Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

I had bought a Shark S700 last year and discovered that in the States there was no support in terms of accessories from Shark for their bottom end helmets. My problem was that the long chin guard essentially created a direct flow of air into my eyes. Not a huge deal when it was warm, but not ideal. In my quest for helmet satori I tried to get bits and pieces from a German web retailer such as a chin curtain and a pinlock insert. They didn't ship across the pond because they're fuckers who hate money. As autumn approached, I got fed up with watery eyes and my face freezing in cool temps. I desperation bought an AGV K3 on closeout for my "cool weather" helmet. Nice helmet, but no internal sun visor.

This spring, pissed off and eyeballing my helmets I had an idea. I noticed the K3's chin curtain looked about right size, considering it tries to fall out every time I take the helmet off. I grabbed it and jabbed that fucker into my Shark. It fits, it works awesome. I now like my Shark. Best part is that unlike my AGV, the chin curtain does in fact stay in place. Best part is you can order a chin curtain for the K3 pretty easy for cheap. Alas, no pinlock. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
I am back in the Midwest for the first time since I started riding 18 months ago and it is freaking me out the number of people on bikes with no helmets. I haven't even seen gloves or a real jacket yet and definitely no pants or proper boots.

So let me get this straight Midwest, you can ride with no helmet but you can't lane split because that's too dangerous?!

Every biker I see makes me cringe for their safety.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Stugazi posted:

I am back in the Midwest for the first time since I started riding 18 months ago and it is freaking me out the number of people on bikes with no helmets. I haven't even seen gloves or a real jacket yet and definitely no pants or proper boots.

So let me get this straight Midwest, you can ride with no helmet but you can't lane split because that's too dangerous?!

There are places where it isn't like this? Summer gloves and a full face helmet with no other protective gear probably puts you in the top percentile of gear wearing riders here in Texas.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Stugazi posted:

Colorado is the same way. I want to lane split so baaaaaaaaaad (originally from CA).

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

Yeh, just wondered because the real physical store downtown is selling RF_1200 solids for 425 + tax so if that's also the going rate online, which it seems to be on RevZilla and the like, I'd just as soon support the local dealers. Not that SF Moto really needs the support, they aren't exactly hurting if they can afford a storefront in downtown SoMa, but still.

Shoei does come with a five year warranty. RF1200 gets a free pinlock insert, too.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Riven posted:

Colorado is the same way. I want to lane split so baaaaaaaaaad (originally from CA).

Oh god this (minus being from Cali).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah I am so goddamn spoiled from splitting all over the place here that I fear I'll be arrested immediately on leaving the state as I just start automatically doing it.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah I am so goddamn spoiled from splitting all over the place here that I fear I'll be arrested immediately on leaving the state as I just start automatically doing it.

It helps that I haven't had a bike in 5 years, so it's just a desire and not a habit.

Gear talk: I'm pretty seriously considering getting a Roadcrafter (probably black with hi-viz ballistics), and the main thing stopping me is that I ride a BMW (F800S), and I associate them strongly with old fat guys who ride Beemers.

That's silly and I'm skinny and don't ride a 1300LT and old fat guy stereotypes aside they're great for commuting and I should get one right?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yes, you should. Also, always wear pajamas under your aerostitch. Always.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Riven posted:

It helps that I haven't had a bike in 5 years, so it's just a desire and not a habit.

Gear talk: I'm pretty seriously considering getting a Roadcrafter (probably black with hi-viz ballistics), and the main thing stopping me is that I ride a BMW (F800S), and I associate them strongly with old fat guys who ride Beemers.

That's silly and I'm skinny and don't ride a 1300LT and old fat guy stereotypes aside they're great for commuting and I should get one right?

I'm trying to figure out a way to look like not-a-dork on a Harley without either being a Spacelord or a Leather Daddy. :(

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Akion posted:

I'm trying to figure out a way to look like not-a-dork on a Harley without either being a Spacelord or a Leather Daddy. :(

Space Lord 4 Life

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you're a slave to fashion, you can get some armored kevlar jeans, a simple black jacket, solid colored full-face helmet, understated gloves and motorcycle boots designed to look like regular boots, and you'll be pretty well covered. It won't be super cheap (the boots in particular) but you'll just look like a guy on a motorcycle.

