Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

PublicOpinion posted:

Tonight, on Tales of Bug Fixing:

Well if the yak is the best person for the job. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I heard he really carries his weight. Everyone loves a worker who pulls his share of the load.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Gilok posted:

Well if the yak is the best person for the job. :colbert:

If the alternative is a dwarf there's no 'if'. High-ranking dwarf wants a table, a bed, a nice room, chairs, etc. Yak will sit in one spot and doesn't even need to sleep.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Dreggon posted:

If the alternative is a dwarf there's no 'if'. High-ranking dwarf wants a table, a bed, a nice room, chairs, etc. Yak will sit in one spot and doesn't even need to sleep.

No, yaks are as pretentious as dwarves - they require a steady supply of grass to subsist off of, while the more noble animals are fine with just air.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Suicide Sam E. posted:

I already have 2 or 3 legendary engravers. Also, a lot of my common areas are already engraved with exceptional and masterful pictures — mostly the "giant jaguar kills someone" motif, but finally my dwarves have begun acknowledging the accomplishments of our fortress in the past decade or so. Finally some engravings of people who are not the mayor or broker! A new section of giant jaguar history is still revealed now and then. Maybe my dwarves are like the Aztec or something?

I opt for the 3x2 bedroom for undistinguished dwarves. I have not gotten around to fitting a table and chair in each as my plan calls for, but there is space. 3x2 bedrooms in 5x5 blocks of rooms.

Do you engrave walls also? I have been avoiding it because of the extra difficulty it would add in distinguishing the rooms from each other (as they are already crowded and cluttered.

I engrave everything, but I use ironhand as well, so it is easier for me.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Given some historical contexts, I think appointing animals to various positions should be kept in.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Next thing you know, the mountain king will take a horse for his bride.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
It's like Caligula but shorter and hairier.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

So UristDaVinci shed some light on how wrestling and charging work.

• Sheer bulk matters nearly as much as the strength stat itself, so fatness and being born large are a straight advantage.
  • Unskilled wrestlers can effortlessly slap around anything smaller than 75% of their own size.
  • Ultra grandmasters of every discipline start getting outmatched by completely unskilled brutes about 1.3x times their size.

• You use Fighter, Dodger and Observer skills to avoid charging. Failing the observer check displays the "surprised by the ferocity" message.
  • When the two fighters collide, a wrestling check determines who falls over.
  • The AI knows how it all works and will charge any time it feels it has an advantage. This is a cue that wrestling would be useless.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The largest dwarf in my fort is 99,570m3.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

99,570 cubic meters? that's a big dwarf

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Daaaamn, I wouldn't have thought dwarves went over 1 or 2 cubic meters. :staredog:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

1 m3 = 1000 dm3 = 1000000 cm3 = one short ton and change.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh now I see the 'c' in Dwarf Therapist.

:v:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

So roughly equivalent to a washing machine drum. Or 2/3rds of a bathtub. Also 210.4 pints, for a nicely dwarven measurement size.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
That... actually sounds about right for a pretty big dwarf.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I just translate every 1000 cm3 as a single kilogram when it comes to creature sizes. Stops me from going nuts.

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Chinese Starcraft tomato ninja image
Maybe Toady is considering adding more fluid dynamics, like displacement of water due to the volume of bodies in it?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

scamtank posted:

I just translate every 1000 cm3 as a single kilogram when it comes to creature sizes. Stops me from going nuts.

volume = mass?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

volume = mass?

Assuming that they're roughly the density of water, at least.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

:spergin:

Muscle density is around 1.06gml and fat is 0.9g/ml whereas water is - obviously - 1g/ml.

So yeah, how much fat and muscle is a single dwarf?

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Chinese Starcraft tomato ninja image

Michaellaneous posted:

:spergin:

Muscle density is around 1.06gml and fat is 0.9g/ml whereas water is - obviously - 1g/ml.

So yeah, how much fat and muscle is a single dwarf?

It should vary, given stats like strength and size/height. Dwarves bodybuilding contests in DF 2016?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Dmaonk posted:

It should vary, given stats like strength and size/height. Dwarves bodybuilding contests in DF 2016?

Let's make a new fortress on the beach and name it Malibu.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
DF actually does use those densities for muscle and fat (and 0.8 g/ml for liquid fat).

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

PublicOpinion posted:

DF actually does use those densities for muscle and fat (and 0.8 g/ml for liquid fat).

Of course, the only time your dwarves would have liquid fat is when you're trying to burn it off. (With fire, for all you exercise nuts)

Speaking of wrestling and size, there's no good way to up an adventurer's fat is there?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Triskelli posted:

Speaking of wrestling and size, there's no good way to up an adventurer's fat is there?

Not sure if it works in adventure mode but just eat. A lot.

Pretty sure dwarves get skinny if they are deprived of food and vice versa; there's the idler dwarves that do almost nothing and eat regularly and get lardy.

Unless I'm just imagining poo poo.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I tried it out in adventure mode and after eating three berries, waiting an hour, and repeating through 102 stolen berries the test character was still "thin" at the end of it. I might have to try it again with eating animal products since they're heavier but I'm going to guess it isn't remotely worth the effort.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
You bulk up as your strength and toughness stats increase. You end up being a mountain of muscle that shoves over every stray goblin you encounter. It is fantastic :black101:

It also makes it easy to play my favourite adventurer game: Goblin stacking. You get to the edge of a cliff while in super-sneak and charge multiple goblins off it one at a time so they land on top of each other.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pickled Tink posted:

You bulk up as your strength and toughness stats increase. You end up being a mountain of muscle that shoves over every stray goblin you encounter. It is fantastic :black101:

"That dwarf is pushing everyone around again! Are you going to take that? No? Send away now for Gob-Atlas' body building manual!"

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I think Dwarf Fortress is trying to tell me something...

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
We all knew Dwarf Fortress would become self-aware at some point, we just didn't know how accurate it'd be.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I've been poking around on the wiki, and I can't seem to find a definitive answer, so I'll ask here:

When an outpost liaison discusses trade options with your expedition leader, they will open a bargain option for you to select "priority rankings" for items. There isn't any primer to explain what these rankings do. The only thing I can gather is that putting something at a high ranking makes that item more expensive in trade.

Whats the purpose of putting anything at a higher ranking?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The higher the priority, the more they'll bring, from what I understand.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

They'll bring that thing next year. The higher it is, the more they will try to deliver, but having to scrounge around their suppliers drives up the fee for their trouble.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm surprised nobody's talking about the new release that dropped this afternoon.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

I'm surprised nobody's talking about the new release that dropped this afternoon.

You bastard.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

One week away from the 2 year anniversary... I'm on the edge of my seat to see if Toady will make it before then (not really I've abandoned hope).

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Munki posted:

oh you dick

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Urist McGoon has been depressed recently. Urist McGoon fell for a horrible trick by BadMunki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I sense a tantrum spiral looming in this thread.