Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Moridin920 posted:

Doesn't matter, here's what happens in reality:

"Hi kids I'm going to assume you totally forgot everything you learned last year because reasons, we're going to spend a few weeks reviewing poo poo you already know." then that becomes the whole 1st semester and the 2nd you're rushing through the book to get to all the material that needs to get covered. Forever, until you graduate from high school.

Inch deep and a mile wide.

I'd be happy if my students could remember what I taught them last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
did anyone else take a year of geometry in which you did not actually learn anything new
it was fun if you like brain teasers but christ what a waste of time
fun story: we moved from a rural town to an inner-city school district and i mostly waited 3 years for the curriculum of almost all subjects to catch up before i could learn anything again
it wasnt even much of a city

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I've never heard a good argument about academics that began with complaints about rote memorization.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

argondamn posted:

I've never heard a good argument about academics that began with complaints about rote memorization.
this works against both sides of this youre gonna have to reiterate

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012
You don't teach intuition by adding explicit steps, and basic arithmetic should be a practical skill instead of a grand entry into the magical world of mathematics

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Lightanchor posted:

You don't teach intuition by adding explicit steps, and basic arithmetic should be a practical skill instead of a grand entry into the magical world of mathematics

sorry but this thread requires references now, before you give your opinion you will need to either give your credentials or cite a source for your argument.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
who set the gbs time machine to 1.0

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012
I have a P.H.D. in tenuously caring about dumb internet arguments where nothing's at stake

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

argondamn posted:

The funny thing about education theorists is that they always crusade against rote memorization and pledge to replace it with these awesome new learning strategies and ideas that require... rote memorization for the kids to learn them. Only now instead of memorizing times tables kids are trying to memorize strategies to apply to different equations, or instead of doing vocabulary work and phonics kids are learning "reading strategies" that don't do poo poo.

The amount of kids I have that can't tell me when America's Independence Day is (July 4th, 1776) is astounding. But then again, most public schools in poor areas have completely cut social studies (and science) from their curriculum in the early grades. I can already see middle schools moving to make social studies classes fancy reading classes, and after that, well, got to make sure high school kids can read information texts right???

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I blame western decadence,video games, fast food, etc.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I blame schools that don't teach relevant curriculum to kids and go 'you're either going to college or not, and if you're not you get put in the 'dumb' classes and nobody pays attention to you, have fun.'

Then even if you do succeed all the system really does is teach you how to be a hard worker to build up some rear end in a top hat's company even more. It doesn't teach you anything about solving social problems or interacting with other people. No trade skills for anyone because the only kids that matter are the college bound ones.

Then people wonder why kids don't give a poo poo.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 26, 2014

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Lightanchor posted:

I have a P.H.D. in tenuously caring about dumb internet arguments where nothing's at stake

i hope that's from a credentialed institution?

naem
May 29, 2011

So glad I'm done with school forever

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012
Topeka State

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
We are all going to upload into robot bodies one day. Might as well get down with the inevitable and teach our kids binary.

Gulzin
Jan 3, 2004
A little gnome hasn't hurt anybody

Lightanchor posted:

We shouldn't teach real math until they had at least 10 years of bullshit rote memorization problems. Once they get those basic skills under their belts, then they can have a grand entry into the magical world of mathematics.

We should also teach music by having kids write perfect compositions before we let them pick up any precious instrument. After 10 years of writing fugues and memorizing the circle of fifths, then they can grab a recorder.

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
Americans failing is only a good thing

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

Gulzin posted:

We shouldn't teach real math until they had at least 10 years of bullshit rote memorization problems. Once they get those basic skills under their belts, then they can have a grand entry into the magical world of mathematics.

We should also teach music by having kids write perfect compositions before we let them pick up any precious instrument. After 10 years of writing fugues and memorizing the circle of fifths, then they can grab a recorder.

More like, we should teach kids how to read basic sheet music long before we teach them harmonics. It's often important to be able to add and subtract two digit numbers quickly and how to add and subtract larger numbers if necessary, so it's good to teach that to children.

