Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eonwe posted:

I got an Nvidia card with a Watch Dogs voucher that I've redeemed recently, but it isn't showing up in my Uplay library. Anyone had any experience with this?

Those don't show up until day of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Aphrodite posted:

The Pass itself doesn't occupy anything. On a console it's like 100kb to add an account flag. On PC I don't think it downloads anything at all.

Until the game's out there's no way to know how large that DLC pack it comes with is though.

Yeah I meant the DLC pack, and I guess that makes sense.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Obsidius posted:

I think it's taking about 25GB space on the HDD which isn't bad, load times are good and rare anyway.

If it actually is, this kind of makes me curious about how the PC version only takes up 14 GB. I've definitely noticed that even High textures have a lot of bizarrely low-res ads and signs, some of which the cutscene camera even focuses.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Theres also an "Ultra" setting for textures under the Display options. I get slight stuttering with it though, albeit only when I'm driving fassst. Not sure if the visual difference is worth it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
Playing in borderless window mode seems to have made my occasional stutter disappear. Also the chopper motorcycle is loving sweet.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Eonwe posted:

I got an Nvidia card with a Watch Dogs voucher that I've redeemed recently, but it isn't showing up in my Uplay library. Anyone had any experience with this?

Reread the email the confirmation email.

Ubisoft posted:

Note: If you order is a PC Download Pre Order, you will receive an additional email on the product's release date which will give you directions for finding your activation key and download link for your Pre Ordered product.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So the consensus amongst people that got it early is that it's good? Do the main missions feel inspired at all or do they mostly consist of pretty standard open world trappings?

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
Sucks they won't release this with so many people with a retail copy already.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

NESguerilla posted:

So the consensus amongst people that got it early is that it's good? Do the main missions feel inspired at all or do they mostly consist of pretty standard open world trappings?

It's good but flawed (comparisons to AC1 and as watch dogs being the establishing entrance into a franchise are pretty apt). It's squarely in open world gameplay territory but with some cool environment interaction mechanics, which is basically what the 'hacking' boils down to (you push a button, a thing happens). I would say the story feels kinda unfocused and like a lot of details are being left out, characters can be flat and motivations can be a bit confusing, eg Aiden gets pissed at his family being threatened but does it to other people all the time. Dude's kind of a scumbag.

Honestly even with the hacking crap put into the story, this is pretty Grand Theft Auto-ish, it's gangster stuff all the way down.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

NESguerilla posted:

Standard open world trappings with the inclusion of hacking gimmick is what I'd call it.

If you're a sucker for anything open world, you'll probably get at least some enjoyment out of it. But if you demand your open world games to be polished, you'll want to look elsewhere.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I think calling the hacking a gimmick is a bit reductive, it's a marketing gimmick for sure, but it's a mechanic like any other in the game, be it driving or shooting. I think it makes the game more satisfying, we need more games that push for environment interaction.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

cat doter posted:

I think calling the hacking a gimmick is a bit reductive, it's a marketing gimmick for sure, but it's a mechanic like any other in the game, be it driving or shooting. I think it makes the game more satisfying, we need more games that push for environment interaction.
It's not a gimmick because you can't shoot out of your car (as far as I can tell) so it's the only way you can manage to actually stop people during chase sequences.

Also, I can't remember the last open world, sandbox, driving with guns game that didn't let you shoot out of the cars. It's an interesting but odd choice which helps the hacking shine with importance.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
If you could shoot out of your car and use the phone for hacks at the same time, I'm sure there'd be people crying about their ~immersion~.

It's a fun sandbox that could use a little more depth, but it's fine for what it is.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

DaveKap posted:

It's not a gimmick because you can't shoot out of your car (as far as I can tell) so it's the only way you can manage to actually stop people during chase sequences.

Also, I can't remember the last open world, sandbox, driving with guns game that didn't let you shoot out of the cars. It's an interesting but odd choice which helps the hacking shine with importance.

I don't think that makes it a gimmick, but it's an area of criticism sure. I think it was a shortcut that the developers made to force people to use the hacking mechanics instead of resorting to shooting every time they're being chased, which is absolutely what would have happened. All games are about boundaries and rules though, this is just one of those rules.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If you're a sucker for anything open world, you'll probably get at least some enjoyment out of it. But if you demand your open world games to be polished, you'll want to look elsewhere.

What was the last "polished" open world game in your opinion? In my mind it's a genre well known for janky/buggy/oddball scenarios happening, from TES, to Saints Row, to Far Cry, to GTA, to AssCreed. None of these games strike me as well polished games in either their gameplay or their stability. In fact it's things breaking in hilarious ways all at once that create the moments most people remember them for.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I shot a dude with my assault rifle and he fell over and hit a barrel which made the physics wig out and sent the guy flying, that's my favourite moment in watch dogs so far.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm kinda disappointed at the end of the game you didn't get any kind of reward for beating it. Saints row 4 gave you some cool powers at the end and I was hoping for some cool hacks as a reward

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Just watched a friend stream himself using a trainer (Yeah, trainers already exist before the game's even been released) to give himself infinite health, focus and ammo. Watching all those explosions and goofy ragdolls in slow-motion has made me realize how much I love the particles and physics in this game :allears:

Fake edit: Also, the best part of pretty much any open-world game is when its different ~emergent~ systems conflict and create hilarious unintentional results. Lack of polish is only really bad in games like this when it's gamebreaking/annoying.