Dainese Space Lord all the way

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm most of the way there. I have a Joe Rocket leather jacket (black w/armor), EXO (matte black) and some plain old Icon gloves. Riding in workboots right now.

I've heard the Kevlar Jeans are a mixed bag as far as standing up to a slide? It's 2014. Where is my personal forcefield?

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

If you're a slave to fashion, you can get some armored kevlar jeans, a simple black jacket, solid colored full-face helmet, understated gloves and motorcycle boots designed to look like regular boots, and you'll be pretty well covered. It won't be super cheap (the boots in particular) but you'll just look like a guy on a motorcycle.

Dainese Space Lord all the way

I need something for over my work clothes (khakis/polo). Don't want to have to change. Want good protection. I thought about leathers despite those not matching these needs, but the rain in CO is so unpredictable that I just don't think it would work.

Fashion isn't my need. It's utility. I just don't want to be a fat old guy.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
If they ever make replica power Rangers motorcycle gear I'm gonna be all over that white ranger suit. Space Lord

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I don't mind being a Dainese Space Lord most of the time, but some times it's a pain in the rear end. To me though, geared riders, look more competent even if they really aren't. Even the guy in mc jeans, a mesh jacket, timberlands, etc. On the way back from errands early this morning, I saw this guy in shorts, t-shirt, crocs, and no helmet paddling and waddling his giganta-davidson out into the road. He's well into the road still paddling along. I'm not sure why, but the complete lack of gear made me notice his riding inability.

On a positive note, I went on an all day ride yesterday and saw more than one cruiser rider in full gear including full faces. I was a bit surprised. Part of me thinks gear is catching on, at least around here. I see more people wearing it than I did a few years ago. Maybe it's my imagination.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Riven posted:

I need something for over my work clothes (khakis/polo). Don't want to have to change. Want good protection. I thought about leathers despite those not matching these needs, but the rain in CO is so unpredictable that I just don't think it would work.

Fashion isn't my need. It's utility. I just don't want to be a fat old guy.

http://store.teizms.com/lombard ?

Or you could just wear normal textiles/leather and bring a set of frogg toggs along with you.

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

i cant even spell my name god help me

iwentdoodie posted:

http://store.teizms.com/lombard ?

Or you could just wear normal textiles/leather and bring a set of frogg toggs along with you.

Yeah, I ride to work every day, including when it rains, with Rev'It textile gear over my khakis and polo. I just leave some deodorant, a comb, and work shoes at my desk. I guess this is a problem if it isn't socially acceptable to walk into your office in space lord mode.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

mguirk the jerk posted:

Yeah, I ride to work every day, including when it rains, with Rev'It textile gear over my khakis and polo. I just leave some deodorant, a comb, and work shoes at my desk. I guess this is a problem if it isn't socially acceptable to walk into your office in space lord mode.

It's not a problem for me, the bigger issue is that by the time you get to textile stuff of the quality of a Roadcrafter, you're spending that much anyways, like the Alpinestars New Land stuff.

I'd never heard of Teiz before. That Lombard suit looks good. My concern with it is their "Why pay overpay for Gore-Tex?" thing. Well, it's because most waterproof stuff that isn't Gore-Tex is clammy as poo poo. I would definitely want to try on one of their liners before actually buying something. The other reason to have the Gore-Tex built in is for when you have weather like here, where it will be 75 and sunny and then a storm will drop over the mountains and in 10 minutes the weather will drop 15 degrees and dump an inch of rain on you. Unless you have a convenient place to pull over to put the rain liner in your suit, you're gonna be drenched.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I got a set of Frogg Toggs jacket/pants for my birthday and took them for a test ride last week. Worked really well, they do a great job of breathing in the heat (without letting in water) too.

The overboots are also good, have had those for longer. Surprisingly, they don't make shifting any clunkier.

Kevlar jeans don't appeal to me; I'd much rather throw on my overpants than pay $200 for some jeans that don't look good and also lack impact protection. It takes all of 20 seconds to take them off and toss them in my bottom desk drawer at work, or I just deal with walking around in the grocery store/post office whatever in a pair of Rev'It Airwaves for a few minutes. To each their own.