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012
You can teach that subtraction is just inverse addition by saying it, out loud, when it's relevant and they're old enough to understand. As far as recognizing the useful aspects of base 10 numbering goes,

Gulzin
Jan 3, 2004

Lightanchor posted:

More like, we should teach kids how to read basic sheet music long before we teach them harmonics. It's often important to be able to add and subtract two digit numbers quickly and how to add and subtract larger numbers if necessary, so it's good to teach that to children.

Oh, so when was the last time you had to quickly add and subtract two digit numbers quickly? Were you faster than a calculator?

Also, if you had to do it quickly, did you do it with pen and paper, because common core's method makes it MUCH easier to do in your head?

Quickly do 42-29. By common core's method it is easy to do in your head: 29+1=30, 30+10=40, 40+2=42, so 1+10+2=13.

Now do it quickly with the borrow method.

Edit:

Lightanchor posted:

You can teach that subtraction is just inverse addition by saying it, out loud, when it's relevant and they're old enough to understand. As far as recognizing the useful aspects of base 10 numbering goes,

It is? So you have teaching experience?
Please tell me your amazing method here, because I have college students who still don't get this.

Gulzin fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 26, 2014

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
cant these idiots just teach their kids about differentials, integrals, and 3rd+ order tensors like regular idiots

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

the top one is just shorthand for the bottom one though

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Look, it seems you guys don't understand the way this works. I made a couple phone calls to a few guys that were on the Washington state board that helped setup the adoption of the CC standards in our state (OSPI). They said this:

"Rhonyn, tell your friends that it is very complex, however: They say we are only using a fraction of our brain's true potential. That's when we are going about our daily lives. When we are learning, our mind can do almost anything. Imagine you are, in this case, learning math. You consciously create each part of the math situation. Sometimes it feels like it is creating itself. This is Genuine Inspiration. Now, when learning, our mind continuously does this: we create and learn in our surroundings simultaneously. Our mind does it so well we don't even know it is happening. The Common Core allows us to get right in the middle of that process by taking over the creative part."

I hope that cleared up a great deal of the confusion surrounding this for you guys. I know it did for me!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Gulzin posted:

Oh, so when was the last time you had to quickly add and subtract two digit numbers quickly? Were you faster than a calculator?

Also, if you had to do it quickly, did you do it with pen and paper, because common core's method makes it MUCH easier to do in your head?

Quickly do 42-29. By common core's method it is easy to do in your head: 29+1=30, 30+10=40, 40+2=42, so 1+10+2=13.

you are kidding with all of this right

Gulzin
Jan 3, 2004

gary oldmans diary posted:

It is how most people who figure it out do mental arithmetic. I wouldn't do it exactly like that, but when I teach I always do addition/subtraction/multiplication in my head. 42-29 is computed like this for me:

29+10=39. 39+3=42. So 13.

Have you not read all the posts of people saying: "so they are just teaching how we do it in our heads" in here?

Here is the other perspective. Most of my students cannot subtract and multiply two digit numbers in courses I have taught that are below Calculus I. So in my limited experience, your method is failing there too.

Edit: I would gladly deal with them not knowing how to multiply by hand if they actually understand how number systems worked. If I had a college algebra student understand that x/2= 1/2*x, I'd deal with them not knowing 11*12=132.

Gulzin fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 26, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Do enough math and in the same way you unthinkingly know that 'can not' is the same thing as 'can't,' you will also know that '6' is the same thing as '4+2.' If you saw 4 + 2, it'd resolve automatically. You'd just know it reflexively. No thought required, no attention spent. It resolves automatically. Chunk up larger problems into auto-resolving chunks. The math does itself.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well it is pretty sad when adults can't add/subtract 2 digit numbers.

Accretionist posted:

Do enough math and in the same way you unthinkingly know that 'can not' is the same thing as 'can't,' you will also know that '6' is the same thing as '4+2.' If you saw 4 + 2, it'd resolve automatically. You'd just know it reflexively. No thought required, no attention spent. It resolves automatically. Chunk up larger problems into auto-resolving chunks. The math does itself.

much like how I will instinctively deliver a savage roundhouse kick to my assailants.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
"my" method works worldwide
when i see a 2-digit math problem i know the answer faster than i could reach for a calculator
youre nuts

Gulzin
Jan 3, 2004

"my" method works worldwide
when i see a 2-digit math problem i know the answer faster than i could reach for a calculator
youre nuts

It worked for you. Great. It also worked for me. I then learned other methods that were better.

