Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

King of Solomon posted:

As long as you killed the red phantom by the boss fog, it's really not too bad, just run past everything; unequip your armor if you have to. Hell, if you jump off the bridge to a place the executioners can't reach you can apparently make them leash, which is really nice (also something I only learned by watching Kay fight the boss. I never would have figured it out on my own :v:)
Even if you haven't killed the Black Phantom, you can still goad him into an attack and then go on about entering the fog door. You probably don't even always need to goad him into doing something.

You can make them leash, and two of them usually fall off, anyways. It's kind of funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Babyface Mingo posted:

Sorry you're poo poo at the game bro.. hope you enjoy the rest of the game v:kiddo:v

The approach to Undead Purgatory is actually completely terrible and unfun though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why does being good/bad at a mostly singleplayer game even matter at all.

Also someone is running around Belfry Sol as an ultra-Renaissance duelist with powerstanced Poison Estocs and its terrifying. Two hits from the double stab and you get poisoned.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Babyface Mingo posted:

Sorry you're poo poo at the game bro.. hope you enjoy the rest of the game v:kiddo:v

Souls games always bring out the best in people. :allears:

StarkWhite posted:

The approach to Undead Purgatory is actually completely terrible and unfun though.

No see clearly you just need to git gud scrub :goonsay:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CJacobs posted:

Actually, I do know why it's tedious; because otherwise you could make the trip from the bonfire to the fog gate in precisely 1 minute of running past all of the non-retarded enemies because almost all of Huntman's Copse is a badly designed area.

Oh well that changes everything. Boring tedium is totally okay if the enemies move slowly enough!

edit: Also lol their pitiful jumping knee attack does exactly as much damage as being stabbed through the gut with a sword so that's also pretty funny.

Honestly bro it sounds like your definition of "boring tedium" seems to revolve around "whether or not I'm losing here"

Those guys on the way to the Purgatory are completely fair, fun fights. We're not talking about Drakekeeper style infinite stamina bullshit or anything. We're talking about a completely run of the mill encounter with wide arcs and high damage, but otherwise basically nothing out of character for the rest of the entire game.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The best part about that path is jumping off to the area with the bonfire ascetic and just watching the AI break as they slowly strafe side to side looking at you until eventually they fall of the bridge.

Alternatively just backstab the fuckers because they're so easy to backstab.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Tracula posted:

Souls games always bring out the best in people. :allears:

He's complaining about having to face 6 enemies on his way to an optional boss lmao

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nahxela posted:

Even if you haven't killed the Black Phantom, you can still goad him into an attack and then go on about entering the fog door. You probably don't even always need to goad him into doing something.

Well yeah, but I'd suggest killing it anyway. The drat thing is way too close to the door for my tastes.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Honestly bro it sounds like your definition of "boring tedium" seems to revolve around "whether or not I'm losing here"

For what it's worth, if you're doing it properly and not just running past the enemies, that run is very long and tedious. I wouldn't complain about it, personally, but I can see why someone would.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Babyface Mingo posted:

He's complaining about having to face 6 enemies on his way to an optional boss lmao

If it was difficult for a good reason and not "these enemies' weapons glow black so they do 3x the damage" I wouldn't be complaining. But I can see that you're one of those "lol git gud scrub :xd:" people so I won't bother arguing the point any further.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I'm pretty sure the path to the chariot is what it is because they wan't to make becoming a blood brotherhood member as annoying as possible

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

StarkWhite posted:

As long as soul memory governs pvp matchups, anything other than havel/hex is inarguably suboptimal, often to a very large degree.

Basically, blame From for skullfucking the pvp system in this game, not the players for using what they need to use to keep up.

That's the thing though, they don't need to use it to keep up, in fact those cookie cutter builds are usually those I now destroy so easily (unless lag fucks me over) because I've had so much practice against them. Sure they are great for stomping on scrubs but they are a lot like the drakesword in DS1, a crutch that will actually end up hurting you in the long run because you're relying on bullshit rather then actually getting good. Santiers are a loving joke if you have a whip or some throwables and havels is just a cry out to get covered in corrosive urns and acid fog.

I only complain because I find those builds so loving boring, both to play as and fight against and if people think they need to have one of those lovely builds to be able to actually compete, well, they're wrong.

Harry Joe fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 26, 2014

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

CJacobs posted:

Whoever designed the lead-up to the chariot fight should be tied down and forced to play it until their fingers fall off. I just want a loving lance in the early game, is that so much to ask? Why even put lances in the game if you're going to gate most of them until near the end???

I actually really enjoy the run-up to the Chariot. Those executioners are super fun to backstab.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I'll take the run to Undead Purgatory over the run to Smelter Demon any day.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

kazil posted:

I'll take the run to Undead Purgatory over the run to Smelter Demon any day.
After learning the ember jump, I enjoy running to Smelter. Doing that jump is super fun.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Harry Joe posted:

That's the thing though, they don't need to use it to keep up, in fact those cookie cutter builds are usually those I now destroy so easily (unless lag fucks me over) because I've had so much practice against them. Sure they are great for stomping on scrubs but they are a lot like the drakesword in DS1, a crutch that will actually end up hurting you in the long run because you're relying on bullshit rather then actually getting good. Santiers are a loving joke if you have a whip or some throwables and havels is just a cry out to get covered in corrosive urns and acid fog.