Moartoast fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 26, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rookersh posted:

What was the last "polished" open world game in your opinion? In my mind it's a genre well known for janky/buggy/oddball scenarios happening, from TES, to Saints Row, to Far Cry, to GTA, to AssCreed. None of these games strike me as well polished games in either their gameplay or their stability. In fact it's things breaking in hilarious ways all at once that create the moments most people remember them for.
All of those games had bugs, yeah, but at least their core mechanics made them more fun to play than this game. Well, some of them. For example, Far Cry 2 and ACs 1, 3 and 4 were less enjoyable to me than other games in their respective series.

If there's a Watch Dogs sequel that has much improved driving, gunplay and a better story, hell, I'll be down for that.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Moartoast posted:

Just watched a friend stream himself using a trainer (Yeah, trainers already exist before the game's even been released) to give himself infinite health, focus and ammo. Watching all those explosions and goofy ragdolls in slow-motion has made me realize how much I love the particles and physics in this game :allears:

Fake edit: Also, the best part of pretty much any open-world game is when its different ~emergent~ systems conflict and create hilarious unintentional results. Lack of polish is only really bad in games like this when it's gamebreaking/annoying.

I wonder what Ubisoft's policy towards trainers will be, considering that there's a multiplayer component.

AllLuckySevens
Oct 15, 2012
Watchdogs is a great example of a game held back by last gen hardware. Hacking can lead to some interesting emergent gameplay, but for the most part its hypersimplified, largely contextual and localized.

Visually, it's all over the place. Animations and character models look excellent, but the city feels bland and empty. I think this is going to be an interesting franchise going forward.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cantorsdust posted:

I wonder what Ubisoft's policy towards trainers will be, considering that there's a multiplayer component.

I'd guess that the multiplayer is done through Uplay, and they might have some sort of detection for using trainers(I wouldn't guarantee it, though.). I don't think the cracked versions are using Uplay.

Also, trainers are actually really easy to make for most games, I'm not surprised there's one out for this game already.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I saw on a stream a guy kill about 5 people and then as people started to call in the murders he kept killing people. This went on for about 2-3 minutes before there was about 10 people calling at once (it seems if you kill the person calling you stop the crime from being reported). There was a LOT of civilians and although all it did was get on the cop's bad side it was nice to see there isn't limitations on that kind of stuff. He probably killed a good 60 people before he couldn't keep up with killing the callers.

Also in that stream the car he was on was on fire and he jumped out as used traffic light and about 4 cars drove into a massive explosion causing at least 6-8 cars explode and causing a massive pile up.

In short this looks like the most amazing rear end in a top hat simulator ever made. I can't wait to get a poo poo ton of grenades (please tell me you can get a poo poo ton of grenades) and just rain them down on car pile ups.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Meowbot posted:

I saw on a stream a guy kill about 5 people and then as people started to call in the murders he kept killing people. This went on for about 2-3 minutes before there was about 10 people calling at once (it seems if you kill the person calling you stop the crime from being reported). There was a LOT of civilians and although all it did was get on the cop's bad side it was nice to see there isn't limitations on that kind of stuff. He probably killed a good 60 people before he couldn't keep up with killing the callers.

Also in that stream the car he was on was on fire and he jumped out as used traffic light and about 4 cars drove into a massive explosion causing at least 6-8 cars explode and causing a massive pile up.

In short this looks like the most amazing rear end in a top hat simulator ever made. I can't wait to get a poo poo ton of grenades (please tell me you can get a poo poo ton of grenades) and just rain them down on car pile ups.

No grenades I think, but you can make remote detonated bombs.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

There are grenades, but you can only carry 4. Probably pretty easy to make unlimited with a trainer though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DaveKap posted:

Mafia 2.

Enemies can shoot you out of theirs though.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Meowbot posted:

You can have:

Two grenade launchers. One is single shot, the other is pump action.
Up to... eight frag grenades I think.
Six remote IEDs.
Six proximity IEDs.

I think there's another explosive, but yeah. You can pack around a lot of boom :D

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

cat doter posted:

There are grenades, but you can only carry 4. Probably pretty easy to make unlimited with a trainer though.

Sure is. Also there doesn't seem to be a limit on how many IEDs you can place, and you can shoot thrown explosives out of the air. Might link a highlight from the stream recording or something in a bit so y'all can see how ridiculous poo poo gets with infinite everything.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

DaveKap posted:

It'd be pretty OP if you could shoot out of windows. Shredding tires works differently as nailing one of them causes them to get out of the car.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Has there ever been an Ubisoft Sandbox where the plot isn't linear, you can complete a mission any way you want, and the only fail-state is death? Like Fallout, basically.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 26, 2014

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

big duck equals goose posted:

Debatable, at best.

It's really loving goony.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Has there ever been an Ubisoft Sandbox where the plot isn't linear, you can complete a mission any way you want, and the only fail-state is death? Fallout, basically.

Far Cry 3 could be that way.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I actually really love the game. Maybe I'm just broken but I think it's excellent overall.

That being said, waiting on a discount on the season pass. This is $70 good but not $90 good :geno:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Season Passes never really go on sale.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, even if the game itself goes down to 20 bucks the season pass will stay the same price.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, even if the game itself goes down to 20 bucks the season pass will stay the same price.

And this is why I never buy DLC....

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The ending to Asura's Wrath is still like $8. Not including any other DLC that's only voiced in Japanese. Welcome to gaming 2.0 I suppose.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Aphrodite posted:

Mafia 2.

Enemies can shoot you out of theirs though.
Passengers can shoot out of cars ( I recall seeing a tooltip saying as much ), but obviously that only comes into play during multiplayer.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Seems there's not going to be a Steam preload and VPN won't work...

drat, should have bought retail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I like the not shooting out of cars. It forces you to be a little more creative and to use the environmental hacks against your opponents.

• Locked thread