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

i cant even spell my name god help me

Pompous Rhombus posted:

It takes all of 20 seconds to take them off and toss them in my bottom desk drawer at work

Hmph. I throw my gear haphazardly around my cube so I can inhale the sweet, sweet stank of exhaust fumes all day.

The high I get is why I'm a better programmer than my coworkers :smugmrgw:

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Must of my gear is Dainese because "Spacelord" but I have one A* jacket and it is f'ing badass. They have closed the gap in my mind.

The old man in me likes tourmaster stuff. I would deny this in public.

I would love to get my hands on an aerostich just to understand the hype. Its definitely not for the looks!

Edit: No matter the weather when I ride to work I feel like I have that bike smell all day. Not great when I am in big meetings with close proximity most of the time.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I like Tourmaster stuff too. Between my white helmet and Hi-Viz Tourmaster jacket I'm basically a white BMW away from passing for a European cycle cop.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Terminus Est posted:

I had bought a Shark S700 last year and discovered that in the States there was no support in terms of accessories from Shark for their bottom end helmets. My problem was that the long chin guard essentially created a direct flow of air into my eyes. Not a huge deal when it was warm, but not ideal. In my quest for helmet satori I tried to get bits and pieces from a German web retailer such as a chin curtain and a pinlock insert. They didn't ship across the pond because they're fuckers who hate money. As autumn approached, I got fed up with watery eyes and my face freezing in cool temps. I desperation bought an AGV K3 on closeout for my "cool weather" helmet. Nice helmet, but no internal sun visor.

This spring, pissed off and eyeballing my helmets I had an idea. I noticed the K3's chin curtain looked about right size, considering it tries to fall out every time I take the helmet off. I grabbed it and jabbed that fucker into my Shark. It fits, it works awesome. I now like my Shark. Best part is that unlike my AGV, the chin curtain does in fact stay in place. Best part is you can order a chin curtain for the K3 pretty easy for cheap. Alas, no pinlock. :(

I've recently retired my S700 due to my accidentally spiking it into the ground like an idiot. I've got two (used!) pinlocks and the proper chin guard, shoot me a mail and I'll ship em over to you from Blighty if you like?

rainy dot home at that popular google owned mail service :)

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

I've recently retired my S700 due to my accidentally spiking it into the ground like an idiot. I've got two (used!) pinlocks and the proper chin guard, shoot me a mail and I'll ship em over to you from Blighty if you like?

rainy dot home at that popular google owned mail service :)

E-mail sent!

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I was thinking of getting Kevlar Jeans for a little more protection for my legs. Are there any slim cut kevlar jeans out there?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Dianese does Kevlar jeans, pretty sure they'd be Euro sized (slim cut). They look it. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-d6-kevlar-jeans

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I cannot for the life of me ride in slim/fitting jeans. I wear 501s or 501 patterned jeans, and I can make it maybe five miles in them on a bike before my hip flexors are screaming.

Baggy jeans, leathers, textiles? No problem. But not jeans that actually fit. Which I consider good because it means I won't ride with them.

All that said, I spent ~600 on gear the other day. Dainese Veloce jacket, Dainese TRQ-Out boots, AGV K3, some cheap Kevlar jeans and some Sedici gloves.

Now to get to California, so I can actually get some real pants.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Those are solid boots, I really really like my Torque Out Airs.
Spacelord Supreme.

On that note, I noticed my dainese gloves have developed a lack of stitching in the lower palm of my left hand :iiam:
Does Dainese have a wear and tear warranty? I've only had this glove for like 2 months. Is it even worth bothering? They were only 80 dollars I guess I could use this as an opportunity to get some cool gauntlets or something.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Not sure where you are, but I know if I have a problem with any of my gear in that sort of time frame I just need to take my reciept back in with my gloves to the shop and they'll exchange it for me.

In fact, I had a pair of Five gloves that were poo poo, took them back after about 2 months, exhanged them, had to take the next ones back within' 3 weeks, they exchanged them again, then again within' 2 weeks because the stitching kept coming apart. Ended up exchanging them after that time for my current Dainese ones. (Which rock).

