Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
And the fact that its partially because of vote splitting between the Greens and the SNP - UKIP have actually fallen from their position in some of the polls...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Guardian says the Ukips won it.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...
As far as I know all the local councils in Scotland, barring the Western Isles, have declared and their vote isn't enough to affect the result.

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014

IceAgeComing posted:

And the fact that its partially because of vote splitting between the Greens and the SNP - UKIP have actually fallen from their position in some of the polls...

Wellllll, that's the same across the country and always is i non-FPTP. You simply can't just transfer votes like that, not all Greens would be willing to hold their nose and vote center-left.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

IceAgeComing posted:

Now see, if we had used STV, then... (begins drawing diagrams in chalk on the walls, foaming at the mouth slightly, words start to descend into incoherence)

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

From the BBC website.

Glasgow result

Labour: 45,676, SNP: 37,820, Greens: 15,359, UKIP: 12,638, Conservatives: 10,985, Lib Dems: 3,830.

Well...at least Greens beat UKIP...But god this is starting to get bad. So what regions are left to be counted in? The Western Isles results are tomorrow so that may or may not get hopes up. Just depends on the Isles attitude to SNP. Is there any other regions still to be counted in.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
That is fair: I'm just trying to say that its not a SURGE OF UKIP; they're ceiling seems to be 10% in Scotland. I know lots of people who would ordinarily have voted Green in PR elections (including me) ended up voting SNP to try to get rid of UKIP; so the Green vote are probably down a little bit over where they would normally be.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I don't know why them blaming the LD results on them being 'pro-Europe' as opposed to THE ENTIRE COALITION BETRAYAL THING is driving me crazy, but it is.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Basically :clegg: killed Europe.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
On the positive side: I'm fairly certain that Northern Ireland would be the only region where a UKIP MEP won't be elected. :toot:

(For context, due to Norn Iron politics, we're using the Single Transferable Vote system, which means that there's a good 13 people fighting over three seats before UKIP comes into play. There's no way in hell that UKIP's getting in, considering everyone has shouting "don't let the folk on the other religious side get in" as per usual)

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 26, 2014

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Chucat posted:

I don't know why them blaming the LD results on them being 'pro-Europe' as opposed to THE ENTIRE COALITION BETRAYAL THING is driving me crazy, but it is.

Half of the collapse is the typical squeeze on junior parties in coalition, though; also see the Labour Party in Ireland.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Chucat posted:

Because the entire media has become loving obsessed with anti-immigration as a legitimate position rather than doing any serious inquiry into its claims which ties into a pro/anti-europe framing.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Highland result

SNP: 19,810, Lib Dems: 12,189, Labour: 9,163, Conservatives: 9,088, UKIP: 7,818, Greens: 5,615.

West Lothian and Scottish Borders results

Final two official declarations of the night come in. SNP retain West Lothian, and Conservatives retain Scottish Borders.

West Lothian - SNP: 14,279, Labour: 13,932, UKIP: 5,228.

Scottish Borders - Conservatives: 9,972, SNP: 6,775, Lib Dems: 5,465.

IceAgeComing posted:

That is fair: I'm just trying to say that its not a SURGE OF UKIP; they're ceiling seems to be 10% in Scotland. I know lots of people who would ordinarily have voted Green in PR elections (including me) ended up voting SNP to try to get rid of UKIP; so the Green vote are probably down a little bit over where they would normally be.

It really is kind of sad when people (me included) who think voting Green was the right time only to have the likes of UKIP get in because of a split. I was hoping that the number of Anti-EU parties would split the votes that would of gotten to UKIP but that seems rather minor.

At this point, every little helps I guess.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Extreme0 posted:

Scottish Borders - Conservatives: 9,972, SNP: 6,775, Lib Dems: 5,465.
What's the UKIP tally in the borders?

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

TinTower posted:

Half of the collapse is the typical squeeze on junior parties in coalition, though; also see the Labour Party in Ireland.

By 'them' I meant 'the BBC', maybe I should've clarified.

I just get the feeling most Lib Dem voters aren't voting Lib Dem because you know, they cosied up to Tories which is pretty much anathema to lefty protest vote, as opposed to Nick Clegg going "Europe and immigrants are pretty cool guys...like me...please?"

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
The gist im getting is that everyone who voted UKIP are idiots? That's a large proportion of the country that's being branded idiots. Oh and before you say 'well it was only a 34% turn out' well those that didn't vote, don't really have a say do they?

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

The gist im getting is that everyone who voted UKIP are idiots? That's a large proportion of the country that's being branded idiots. Oh and before you say 'well it was only a 34% turn out' well those that didn't vote, don't really have a say do they?

A UKIP spokesperson pretty much called people who vote for them "uneducated, uncultured and old", so take that as you will.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

The gist im getting is that everyone who voted UKIP are idiots? That's a large proportion of the country that's being branded idiots.

Well they did vote for UKIP. I think I'm allowed to call people who do idiotic things idiots.