I only complain because I find those builds so loving boring, both to play as and fight against and if people think they need to have one of those lovely builds to be able to actually compete, well, they're wrong.

Ding ding ding. Watching Santier's/Hex/Monastery Scim users crumble into a pile of confusion and hesitation when you have a counter for all of their bullshit, while satisfying, gets old.

I am so tired of that build. I still get plenty of dudes who rely on good old fashioned footwork and whatnot but goddamn.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

CJacobs posted:

If it was difficult for a good reason and not "these enemies' weapons glow black so they do 3x the damage" I wouldn't be complaining. But I can see that you're one of those "lol git gud scrub :xd:" people so I won't bother arguing the point any further.

Uhh yeah okay let's discuss about how you believe that the path up to the Chariot is uhh tedious, difficult and boring bullshit because you have trouble with the 6 enemies up there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

The enemies do a lot of damage because they are tough enemies. Undead Purgatory is not a beginning area, and the enemies protecting it are designed accordingly. If you'll notice, the torturers don't show up anywhere else in the Copse. They only protect the path to Purgatory. This is because Undead Chariot isn't intended to be fought early. You can TRY, but you have to accept that its not going to be easy! The Torturers are one of the harder enemies in the game but there's nothing unfair about them.

That said, here's the easy way; run past them. Keep on spriting. Sprint all the way to the entrance to Purgatory and make the jump to where the sublime bone dust is. The Torturers will come up to the ledge and then their AI breaks because they have no clue what to do. Some will wander around for a few seconds while others fall off the bridge. Eventually they give up though, and from there you can just jump back over, juke the red phantom, and then get trampled by a horse.

EDIT: I guess I misspoke. I just remembered there is one Torturer guarding a treasure chest. Still, point is they aren't easy enemies intended to be fought at the same time as everything else there.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 26, 2014

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So I listened to you guys and bought an Uchigatana and managed to get a Blacksteel to drop. THEY ARE BOTH 40 DURABILITY? Are you kidding me. Why is this a thing. Why doesn't it at least level with upgrading? I broke both of them just progressing through the final section of Shaded Woods.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Nahxela posted:

After learning the ember jump, I enjoy running to Smelter. Doing that jump is super fun.

Is that where you jump to the ember straight from the door to the open area? I can barely do the jump to the sublime bone dust outside the purgatory :(

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

kater posted:

So I listened to you guys and bought an Uchigatana and managed to get a Blacksteel to drop. THEY ARE BOTH 40 DURABILITY? Are you kidding me. Why is this a thing. Why doesn't it at least level with upgrading? I broke both of them just progressing through the final section of Shaded Woods.

Katanas are low durability by design. Wear a bracing ring?

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Babyface Mingo posted:

You mean the short path that takes no longer than about 5 minutes? The one wherein you have to take your time and not aggro more than one enemy?

Oh yeah, incredibly stupid and bullshit design.

You know what Dark Souls needed? MMORPG styled mob pulling.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

kater posted:

Find the Bracing Knuckle Ring in the Lost Bastille, that should help durability issues until Drangleic Castle and Undead Crypt.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Night Blade posted:

That poo poo's been in the franchise since Demon's Souls. It's nothing new.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Internet Kraken posted:

The enemies do a lot of damage because they are tough enemies. Undead Purgatory is not a beginning area, and the enemies protecting it are designed accordingly. If you'll notice, the torturers don't show up anywhere else in the Copse. They only protect the path to Purgatory. This is because Undead Chariot isn't intended to be fought early. You can TRY, but you have to accept that its not going to be easy! The Torturers are one of the harder enemies in the game but there's nothing unfair about them.

N-no Internet Kraken, y'see it's tedious bullshit. *blocks ears* You're just one of the git gud scrub people!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm glad I have now been informed on the AI-breaking jump. I didn't think I would ever want to cheese enemies in this game because it feels disingenuous to do so but well here we are. All's well that ends well.

Internet Kraken posted:

This is a fair enough assessment. I'm glad you posted this instead of "well maybe you're just BAD AT THE GAME unlike ME HEH :smug:".

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 26, 2014

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Someone say something nice about scythes or twinblades, I was really looking forward to using one or the other but apparently they are complete poo poo. Is it possible to be competitive with either? I think I have all of them except for the curved twinblade at the moment.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Nahxela posted:

Haha I was caught off guard the first time I saw somebody do that. I was bluecopping, got summoned to defend an Apostle at Iron Keep and drove the invader off. He retreats into the Keep proper and leads me on a merry chase towards the Dull Ember and hurls himself off the edge. I thought he was suiciding in despair or something, so when I didn't see INVADER BANISHED I went up to the edge to :psyduck: that he'd made that jump.

