Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ddraig posted:

Charlie Brooker is both the luckiest guy in the world and the world's biggest bastard for marrying Konnie Huq. She was the only reason I'd watch Blue Peter.
I'd give her a sticky back.

Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

goatface posted:

Glasgow, get the train every day.

Might be a bit more difficult this year with the commonwealth games overlap. Glasgow prices are ridiculous over summer too.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Ddraig posted:

Charlie Brooker is both the luckiest guy in the world and the world's biggest bastard for marrying Konnie Huq. She was the only reason I'd watch Blue Peter.

I dont find her very attractive to be honest, and her voice irritates me

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

BBC4 is showing a stage performance of The Duchess of Malfi, filmed by candlelight at the Globe earlier this year.

Not sure how I feel about it, Gemma Arterton is luminous in the role, but the actors are very definitely performing it for the stage and their live audience. And the camera keeps cutting between all the actors far too rapidly, as it would in a standard TV drama, and it's taking me right out of the moment

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Taff posted:

I dont find her very attractive to be honest, and her voice irritates me
Good job thanks for letting us know how unattractive you find a person. Oh, and how annoying you find her voice. Any other women you find sexually unappealing?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Akuma posted:

Good job thanks for letting us know how unattractive you find a person. Oh, and how annoying you find her voice. Any other women you find sexually unappealing?

I've got a list and I will share the relevant names as and when they come up when other people mention how fantastic they are

x239marine
Jun 20, 2009

'Thank you, I'm here till Duke's Day!

Akuma posted:

Didn't realise Charlie Brooker has a forums account

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Of course he does.

Exactly his style to go for a 9/11 regdate too.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Taff posted:

I've got a list and I will share the relevant names as and when they come up when other people mention how fantastic they are

How do you feel about Fearne Cotton?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Rarity posted:

You know this, please dont troll me by bringing her up. I cant post the Peaches and Fearne thing again

x239marine
Jun 20, 2009

'Thank you, I'm here till Duke's Day!
Am i missing something with the harry and paul bbc2 story?

Its just a bit dull really

Edit: It's getting better

Edit 2: right, I now want a pingu version of the killing

x239marine fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 25, 2014

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Irisi posted:

Yeah, this is the best option, my cousins come and stay with me in Glasgow and travel over to Edinburgh for the Fringe a couple days every year. Trains and buses shuttle between the cities every ten minutes during the day, and every hour or so at night. Much cheaper, and you don't end up in jail for headbutting the millionth person who tries to shove a bloody flyer in your face while you're walking through the streets.

I wouldn't get the train though, that poo poo gets expensive fast. I remember commuting to work from just Falkirk and it was like a fiver a day. You're looking at £12.60 for an off peak return to glasgow from Edinburgh on the train. Doing that every day is going to get really costly.

I just did a quick check for hostels for the first week of the fringe and the costs aren't that high (Yet). http://www.hostelbookers.com/results/loc/dd/dst/1003/arr/2014-08-01/ngt/7/ppl/1/prptyp/8/

There are prices there from just ~£30 which is 3 days of travel on the train, never mind the additional accommodation you'd have to pay for in Glasgow.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Akuma posted:

Sarah Millican doesnt do anything for me sexually, i dont find her funny at all, her voice is horrible and i dont usually mind that accent.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Ponce de Le0n posted:

Sarah Millican doesnt do anything for me sexually

I'm not surprised, you haven't even met her and she's married

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Paperhouse posted:

I'm not surprised, you haven't even met her and she's married

You don't know if i've met her or not paperhouse.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ponce de Le0n posted:

You don't know if i've met her or not paperhouse.
Have you met Rachel Riley? Because she's not married.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

No and im not surprised she's not married, born in essex but supports man u? how could you trust a glory hunter.

Shameful behaviour.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Rachel did the maths and the maths said it makes sense to support United

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Irisi posted:

BBC4 is showing a stage performance of The Duchess of Malfi, filmed by candlelight at the Globe earlier this year.

Not sure how I feel about it, Gemma Arterton is luminous in the role, but the actors are very definitely performing it for the stage and their live audience. And the camera keeps cutting between all the actors far too rapidly, as it would in a standard TV drama, and it's taking me right out of the moment

It was a very good production, I'd encourage everyone to watch it. I'm not going to criticise actors on stage for stage acting, but I wish some theater fundamentalist would put their foot down on trying to film it like tv. Just put a single, unmoving camera in a good seat, point it at the stage and don't touch it til the show's over.
Shame about the hour-long programme on Webster beforehand, which was pretty sloppy.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

It was a very good production, I'd encourage everyone to watch it. I'm not going to criticise actors on stage for stage acting, but I wish some theater fundamentalist would put their foot down on trying to film it like tv. Just put a single, unmoving camera in a good seat, point it at the stage and don't touch it til the show's over.
Shame about the hour-long programme on Webster beforehand, which was pretty sloppy.

