot of unsatisfied customers in that regard.
If you're worried about it you could always stop by a physical Toys R Us on release day or email amazon to see if they'd match it

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

deafmute posted:

If you're worried about it you could always stop by a physical Toys R Us on release day or email amazon to see if they'd match it

Yeah, I think I'm gonna try that first option.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
The last time I did a Toys R Us deal online it took a week and a half to get my games...and they were showing in stock online.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Is there a MK8 thread yet? I figure as we get closer to Friday, there's going to be a whole lot more discussion here than the other games.

vvvv I am a moron, thank you

Dancing Peasant fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 27, 2014

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Dancing Peasant posted:

Is there a MK8 thread yet? I figure as we get closer to Friday, there's going to be a whole lot more discussion here than the other games.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3632104

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
:siren:Attention Ausgoons:siren:

Target's advertising Mario Kart 8 for $64AU, so if you want to not have to pay $80-90 for it, there's a good place to start.

edit: And Big W's actually beating that with a price of $58 :v:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 27, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

katkillad2 posted:

The last time I did a Toys R Us deal online it took a week and a half to get my games...and they were showing in stock online.

I bought Kirby Triple Deluxe from them online at launch when the promo gift card I had from buying Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze was about to expire and it arrived in a timely manner. Oddly enough, I was just going to get it from the local store but they had none in stock even though the website said they did. :psyduck:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

SubNat posted:

Come to think of it, was that ever used for anything else than bringing along Miis?

Super Swing Golf let you take your custom golfer on your remote. Besides Miis and Smash though, I cant think of anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Pushmo is a dope game and now the Wii U is getting a new Pushmo and that's :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuU8-hTDBdg

• Locked thread