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
My Rev'It Chevrons are both tearing at the stitching right over the velcro wrist closure. I've put far less than a season's riding on them, so that's pretty disappointing. Looking at Revzilla it looks like a lot of people are having the same problem. This pic isn't mine, but it's the same fault:

They've also got a little rubber trim strip that has a sharp point that worked its way through the insides of both gloves and was poking the poo poo out of my hand until I figured out what it was and trimmed it back.

I like Rev'It stuff a lot but I've got to retract my recommendation for the Chevrons. Once I'm done with my move I'll see if Rev'It or Revzilla can do anything for repair/exchange.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

iwentdoodie posted:

I cannot for the life of me ride in slim/fitting jeans. I wear 501s or 501 patterned jeans, and I can make it maybe five miles in them on a bike before my hip flexors are screaming.

Baggy jeans, leathers, textiles? No problem. But not jeans that actually fit. Which I consider good because it means I won't ride with them.

All that said, I spent ~600 on gear the other day. Dainese Veloce jacket, Dainese TRQ-Out boots, AGV K3, some cheap Kevlar jeans and some Sedici gloves.

Now to get to California, so I can actually get some real pants.

How do you like the Veloce? I got it in white and I loving love it, it was so much more comfortable then everything else I tried. My only complaints are that it is a little short and my Astars gauntlets don't really fit over it that well. Other than that it is a loving dream.

Smells good too.

Edit
Vv vv vvv
loving owns.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 27, 2014

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Am I a bad person for wanting this?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...gv_pista_carbon

What a hideous helmet, drivers can't help but see you!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I'm not really impressed with Icon helmet construction and features but if you look through their designs they are killing it with the artwork.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm not really impressed with Icon helmet construction and features but if you look through their designs they are killing it with the artwork.

Yeah that's what I've read/heard about them. But for the price point I guess there has to be a tradeoff somewhere. I kind of see the Icon helmets as honeypot gear for converting squids.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Razzled posted:

Am I a bad person for wanting this?

No, that helmet is rad.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
"Kind of crappily put together but looks amazing" describes a good bit of Icon's product line, at least the parts not excessively geared to nu-metal fans.

Part of me wants to get the 1000 jacket in bright red as part of an all-red-leather outfit for my bright red bike, but the $600 price point combined with the kinda meh impression of Icon stuff (including the Daytona leather jacket I already have) has dissuaded so far. Plus they don't actually have matching pants.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Chichevache posted:

How do you like the Veloce? I got it in white and I loving love it, it was so much more comfortable then everything else I tried. My only complaints are that it is a little short and my Astars gauntlets don't really fit over it that well. Other than that it is a loving dream.

Smells good too.

Pretty much the same for me. Can be iffy getting gloves over it, but it still works. And the fit/finish is amazing so far. And yeah the smell.

I'm not their normal fit, though. I can wear a 56, 58 is more comfy. But in other gear I'm in the high 40s for size. Tried on a one piece suit they had on clearance, Dainese size 56, and it fit fine...until I put an arm in. As soon as I tried to get an arm in a sleeve, the crotch shoved my balls directly into my body so hard that my vision went funny.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Snowdens Secret posted:

"Kind of crappily put together but looks amazing" describes a good bit of Icon's product line, at least the parts not excessively geared to nu-metal fans.

Part of me wants to get the 1000 jacket in bright red as part of an all-red-leather outfit for my bright red bike, but the $600 price point combined with the kinda meh impression of Icon stuff (including the Daytona leather jacket I already have) has dissuaded so far. Plus they don't actually have matching pants.

My summer jacket is an older Icon Overlord that I picked up on closeout for like $80, it seems really well made, Cordura frame, hatd plastic armor at shoulders, elbows and back, it's extremely heavy textile, so it'll roast you if you're standing still in the sun, but has great airflow for the highway.

IMO their stuff's not bad, just overpriced until it goes on closeout. I wouldn't bother buying a helmet from them though, leave that to the well-established helmet makers.

One day I will sell my Marauder, and spend all the money on sweet, sweet Italian Spacelord gear.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Same here. I've got an Icon Overlord textile. They're well built and decent for the price. Certainly nothing you'd want to crash in on a track, but they're great for around town or short highway trips.