Yeah, once it was all done I realised it was the camerawork that was making me annoyed; couldn't fault any of the actors. Particularly the man playing Bosolo, he was magnificent as the cynical, murdering, self-aware servant of those two diabolical brothers.

Loved the lighting effects too, it's amazing to see the effects and different kinds of atmosphere that can be produced with a couple of candles.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Josh Lyman posted:

I saw her in person when I went to watch a filming if countdown and she was stunningly beautiful in real life.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Wife and I moved to Edinburgh a month ago and we found a cheap flat that wasn't a shithole and was amazingly surprised.

We have a sofabed going at reduced goon rates for August :smug:

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
I would make goons pay a goon surcharge

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So Dave is showing all of Red Dwarf X and I'm slightly surprised how much I'm enjoying it. It's a bit odd seeing them older, but after a while it becomes hard to notice what with them falling effortlessly back into their roles.

Glad to see they've gone back to basics with it being the four main characters. Just finished watching Fathers and Suns and it was a pretty good episode. David leaving himself messages as his dad was a highlight, as was the sinister new computer.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Reminder that theyre replaying "A Quiet Night In", the awesome episode of Inside Number 9 tonight

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Taff posted:

Reminder that theyre replaying "A Quiet Night In", the awesome episode of Inside Number 9 tonight

I loved this episode.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ddraig posted:

So Dave is showing all of Red Dwarf X and I'm slightly surprised how much I'm enjoying it. It's a bit odd seeing them older, but after a while it becomes hard to notice what with them falling effortlessly back into their roles.

Glad to see they've gone back to basics with it being the four main characters. Just finished watching Fathers and Suns and it was a pretty good episode. David leaving himself messages as his dad was a highlight, as was the sinister new computer.

I started watching that episode half way through and I had no idea what was going on. Funny though.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Did anyone watch The Life of Steve Coogan (or something) on BBC 2 last night. I made it through 5 minutes before turning against it. Not even Vic and Bob's poo poo impressions could conceal the back-slapping.
Also did anyone watch the new grim and gritty detective show, this one starring Mr. Miller's Crossing himself Quirke? Was it good? It seems like it might have been good.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

McDragon posted:

I started watching that episode half way through and I had no idea what was going on. Funny though.

In an earlier episode it's been established that Lister is actually his own father, so he now gets completely shitfaced and leaves himself messages and presents to himself for Father's day.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

x239marine posted:

Am i missing something with the harry and paul bbc2 story?

Its just a bit dull really

Edit: It's getting better

Edit 2: right, I now want a pingu version of the killing
I just watched this on a friend's recommendation. Thought it was really great once it got going. I enjoyed how it mostly turned into "comedians making fun of other comedians" which is something I don't think there's enough of around. They also managed to execute it competently enough that it didn't come off as just "ho ho aren't we clever for pointing out how dumb and formulaic comedy is".

edit: this was probably the best bit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2z-AdzgKjY

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Mary Ann Gilchrist on Great British Menu is so ugly it's actually making me consider skipping this weeks edition.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

WastedJoker posted:

Mary Ann Gilchrist on Great British Menu is so ugly it's actually making me consider skipping this weeks edition.

thanks for telling us your opinion on some old hag on british tv mate UGH

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

WastedJoker posted:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Which of the 2 Masterchef's is the fittest? The guy with hair has hair, but his face is falling off, while the one without it has the pleasing solidity of a cueball.
Anyway I went back and watched Quirke and in fact, it's bad. A collection of stock-characters and an uncompelling story, and it's so grim and grey it's ugly to look at.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Penny Dreadful is very entertaining so far. Silly, but entertaining. Proteus looks ever so slightly like Karl Pilkington and it's a bit distracting. He's very endearing OH loving HELL!

Should have waited until the end of the episode to type that sentence. Well, I'm a bit sad now. :(

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I was surprised to enjoy the first episode of Penny Dreadful. I thought the end was a bit on the nose, but overall not the staggering slush of slurry I was expecting.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Rarity posted:

1 down, 1 to go.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Just been given an interview date for a BBC job. I know this isn't really the place but a couple of people seem to work within the TV industry and I was wondering if anyone had some tips?

It's an interview and an assessment.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

PriorMarcus posted:

Just been given an interview date for a BBC job. I know this isn't really the place but a couple of people seem to work within the TV industry and I was wondering if anyone had some tips?

Are you presenting News Night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

PriorMarcus posted:

Don't say anything controversial about anything. And if anyone asks, Brucey is an institution