Needless to say I was not dumb enough to try and copy him, I went around.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Ireland Sucks posted:

Someone say something nice about scythes or twinblades, I was really looking forward to using one or the other but apparently they are complete poo poo. Is it possible to be competitive with either? I think I have all of them except for the curved twinblade at the moment.
The Bone Scythe is a bit neat especially since it scales with Strength but the downside is the upgrade stones it uses.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Internet Kraken posted:

The enemies do a lot of damage because they are tough enemies. Undead Purgatory is not a beginning area, and the enemies protecting it are designed accordingly. If you'll notice, the torturers don't show up anywhere else in the Copse. They only protect the path to Purgatory.
Very minor correction, there's that one guy at the bottom of the area with the moonlight butterflies in that one cave.

kazil posted:

Is that where you jump to the ember straight from the door to the open area? I can barely do the jump to the sublime bone dust outside the purgatory :(
Yeah, it is. You should try it out. Clear out the enemies and have some fun (it helps to be naked).

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Probably the worst thing about that smelter jump is sometimes you will roll all the way down the stairs but just stop right before you fall into the lava.

Yeah it happen to me, I'm like yeah I stopped!

*turns around*

*falls*

goddamn it.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Shindragon posted:

Probably the worst thing about that smelter jump is sometimes you will roll all the way down the stairs but just stop right before you fall into the lava.

Yeah it happen to me, I'm like yeah I stopped!

*turns around*

*falls*

goddamn it.
For those sorts of jumps where you're afraid of rolling off after landing, if you can, you should try to use a plunging attack right before you land. It'll stop all your forward momentum.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I wish there were more secret kills like the Chariot. Like, if you brought the King's Mirror to Freja you could bait her laser and reflect it right back at her.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Night Blade posted:

Really? This has been in the series since Demon's Souls. It sure as hell was in Dark Souls. Pulling enemies out of a group to make it more manageable is hardly new and its not bad design either.

I mean come on.

Nahxela posted:

Very minor correction, there's that one guy at the bottom of the area with the moonlight butterflies in that one cave.

Yeah, I remembered that guy a bit too late :v:

quote:

Yeah, it is. You should try it out. Clear out the enemies and have some fun (it helps to be naked).

How hard is the jump to pull off with enemies around, and does it cause their AI to break and suicide? Iron Keep is one of the hardest parts of my dickwraith low SM runs because the enemies give a ton of souls and have a habit of leaping into the lava when you sprint past them. Not having to deal with that bridge could help.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Internet Kraken posted:

How hard is the jump to pull off with enemies around, and does it cause their AI to break and suicide? Iron Keep is one of the hardest parts of my dickwraith low SM runs because the enemies give a ton of souls and have a habit of leaping into the lava when you sprint past them. Not having to deal with that bridge could help.
It's not too bad, but you can't really give yourself more than a second to plan out the jump. Since it's Alonne Knights around, you know they're going to be hounding your butt. But once you make it, they stop caring about you.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Babyface Mingo posted:

N-no Internet Kraken, y'see it's tedious bullshit. *blocks ears* You're just one of the git gud scrub people!

Someone's not as good as me at a mostly singleplayer game!!! I cannot let this misdeed go unpunished. :spergin:

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

Ireland Sucks posted:

Yes it's possible to be competitive with them, everything is possible you just have to get used to your attacks and the ranges they hit as well as the speed they come out at. As far as I've heard their biggest flaw is the lowish damage but there are quite a few ways to work around that and you see them so rarely that they have a lot of moves that will surprise people.

Just make sure to have some other options, I find that the real pro strat in pvp is not just using a single weapon but changing things up to confuse and mix up your opponent, never rely on just a single weapon.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Ireland Sucks posted:

Dragonrider Twinblade, magic infusion, Magic Weapon spell line. Boom.

Also the class is good for poison procing.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Ireland Sucks posted:

I played through the game as a scythe-wielding hexer and the scythe moveset is really weird but it's kind of neat too. It's impractical, for sure, since you need enemies to be at a very specific distance to deal proper damage, but it feels very scythe-like and that's kind of fun. The scythe moveset definitely isn't as good as the DS1 Great Scythe (which was kind of just a reskinned halberd anyway) but it's unique and that's worth something, right? I'm pretty fond of the Scythe of Want's 2-handed heavy attack vertical spin thing, too.

Really the most disappointing thing about scythes is that the moves where you pull it back towards yourself don't reach around shields.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

powerful weedlock posted:

Someone's not as good as me at a mostly singleplayer game!!! I cannot let this misdeed go unpunished. :spergin:

Surely there is some middle ground between "git gud son" and "it's ok you died 100 times on the tutorial you're a fantastic person and I will always love you forever son"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I just had the best blue invasion ever, I get summoned to belfry sol and there's two grey spirits and the host. they're feeling each other with a few pokes.
I walk up behind the first grey spirit, backstab him with grorious nippon steel and then heavy power stancing the other phantom, just before this happened, the host ran down the ladder to heal, he comes up to see what the hell just happened while he was gone. I showed him what happened by instagibbing him with a heavy power stance :v:

EVERYONE IS A CRIMINAL