It did not work for many others. This is the problem.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Moridin920 posted:

the top one is just shorthand for the bottom one though

Nope. The bottom one is CEDFADBACBDCECDC

Who the gently caress learns treble clef like that anyways? I always learned "FACE in the space" and then the rest was easy.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gulzin posted:

Given that it takes me at least a few seconds to hit the start button, type 'calc' and hit enter, then wait for the calculator to come up and type the numbers in, yeah I can loving do 42-29 in my head faster than a calculator.

Cowman posted:

Nope. The bottom one is CEDFADBACBDCECDC

saw that after I posted but my point was that one isn't replacing the other at all

it's not like bach wrote all his music like CEDFADBACBDCECDC and then we all started using sheet music in the 1900s or something

Gulzin
Jan 3, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

Given that it takes me at least a few seconds to hit the start button, type 'calc' and hit enter, then wait for the calculator to come up and type the numbers in, yeah I can loving do 42-29 in my head faster than a calculator.

saw that after I posted but my point was that one isn't replacing the other at all

it's not like bach wrote all his music like CEDFADBACBDCECDC and then we all started using sheet music in the 1900s or something

And I add and subtract 9-10 digit numbers with ease (I can do 3-4 digit multiplications). I have also gotten good at estimating weird divisions in my head. I am also trying to convey that their method is EVEN better than yours.

But hey, if it worked for you, it'll work for everyone, right?

E: even Art Benjamin hasn't mastered 9-10 digit numbers in his head. Also, anyone can get good at mental math if they just practice it enough.

Gulzin fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 26, 2014

The Big Pinch
Jan 25, 2003

I love hairy man ass!
Common Core will fail since it doesn't solve the actual problems.

1. Math isn't 'cool'
2. Math takes effort and kids are lazy
3. Parents are stupid and don't care

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gulzin posted:

And I add and subtract 9-10 digit numbers with ease (I can do 3-4 digit multiplications). I have also gotten good at estimating weird divisions in my head. I am also trying to convey that their method is EVEN better than yours.

E: even Art Benjamin hasn't mastered 9-10 digit numbers in his head.

Nah if the math people think it's good then I'll let them do their thing.

It's just kind of surprising to me that people need to work an algorithm in their head to do basic arithmetic, that's all.

Gulzin
Jan 3, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

Nah if the math people think it's good then I'll let them do their thing.

It's just kind of surprising to me that people need to work an algorithm in their head to do basic arithmetic, that's all.

It always starts that way until they master the underlying system. Again (and I should say this on every page), common core will not solve all of our woes. It is just a step in the right direction.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

that breaking apart numbers to make 10 to make subtraction easier thing is actually pretty friggin good

i mean, i could subtract mentally before, but its a good shortcut that i'll probably use in my day to day life

edit: i only read the first page

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 26, 2014

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Gulzin posted:

It worked for you. Great. It did not work for many others.
so you are saying this solves a global problem in mathematical education that is for some reason mostly just emergent in the usa; that even though the correlation is precisely with the a low-standards curriculum change that its actually the mathematical processes themselves that are to blame for just not being adequately adaptable to the human american brain

Gulzin posted:

E: even Art Benjamin hasn't mastered 9-10 digit numbers in his head. Also, anyone can get good at mental math if they just practice it enough.
get a calculator clownboat

Gulzin
Jan 3, 2004

so you are saying this solves a global problem in mathematical education that is for some reason mostly just emergent in the usa; that even though the correlation is precisely with the a low-standards curriculum change that its actually the mathematical processes themselves that are to blame for just not being adequately adaptable to the human american brain

No, but many of the top scoring math countries already re-aligned their curriculum to be better than ours (see Finland). I would rather we take a step in the right direction, rather than saying "COMMON CORE SUCKS. IT IS CRAZY MATH NOONE WOULD EVER DO!".

Also, this isn't to realign it to the human brain, this is to introduce the more important underlying mathematical concepts at the cost of teaching new, slower algorithms.

Upping standards would solve many of our problems, but you can guess why that wont happen any time soon.

Edit: I would get a calculator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
commoncore my fav type of punk rock

• Locked thread