North west: 3/3/2 Labour/UKIP/Tory ffffffff

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Well, we do seem to keep linking back to this article...

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
North West is in. 3 for UKIP and Labour, 2 for the Tories.

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014
gently caress Conservatives took one from Labour in North West. 3/3/2. Should've been 4/3/1.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

The gist im getting is that everyone who voted UKIP are idiots? That's a large proportion of the country that's being branded idiots.

That would appear to me an accurate summation of the intelligence of the british public, yes.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Lib Dems are taking a loving goddam pasting though.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Chucat posted:

By 'them' I meant 'the BBC', maybe I should've clarified.

I just get the feeling most Lib Dem voters aren't voting Lib Dem because you know, they cosied up to Tories which is pretty much anathema to lefty protest vote, as opposed to Nick Clegg going "Europe and immigrants are pretty cool guys...like me...please?"

There's really no way the Lib Dems would have kept their 2009/10 vote. If they'd have gone with Labour, the right-wing segment of the party would've revolted; if they'd have let the Tories run a minority administration, they'd have collapsed by either giving the Tories S&C or from lack of money to fight to Tory-engineered Autumn 2010 election.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
So that's everyone declared in Scotland except the Western Isles. I don't even know what the population of the Western Isles is. Is it realistically and/or physically possible for UKIP not to get the sixth seat now?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

TinTower posted:

There's really no way the Lib Dems would have kept their 2009/10 vote. If they'd have gone with Labour, the right-wing segment of the party would've revolted; if they'd have let the Tories run a minority administration, they'd have collapsed by either giving the Tories S&C or from lack of money to fight to Tory-engineered Autumn 2010 election.

The new third party needs to be the loving bolsheviks.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Angepain posted:

So that's everyone declared in Scotland except the Western Isles. I don't even know what the population of the Western Isles is. Is it realistically and/or physically possible for UKIP not to get the sixth seat now?

No, UKIP has it in the bag.

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014
I would say 'gently caress this lovely right wing country, i'm moving' but then it's pretty clear there aren't many countries to move to now. I guess Scotland, should it be independent.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Alecto posted:

I would say 'gently caress this lovely right wing country, i'm moving' but then it's pretty clear there aren't many countries to move to now. I guess Scotland, should it be independent.

Well, there's Sweden, who just elected a Feminist Party MEP, I guess?

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014

Delusibeta posted:

Well, there's Sweden, who just elected a Feminist Party MEP, I guess?

loving expensive, of course.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
So going by the results so far, the Lib Dems took a massive kicking, the SNP took a moderate kicking, the Tories got slightly scuffed, Labour came out unharmed but without landing any telling blows, the greens got a couple of cheeky hits in, and Farage kerbstomped errybody.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Pretty sure UKIP just won West Midlands...

edit: yep 3/2/2 UKIP/Labour/Conservative.

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014
gently caress me. That's 3/2/2 UKIP/Lab/Cn for west idlands then. Labour barely beating Conservatives.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

LemonDrizzle posted:

So going by the results so far, the Lib Dems took a massive kicking, the SNP took a moderate kicking, the Tories got slightly scuffed, Labour came out unharmed but without landing any telling blows, the greens got a couple of cheeky hits in, and Farage kerbstomped errybody.

Yeah.

:negative:

I don't think I've seen a single region where the lib dem vote is more than the amount of votes they've lost since last time, at least in %.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

LemonDrizzle posted:

I wouldn't say the SNP took a moderate kicking when they held their share of the vote almost exactly.

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014

Lugaloco posted:

I wouldn't say the SNP took a moderate kicking when they held their share of the vote almost exactly.

Considering they're in government, it's really pretty impressive. No doubt the referendum's loving with the usual effects a bit.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Lugaloco posted:

They were polling >40% at the start of the year and speculating about taking 4 MEPs. Over five months, they've lost a quarter of their support and potentially fallen back to only 2 MEPs. That's a pretty severe kicking.

QuantumCrayons
Apr 11, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

They were polling >40% at the start of the year and speculating about taking 4 MEPs. Over five months, they've lost a quarter of their support and potentially fallen back to only 2 MEPs. That's a pretty severe kicking.

Were they UK polls or Scotland specific polls? I remember seeing the UK ones giving odd numbers, but I never saw the Scotland ones.

Jedit posted:

^^^ Why would UK polls bother to include the SNP?
Because they did, I dunno why.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ Why would UK polls bother to include the SNP?

Angepain posted:

If UKIP get in by that kind of margin you will find me slumped in the corner screaming incoherently about electoral systems and preferential voting.

I fail to see your problem with the system. UKIP aren't getting in despite losing by that margin in one council, they're getting in because they didn't lose by that margin everywhere. I would consider it to be a bigger problem if the SNP were to get half of Scotland's six MEPs with less than a third of the vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014
Labour opposition barely beating a Conservative government in the midlands is more than a little depressing.

e: ECR just overtook the GUE-NGL in the Europarl predictions. FUCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK.

• Locked thread